2018 Free agency talk/rumors

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

2018 Free agency talk/rumors

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 am

Sounds like there are a couple of possible destinations for LeBron. Cleveland, LA, Houston, Philadelphia.

Are there any rules against taking less than what you are worth? How crazy would it be if LeBron took 15 mil to play in Houston with cp3. Or like the veteran's minimum
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Re: 2018 Free agency talk/rumors

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Only the rule of thumb to know your own worth, and make as much money while your earning potential is at its highest. In terms of the CBA, he can opt out and sign somewhere from the veteran minimum if he really wants. However, he does need to opt out. He's not actually a free agent this year unless and until he does.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:50 am

With the Hornets' acquisition of Timofey Mozgov, who won a title alongside LeBron James in 2016, it can only mean one thing...

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:51 pm

With the Mavs drafting of Doncic, it seems the only position of need is center. Carlisle said they will be looking in free agency for options.

Capela seems to be a pretty good fit.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:29 pm

Mavs still a long way to go to be competing.
Assuming Doncic turns out good the only other guaranteed starter there is Smith. Dirk won’t be playing forever, only reason Barnes is still with the team is because they can’t easily move his contract, Seth Curry injury prone like his brother but less talented, rest of the roster are either old or scrubs.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby deihatein on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:30 pm

shadowgrin wrote:only reason Barnes is still with the team is because they can’t easily move his contract

His contract sucks sure but he still young and improving. In Golden State he is just a spot-up shooter, with the Mavericks he has been a pretty good ISO scorer. Sure at best he is a third or fourth option but his current production is miles better than any SF in the league aside from Lebron and maybe PG.

Not every team should be trading their assets for first round picks any chance they get. The Mavericks aren't contending this season and that's fine by me. They are rebuilding but in a way to make the team better until the pieces start to fit. GS didn't really became a contender until Curry exploded into a franchise player.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby Lamrock on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:50 am

Sure at best he is a third or fourth option but his current production is miles better than any SF in the league aside from Lebron and maybe PG.

Better than the guy who replaced him in Golden State?

Barnes is a good guy to have around. While he's way overpaid for a guy who's arguably an average starter, he has a valuable skillset, championship experience, and by all accounts is a consummate professional. He and Wes Matthews are fantastic tank commanders because they are seemingly good locker room guys who won't run the risk of winning you too many games. I think that's what Sacramento attempted last summer with the signings of Hill, Randolph and Carter.

It does seem awfully likely that they'll add DeAndre Jordan or DeMarcus Cousins. I'm not sure either would be a good idea, but if Doncic is really good out of the gates, they could sign another big name next summer as well.
Lamrock

Postby Jackie Kong on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:04 am

So in the Doncic trade, Mavs had the option to include Matthews and Bazemore instead of the top 5 protected 2019 1st. You think they made the right move? Personally, I don't get it. I am under the impression that they intend to compete next season but I don't see how that is possible.
Jackie Kong

Postby deihatein on Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:23 am

Lamrock wrote:
Sure at best he is a third or fourth option but his current production is miles better than any SF in the league aside from Lebron and maybe PG.

Better than the guy who replaced him in Golden State?

Barnes is a good guy to have around. While he's way overpaid for a guy who's arguably an average starter, he has a valuable skillset, championship experience, and by all accounts is a consummate professional. He and Wes Matthews are fantastic tank commanders because they are seemingly good locker room guys who won't run the risk of winning you too many games. I think that's what Sacramento attempted last summer with the signings of Hill, Randolph and Carter.

It does seem awfully likely that they'll add DeAndre Jordan or DeMarcus Cousins. I'm not sure either would be a good idea, but if Doncic is really good out of the gates, they could sign another big name next summer as well.

I forgot about Durant :lol:

I wouldn't call Barnes a tank commander, Wes probably but the Mavericks wasn't really supposed to tank the season they got Barnes. Combination of injuries, poor play and atrocious start that led to them tanking.

Yeah, the Mavericks have a glaring need at Center. I see Capela being rumored but him being RFA the Rockets can just match him. Powell has improve a ton since being named starter last season, especially after that failed experiment where the Mavs forced him to be a stretch four rather than the rolling big he is now, he still not that good defensively though so I don't know.

Jackie Kong wrote:So in the Doncic trade, Mavs had the option to include Matthews and Bazemore instead of the top 5 protected 2019 1st. You think they made the right move? Personally, I don't get it. I am under the impression that they intend to compete next season but I don't see how that is possible.

Maybe? Contract wise Bazemore doesn't expire till next season while Matthews is. I don't expect the team to be that good immediately even with the addition of Doncic but probably a noticeable improvement next season. I see them finishing between 38-40 wins, that's being generous though.

I think Rick Carlisle coaching will definitely play a big factor. Without the incentive to tank, he is not going to play lineups that is designed to lose in the fourth quarter anymore, I mean he made a Barea-Yogi-Harris-Dirk-Powell lineup playable in a short while.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:54 pm

I wouldn't call Barnes a tank commander, Wes probably but the Mavericks wasn't really supposed to tank the season they got Barnes. Combination of injuries, poor play and atrocious start that led to them tanking.

The Mavs found out Barnes wasn't all what they thought he was, he kills the Mavs 'flow' offense when he gets the ball.
That poor play and atrocius start can be attributed to him.
He was underwhelming as the 1st option in his first Mavs season (Dirk only played 54 games even if he led the team in usg) that instead of making him the legit 1st option in his second season the team eventually made their rookie PG as the 1st option.
He's the de facto tank commander in chief.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Barnes isn't at all a bad player, but he basically got the Trevor Ariza treatment when the Mavericks signed him. The Warriors got Durant, the Mavericks got the talented role player who looked great on a stacked team surrounded by legit stars. His numbers did increase with a bigger role and they're at least respectable, but he's not a franchise player.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:02 pm

Any rim-running lob catcher good roller big will do wonders for Doncic.

Both Capela or Jordan would be amazing acquisitions.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby air gordon on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:03 am

shadowgrin wrote:Mavs still a long way to go to be competing.
Assuming Doncic turns out good the only other guaranteed starter there is Smith. Dirk won’t be playing forever, only reason Barnes is still with the team is because they can’t easily move his contract, Seth Curry injury prone like his brother but less talented, rest of the roster are either old or scrubs.

DSJ breakout is coming

barnes was what? 1 for 25 in the finals 2 years ago. a mere hiccup on his resume since he does have championship experience
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:20 pm

Paul George has informed the Thunder he's opting out to become an unrestricted free agent. Can we assume he's gone? Sounds to me like he's out the door, unless they make one hell of a pitch.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Alejandrov011 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:37 am

Andrew wrote:Paul George has informed the Thunder he's opting out to become an unrestricted free agent. Can we assume he's gone? Sounds to me like he's out the door, unless they make one hell of a pitch.

Mmm... maybe if OKC offers a ton of money... but seems he's going all the way to Lakerland...

Now, if he commits early to LA, he can maybe pitch another star caliber player,
Lebron? Nah,
Kawhi? Maybe...
Alejandrov011
Leading the NBA in assists since NBA Live 2001

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:17 am

Rumors lately have him staying in OKC, which is causing the other rumors of Lakers panicking and trying to trade for Kawhi to try to get LeBron to come.

Best case scenario is that PG commits to the Lakers instantly at midnight July 1st and then they can go from there. I don't think Lakers have a shot at LeBron if they don't get PG to commit early

Personally I don't think trading for Leonard is a good idea when you can just wait until next season to sign him without giving up any young players, plus Deng is an expiring contract next summer
I could see Boston having enough assets to get Leonard but no guarantees he is more than a one year rental
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:23 am

LeBron officially opts out as well. I want to say it turns out to be much ado about nothing and he remains in Cleveland, but I've picked him to stay where he was in 2010 and 2014 and obviously been wrong. Third time's the charm, perhaps? I'd be really surprised if he went West.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:40 am

All this opting out was expected, so we'll have to wait for the real action in July. I really do think it's a two horse race but Philly and Houston do offer compelling and better choices if he wants to win.

The Leonard situation is confusing. Why would these teams gamble on a one year rental I hopes he stays or is able to influence other free agents they probably can't afford? Or in the Lakers case, dumping a bunch of their assets for one player. There won't be much of a team left to contend

What might be interesting is if whether LeBron signs in Cleveland or LA is if he signs a 1 year or 1+1 deal and we go through the same process again next year. Everyone seems to be assuming he (and the other big free agents) will be signing max deals for the maximum amount of years.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:52 am

If PG13 and Kawhi don't go to Lakers, you think LeBron staying in Cavs or going to Philly?
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:00 am

It would be easy for him to stay in Cleveland, but he might think they've peaked and still got swept by Golden State so I think he might go to Philly if winning is as important as he says it is.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:16 am

What might be interesting is if whether LeBron signs in Cleveland or LA is if he signs a 1 year or 1+1 deal and we go through the same process again next year. Everyone seems to be assuming he (and the other big free agents) will be signing max deals for the maximum amount of years

As good as he still is, LeBron's 33 now, I doubt he'd sign a short contract like he used to in his prime.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:09 am

But he should be just as good next summer and could sign long term wherever Leonard signs or even George if he does a 1 year deal too
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:12 am

Leonard seems eager to play for the Lakers, so they at least should feel confident in their ability to re-sign him next year if they trade for him.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:08 pm

Vegas and a few sites give the Lakers the inside track on lbj. Wow!
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:31 pm

If LeBron goes to the Lakers, then I wonder what that means for Lonzo Ball. LeBron operates best when he's the primary ballhandler and surrounded by shooters; as many people have pointed out, Lonzo's strengths appear to lie in playmaking rather than shooting and scoring at the NBA level (at least so far), so if LeBron takes over playmaking duties, Lonzo is going to need to be a better spot up shooter. Look at the way Chris Bosh and Kevin Love turned into spot up shooters playing alongside LeBron, and effective ones at that. Look how he's been surrounded by players like Ray Allen, J.R. Smith, and Kyle Korver. If LeBron goes to the Lakers, does Lonzo become completely redundant and get forced out?

I mean, I'm guessing most Lakers fans would take LeBron over Lonzo, even for a couple of years, but if he becomes an afterthought then that's a big blow to the Big Baller Brand. If nothing else, can Lonzo be the effective shooter that LeBron needs, given his preferred style of play? That's how he's found success and won championships, being able to run the offense and kick it out to shooters. If he can't be that, I could see LeBron forcing him out for someone who better complements his style of play.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball