2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Golden State vs. (6) New Orleans

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What's gonna happen?

Warriors in 4
20%
Warriors in 5
40%
Warriors in 6
20%
Warriors in 7
No votes
Pelicans in 4
No votes
Pelicans in 5
No votes
Pelicans in 6
10%
Pelicans in 7
10%
Warriors lose, but Draymond wins Ru-Paul's Drag Race as "Draymond Queen"
No votes
Not relevant to this series, but FUCK WESTBROOK
No votes

Total votes : 10

2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Golden State vs. (6) New Orleans

Postby Lamrock on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Golden State completing the gentleman's sweep of the Spurs gives us our first second round match-up, versus the New Orleans Pelicans.

The big question surrounding the Warriors is of course the status of two-time MVP Steph Curry. While they were able to crush a short-handed Spurs team, they are certainly much more vulnerable without him. Truth be told, I'd still pick them to win it all even if he missed the rest of the post-season, but their offense definitely takes a huge hit with him on the sidelines. He's expected back sometime in the middle of this series, but we'll see how well he does. He was clearly hobbled in the 2016 playoffs, a big reason why they almost lost to OKC and did lose to Cleveland.

For the Pelicans.. well, they are the only team to record a sweep in the first round, becoming the first team to sweep a 3 seed in the first round since... they did it as the Charlotte Hornets back in 2001. They looked like an elite team in the first round, with Jrue playing the best ball of his career, playoff Rondo playing connect 4 wins in a row, Mirotic making everything, and AD showing why he's a top 5 player. That they were playing against a flawed, mentally weak Blazers team should take nothing away from what they accomplished.

Still, I'm going with the Warriors in 5 very close games. Kevin Durant is going to have a field day, and I think Steve Kerr will actually bother to make adjustments and game plan for the Pels.
Lamrock

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Golden State vs. (6) New Orleans

Postby Andrew on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:03 am

I'll go with the Warriors in 5 as well. Depending on whether Curry returns and how effective he can be, maybe the Pelicans can win a second game to push it to six and give Golden State something to think about with a momentary scare. I underestimated New Orleans in Round 1, but these are the Warriors we're talking about; a more difficult opponent than Portland to put it mildly. An upset seems highly unlikely to say the least.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 am

Warriors in a hard fought 6, or even 7. The Pelicans confidence is sky high, and I think the Warriors are vulnerable without Curry (If he indeed is out for a big part of the series). I feel like Davis will be able to have his way around the basket, and am wondering if Durant will be on him most of the series. I like the defensive tenacity of the Pelicans, wondering if Klay might be held in check for most of this series.

This Pelicans team is intriguing, one of the more interesting teams to me in playoff history.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Ws in 6 because of no Curry.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby NovU on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:21 pm

Im so tempted to choose Pelicans because no one will and bet pay off will be huge lol. But I sense this is 5 game series once again in favor of Warriors. Durant is the new king, the best player in league as LBJ is aging. No Curry, no prob.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby [Q] on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 pm

So the Pelicans' defense won't hold up against the Warriors? Too much firepower I guess
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:58 pm

I just don't think AD is the best player of the series anymore. Neither he has more help than the real best player(KD) in the series.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:46 am

I think the key for NO is to stifle Klay/Curry, that's the most intriguing matchup to me. I think once again, we are looking at the backcourts playing a pivotal role in a series. KD will most likely get his, I agree with NovU's confidence in him. I also think AD gets his, but it really comes down to what happens in the backcourt in my opinion.

Can Jrue/Rondo keep up that defensive intensity against the high powered, high scoring offense of GS? Can they hold Klay under 20 points, or make him shoot poor from the field? I do think the Pelicans have a shot in this series. But, it looks like Curry will be back. What worked on Lillard will not necessarily work on Curry, in fact im sure it wont. One reason, Green is much better in the pick n roll/pick n pop, nobody on Portland has pick setters/screen setters like Green. Also, Durant is underrated in that regard as well. Curry will break free far more often than Lillard, so it's a question whether the help will come fast enough for NO.

They need Rondo to not only do what he did in the first round, but also put some points on the board for NO. Underrated is how well Rondo has been finishing at the hoop, he needs to do that for NO in this series.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:49 am

Can they stick AD on Durant?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:54 am

[Q] wrote:Can they stick AD on Durant?

I wonder... I think for stints, but not the whole game. I bet we see Igoudala on AD during spurts, even despite the size difference. I feel like GS will throw a few different looks at him with Green/Igoudala/Durant/Looney.

I worry about AD's ability to laterally stay with Durant when he is going downhill.

Looks like it was a mixture of Looney, Durant and Draymond Green guarding him most of the game on 4-7-18. With Green obviously being the primary. From what I can tell, looks like AD is staying mostly on Green. But obviously, this is the regular seasons, and the Warriors were without Curry.

I do like Looney's length though, hes pretty athletic.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Is Solomon Hill back? If so, that's probably who will guard Durant. I think he's supposed to be a good defender? He's no Keith Bogans but...
Lamrock

Postby NovU on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Omer Asia was a nice defensive big but team was better when AD was occupying paint. You are taking away better things for worse things by giving him a defensive role against KD otherwise for special occasions. Besides he is too important on offense, cant have him tiring himself out following KD around the perimeter.

Scary thing about Golden Street is that they are play small ball with big boys. On the other hand, pelicans are pretty much one man team that feeds off AD's greatness. Without AD going into beast LBJ mode, pelicans stand very very little chance.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby lukaskupasz on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Next round GS beats the Pelicans 4-2. If Curry sits at least 2 in that series it’s going 6 maybe 7. If he’s cleared for Game 1 it’s a wrap in 5!!
lukaskupasz

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue May 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Warriors in 4. Steph is ready for a return.
I Hate Mondays

Postby air gordon on Wed May 02, 2018 4:25 am

bulls fans bandwagoning on the pels sealed their doom
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat May 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Pelicans not going quietly into the night.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball