Will the Timberwolves make the playoffs?

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What shit will happen?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Wolves will still make the playoffs
20%
LA Clippers over Wolves for the PO
No votes
Utha Jazz over Wolves for the PO
80%
Something else will happen(i.e. all teams will make or fail)
No votes

Total votes : 5

Will the Timberwolves make the playoffs?

Postby NovU on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:19 pm

Here's the story:

1) Since Butler's injury, won 2 games versus CHI/SAC and lost 2 games versus POR/UTA
2) Butler will miss 3-5 weeks from now (also likely ease slowly back into the regular role)
3) Currently 4th seed
4) Only leads 9th seed Clippers by 2.5 games while leading the Jazz by 3.5 games

Comment what you voted.

#iCalledItThread
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Re: Will the Timberwolves make the playoffs?

Postby [Q] on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Extremely small sample size (2 losses both against playoff caliber teams)

Jazz are streaking but none of the other team's below are really standing out so they could tread water and a team like Denver could fall out. Maybe they get desperate and sign Rose. Tough schedule ahead for them though

It's crazy how close the playoff race is this year. Only 2 or 3 games separating 3rd and 8th in both conferences. Who says the playoffs need reform? Who's to say the crappy clippers team deserves to make it in over Miami to get destroyed by Houston/GState
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:57 am

It's not looking good. While Jeff Teague is showing some signs of life, Andrew Wiggins remains the league's most frustrating player, and Thibs' insistence on playing his starters too many minutes is likely going to end up costing him his career. Jimmy Buckets may come back (as a Blazers fan I'd suggest against it) but I'm not sure he can save them.

What they do have going for them is the implosion of the Spurs, who I think are even more likely to miss out. With Kawhi unlikely to play (and certainly not at a high level), everybody else on the team banged up, and a brutal schedule to play, I think their playoff streak comes to an end.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 am

They've got some tough games coming up. Even if they were healthy, it's likely the slide would continue for a couple more games, making their position even more precarious. I could see them spiralling out of the top eight, but the Spurs are in more of a free-fall right now. I wouldn't rule them out just yet; being a few games ahead of the Jazz and Clippers, they just need to keep pace with them to squeak on in. If the Clippers and/or Jazz get on another hot streak though, they're definitely in trouble with Butler out at least another month.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:59 pm

Out of all Minny players, why did it have to be a Jimmy Butler? I don't think they're making it without Jimmy at this point. Competing teams are not that bad, and should be better than Wolves with no Butler.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:03 am

Wiggins, the ultimate in one dimensional play. His inconsistency and inability to produce in areas other than scoring hurts them a lot.

The problem with the Wolves is also depth, they just don't have it. Depending as much as they do on a 38 year old Crawford, Gorgui Dieng and Tyus Jones..... it's just not enough. Maybe this is the way Thibs likes it, we all know he loves to run his starters into the ground.

I think they might sneak into the playoffs, and will be a tough out if Butler returns at 80-100% strength. Yes, I think they would be tough for the Warriors to rollover if they were fully intact. I think they could steal a game or two against them.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 am

Was the heavy minutes a factor in the injury? There was much talk of Butler resting during the all Star game with him being hung over but he has played a lot of minutes as well. Or maybe they have hard practices that add wear and fatigue to the game time?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:52 am

[Q] wrote:Was the heavy minutes a factor in the injury? There was much talk of Butler resting during the all Star game with him being hung over but he has played a lot of minutes as well. Or maybe they have hard practices that add wear and fatigue to the game time?

I wish I knew, he is playing 37.1 MPG this year. He averages 32.9 for his career. I feel like 37 MPG isn't enough to break down a young body, but I guess its possible. But I guess it could be that along with tough practices.

For a star player in his prime, I consider 37.1 MPG normal and acceptable. But, some of that is because I have the old school mentality of the NBA. Jordan played that many minutes late in his 30s, Chris Webber did in 05-06, etc.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 am

It's been a common knock on Thibs, that he runs his players into the ground. At the same time, there are players from years gone by who have played heavy minutes, barely missed any games, and had lengthy careers without a slew of serious injuries. Some players are iron men, and sheer bad luck does come into play. I think to some extent at least, Thibs is being made into a scapegoat for misfortune beyond his or anyone's control.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Thibs seems to stick to principle very well. He puts best player and best rotation on the court as much as possible. This also resulted in overachieving season with the MVP Rose Bulls imho. Perhaps that was what was happening with the Wolves as well, at least little bit? Replace 3-5 mpg of Butler and other key player(s), and team WS should drop quite a bit.

That said, I don't think it was a factor for his injury. Just a bad luck.

EDIT: The Nuggets are playing shit now slips to 9th place in West.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackie Kong on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:06 am

Lebron has a season average of 38.8 mpg for over 75 games per season for the last 14 and a half years and a playoffs average of 42.1 mpg in 217 games. That is insane!

So, some people call out Lebron's lacking defense during season. Maybe, knowing when to play hard is exactly one of the reasons why Lebron is who he is. And yes, maybe he is Iron Man. :mrgreen:
Jackie Kong

Postby NovU on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:03 am

LBJ has been insanely durable throughout his career. I hear since 2014, he even changed diet as he was experiencing back pain and stuff. But aging should catch up really soon. I think it already started, his advanced stats have been dipping year by year. But he's perhaps saving for the playoffs more and more now that he's feeling his age.

That said, Derrick Rose joins Thibs and Butler in Minny. Reunion. (Y)
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:21 am

This move makes a lot more sense now that they lost Butler for the foreseeable future
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:09 am

[Q] wrote:This move makes a lot more sense now that they lost Butler for the foreseeable future

I think it's a solid move. Rose can still play, he's one season separated from averaging 17 ppg. Tyus Jones is very underwhelming, and he is on the floor more than he should be. I think Rose gives that second unit another scoring threat which is much needed.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 am

Worth a shot, and good to see him getting another chance. Not surprised that it was Thibs who granted him the opportunity.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Looking at the current picture, it seems Jazz are just gonna be fine as to prove most of our guesses right.

Wolves barely clinging onto 8th seed over the Nuggets by 1.5 games while Clippers are falling quick despite people thinking Blake Griffin's trade actually helped both sides. Toby Harris just isn't nice as Blake.

Race is tight. (Y)
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Indeed. It'll only take a couple of short winning and losing streaks to shuffle the seeding right now.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jackie Kong on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:55 am

Love how close every team is. Got to love that TWolves and Nuggets will face each other in 2 of the last 4 games of the season.
Jackie Kong

Postby I Hate Mondays on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:20 am

D. ROSE IS BACK, TIMBERWOLVES STRAIGHT TO THE 5TH SEED
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:23 am

He was looking pretty healthy and spry on that dunk against the Rockets. Good to see, after all the setbacks over the years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Lamrock on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:36 am

It would be in their best interest to win their game against the 9th place Clippers tonight.
Lamrock

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 am

NovU wrote:Clippers are falling quick despite people thinking Blake Griffin's trade actually helped both sides.

Blame it on Austin Rivers being healthy again.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby NovU on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:42 pm

You could be right. Clippers lost against the Wolves tonight in a must win game. Austin Rivers played team high in minutes with 34 minutes(next most was DeAndre with 18 minutes). And Rivers ended up with the team worst -20 +/-.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby [Q] on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:52 pm

But he's the best player on the team, according to Doc! How could you NOT play him all those minutes??
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:14 pm

And there is definitely no favouritism involved there. Just ask Doc's other kids!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball