There Hasn't Been A Coaching Change Since June 2016

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

There Hasn't Been A Coaching Change Since June 2016

Postby benji on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 am

This has to be some kind of post-merger record.

The last coaches fired were in May 2016 and Scott Skiles also resigned that month.

The last coaches hired were June 1st and 2nd, 2016 in Mike D'Antoni and Jeff Hornacek.

We went the entire season without a coaching change for the first time in as long back as I wanted to check which was at least to 1995.

Even wilder, from looking at the teams, it's not implausible we go another season before one happens. The only two I identified potentially are Alvin Gentry if the whole Boogie thing disappoints and perhaps Steve Clifford as he's been there for four years, the longest tenured head coach in franchise history. (Technically he will join Allen Bristow this season if we do that thing where we pretend the first Hornets history is also their history but not the Pelicans history until they move.)

A number of coaches I considered are on teams not expected to win games like Atlanta, Chicago, Indiana, Phoenix, etc. and that puts them in a situation where like Jeff Hornacek who will get a chance to coach without Phil demanding the triangle I figure the teams will just punt until the end of the season especially since most of them are recent hires anyway. (And the Knicks are still paying Derek Fisher for his and Phil's scam.)

Terry Stotts and Dwayne Casey have a good shot at disappointing with their teams but they also just signed extensions.

SVG is still his own boss other than the owner. Doc is no longer so, but like Rick Carlisle I imagine if they intend on retiring especially if the teams disappoint they might ride out the year instead. Especially in Carlisle's case with Dirk being a factor.

Which still leaves whatever it is the Kings do that's called management happening somehow to Joerger.

After the season though I could see a serious massacre like we had a couple years ago where it seemed like half the coaches were dumped. With many similar situations of teams picking up others discarded coaches.

Feel free to place your own bets, especially anyone obvious I missed.
benji

Re: There Hasn't Been A Coaching Change Since June 2016

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:01 am

That's pretty surprising considering how many really bad teams there are. I guess they've moved away from having a quick trigger and blaming the coach for their problems.

I got money on the Kings. Their shitty owner will find a way or reason to fire his coach. He will find a way to mettle
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:35 am

no need to fire your coach when you are telling him to lose games on purpose
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Wow, that's certainly unusual! It probably is a record, or at least one of the longest stretches without a coaching change.

Sauru's got a point about teams cutting coaches some slack because they're engaging in their own version of The Process, but I'm guessing that with some of the quick coaching changes in recent years, teams have ended up paying out too much money to canned coaches. Weren't the Lakers paying for three head coaches at one point, because of the lengthy deals they'd signed them to and how early on they fired a couple of them? Even with all the revenue that NBA teams generate, I'd assume they'd be trying not to throw too much money away, especially with ballooning player salaries eating into their profits.

I'd like to think that teams are also showing a bit more patience and coaches are getting a fairer shake when their teams fall on hard times, but I would suggest that it's due to financial reasons as much as anything else.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 pm

Meanwhile Popovich and Spoelstra are laughing when they see "coaching change".
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Jackal on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:50 am

Andrew wrote:I'd like to think that teams are also showing a bit more patience and coaches are getting a fairer shake when their teams fall on hard times, but I would suggest that it's due to financial reasons as much as anything else.

And everyone is pretty much certain it's the Warriors out of the West for the time being and probably the Cavs or Celtics out of the East.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 am

That too. A lot of teams seem content to wait it out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:59 am

The streak, is over. Thanks to Eric Bledsoe being not happy and the Suns.

Also, it's a record in itself

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7 ... ast_games/
Earl Watson sets NBA record for least games coached in a season before getting fired with 3.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 am

The streak was going to end at some point, and since the Suns were likely to be in for a rough season, it's probably fair to say that Watson was going to be a candidate to break the drought. Three games in, though? Wow.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:24 pm

So the period up to the Watson firing actually was the all-time record:
the 536 days from Dave Joerger being fired as coach of the Memphis Grizzlies to the day the Phoenix Suns fired Earl Watson as head coach is the longest period in NBA history without any coaching changes occurring

Prior to this season, no NBA or BAA season had ever begun with every coach still in their position from the year prior.

So thanks to the Suns for letting Watson coach those three games just for this historic and unlikely to ever repeat occurrence. :applaud:
benji

Return to NBA & Basketball