Done in the Dark - Lamar Odom

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Done in the Dark - Lamar Odom

Postby Jackal on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:45 am

At that point in my life, I was doing coke every day. Pretty much every second of free time that I had, I was doing coke. I couldn’t control it.

I didn’t want to control it.

It will make you do things you never thought you’d do. It will turn you into a different person. It will put you in situations where you say to yourself, “How the fuck did I get here?”

I didn’t try it until I was 24 years old, when I was on summer vacation in Miami. And … I wish I could tell you there was a reason for it. There wasn’t. It was just an asinine decision I made. If I knew that it was going to affect my life the way it did, I would’ve never even thought about it. Never. But I did it. It turned out to be a life-altering decision.

I walked into the hospital room … and the hurt on his mother’s face, I’ll never forget that. How she couldn’t believe it.

Six months old. Gone.

My dick and my habit took me down all the roads that you don’t ever wanna go down. A lot of great men are fools to that. Fools to that. There are probably a lot of young dudes out there who hear my story and think that it could never happen to them. That they’re untouchable.

Man … Nobody is untouchable. Nobody in this life is immune to pain.

Source.

By far one of the best pieces I've read on TPT. I'm really, really glad Lamar isn't dead and I'm even more happy he's trying to stay clean and has been working on and off with the Lakers organisation. There are no championships without the Candy Man, one of my all time favorite Lakers who really found his role once Gasol arrived.

Dude has been through shit people can't even begin to imagine. I know he fucked up...but I'm still happy for him.
Jackal

Re: Done in the Dark - Lamar Odom

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:20 am

Definitely worth a read. I think it becomes all too easy to look down on people with addictions, particularly when they're famous, but it's not like it's something anyone aspires to. The guy went through some really tough times, and unfortunately discovered a really unhealthy coping mechanism. Luckily for Odom, his rock bottom wasn't an early grave. Hopefully, his story can help others, and he can find peace and happiness, and stay clean moving forward.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Man, not only one of my favorite Lakers but players of all time. Glad to see him turn it around. A really good read for any fan.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:20 pm

I watched the interview he did, glad he is getting help he needs and to be fair I don't blame him for the path he took he has delt with so much, losing his mother at an early age, losing a 10 month old baby and being married to a Kardashian will all mess with your head
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Return to NBA & Basketball