NBA Reducing Number of Timeouts, Moving Trade Deadline

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

NBA Reducing Number of Timeouts, Moving Trade Deadline

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:40 am

NBA board of governors OKs rule decreasing timeouts

"So we think these new changes will have a significant impact, especially at the end of the game," Silver said. "Overall we go from 18 to 14 timeouts but we have reduced the number of timeouts by four in the last two minutes of the game. Now in the last three minutes of games, each team will have two timeouts. That is significantly down. We will see how that works." Each team will get seven timeouts per game with no restrictions per half. Previously a "full" timeout was 90 seconds" and a "20-second" timeout was 60 seconds. Now, both will be replaced with 75-second team timeouts.

In overtime, teams previously had three timeouts but that's been reduced to two. The board also approved moving the trade deadline from the Thursday after the NBA All-Star Game to the Thursday 10 days before the game.

Silver said the NBA moved its trade deadline up to help any players that are traded at the deadline. When the deadline came after the All-Star break in the past, players who were traded did not have much time to acclimate themselves and move, especially if the trade sent a player cross country.

Good moves I reckon.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NBA Reducing Number of Timeouts, Moving Trade Deadline

Postby Axel The Great on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:26 am

The timeout reduction is beneficial for the fans. Casual fans tend to complain that it takes an hour for the final five minutes of a basketball game to transpire. Less commercial breaks means less buzz kills that come as a result of game stoppage.
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby [Q] on Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:54 am

I honestly didn't mind the timeouts at the end of the game as it is strategy playing the foul game and forcing the other team to shoot free throws.

My problem was with the frequent TV timeouts that interrupted the game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 am

Fair point, though in some cases it did get really tedious, especially in games where a comeback was highly unlikely. In those situations, it seemed more like an effort to pad each other's numbers, or more cynically, cover the spread. When it takes over ten minutes to play out the final minute of the game, it's getting a little ridiculous. Even as a hardcore basketball fan who appreciates the strategy behind the approach, I'm inclined to agree with casual fans on that one.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:18 am

I like it. Less timeout makes game flow little smoother imo. Set plays are nice but I don't mind seeing players decision making skills in moment of heat.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby benji on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Pretty sure I told my owner to vote against the Trade Deadline change.
benji

Postby Sauru on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:11 am

benji wrote:Pretty sure I told my owner to vote against the Trade Deadline change.

found lebron
Sauru

Return to NBA & Basketball