Smaller FA (Re-)Signings

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Smaller FA (Re-)Signings

Postby Jackal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:35 am

Free agent Jodie Meeks has agreed to a two-year, $7 million deal with the Washington Wizards, league sources tell The Vertical.

Sources close to Andre Iguodala reporting agreed to terms to return to the bay...

Free agent P.J. Tucker has reached agreement on a deal with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell The Vertical.
Last edited by Jackal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackal

Re: Smaller FA Signings

Postby Its_asdf on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:18 am

Going to miss P.J. on the Raptors. Guy played with a lot of heart and had some pretty big impact games down the stretch of the regular season. I can't recall the exact record off the top of my head, but the Raptors had a fantastic record with Lowry out for the latter part of the season with major contributions from Tucker at the 4.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Re: Smaller FA (Re-)Signings

Postby Jackal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:09 am

Nene has agreed to new deal with Houston, league sources tell ESPN
Nene agrees to a 3-year, $11M deal, per source.

Free agent Kyle Korver has agreed to a three-year, $22M deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources tell The Vertical.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:32 am

Not surprised that Iguodala is staying. He's got it pretty good with the Warriors.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Axel The Great on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:34 am

I do like the Tucker acquisition for the Rockets. Replaces Beverley as an energizer off the bench. (Y)
Axel The Great
Visible Confusion

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:06 am

Free agent Mike Scott, a former University of Virginia standout, has agreed to a one-year, veteran minimum deal with the Washington Wizards.

Source.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Free agent forward Patrick Patterson has agreed to a three-year, $16.4M deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder, league sources tell ESPN.

Free agent forward Omri Casspi has agreed to a one-year deal with Golden State, league sources tell ESPN.

RFA Otto Porter has reached agreement on a four-year, $106M max deal with Brooklyn Nets, league sources tell The Vertical.

Porter will probably be matched by Washington, he's restricted anyhow.

The Patterson signing is nice for OKC, they got him for a bargain. Not a bad replacement for Gibson at all.
Jackal

Postby Its_asdf on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:10 am

I am not sure why the Raptors didn't make an offer to Patterson once it was clear that Tucker was no longer available. I'm assuming Masai is still trying to swing a trade involving Valanciunas and Joseph to lighten the payroll a bit and didn't want to take on any more cap space.

Patterson was a great addition to the Raptors and really helped turn the team around. His impact kind of waned as time went on but he will always be one of my favourite players on the team. Always played hard and never once complained about any role that was given to him. The Thunder will love what he brings.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby NovU on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:17 am

Though Patterson is a high efficient and ok defensive guy, he's been a very low productive player for the Raptors. He's practically a cheap replaceable guy.

One thing I don't like about the Raptors is that their hope to improve now depends on declined Ibaka and whatever they can land via trade(possibly Valanciunas as a chip).
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Its_asdf on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:03 am

I wouldn't say that is necessarily the case.

I think the Raptors don't have a budding superstar prospect (insert Bruno joke here) waiting in the wings, but they do have a lot of good young pieces that could complement the core pretty well if they develop further.

Powell is pretty good and was a bit inconsistent after the Ross trade, but the talent is definitely there to be an impact player in this league. He can top out as a valuable 3 and D starter or 6th man off the bench.

Delon Wright has shown a lot of defensive versatility and it is fairly reasonable to assume that he is very capable of becoming at least a solid back-up point guard (hence why Joseph is looking a bit more expendable these days).

Anuoby is another young player that was projected to go higher in the draft but fell due to his ACL injury. I can't really comment on him since I haven't watched too much college ball.

Also Poetl looked also pretty good in the limited minutes that he got. Could be a solid energy rim running big who can rebound and pass.

Not exactly a roster full of young up and comers, but I also wouldn't say that the Raptors' only hope for improvement is via trade. There are some good young pieces here that have improved from year to year.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby NovU on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:24 am

Yeah, but the goal for the Raptors is to compete NOW and get to the next level to compete against Cavs and Celts. It's just hard to argue any of that improves the team considering what will be lost and has been lost(another year removed from aging core's prime).

Poetl could become valuable but is gonna be only 22. It's just gonna be really tough for him to successfully replace Valanciunas(when he's gone) at such young stage of his career.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackal on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:13 am

Free agent guard Nick Young has agreed to a one-year, $5.2M deal with the Golden State Warriors, agent Mark Bartelstein tells ESPN.

Rich get richer. :|

Godspeed Nick, didn't mind you as a player, you crazy motherfucker.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 am

Lol two more shooters for the warriors. Mike dantoni's wet dream.

Although his team is pretty good too
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Stress Fracture on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 am

[Q] wrote:Lol two more shooters for the warriors. Mike dantoni's wet dream.

Although his team is pretty good too

Not enough bench players now, dunno why no moves are being made by the Rockets right now.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Jackal on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:47 am

Stress Fracture wrote:Not enough bench players now, dunno why no moves are being made by the Rockets right now.

Monta Ellis just hit the market for what it's worth.

Also:

Free agent guard Dion Waiters is finalizing a deal with the Miami Heat, league sources tell ESPN.

Good for him, he had quite a rejuvenation in Miami thanks to their training and environment they've created down there.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:06 am

Jackal wrote:
Free agent guard Nick Young has agreed to a one-year, $5.2M deal with the Golden State Warriors, agent Mark Bartelstein tells ESPN.

Rich get richer. :|

Godspeed Nick, didn't mind you as a player, you crazy motherfucker.

the caspi signing is flying under the radar but that signing is better.
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:08 am

nick young just won the 2018 nba finals. congratulations
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:42 am

air gordon wrote:the caspi signing is flying under the radar but that signing is better.

Definitely a good signing, I can agree with it being "better" since he's more versatile than Nick.

None the less; rich are still getting richer:

Ben Cohen wrote:There were three players in the NBA last year who shot >43% on 4.5+ catch-and-shoot threes: 1. Stephen Curry, 2. Klay Thompson, 3. Swaggy P.

Aslo Nick Young & McGee on the same team. Shaqtin All-Stars!
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am

How many games does Nick Young go without getting a single assist to Durant, Curry, or Thompson?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:15 am

Now that major free agents are off the board, I am interested which stupid team will take their chances on Rudy Gay. Possibly Riley and Spo, lol.

JaMychal Green seems to be a nice player but I have a feeling teams will overpay him.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:26 am

NovU wrote:I am interested which stupid team will take their chances on Rudy Gay.

The Spurs, it turns out.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Nice deal for the Spurs as he left money on the table.

Was thinking either Heat or Thunder but Spurs is surprising. I guess Gay might opt out for a big contract if things go right for him. I doubt it.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Money aside, are the Spurs stupid for signing him?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:54 pm

But money is important cuz every player has value.

I don't think this is a winning move neither even for the basketball reasons. His previous teams didn't improve upon his arrival, did neither regress upon his departure. That tells you a lot about his actual value as a bball player. But considering the money it cost the Spurs to get him, I don't think he'll play a big of role to hurt them enough. Beside it's hard to buy a plus player at that price range.

More the Spurs plays him, more the empty stats for him and less the real stats for the team.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:30 am

If it wasn't the Spurs and their Midas touch this would be a stupid move.

curious he negotiated to get the player option. He pretty much is making the same amount as he left on the table (though salary inflation played a part)
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball