Smaller FA (Re-)Signings

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Smaller FA (Re-)Signings

Postby Jackal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:35 am

Free agent Jodie Meeks has agreed to a two-year, $7 million deal with the Washington Wizards, league sources tell The Vertical.

Sources close to Andre Iguodala reporting agreed to terms to return to the bay...

Free agent P.J. Tucker has reached agreement on a deal with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell The Vertical.
Last edited by Jackal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackal

Re: Smaller FA Signings

Postby Its_asdf on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:18 am

Going to miss P.J. on the Raptors. Guy played with a lot of heart and had some pretty big impact games down the stretch of the regular season. I can't recall the exact record off the top of my head, but the Raptors had a fantastic record with Lowry out for the latter part of the season with major contributions from Tucker at the 4.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Re: Smaller FA (Re-)Signings

Postby Jackal on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:09 am

Nene has agreed to new deal with Houston, league sources tell ESPN
Nene agrees to a 3-year, $11M deal, per source.

Free agent Kyle Korver has agreed to a three-year, $22M deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers, league sources tell The Vertical.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:32 am

Not surprised that Iguodala is staying. He's got it pretty good with the Warriors.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby Axel. on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:34 am

I do like the Tucker acquisition for the Rockets. Replaces Beverley as an energizer off the bench. (Y)
Axel.
Jermaine Avocado Toast

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:06 am

Free agent Mike Scott, a former University of Virginia standout, has agreed to a one-year, veteran minimum deal with the Washington Wizards.

Source.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Free agent forward Patrick Patterson has agreed to a three-year, $16.4M deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder, league sources tell ESPN.

Free agent forward Omri Casspi has agreed to a one-year deal with Golden State, league sources tell ESPN.

RFA Otto Porter has reached agreement on a four-year, $106M max deal with Brooklyn Nets, league sources tell The Vertical.

Porter will probably be matched by Washington, he's restricted anyhow.

The Patterson signing is nice for OKC, they got him for a bargain. Not a bad replacement for Gibson at all.
Jackal

Postby Its_asdf on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:10 am

I am not sure why the Raptors didn't make an offer to Patterson once it was clear that Tucker was no longer available. I'm assuming Masai is still trying to swing a trade involving Valanciunas and Joseph to lighten the payroll a bit and didn't want to take on any more cap space.

Patterson was a great addition to the Raptors and really helped turn the team around. His impact kind of waned as time went on but he will always be one of my favourite players on the team. Always played hard and never once complained about any role that was given to him. The Thunder will love what he brings.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby NovU on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:17 am

Though Patterson is a high efficient and ok defensive guy, he's been a very low productive player for the Raptors. He's practically a cheap replaceable guy.

One thing I don't like about the Raptors is that their hope to improve now depends on declined Ibaka and whatever they can land via trade(possibly Valanciunas as a chip).
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Its_asdf on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:03 am

I wouldn't say that is necessarily the case.

I think the Raptors don't have a budding superstar prospect (insert Bruno joke here) waiting in the wings, but they do have a lot of good young pieces that could complement the core pretty well if they develop further.

Powell is pretty good and was a bit inconsistent after the Ross trade, but the talent is definitely there to be an impact player in this league. He can top out as a valuable 3 and D starter or 6th man off the bench.

Delon Wright has shown a lot of defensive versatility and it is fairly reasonable to assume that he is very capable of becoming at least a solid back-up point guard (hence why Joseph is looking a bit more expendable these days).

Anuoby is another young player that was projected to go higher in the draft but fell due to his ACL injury. I can't really comment on him since I haven't watched too much college ball.

Also Poetl looked also pretty good in the limited minutes that he got. Could be a solid energy rim running big who can rebound and pass.

Not exactly a roster full of young up and comers, but I also wouldn't say that the Raptors' only hope for improvement is via trade. There are some good young pieces here that have improved from year to year.
Its_asdf
I'm kind of a big deal.

Postby NovU on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:24 am

Yeah, but the goal for the Raptors is to compete NOW and get to the next level to compete against Cavs and Celts. It's just hard to argue any of that improves the team considering what will be lost and has been lost(another year removed from aging core's prime).

Poetl could become valuable but is gonna be only 22. It's just gonna be really tough for him to successfully replace Valanciunas(when he's gone) at such young stage of his career.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Jackal on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:13 am

Free agent guard Nick Young has agreed to a one-year, $5.2M deal with the Golden State Warriors, agent Mark Bartelstein tells ESPN.

Rich get richer. :|

Godspeed Nick, didn't mind you as a player, you crazy motherfucker.
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 am

Lol two more shooters for the warriors. Mike dantoni's wet dream.

Although his team is pretty good too
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Stress Fracture on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 am

[Q] wrote:Lol two more shooters for the warriors. Mike dantoni's wet dream.

Although his team is pretty good too

Not enough bench players now, dunno why no moves are being made by the Rockets right now.
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture
In James I Trust

Postby Jackal on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:47 am

Stress Fracture wrote:Not enough bench players now, dunno why no moves are being made by the Rockets right now.

Monta Ellis just hit the market for what it's worth.

Also:

Free agent guard Dion Waiters is finalizing a deal with the Miami Heat, league sources tell ESPN.

Good for him, he had quite a rejuvenation in Miami thanks to their training and environment they've created down there.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:06 am

Jackal wrote:
Free agent guard Nick Young has agreed to a one-year, $5.2M deal with the Golden State Warriors, agent Mark Bartelstein tells ESPN.

Rich get richer. :|

Godspeed Nick, didn't mind you as a player, you crazy motherfucker.

the caspi signing is flying under the radar but that signing is better.
Fire GarPax
air gordon

Postby Sauru on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:08 am

nick young just won the 2018 nba finals. congratulations
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:42 am

air gordon wrote:the caspi signing is flying under the radar but that signing is better.

Definitely a good signing, I can agree with it being "better" since he's more versatile than Nick.

None the less; rich are still getting richer:

Ben Cohen wrote:There were three players in the NBA last year who shot >43% on 4.5+ catch-and-shoot threes: 1. Stephen Curry, 2. Klay Thompson, 3. Swaggy P.

Aslo Nick Young & McGee on the same team. Shaqtin All-Stars!
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am

How many games does Nick Young go without getting a single assist to Durant, Curry, or Thompson?
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:15 am

Now that major free agents are off the board, I am interested which stupid team will take their chances on Rudy Gay. Possibly Riley and Spo, lol.

JaMychal Green seems to be a nice player but I have a feeling teams will overpay him.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:26 am

NovU wrote:I am interested which stupid team will take their chances on Rudy Gay.

The Spurs, it turns out.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Nice deal for the Spurs as he left money on the table.

Was thinking either Heat or Thunder but Spurs is surprising. I guess Gay might opt out for a big contract if things go right for him. I doubt it.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Money aside, are the Spurs stupid for signing him?

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:54 pm

But money is important cuz every player has value.

I don't think this is a winning move neither even for the basketball reasons. His previous teams didn't improve upon his arrival, did neither regress upon his departure. That tells you a lot about his actual value as a bball player. But considering the money it cost the Spurs to get him, I don't think he'll play a big of role to hurt them enough. Beside it's hard to buy a plus player at that price range.

More the Spurs plays him, more the empty stats for him and less the real stats for the team.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:30 am

If it wasn't the Spurs and their Midas touch this would be a stupid move.

curious he negotiated to get the player option. He pretty much is making the same amount as he left on the table (though salary inflation played a part)
Fire GarPax
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:39 am

air gordon wrote:curious he negotiated to get the player option. He pretty much is making the same amount as he left on the table (though salary inflation played a part)

He's betting on himself. Pretty much an audition for other teams while being in the spotlight for an elite team. He's coming off a serious injury and this is his chance to show he's still capable and can play well enough on a playoff team.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:46 am

Yes I should have been more clear. Surprised SA gave him the player option instead of the team option...giving them more control whether he stinks or does well.
Fire GarPax
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:31 am

Detroit is renouncing Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, league source tells ESPN.

With the addition of Avery Bradley I guess he became expendable. Thoughts on his landing spot? Nets seem most likely given their cap space and need for a wing. That's assuming Porter's offer sheet is matched by Washington. Knicks have their money tied up in Hardaway obviously. Don't think that Hawks will match that one.

Free agent Tyreke Evans has agreed to a one-year, $3.3M deal with the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources tell ESPN.

Kings & Griz switching players. Mclemore & Evans reunite in Memphis. Z-Bo & VC to the Kings. Makes sense with Dave Joerger knowing those guys from his days in Memphis.

Evans really has been a let down considering how stellar his rookie campaign was.
Jackal

Postby Jackal on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:21 am

AP Source: Cavs agree to terms with free agent Jeff Green

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/ap-s ... een-070717

Center Zaza Pachulia has reportedly agreed to a $3.5 million, one-year contract to stay with the NBA champion Golden State Warriors.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/07/z ... e-warriors

Fuck Zaza and his dirty ass plays. Hope Steven Adams nut punches him.

Thunder's Raymond Felton: Agrees to one-year contract with OKC

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basket ... -with-okc/
Jackal

Postby Brave Sir Rubin on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:54 am

Sauru wrote:nick young just won the 2018 nba finals. congratulations

Lol, yup.

Seriously though, Nick Young on the Warriors is kinda scary. He shot %40 from the 3 last year... and that's with much higher usage and lots of questionable looks. On the Warriors, he'll literary just have to post up on the 3 point line and take endless open looks. He could easily shoot %45+ in such a system.
Brave Sir Rubin
Showerfun

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:28 am

lol at the stupid Gay hate.
It's not like the Spurs are going to use him as a 1st or 2nd option and ballhog his way to padding stats.
He'll be likely used as 3nD player like Green, 6th man at best.
If he's on the floor with Parker, Kawhi, Aldridge, and Gasol/Ginobili at the same time he's probably the last option.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
NLSC's Jefferson Davis/The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:54 am

He'd be a great bum slayer off the bench but id like to see him as a stretch 4 with the starters
Fire GarPax
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:53 am

Nick Collison is re-signing with Oklahoma City on a 1-year deal to end 15-year career with Thunder franchise, sources tell The Vertical.

Spurs free agent Jonathon Simmons has agreed to a three-year deal with the Orlando Magic, league sources tell The Vertical.

Can anyone shed some light on the Spurs renouncing Simmons? Can't just be the Rudy Gay signing, right?
Jackal

Postby [Q] on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:15 am

I bet the Spurs did it because they knew he was gone

Collison still plays ? Didn't know He was still in the league
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Brave Sir Rubin on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:03 am

Great job by the Magic. Simmons is a steal.
Brave Sir Rubin
Showerfun

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Uncharacteristic decisions by the Spurs, but their track record is pretty good to say the least, so I suppose they know what they're doing. Great pickup for the Magic, though.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby benji on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Rondo signs with Pelicans for one year.

The Spurs renounced Simmons' rights so they could resign him to a higher deal than RFA restricted him to, but Orlando offered more so he took it.

Stress Fracture wrote:Not enough bench players now, dunno why no moves are being made by the Rockets right now.

You don't have any cap space. You've used your exceptions. It's just minimums left.
benji

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:19 am

So Jonathon Simmons pulled a Carlos Boozer.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
NLSC's Jefferson Davis/The Questioneer

Postby big-shot-ROB on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:32 pm

The Spurs offered more money than the Magic, that's why they renounced him first, but Simmons wanted to be a starter, so he signed for less with Orlando. Kind of a dick move to a team that could've matched less money, but renounced bird rights to offer you more.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby [Q] on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:24 am

shadowgrin wrote:So Jonathon Simmons pulled a Carlos Boozer.

He didn't exactly swindle a blind man, but close enough.

Glad Jamal Crawford didn't take the "hard road" and sign with CLE or GS. He specifically said that it wouldn't be much fun as it's like watching a movie where you already know the ending
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:40 am

benji wrote:Rondo signs with Pelicans for one year.

That dude is going to average an insane amount of assists. I really hope Cousins and Davis don't stick around the Pelicans long term though. No offense, but that is not an organization that's going to be in a position to win any time soon and those guys deserve a better organisation around them. Especially Davis. If he did end up in Boston, that would be scary shit.

The Spurs renounced Simmons' rights so they could resign him to a higher deal than RFA restricted him to, but Orlando offered more so he took it.

Why though? If Orlando offered more money, the Spurs could've just matched that, right? Isn't that the point of RFA? Basically match a contract provided by another team.

The starter thing makes more sense but really, Orlando? What the heck are those guys even doing?
Jackal

Postby benji on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:24 am

There are restrictions on RFA's who are coming off those weird four year non-guaranteed deals.

That said, apparently the Spurs are liars sometimes? They never actually made him into a RFA.
Casey Keirnan‏
@CaseyKeirnan
Source tells me Spurs never made Jonathon Simmons a single offer throughout free agency despite reports to the contrary.

Don Harris‏Verified account @DonHarris4
Replying to @CaseyKeirnan
1.6 QO that they eventually pulled. Nothing substantial.
benji

Postby Andrew on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:33 am

If that's the case, then that's really puzzling. Sure, they've got Kawhi Leonard, but I'd have thought they'd also want to keep Simmons after the promise he showed last season. Certainly helps to be absolutely loaded with talent these days.

Andrew
No context necessary.
Administrator

Postby NovU on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 am

I guess he became expendable with Gay signing. Besides last year was somewhat of disappointment in terms of statistic performance.

I think it was a good decision on his part to depart with the Spurs. I still think he's yet to prove he is a solid rotational player in this league. He's in prime at age of 28 so we will get a real good look at him this coming season imho.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Return to NBA & Basketball