Resting Players

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Has resting players gotten out of control?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 11

Re: Resting Players

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:21 am

With the top two seeds in both conferences being a close race at the moment, it's going to be interesting to see if dropping games due to resting multiple players will end up having an effect on the postseason. Between overall record and tiebreakers, these "meaningless" regular season games may carry more weight than expected in the long run.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:37 am

Baseball will give ticket vouchers to fans for rainouts
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:41 am

Vouchers for rainouts, you say?

phpBB [video]

Actually, from memory that game was only delayed. But probably the closest you'll get to inclement weather ruining an indoor basketball game. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:07 am

I think the roof collapsed from snow when the Pistons were in the Silverdome once.

I remember a few games getting cancelled because of the ice underneath the courts acting up when we were younger, now the arenas are more climate controlled.

Of course, the Celtics and Hawks only played 81 games just a couple years back because the game was cancelled on account of the weather.

Sauru wrote:there is 2 ways of thinking for sure about this and i always was on this side of the fence until i realized that basketball is a league of stars and people pay to see the stars. maybe they should give a partial refund when teams rest all their star players. i mean this of course will never happen because like any business once a company has your money they keep it but it would be a lot better than saying "fuck what the fans think" because you know,the fans are the only reason these guys have the job they do

I would think you would stay on that side of fence what with Larry Bird and Kevin McHale still being crippled because they let themselves get ground into dust physically.

Bird and Steve Kerr have both contemplated suicide while head coaches because of their back problems. And yet we're talking about punishing teams for preventing this kind of thing?

The Spurs have been constant contenders for two decades because they reject this kind of nonsensical short term thinking.

Announcing in advance is just going to get all the babies whining because both teams will sit their players. And teams probably won't be allowed to reverse it and steal games by playing their stars one quarter in all the games their opponents are resting theirs which is the reason to dress them.
benji

Postby Sauru on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:18 pm

i mean i fully get why its done and i do not think they should punish teams. i think they should compensate fans for resting players. why should a fan pay 100% when 100% of the attraction is not there?
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Everything else aside, I guess it's the choice of games to rest players that puzzles me the most, at least from a competitive point of view. I mean, we're talking some big match-ups between top teams, where both teams have ended up resting their players. You'd think that teams would want to play those big games to feel each other out, to compete and test themselves against the squads they're likely to be facing in the postseason. I realise that's veering into "pride over practicality" territory, and nostalgia-fuelled grumbling of "yesteryear's players would want to compete" rhetoric, but there are drawbacks to letting those games slip because your best players are out.

After all, those games can and do have postseason implications. Those wins and losses add up, and form tiebreakers, which in turn determine seeding and home court advantage. Facing off a few times in the regular season isn't just an opportunity to work out gameplans and perhaps even get a psychological edge on an opponent. Picking up those big victories in key match-ups can be quite advantageous come the Playoffs, so you'd think those would be the games not to rest players.

Look, we can either praise old school players for priding themselves in playing every game, or call it an outdated and self-destructive mentality. We can call today's players soft, or suggest that it's a wise strategy that comes from decades of studying the strain that athletes put on their bodies. We can say "tough luck" to the fans who feel ripped off, or we can acknowledge that it's not a good look for a spectator sport, where fan interest ultimately makes players and teams a lot of money. We can discuss ideas like trying to rest players at home where the team plays 41 times a year, and players making it up to fans with additional autograph sessions, as Jeff Van Gundy suggested.

The bottom line is that there are going to be times when players absolutely need to sit, and other times when it would simply be a good idea for them to rest up. I think we can all understand and appreciate that. However, there are obviously optimal times to do that, and I wouldn't think that a big game that has potential postseason ramifications is an ideal choice. You'd think teams would pick more of the games that are winnable even with a depleted roster, against teams who aren't in contention for the Playoffs. That way, they're not gambling away crucial wins and potential tiebreakers, while looking like a D-League team on national television. As it stands, it looks like the Spurs have blown their chance for the top seed in the West, while the Cavs are now in a battle with the Celtics for home court advantage throughout the East. If that proves to be their undoing, will that rest have accomplished its goal?

Beyond fan disappointment, beyond old school mentalities, beyond questions of toughness and wise player management, I have to wonder why teams choose to rest players for what could be really important games down the line. If teams are going to rest players, you'd think they'd choose ones that aren't as potentially crucial. To choose to rest players for those big match-ups seems to be a way of thumbing their nose at the league and it's scheduling, but when they give away home court advantage, its more a case of cutting off their own nose to spite their face.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:39 am

Does someone like LeBron get "more rest" if he sits against the clippers (against Blake Griffin, Deandre Jordan) than the sixers?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:07 am

I shouldn't think so, in the grand scheme of things. It's wear and tear, all the same.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:06 am

Kobe could take a rest against Raptors in 2006...the Lakers were doing above .500 and it was a game out of spotlights. The Raptors were consisted of rookie Villanueva, young Bosh and an aging Jalen Rose.

Kobe didn't rest. He gave a masterpiece, instead.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:09 am

Dennis Rodman blasts players resting

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/dennis-rodman-trashes-lebron-james-for-resting-in-profanity-laced-rant-040517

I don't disagree with Rodman in regards to Lebron, Lebron comes off as a big baby. I don't like him even putting Jordan and Lebron in the same conversation, but I think he does it because he is blasting the people who do put them in the same conversation.

Heres Hakeem talking about Lebron after working with him on his post game:

phpBB [video]

Exactly, Jordan is a far superior player, in my opinion (And Hakeems, clearly), the two cannot be compared. I won't argue with the Dream. The mental toughness (Toughness in general) that Jordan had is far superior to Lebron, Westbrook has that mental toughness, but he's not as fluid as a basketball player as Jordan.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:20 am

They discussed the issue on The Jump, and as expected, they shot down Rodman's remarks, and even Scottie Pippen's more measured and reasonable take (he was the guest that episode). Speaking of The Jump, I've only caught a couple of episodes, but I think I'll be giving it a miss in the future. The level of smugness from Rachel Nicols and some of the ESPN "analysts" that join her (particularly Tom Haberstroh in the aforementioned episode) is just unbearable.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:56 pm

the jump is a horrible show. "i know you played 15 years in the nba but let me tell you why you are wrong and i am right" -rachel nicols
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Sauru wrote:the jump is a horrible show. "i know you played 15 years in the nba but let me tell you why you are wrong and i am right" -rachel nicols

Spot on. Absolutely spot on. "People don't like it when I say it, but it's true!" she says with a smug laugh, punctuating another asinine point. Between the condescending tone and "you're a hater if you disagree" arguments, it feels like NBA coverage is at an all-time low.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:30 am

I don't know which is worse, the words that come out of Rachel Nichols mouth, or the "Neck Moves" she does when she is talking looking at the camera. She looks like a damn bobble head.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:13 am

Ha and I heard positive things about the show. Thought all the smugs and loudmouths went to fox
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:39 am

I'm sure there are people who like it, and times when they make a decent point. Different strokes, a stopped clock is right twice a day, and all that. It definitely didn't appeal to me, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:16 am

Haha you guys are funny. For me something about the espn crew, specifically their NBA podcast teams, that is annoying. They do at times have good segments but it's just not worth subjecting yourself to the entire show for it

With the exception of Lowe and whitehurst, I can't stand them

Speaking of, whitehurst has a good interview on Lowe this week. He was plugging his book but he spoke about the details of lbj leaving Miami/going to the cavs. Him and Wade were both on a plane heading somewhere but Wade had no clue James was working out the contract details with his agent and clev GM. Worth a listen
Jump.
air gordon

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball