LaVar Ball reckons he'd destroy MJ one-on-one

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

LaVar Ball reckons he'd destroy MJ one-on-one

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:05 am

Because, you know, a guy who averaged 2 ppg in college would certainly destroy His Airness.

"Back in my heyday, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one," Ball said Monday, per Josh Peter of USA Today.

The father of UCLA star Lonzo Ball and Chino Hills High School players LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball believes he would have used his size at 6'6", 270 pounds to his advantage.

"I would just back (Jordan) in and lift him off the ground and call a foul every time he fouls me when I do a jump hook to the right or the left," Ball said. "He cannot stop me one-on-one. He better make every shot ’cause he can't go around me. He's not fast enough. And he can only make so many shots outside before I make every bucket under the rim."

phpBB [video]

Yeah, he's promoting his sons and looking for attention. I get it. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be called out for his stupidity and tiresome bragging, though. I have to admit, part of me hopes all his kids are massive busts, just to see what kind of verbal and mental gymnastics he'd perform to try and save face.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Re: LaVar Ball reckons he'd destroy MJ one-on-one

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:12 am

at some point people are going to need to start questioning this mans mental state
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 am

You have to be kidding me...
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Of course, he gets attention doing this, so I guess the joke's on us. Mind you, I've seen people elsewhere point out his interesting choice of words:

"A billion dollars, it has to be there," Ball said. "That's our number, a billion, straight out of the gate. And you don't even have to give it to me all up front. Give us $100 mil over 10 years."

Not "you don't even have to give it to them all up front"; "you don't even have to give it to me all up front".

Talk about living through your kids, and using them to cash in on a fortune. Pretty scummy.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:33 pm

i find it funny how people were calling him a good father because his sons can play basketball when to me he seems more like joe jackson
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:45 pm

I wonder if he'll end up scaring teams away from his sons. After all, they've got to know that they won't just be dealing with the kids, they'll be dealing with him, too. That might be more of a headache than teams care to tolerate.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 pm

this is why i really hope the celtics get the first pick and not the second
Sauru

Postby Bruce on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:53 pm

What a trashy attitude from the dad. I hope the kids are nothing like him. The press should just stop talking to him.

I don't even know if Lonzo is worth the #2 pick overall. Lonzo looks more like Kevin Martin than Steph Curry. And Lonzo's skinny frame looks as if he would get abused in the big leagues in his rookie season.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Bruce wrote:What a trashy attitude from the dad. I hope the kids are nothing like him. The press should just stop talking to him.

I don't even know if Lonzo is worth the #2 pick overall. Lonzo looks more like Kevin Martin than Steph Curry. And Lonzo's skinny frame looks as if he would get abused in the big leagues in his rookie season.

I made the same comparison last week (To Kevin Martin), and the two guys I was talking to looked at me like I had three heads. Lonzo Ball, with his game as it is right now, not only shoots like Kevin Martin, but he actually moves a lot like Kevin Martin. He might be a better passer (But we havn't seen him at the next level yet, so who knows).

The way the father acts is actually concerning, I don't think it's funny, It poses a lot of questions for me. I mean, it's easy to think "These kids have it made", but can you imagine the way he talks to them in private? Can you see how what he's doing can be totally destructive mentally to his 3 boys? He also reminds me of a young actor or actresses Father, who absolutely will do whatever he can to live through his child and make bank while he does it.

The whole thing stinks.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Dee4Three wrote:The way the father acts is actually concerning, I don't think it's funny, It poses a lot of questions for me. I mean, it's easy to think "These kids have it made", but can you imagine the way he talks to them in private? Can you see how what he's doing can be totally destructive mentally to his 3 boys? He also reminds me of a young actor or actresses Father, who absolutely will do whatever he can to live through his child and make bank while he does it.

The whole thing stinks.

Spot on. The comparison to a stage parent is an apt one, too. Either that, or the obnoxious Little League parent taken to the max, given his kids have made it through to a higher level.

Even if he isn't being openly nasty or cruel to them in private, there are some potentially very damaging lessons being taught. They're certainly not being taught humility, though there's a lot of entitlement being instilled in them. What happens if they don't succeed at the NBA level, or if success doesn't come straight away? Will they put in the hard work to improve and earn their place in the league, or will they pout and blame everyone else for supposedly holding them back*? Will they be able to deal with disappointments and setbacks; can they cope with failure? Will he be supportive, or will he wash his hands of them for being "losers" (as if he's a big success himself)?

* I can absolutely see this being the excuse LaVar trots out.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Bruce wrote:What a trashy attitude from the dad. I hope the kids are nothing like him. The press should just stop talking to him.

the press wont stop talking to him for the same reason new outlets constantly bombard us with stories of racism. the angrier people are about something the more they tune in. if he was acting normal no one would know or care about him at all
Sauru

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:31 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
The way the father acts is actually concerning, I don't think it's funny, It poses a lot of questions for me. I mean, it's easy to think "These kids have it made", but can you imagine the way he talks to them in private? Can you see how what he's doing can be totally destructive mentally to his 3 boys? He also reminds me of a young actor or actresses Father, who absolutely will do whatever he can to live through his child and make bank while he does it.

The whole thing stinks.

this is why i said he reminds me of joe jackson. i have no doubts that these kids have been the subject to some serious verbal abuse
Sauru

Postby Stress Fracture on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Damn, now I hope Lonzo turns into a bust and his brothers get schooled in high school. That's just plain arrogance
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture
In James I Trust

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Sauru wrote:the press wont stop talking to him for the same reason new outlets constantly bombard us with stories of racism. the angrier people are about something the more they tune in. if he was acting normal no one would know or care about him at all

Very true, sadly. And it worked. Here we are, talking about him. We're scoffing at him, but we're talking about him all the same. It's been proven that articles and other content that cause outrage or are otherwise provocative get shared more and receive more responses than ones that are more even-handed or have a positive slant (unless of course a positive point of view is an unpopular opinion, in which case there is outrage).

Of course, by the same token, it's been demonstrated that "any publicity is good publicity" has its limits. Not everyone is coated in Teflon; one big mistake, one scandal, one time pushing the envelope too far can be someone's downfall. Controversy and brashness sells, until everyone grows tired of the act because it's no longer fresh (not that it ever really was, of course).

Gilbert Arenas is a good example of that. In the beginning, his chip-on-the-shoulder and candid personality were admittedly entertaining, and part of a feel-good story. He was a guy who was heavily doubted, used it as motivation to prove his doubters wrong and establish himself as a star, and created a bit of a persona along the way. Fast forward a few years, and the act was tired, his attitude gratingly bitter and jaded ("Seriously, you're still going on about that?"). His career fizzled, and he became the guy who didn't reach his full potential as a star, with a penchant for spouting ignorant and ridiculous things on social media just to remain relevant.

It's hard to hold back talent, but talent can certainly hold itself back.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:38 pm

i gotta say that so far at least the attitude seems to stop with dad but we will see. sure lemelo is cocky as hell but what high school kid is not? sadly no matter how nice these kids may or may not be they will be targeted because of their father
Sauru

Postby Bruce on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:13 pm

These people could become the Kardashians of basketball.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Jackal on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Sauru wrote:this is why i really hope the celtics get the first pick and not the second

This is why I'm hoping a package of the pick + Julius/Clarkson might fetch PG13. :| If they do keep the pick that is. Image
Jackal

Postby mp3 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:03 am

The guy also wants a billion dollar contract shoe deal for his 3 sons combined, think that is more realistic than the Jordan thing
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:24 am

The way he worded it though, it's obvious he's angling for a big slice of said shoe deal.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:05 am

zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Jeffx on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Richard Williams was wacky at times, but Venus & Serena turned out to be the real deal.

It'll be interesting to see how these young cats turn out.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:41 am

Says his size would help him destroy MJ. Goes on to say Barkley, another Hall of Famer who has achieved way more than desperately trying to live through his kids, is too big.

I mean, Chuck says some silly things at times, but at least the guy's an all-time great in the sport. It doesn't automatically make him right (incidentally, that goes for you too, Shaq), but he's earned the right to talk a little trash. LaVar Ball has not.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 am

its really sad that this mans kids are going to be the most hated players in the league (if more than 1 can even make it) simply because he cannot shut his mouth
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:25 am

Even if they don't end up being hated, he's setting the bar really, really high. Obnoxiously, unrealistically high.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Jackal

Postby volsey on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:09 pm

I was reading the youtube comments on one of his interview videos. People think he's hilarious. I mean they're the same people that think watching Skip Bayless and Steven A Smith jerk each other off is entertaining/informative but still. How is this guy funny for more than 10 seconds after you start to realize he might actually be serious/believe the shit he himself is saying?

I really hope this guy just goes away and doesn't hover around his sons career's (as far as the media is concerned I mean).
volsey

Postby Sauru on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:29 pm

volsey wrote:I was reading the youtube comments on one of his interview videos. People think he's hilarious. I mean they're the same people that think watching Skip Bayless and Steven A Smith jerk each other off is entertaining/informative but still. How is this guy funny for more than 10 seconds after you start to realize he might actually be serious/believe the shit he himself is saying?

I really hope this guy just goes away and doesn't hover around his sons career's (as far as the media is concerned I mean).

the same people that made the kardashians, jersey shore, and the cash me outside girl famous. stupid people enjoy stupid shit
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:13 pm

People give way too much credit to the idea of being outspoken or "uncensored", as if that immediately makes a joke funny, an opinion worthwhile, or an assertion in any way credible and intelligent. The "he's just being a supportive father" and "who are we to tell him how to raise his kids?" arguments get trotted out a lot too, as if that nullifies all criticism.

Again, I realise that by starting and continuing to have a conversation about him, I'm part of the problem. He has our attention and we're talking about him, so we're all part of the problem. I have to admit though, pointing out what he's doing and muttering to each other "Can you believe this guy?" is pretty damn cathartic.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:21 am

Andrew wrote:People give way too much credit to the idea of being outspoken or "uncensored", as if that immediately makes a joke funny, an opinion worthwhile, or an assertion in any way credible and intelligent. The "he's just being a supportive father" and "who are we to tell him how to raise his kids?" arguments get trotted out a lot too, as if that nullifies all criticism.

Again, I realise that by starting and continuing to have a conversation about him, I'm part of the problem. He has our attention and we're talking about him, so we're all part of the problem. I have to admit though, pointing out what he's doing and muttering to each other "Can you believe this guy?" is pretty damn cathartic.

You are not part of the problem. I think the discussion about how unhealthy this type of behavior is for the kids is absolutely necessary. One thing that bothers me though, is that MOST of the people I see commenting aren't even bringing up how this impacts the kids, how it impacts the kids mentality. Most of the comments are related to "What an idiot", "Hes just trying to get attention", "He averaged 2PPG in college and he thinks he can win?". The big picture issue is the kids. We saw it with numerous stars parents whether they be actors/actresses or athletes. It is absolutely okay to be there for your kids (Look at Dell Curry, he does it the right way). He is just there cheering on Steph/Seth, as well as being the rock in the family in general. I havn't even heard Lonzo Ball speak, but I have heard Lavar Ball speak SO MANY TIMES.

It makes me wonder what that household was like with those kids growing up... and what it is still like today...

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 am

Fair point. I guess I was looking at it from the angle of "he wants attention, and in a way, I'm giving it to him", but I'd agree it's a worthwhile conversation. Especially given how people are enabling it, and not looking at the bigger picture, as you noted.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Bruce on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:24 pm

phpBB [video]

Y'all probably seen this before, but this is how a dad should put his kid in his right place. lol

Love that once over from dell to steph, like he is saying are you watching this son?
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:37 pm

It also helps that Dell Curry actually did make it in the NBA, was a quality player for over a decade, and his support of his sons hasn't involved stealing the spotlight and being obnoxious. And even if he were more "visible" and cocky, again, at least he made it in the NBA, and one of his sons has actually established himself as a star, with the other one starting to find his place as well.

LaVar Ball wishes he was something he never was or could be, and now he's going to try and live out his wildest dreams through his sons, by hook or by crook.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:40 pm

This is what the Celtics are gonna have to deal with. They will be sorry for not trading the pick for an established superstar like Jimmy Butler. Good luck trying to win a ship with this kid and his dad.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Well, it's not like they'll be forced to pick him or anything. He wouldn't be the first player to be passed over due to off-court/character concerns.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Will Lonzo's draft stock drop because of his dad?
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture
In James I Trust

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:32 pm

The notion of LaVar calling the shots and being a distraction will probably be a concern, and possibly lead to Lonzo's stock dropping, especially if he doesn't live up to the hype in workouts. On that note, the workouts will probably be the bigger factor at the end of the day, but you can't rule out the possibility of LaVar scaring away teams...especially given his insistence that all his sons play for the Lakers.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 am

As usual, people are defending it because he's supporting his kids, etc etc.

Once again though, it's setting the bar really, really high. It's great that he believes in them that much, but is he preparing them for setbacks? Success doesn't always come quickly in the NBA, and even for players who do have an impact right away, many of them still had a ways to go before they became the all-time greats we now know them as. And yes, you need confidence and to believe in yourself, blah blah blah. But humility and knowing how to properly deal with failure and setbacks are not only admirable traits, but extremely useful ones.

Saying stuff like this is basically painting a target on his kids when they get to the league. Players like LeBron and Westbrook are going to go at him, and they're not going to handle him with kid gloves. He's no longer going to be a big fish in a small pond; he'll be in a league that's weeded out the guys who weren't big enough, strong enough, athletic enough, or talented enough to make it in the world's premiere professional basketball competition. They're not going to take it easy on him, and he's not going to find them easy to contend with. He's going to get trash talked. He's going to have moments where he's embarrassed, and doesn't perform well on a bigger stage than he's ever been on. If he's a high lottery pick, coming in with all this hype and all the obnoxious things his father has been saying, the fans and the media are not going to be patient, or kind, if he doesn't live up to expectations.

If that all happens...will he handle it? Will LaVar handle it? Will he know how to support his son? Will he support his son, or will he cut his losses and start favouring the other two as they try to make it in the NBA? Again, it's fine to have confidence, it's good to be a supportive parent. But this approach is misguided and dangerous. The whole "living through your kids" stuff, and trying to build a brand to make money off them, is kind of sick, too.

And since MJ's name has come up in all this...can you imagine what he would've done if he were in the league and in his prime today, upon facing Lonzo Ball for the first time? I imagine it would make the LaBradford Smith incident look like a friendly shootaround, all while having a few choice words to say to LaVar on the sideline. Few players have ever come close to MJ's maniacal competitive drive, but don't let the trainwreck of an All-Star Game fool you; in games that count, there are great players in the league today who take things very seriously, and have the talent to light up and shut down opponents when they've got it locked in.

LaVar better hope Lonzo is ready for that, and that he's a hundredth as good as he claims he is. Reality could be a very harsh mistress indeed.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Nothing wrong with being a proud parent, but that's too much.

I do hope Lonzo will be really prepared when he gets drafted. Pretty sure he'll be a target of heckling when he plays.

Stress Fracture
In James I Trust

Postby air gordon on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:11 am

do the top prospects even workout for teams anymore? they are so concerned with protecting their draft position they even refuse to do a workout for a team/ go up against another top prospect.
During opening introductions, Jordan Bell made curious gestures with his hands, which he admitted after the game were meant to symbolize rubbing money together. "I wanted to see how cash considerations was doing over there," Bell said.
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:19 am

I was under the impression it still happened. There's the NBA Draft Combine, if nothing else.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 am

For what it's worth: NBA Execs: LaVar Ball Won’t Harm Lonzo Ball’s Draft Stock

For all the recent focus on LaVar and his one-man media tour – the endless string of interviews full of cocky claims and premature promises, coupled with insults at everyone from Stephen Curry to Charles Barkley and Michael Jordan – the consensus among front office executives who discussed the matter with USA TODAY Sports this week was that his draft stock won’t be harmed by his father’s controversial style. As one general manager put it, and many other executives confirmed in various forms when consulted on the matter, “No one’s paying attention to Ball’s father.”

I suppose everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but taken at face value...fair enough. Still, you can't help but wonder. I still reckon the kid's going to have a huge target on him when he enters the league, and might find the hype difficult to live up to. Glancing at some comments on social media and that article I linked to, seems people are buying into it. Let's see what he does against NBA competition.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Lonzo looked phenomenal tonight. Almost got a triple double and the game just looked too easy for him. burying 25' 3s with ease, finding open teammates for dunks & layups. He'll definitely be a top pick this year if he decides to take a chance on going to the Lakers and not waiting to play with his brothers at UCLA. He'll be able to improve his draft stock over the others as he's one of the few left in the tournament
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Do you think he'll be doing that with ease at the NBA level?

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Via Kenny Smith on Twitter:

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Charles told him to post that lmao

Stress Fracture
In James I Trust

Postby Sauru on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 pm

NovU wrote:This is what the Celtics are gonna have to deal with. They will be sorry for not trading the pick for an established superstar like Jimmy Butler. Good luck trying to win a ship with this kid and his dad.

i would be more than happy to have him on my team though i would still prefer we take fultz
Sauru

Postby Bruce on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 pm

I don't think I will ever understand this LaVar character, but this interview does makes a little sense of what he is all about. He does not look all that bad, except again that BBB brand really looks like trash.
phpBB [video]

But, putting LaVar beside Steven A. Smith, it kind of puts thing in perspective for me of what kind of person LaVar is. Compared to Steven A. LaVar actually looks like a sane decent person.
phpBB [video]

And with that said, I have only watched 3 LaVar videos ever and I do not plan to again, unless the Lakers actually (have to) draft Lonzo.
YEAH BOY!
Bruce

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:34 pm

I don't know, I think I'd still take Stephen A. over LaVar. Stephen A. has made good points more often, if only by accident.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:55 pm

i couldnt even watch this video. i got about 60 seconds in before i said "i am done with this dude" and loaded up a hearthstone video
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Despite LaVar Ball's proclamations, UCLA has been eliminated from the tournament. Naturally, it didn't take the Internet long to respond.

You know, as much as I normally dislike the Crying Jordan image macros, I do enjoy this one. There's something very, very, very cathartic about seeing obnoxious blowhard braggarts trying to live vicariously through their kids have to eat crow.

Andrew
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball