Denver picks up Roy Hibbert

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Denver picks up Roy Hibbert

Postby benji on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:40 am

No story yet. Pick is like top 55 protected or something, basically they're just taking him for free.
Denver Nuggets get:
Roy Hibbert, C

Milwaukee Bucks get:
Protected future second-round pick
benji

Re: Denver picks up Roy Hibbert

Postby [Q] on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:31 am

What a fall from grace for someone who was one of the better centers in the league not too long ago
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:01 am

Yeah, we're only a couple of years removed from him posting pretty respectable numbers for someone who wasn't the focus of the offense, and was only playing around half the game. With Jokic's emergence, he's probably not going to get a lot of minutes in Denver. He's only 30 however and has avoided major injuries thus far, so there should be an opportunity to resurrect his career elsewhere after this season.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby PeacemanNOT on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:01 pm

The NBA is in a Stretch-5 Revolution right now. Guys like Roy Hibbert, Al Jefferson and Andrew Bogut are all going to find it difficult to find a place in the coming years. I mean just look at their stats this season.

When you can't shoot, and you're too old to make a major impact on defense like a Hassan Whiteside or Nerlens Noel can, you're not worth much anymore. There's a reason why Marc Gasol is starting to shoot more threes all of a sudden...
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby mp3 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Not sure how Hibbert fell so hard when every teams needs a rim protector and he also can hit the 15-18 jumper too so you would think there would be a place for him in the league.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:48 pm

Yeah, the three-point revolution makes players of his ilk dinosaurs at the offensive end, but they still have value on defense.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:32 pm

You guys must not have watched Hibbert play defense in the last couple of years. Dude spends more time on his ass on the court than standing up.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 pm

Granted, but he has played better defense in the past. It would be his ticket to sticking around in the league, if he can recapture that form.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:17 am

What are the odds of that happening though? Dude hasn't been effective since that season in Indiana.

He's had ample opportunity, since then, right? I think a guy like Bogut would be more effective since he actually still tries.
Jackal

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:44 am

Jackal wrote:You guys must not have watched Hibbert play defense in the last couple of years. Dude spends more time on his ass on the court than standing up.

I agree with this. He has looked horrible. He didn't even deserve the minutes he was getting with the Lakers. He looked slow, couldn't move well laterally, and his offensive game looked broken. He had such a hard time getting up and down the floor.

When he was with the Pacers, he seemed to move much better, his rotations were faster. He has really gone downhill.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby air gordon on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:40 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:The NBA is in a Stretch-5 Revolution right now. Guys like Roy Hibbert, Al Jefferson and Andrew Bogut are all going to find it difficult to find a place in the coming years. I mean just look at their stats this season.

When you can't shoot, and you're too old to make a major impact on defense like a Hassan Whiteside or Nerlens Noel can, you're not worth much anymore. There's a reason why Marc Gasol is starting to shoot more threes all of a sudden...

Bogut is probably going to latch on to a contender

Hibbert and Jefferson are old so they will fade away. Non shooting centers are valuable. Tristan thompson, steven adams, deandra jordan, JV, Cody Zeller, Gortat, etc
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby PeacemanNOT on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:40 am

air gordon wrote:
PeacemanNOT wrote:The NBA is in a Stretch-5 Revolution right now. Guys like Roy Hibbert, Al Jefferson and Andrew Bogut are all going to find it difficult to find a place in the coming years. I mean just look at their stats this season.

Bogut is probably going to latch on to a contender

Hibbert and Jefferson are old so they will fade away. Non shooting centers are valuable. Tristan thompson, steven adams, deandra jordan, JV, Cody Zeller, Gortat, etc

Yeah all younger players that rebound and play defense (apart from Gortat who is a rare exception). AKA Hassan Whiteside and Nerlens Noel like I said in the post above.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby air gordon on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:41 am

So if you're old and can't play defense you won't play? I agree with that

IMO a player like al Jefferson in his prime will always have a place in the league. He could score efficiently, get to the free throw line, draw double teams. You're telling me that's no longer coveted?
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 am

air gordon wrote:So if you're old and can't play defense you won't play? I agree with that

IMO a player like al Jefferson in his prime will always have a place in the league. He could score efficiently, get to the free throw line, draw double teams. You're telling me that's no longer coveted?

I agree with that 100%. That skill set is still a great asset. The post game is not, and will never be, completely dead.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:04 am

Out of Bogut, Jefferson, and Hibbert, Bogut is the oldest, and the one who's suffered the most injuries. On the other hand, the effort is there, he's also a fine passer, and he's probably pretty fresh after being benched in Dallas, so yeah, maybe he does have the best shot at sticking around.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball