All-Star Weekend 2017

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

All-Star Weekend 2017

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:15 pm

So, thoughts on this year's All-Star Weekend so far?

I'm quite underwhelmed to be honest. There was a bit of excitement with the overtime round in the Three-Point Shootout, but the Slam Dunk Contest definitely didn't live up to last year. That was going to be a tall order as last year did immediately become one of the most exciting contests in the history of the event, but this year didn't even come close. Most of the attempts were variations on the same idea, Gordon's drone was another corny gimmick (and rather shameless product placement), which wasn't helped by the multiple attempts. The final round was anti-climactic, with the only really noteworthy dunks coming in the first round.

If the All-Star game tomorrow turns into another impromptu three-point contest, I'll probably end up switching it off by the second quarter.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: All-Star Weekend 2017

Postby big-shot-ROB on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Totally agree with you. It is true we didn't start with the right foot given the quality of last year's contests. The 3pt contest was raw, but the dunk contest was not better than underwhelming. The fact that I had to stay awake until 4:30 am might have conditioned me, but I really felt the contest had no climax. Too many missed dunks, no one was selling them, crowd was kind of bored.

I feel like the modern day era is wasting their possibilites. Why anyone uses the light effects anymore? Just go back to J-Rich 2005-2006 contests. Also, the players courtside seem to care less. They never get up, and they prefer to record the dunk with their mobiles rather than watching it and reacting to it. I guess I felt really in love with the 00' gangsta style, with the baggy pants, the hats, the shinny in-game jerseys and that old look 2000-2009 dunk contests have.

Quite disappointed.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Very disappointed in the dunk contest. I had to stay up between 4:30 and 5 something am to catch the dunk contest live and it was a bummer. DJ showed up like he was made by a kid relative to show up. Aaron Gordon was so determined to win but those first bad drone dunks got under his skin and he never got it going. Even though the last two guys "saved" the contest so to speak, their dunks were very repetitive. Maybe I wasn't paying too much attention and I was tired, but it looked like they did the same "jump over people" dunk, eventually adding/taking away a person?
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:Maybe I wasn't paying too much attention and I was tired, but it looked like they did the same "jump over people" dunk, eventually adding/taking away a person?

I'd say you're absolutely right there. It was afternoon here in Australia when I was watching the contest, and my fresher eyes saw the exact same thing. It's already been done a lot in the contest to begin with, but then they kept doing the same thing.

To Gordon's credit, the dunk he was trying to do off the bounce from the drone was creative and spectacular in its own right, but not entirely original, and the drone felt like a corny gimmick to me. It was a letdown after he and LaVine were doing great stuff mostly just doing tricks with the ball last year.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:39 am

this dunk contest was total shit. mind numbing how boring it was. miss, miss, miss, miss, miss still get a 38. how the fuck can you get anything but a 0 if you dont actually complete a dunk? winner did the same dunk just jumping over different shit each time. the props are only ok if they make it the first time. once the wow factor is gone the dunk loses a lot. watching it 3 times gets boring. one thing i do agree with shaq on, if you need 3 times to do the dunk i am not scoring it a 10. i wish they would do the 3 on 3 again at the all star game. i enjoyed watching that. as it is now i only care about the use/world game and 3 point contest. well as far as the lead up events go, i still enjoy the actual game
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:34 am

Agreed. That said, I don't mind the idea of a maximum score of 25 on failed attempts, so that players can get some points for the idea and near-execution, but there's no way that judges should be able to award more than five in that scenario. Jumping over obstacles has become the new between-the-legs and free throw line dunk. Unless you can put a new twist on it, it's overdone, and it certainly shouldn't be the basis of all your attempts.

In all fairness, like I said, there are going to be years where the dunk contest isn't better than the last. It's like the Playoffs, the Finals, whatever: some years are going to better than others, and that's just the way it is. Unfortunately, this year was pretty bland to put it very nicely, and it didn't help that we came off one of the all-time great contests last year. Oh well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 am

i know its not a popular opinion but i would rather see them set the dunk to be attempted and the player who did it the best gets the best score. the dunks are getting lost to the creative aspect of the event.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:49 am

Wouldn't that stifle creativity even more, though? The Wheel in 2002 kind of sucked.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:57 am

Set dunks are kind of the opposite of creativity. We just need people to start doing something different. Last year was something different and it's the best dunk contest of all time (this isn't an argument someone went between the leg from the free throw line and another guy sat on someone's head).

It's more the dunkers at fault. If players spent as much time practicing 720's or between the legs twice as they do jumping over people we would have already seen some great dunks.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:14 am

the problem is there is no creativity. its just "watch me jump over this" and "lets use this product so i can cash in on an advertisement deal". the dunk contest is total shit. also there is the lack of star power but i think its a pretty safe bet to assume we wont see any big names clash in the dunk contest again. its a no win situation for these guys
Sauru

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:27 am

Not really true. Zach Lavine established himself through the contest. He did it by doing things we haven't seen. You can't bring out creativity by getting rid of creative freedom.
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 pm

All-Star game has had a few fun moments so far - Durant lobbing to Westbrook for the dunk was unexpected, though I was kind of hoping they'd freeze each other out all game - but there's also been threes. Lots and lots of threes. Sequences where one player runs up, misses a three, rebound, another player runs up, misses a three, rebound, and so on and so forth for six or seven plays in a row. I'm thinking they just need to cancel the game, and expand the Three-Point Shootout to 32 players or something. And like I've said before, the game has always had a pickup atmosphere with more casual defense, but the last few years, it's been absolutely non-existent. The scoring records that they're setting these days ring a little hollow when both teams are going out there and actively letting each other put up points.

Yeah, I know, I know. That's what the game is now, and it is what it is. But for me, it's disappointing. This isn't a bitter "the 90s were all that" nostalgic rose-coloured rant, either. I was still really enjoying the game up until 2012, 2013. The last few years, though? For me, it's gone right down the toilet. Guess it's just something I'll have to accept, and either see if I can enjoy it for what it is, or just give it a miss in the future. It's a shame though, because I used to love the All-Star Weekend.

Sauru wrote:the problem is there is no creativity. its just "watch me jump over this" and "lets use this product so i can cash in on an advertisement deal". the dunk contest is total shit. also there is the lack of star power but i think its a pretty safe bet to assume we wont see any big names clash in the dunk contest again. its a no win situation for these guys

But again, we had a really great contest last year. A couple of others in recent years have been fun as well. This one was just a big disappointment, no need to blow it up or make drastic changes just because this year's field was subpar.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Curry chucks up a three from halfcourt with plenty of time remaining, because why not.

The All-Star Game used to be an incredible showcase of NBA basketball. Now it's two basketball gamers playing on Rookie, chucking threes. Ah well. Enough grumpy old 32 year old whinging. Guess it's my cue to go do something else. :lol:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Leander on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Good thing: buying the game with Paypal worked (last year it didn't...only credit card). Bad thing: it's boring. The all star games in the 90s were fun with Ewing, Olajuwon, David Robinson. What is better than a star, a good player, another good player and two average players going up against a star, a good player, a very good player and two average players (= some random NBA game)? Right, 5 stars vs. 5 stars...with skill vs. skill, experience vs. experience...offense vs. defense. Top defenders vs. top scorers...but the last years have been horrible. I call it sell out. The commentators just said they like it...they want to see 200 points a team. Why? It is not about who is on the court but the skills he shows. If it is just dunk after dunk with no D at all why not watch some random dunkers play? Or college players? Where's the excitement and fun? Everybody has seen enough dunks all season long...why not watch the best of the best COMPETE? See who's better? Fight and try hard to win??? Normally, players should show why they are all stars...show their skills, their dedication. It does not even matter who has the best ball handling, who backs down like a tank, who is the best defender, who runs pick and rolls well...it's just a "hey, watch me dribble, I pass you the ball, then you throw me a pass and duuunk"....

The game does not make sense at all. It is a disgrace to basketball and competition in general. Last all star game I've cared for. (N)
Leander

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:15 pm

You all take this game way too serious. It's a showcase not a competition. Stop trying to make it game 7 and enjoy it.
zzcoolj21

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:51 pm

this game was a joke. i get it needs to be laid back but playing no defense at all ruins this game. why even have refs out there? davis not even crossing half court so he can make sure he got 50. terrible all-star weekend
Sauru

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:55 pm

zzcoolj21 wrote:You all take this game way too serious. It's a showcase not a competition. Stop trying to make it game 7 and enjoy it.
zzcoolj21

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:00 pm

thats the problem. there is nothing to enjoy about them turning the all star gaming into a hybrid 3 point/slam dunk contest
Sauru

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Given the 3pt contest and slam dunk contest are their biggest events, there is a lot to enjoy.
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Sauru wrote:this game was a joke. i get it needs to be laid back but playing no defense at all ruins this game. why even have refs out there? davis not even crossing half court so he can make sure he got 50. terrible all-star weekend

Couldn't agree more. I think it'll be the last one I watch live.

zzcoolj21 wrote:You all take this game way too serious. It's a showcase not a competition. Stop trying to make it game 7 and enjoy it.

Yes, the All-Star Game has always been a showcase, where players are looking to strut their stuff and get fancy, and defense is a little more lax. That's great! Like I've said before, I've always enjoyed that aspect of it. But what we've been seeing the past few years hasn't resembled anything close to competitive basketball, or even entertaining basketball. Watching DeMarcus Cousins run up the floor and fire up 35 foot three-pointers on three consecutive plays is not a showcase of basketball. It's ugly, and a farce. The game turning into an impromptu three-point contest and a concerted effort for both teams to score 200 points is dull. Again, it's like watching a couple of people playing a basketball video game on Rookie, and chucking up threes with everyone because they don't really know anything about the sport.

No one is saying it should be like Game 7 of the NBA Finals. To suggest that the All-Star Game can only be played this way, or like a Game 7, is fallacious and a false dichotomy. Some of us would simply like to see a bit more defense, and a showcase of great basketball talent, rather than this current approach of standing around while everyone tries to pot as many threes as possible, or not even bothering with matador defense. The style of the All-Star Game has really changed drastically these past few years, and in my opinion, not for the better. There's a lot of sloppiness compared to the games of the past; it's no longer a good showcase of basketball. When players can easily waltz into the lane for a big dunk play after play, it becomes less special. When it's the tenth play in a row that a player has run up and taken a three from 30 feet out, it's rather dull and repetitive.

I do like to see spectacular dunks, crazy lobs, big threes, and sweet crossovers. I'm sure a lot of other people do, too. But the way the All-Star game is being played these days, they're actually finding a way to make all those cool highlights dull! With nothing being taken seriously, with absolutely no defense being played, those highlights come much easier, and they feel much less special as a result. When Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter suddenly broke out those lobs off the backboard all those years ago, it brought us out of our seats because it was so unexpected. Now, everyone stands back so that they can try it. That feels a little cheap, and manufactured. Same goes for the scoring records. They meant more when the games were more competitive.

But, that's the way it is. The highlights are still there, so for everyone who does still enjoy it, that's cool. By all means enjoy it and have fun, because that's a big part of what this exhibition is about. But it used to be different, and I and other fans miss it, and don't care for what the game has evolved into. Both sides are entitled to their point of view, though for those of us who are disappointed, I guess we basically have to accept it and find a way to enjoy it, or like I said, give the All-Star a miss from now on.

It's a shame, because I've always been a fan of the All-Star Weekend, and the All-Star Game. I've defended fan voting, and disagreed with assertions that the All-Star game is pointless or has no prestige. Now, I find myself beginning to agree with those opinions, and that's a shame. It's like when your favourite TV show jumps the shark, your favourite band hasn't released a good album in years, or something else you enjoy has lost its shine. I'm not saying other people can't or shouldn't enjoy what the All-Star Game has become, but personally, I find it difficult. It's a far cry from the event that wowed me all those years ago, and entertained me year after year, right up until a few seasons ago.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Sauru wrote:thats the problem. there is nothing to enjoy about them turning the all star gaming into a hybrid 3 point/slam dunk contest

Yep. When everything tries to be a highlight play, and there's absolutely no effort to try and stop it, what should be spectacular actually loses its shine. When the approach is to play as little defense as possible and let everyone score as much as possible, broken records don't feel as special.

It's like the money ball rack in the Three-Point Shootout. Over a couple of decades went by and no one had broken Craig Hodges' record, so they upped the amount of points that could be scored and lo and behold, the record is broken. It feels kind of cheap.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:13 pm

I guess I cant force you to like anything you don't, but saying this wasn't enjoyable to watch is astonishing to me. I would much rather watch this than a regular season game ending 81-88. How about we let the players show off their athletic talent and shooting abilities. You don't make TV revenue (especially in China, a large market they are tapping into) on solid shot contests.

Let the players do what they want to do instead of doing something they have to do every single day through the regular season. Defense is taxing. There's a reason James Harden doesn't play any (besides the fact he can't).
zzcoolj21

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:29 pm

When people say they enjoy the current style, that's kind of astonishing to people like Sauru and myself. ;)

Again, let's not get into a false dichotomy of it having to be the current style, or Game 7 lockdown defense (or even what we'd expect in a regular season game). The game used to have a bit more resistance, and a lot of the time, it just seems like really sloppy basketball now. The highlights are still fun - even if some of them feel like they come way too easily and are manufactured - but there's parts of the current approach that are definitely not entertaining to watch. Watching Cousins brick long three after long three isn't my idea of an entertaining basketball exhibition. Even when the better shooters stand around and try to pot threes...isn't that what the Shootout is for?

Personally, I'd prefer defense and competitiveness to be turned up a couple of notches (so to speak), with a bit more passing and snazzy plays, more like it was up until a few years ago. It doesn't look like that's going to happen, so like I said, I'm going to have to either find a way to enjoy it for what it is, or give it a miss in the future. Ultimately my call and my problem there, though I'm not alone in the point of view. I do maintain that as long as that's the approach however, the scoring records feel a bit cheap.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:35 pm

there is nothing fun about 2 teams letting each other score so they might hit 200. it was a glorified shoot around. i want to watch a basketball game. an 88-81 game is far better than the shit show that was just on tv.
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:46 pm

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer the style that's somewhere between glorified shootaround and up-tempo regular season game. That's how I'd describe the game in years past, and that was fun for me.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA & Basketball