Carmelo Anthony Trade Watch

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Carmelo Anthony Trade Watch

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:48 am

It's been about five years, but it seems like we're once again waiting to see when and where Carmelo Anthony will be traded. After a proposed deal of Melo for Kevin Love fell through - because the Cavs obviously aren't breaking up their All-Star trio - this is apparently the latest word on the matter.

Sources: Knicks, Clippers seeking 3rd team for Carmelo Anthony deal

The New York Knicks and LA Clippers are searching for third-team facilitators to keep alive the prospect of completing a Carmelo Anthony trade, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Knicks continue to discuss the prospect of sending Anthony to Los Angeles without taking back any of the Clippers' top three stars but have struggled to find a trade construction that works for both teams involving the other players on L.A.'s roster.

The most substantive talks between the teams took place last week, according to sources with knowledge of the discussions, but have continued into this week as the Clippers have maintained a consistent interest in Anthony, who has two years and roughly $53 million remaining on his contract.

The Knicks also have continued to try to assemble a workable trade that the Cleveland Cavaliers would consider for Anthony after ESPN.com first reported earlier this week that the Cavs rebuffed Anthony-for-Kevin Love proposals.

The Clippers, sources said, have made it clear they have no interest in surrendering Paul, All-Star center DeAndre Jordan or Blake Griffin in an Anthony trade, but they also couldn't trade Griffin to the Knicks even if they wanted to.

League rules, under the NBA's current labor agreement, prevent teams from trading for two players who were signed by their original team via a designated player maximum contract extension. The Knicks already have one such player on their roster in Derrick Rose.

ESPN reported last week that Knicks president Phil Jackson met with Anthony and asked if he wanted to remain a Knick. Sources close to Anthony said he reaffirmed his desire to stay in New York at that meeting.

But both sides, sources said, left the meeting with an understanding that if Anthony were to provide a list of teams to the Knicks, they likely would begin soliciting offers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Carmelo Anthony Trade Watch

Postby Sauru on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:23 pm

i am curious if being on a legit championship contender would motivate anthony enough to make having him worth while. personally i dont see him being of great value to any team that has a real chance to win...then again that's a list of only 2 teams
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:25 pm

I imagine being on a better team would motivate him somewhat. I don't see him going to a team like the Cavs, Warriors, or Spurs; I see him more as a player who goes to a team like the Clippers, Hawks, or Wizards, and helps them take the next step towards being a contender. I'm actually surprised there aren't more rumours of him going to the Wizards - whether grounded in fact or not - seeing as how he spent much of his youth in Baltimore.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:24 am

if i am the cavs i only bring him on board if he agrees to come off the bench. which he will never do
Sauru

Postby NovU on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Sauru wrote:i am curious if being on a legit championship contender would motivate anthony enough to make having him worth while. personally i dont see him being of great value to any team that has a real chance to win...then again that's a list of only 2 teams

I would say he would be a great player on a team where he would be a 3rd or 4th best player. He thrives in international stages(olympics) and it's evident his skillset is best used when defensive attention is diverted away from him. His catch & shoot ability is great asset and he doesn't need to be a ball stopper which hurts the team really.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Sauru on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:37 am

NovU wrote:
Sauru wrote:i am curious if being on a legit championship contender would motivate anthony enough to make having him worth while. personally i dont see him being of great value to any team that has a real chance to win...then again that's a list of only 2 teams

I would say he would be a great player on a team where he would be a 3rd or 4th best player. He thrives in international stages(olympics) and it's evident his skillset is best used when defensive attention is diverted away from him. His catch & shoot ability is great asset and he doesn't need to be a ball stopper which hurts the team really.

i want to see him traded to a good team so we can actually see the results. i think its what he needs to get his shit together. assuming he is willing to be a 3rd option like you said. at the very least we can stop saying he never had a team around him
Sauru

Postby Jeffx on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:51 am

Sauru wrote:if i am the cavs i only bring him on board if he agrees to come off the bench. which he will never do

It makes no sense, all this Love for Carmelo talk I'm hearing. Cavs need a true PG and a rim protector. Plus Love is younger, a better rebounder and he made an amazing pass to LeBron last night against the Wizards.
Jeffx

Postby Sauru on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Jeffx wrote:
Sauru wrote:if i am the cavs i only bring him on board if he agrees to come off the bench. which he will never do

It makes no sense, all this Love for Carmelo talk I'm hearing. Cavs need a true PG and a rim protector. Plus Love is younger, a better rebounder and he made an amazing pass to LeBron last night against the Wizards.

this is why i said i only bring him in if he comes off the bench. you keep your core and get a guy like carmelo to play 6th man then you take it. i agree with you on their needs. they are lacking exactly what they let walk away in free agency.
Sauru

Postby Jeffx on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:54 pm

Once again, Carmelo & Phil are playing a game of chicken. Last time, Carmelo won and wound up with a no-trade clause.
Jeffx

Return to NBA & Basketball