Favorite play-by play announcer/broadcaster in the NBA

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Favorite play-by play announcer/broadcaster in the NBA

Postby Chicago1 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:42 am

Hi guys

Just to start a fun discussion, which play by play announcer/ broadcaster do you enjoy listening the most to?

I personally liked the Cavaliers duo of Fred McLeod / Austin Carr, really enjoyable to hear (Y)
Who dares wins
Chicago1

Re: Favorite play-by play announcer/broadcaster in the NBA

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:44 am

Marv Albert on play-by-play, of course. I'm not so thrilled about the analysts he's paired up with these days, but it could be worse. Same goes for Kevin Harlan; TNT has two of the all-time best play-by-play guys, but I'm not the biggest fan of guys like Reggie Miller and Chris Webber in the analyst role.

While we're talking about the national broadcasts, I've really come to enjoy Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy. I'm not a fan of Mark Jackson though, so I enjoy broadcasts a lot more when he's not making it a three man booth.

I'm obviously somewhat biased towards Neil Funk and Stacey King. King's enthusiasm is pretty entertaining, if you're a Bulls fans. It might come off as a bit annoying and obnoxious otherwise. I actually quite like the Miami Heat's broadcast team of Eric Reid and Tony Fiorentino. They're refreshingly unbiased, as much as local broadcasters can be. For the opposite reason, Sean Elliott and Clyde Drexler are two of my least favourite analysts.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:16 am

I think Portland fired their team and hired Kevin calabro so I like Portland home games. I've always liked watching Atlanta and Charlotte broadcasts as well. Charlotte's 3 man (and woman) booth is interesting.

Can't stand Cleveland and whoever has Clark Kellogg. Joel Meyers with new Orleans was the Lakers commentator and I can't stand him.

Nationally, I like breen and jvg but Mark Jackson is scum of the earth. Doris Burke annoys me. I don't mind Reggie and cwebb although I wish they still had Payton on their NBA TV shows. He was hilarious.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:47 pm

I believe Clark Kellogg is (or at least was) with the Pacers. Hope I get to see some Blazers games with Kevin Calabro on the call.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Chicago1 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:23 pm

I also can't stand Clark Kellogg and Doris Burke at times, on the game too :lol:
Who dares wins
Chicago1

Postby mp3 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:03 am

Every knicks fan raves about Walt Clyde Frazer but I think sometimes his quotes can sound so repeated like you have being playing 2k too long.

Mike Breen on the other hand I love and think he and JVG team up really well together, definitely prefer ESPN'S commentary on the whole than TNTs theses days and I think I prefer there presentation as well, I do though always watch the after show on tnt with Chuck, Shaq etc..

Someone I do find to be quite refreshing on the knicks commentary crew when he gets to call games from time to time is Wally Szczerbiak.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:43 am

Mike Gorman and Tom Heinsohn. Yes, Heinsohn. He may be a homer, but he has a true passion for the game and his team. And Gorman is just a class act, and his voice IS the Boston Celtics.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:27 am

mp3 wrote:Someone I do find to be quite refreshing on the knicks commentary crew when he gets to call games from time to time is Wally Szczerbiak.

So that's what Wally World is up to these days!

Dee4Three wrote:Mike Gorman and Tom Heinsohn. Yes, Heinsohn. He may be a homer, but he has a true passion for the game and his team. And Gorman is just a class act, and his voice IS the Boston Celtics.

I think he's more entertaining than most other commentators who are homers, too.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:40 am

Yeah Wally works for MSG theses days usually pre/post game with Alan Hann
mp3

Postby [Q] on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Mike Gorman and Tom Heinsohn. Yes, Heinsohn. He may be a homer, but he has a true passion for the game and his team. And Gorman is just a class act, and his voice IS the Boston Celtics.

someone needs to give Heinsohn a Tommy Point to go away and never come back ever again. Can't stand Boston's broadcast. Would rather put it on mute lol
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:18 pm

I get there passion (Celtics) but sometimes there is a little Boston Blindness when it comes to one of there players being at fault.
mp3

Postby Murat on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:21 am

Breen? Really? I think he ruins some of the insane plays. A dull bang? Hell no.
Last edited by Murat on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Murat on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:21 am

Wow, no one mentioned may favorite duo; Mike Tirico-Hubie Brown!

I watch Kobe's farewell performance at least twice in a month. It's so great to listen these two men.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jeffx on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:30 am

As a Knicks fan since 1969, of course I'm going with Marv. Sh*t, I practically grew up listening to that mfer. The only cat who comes close to Marv is Kevin Harlan. I like his voice, and he does a great job on the NFL too.

When it comes to analysts, no one does it better than ex-Knicks coach Hubie Brown. He breaks the game down for you in a way even the casual fan can understand. Hubie is "Basketball for Dummies".
Jeffx

Postby Moz on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:44 am

JVG is the one I enjoyed the most nowadays but Kevin Harlan is the best. Marv Albert is good as well and Steve Kerr was a great analyst when he's with TNT. Of course, since I'm a Bulls follower, I enjoy the WGN/CSN team of King and Funk although Stacey can get loud and annoying from time to time that Neil have to change the subject to calm him down. I don't mind the other guy but Austin Carr irritates me... Sometimes it's that like their tv crew will nudge him and he'll blabber some cringe-worthy phrases just to show that he's not sleeping on the job... Speaking of cringe-worthy, I reckon Clyde Frazier's talking some good basketball tidbits from time to time but he's more concerned on what Darryl Dawkins poem lines he'll use on the next play... The Celtics crew without Tommy Heinson (I'm not fond of Heinson's homerism by the way... I enjoy when he goes apeshit though) is like watching golf but the one I despise the most are the Clippers broadcasters. You're like watching NBA Jam because the catch phrases are just in a loop every basket and then when they do their analysis they were like fangirls who were asked how that boyband concert went...
Nationwide is on your side...
Moz
What a load of bollocks...

Postby [Q] on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:05 am

I forgot about hubie. I liked the way he explained things without sounding condescending
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:45 pm

The Real Badger wrote:Breen? Really? I think he ruins some of the insane plays. A dull bang? Hell no.

I've never found Breen's delivery of "Bang!" to be dull or monotone.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:31 am

I'm normally tolerant of the broadcast teams. I suppose I would get tired of a given team If I had to hear them every game.

Only exception- Does Sean Elliot still do the Spurs games?! I can't stand him lol

Maybe it's his tone and delivery. Doesn't sound natural to me
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:24 am

Yeah, Elliott's still on the Spurs' broadcast team. He's pretty smug and biased in a way that isn't entertaining, so he's not one of my favourites either.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball