Ricky Rubio

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Ricky Rubio

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:39 am

Read this today: Sources: Timberwolves resisting trade overtures for Ricky Rubio

There is still time until the 2016 NBA draft’s fifth overall selection, Kris Dunn, takes over as the Minnesota Timberwolves’ point guard – which is why the franchise is still resisting trade overtures for Ricky Rubio, league sources told The Vertical.

The Sacramento Kings are the most determined of several teams expressing interest in finding a pathway to a Rubio deal, league sources said, but Minnesota president and coach Tom Thibodeau is reluctant to move Rubio – outside of bringing back a no-brainer package, of course – until Dunn’s progress illustrates this season that he’s ready to fully take over the team.

Thibodeau doesn’t anticipate Dunn becoming the starter until approximately 20 games into the regular season, league sources said.

Dunn has done nothing to diminish Minnesota’s belief that he’s the franchise’s point guard of the future, but the organization hasn’t wanted to rush him into the starting job. Rubio, 25, is well aware of the franchise’s plans with Dunn, but has been welcoming in his attitude toward mentoring and working with Dunn.

Unless he turns out to be a complete bust, it seems Dunn is their point guard of the future, so Rubio is either transitioning into a backup role or moving on at some point in the future. It got me thinking, though: how would you evaluate Rubio's NBA career to date?

I remember some people hyping him up as the next big sensation when he was drafted fifth overall in 2009, and his eventual debut being highly anticipated as he played out a couple of years before coming to the NBA. I also remember saying at the time that I thought he was either going be a tremendous success, or an extremely disappointing bust. At the time, it seemed like his NBA career was going to go towards one extreme or the other.

However, I'd have to say that if anything, he's been somewhere in the middle. I think it's fair to say he hasn't lived up to all of the hype, but he hasn't been a dismal failure, either. He hasn't developed into a reliable free throw shooter (except from the free throw line), but he's been good for around 10 points and 8 assists per game on his career, and also racks up a bunch of steals. He's also only 25, so it's still a bit too early to give up on him completely. I doubt he's ever going to be the superstar point guard that some predicted he would be, but I'd say at the very least he'll remain a solid player and capable starter, especially if he can ever raise those shooting percentages.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Ricky Rubio

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:25 am

Andrew wrote:Read this today: Sources: Timberwolves resisting trade overtures for Ricky Rubio

There is still time until the 2016 NBA draft’s fifth overall selection, Kris Dunn, takes over as the Minnesota Timberwolves’ point guard – which is why the franchise is still resisting trade overtures for Ricky Rubio, league sources told The Vertical.

The Sacramento Kings are the most determined of several teams expressing interest in finding a pathway to a Rubio deal, league sources said, but Minnesota president and coach Tom Thibodeau is reluctant to move Rubio – outside of bringing back a no-brainer package, of course – until Dunn’s progress illustrates this season that he’s ready to fully take over the team.

Thibodeau doesn’t anticipate Dunn becoming the starter until approximately 20 games into the regular season, league sources said.

Dunn has done nothing to diminish Minnesota’s belief that he’s the franchise’s point guard of the future, but the organization hasn’t wanted to rush him into the starting job. Rubio, 25, is well aware of the franchise’s plans with Dunn, but has been welcoming in his attitude toward mentoring and working with Dunn.

Unless he turns out to be a complete bust, it seems Dunn is their point guard of the future, so Rubio is either transitioning into a backup role or moving on at some point in the future. It got me thinking, though: how would you evaluate Rubio's NBA career to date?

I remember some people hyping him up as the next big sensation when he was drafted fifth overall in 2009, and his eventual debut being highly anticipated as he played out a couple of years before coming to the NBA. I also remember saying at the time that I thought he was either going be a tremendous success, or an extremely disappointing bust. At the time, it seemed like his NBA career was going to go towards one extreme or the other.

However, I'd have to say that if anything, he's been somewhere in the middle. I think it's fair to say he hasn't lived up to all of the hype, but he hasn't been a dismal failure, either. He hasn't developed into a reliable free throw shooter (except from the free throw line), but he's been good for around 10 points and 8 assists per game on his career, and also racks up a bunch of steals. He's also only 25, so it's still a bit too early to give up on him completely. I doubt he's ever going to be the superstar point guard that some predicted he would be, but I'd say at the very least he'll remain a solid player and capable starter, especially if he can ever raise those shooting percentages.

This is just my opinion.

Rubio is only 25.... he is so young still. One thing that I've noticed happening to players as they get a bit older is the game slowing down for them, and outside shooting shows improvement. I think both of those traits are the biggest Rubio gripes.

Sometimes it seems he's moving or dribbling without a purpose. I think we may see the best of Rubio if he gets a chance to start over with a new team, because I don't think he will want to backup Dunn. I think it makes sense for MIN to move him for something decent in return, but I hope for the best for Rubio. He has displayed a professional attitude since entering the league.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:00 am

Definitely agree about his attitude. This also comes to mind:

phpBB [video]

Perhaps a fresh start will go a long way for him. I still have my doubts that he's going to become the superstar some people hyped him up to be, but I can see him remaining a solid and relevant player, and perhaps becoming more dependable with his jumpshot.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:28 am

It's just tough for point guard with no range to be effective in today's spacing preferred league. Kinda why I think the Bulls would have been better off with Lin than Rondo. Hoping Im proved wrong tho. Perhaps Wade equipped with 3pt range will come in handy big time.

That said, Rubio seems to be a great kid. Hoping he will go to a winning team and help out as a major piece. The Wolves are fully committed to rebuilding and there is no place for him. Not that surprised Dunn is prioritized.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby air gordon on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:42 pm

Bust
Easily take Schroeder, collision, and even Lin over him
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:06 pm

I don't think he was really given a fair shot from the beginning, drafted with another point guard. He was super young and still learning. They haven't had much talent on the team and have lost a lot and they keep bringing more PGs and even had Lavine playing PG as well. Ricky seems to have improved his shot a bit so hopefully he'll be able to show that off on another team.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby iamSamke on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:33 pm

He should retyrn in Europe, where it all started. He played amazing basketball here in 2010 and 2011.
iamSamke

Postby big-shot-ROB on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:55 am

Boy played in the best european league at the age of 16. For us, spanish, Ricky has been around for 10 years, it's like he was a vet in the NBA.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby air gordon on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:00 am

rubio's career 3pt % is .318
he hasn't bettered his rookie .340 %
his career 2pt % is .384%

Mitchell may have been a bad coach but it wasn't all on him why Rubio can't shoot

there will always be excuses for Rubio i suppose
Jump.
Scott Skiles answer to the question on how Eddy Curry can become a better rebounder
air gordon

Postby Murat on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:12 am

rubio arrived at the league as a weak shooter and a great passer,

he lacked shooting at europe too
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby big-shot-ROB on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Rubio has had so many pressure during his career. He debuted in the Spanish league when he was 14. Yeah, 14. Imagine the pressure to perform. When he decided to go to the NBA, he had already been playing here for 5-6 years. He's always been called prodigy, mr. awesome and things like this, and the NBA has surely not help him in his growth as a team player.

During this summer's Olympic Games, nearly 75% of spanish team supporters preferred Calderon or el "Chacho" (playing for the sixers now) over Rubio at the PG spot.
big-shot-ROB

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:06 pm

How is it the NBA's fault that he can't shoot?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:25 pm

Andrew wrote:How is it the NBA's fault that he can't shoot?

I recently attended a speech where he explained during his 2-3 years in the NBA the Timberwolves wanted only to develop his playmaking and flashy passes repertory. During trainings team coaches would train different groups of players in different abilities. Despite him asking, he was never allowed to practice the shooting drills.

I will add though he is not a high-worker player, and with some more determination he could have improved his shooting during summers.
big-shot-ROB

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:38 pm

That's strange, and obviously indicative of a problem with the way the Timberwolves have been coached in the past. Like you said though, it's something he could work on himself, seeking out shooting coaches and putting in the work himself.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball