Amar'e Stoudemire Retires as a Knick

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Amar'e Stoudemire Retires as a Knick

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:10 am

Amar'e Stoudemire retires from the NBA after 14 seasons

Amar’e Stoudemire, a six-time All-Star, five-time All-NBA selection and Rookie of the Year whose pick-and-roll finishing and rim-rocking dunks made him one of the game’s most electric offensive forces for a number of years, announced his retirement from the NBA on Tuesday after 14 pro seasons.

A free agent after spending last season with the Miami Heat, the 33-year-old power forward/center signed a ceremonial one-day contract with the New York Knicks — the team he joined in 2010 on a five-year, $100 million deal, pledging to lead New York back to NBA prominence before injuries, inconsistency and internal intrigue scuttled those grand plans — so he could announce the end of his NBA playing days.

He was a pretty exciting player to watch during his Suns days. I remember a lot of people saying he was done after that first knee surgery, so it was good to see him come back and actually have a few more All-Star seasons, especially after we'd seen other young stars have their careers derailed by injuries in the not-too-distant past. The play that I always remember is this one, I think in large part due to Stephon Marbury's reaction.

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Amar'e Stoudemire Retires as a Knick

Postby mp3 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:29 pm

I know Amare was done when he left the knicks but I have to take my hat off to the guy for back in 2010 when he was still a star he came straight out and said he wanted to be a knick when big name would give us the time of day and he kind of made NY a place that players wanted to come and play for again.

Thanks for the memories Amare you tried!
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby stereoxide on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:03 pm

The dude was an offensive juggernaut. Dunking on everybody and he had a solid midrange to boot. If only the Suns management didn't become to cheap to sell picks I think those Phoenix Suns team can be a dynasty. Wish he would've retired as a Sun but he really loved New York sadly injuries caught up with him. Stoudemire's pre-Melo Knicks team were fun to watch especially his pic and roll partnership with Felton.
stereoxide

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 pm

The Suns also had a decent shot at the Finals in 2010. If not for the bounce of a couple of balls, they could've potentially knocked off the Lakers, and would've probably at least had a respectable chance against the Celtics.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby PeacemanNOT on Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:48 am

Fuck injuries.... he could of gone down as one of the best PFs of all time.

I never really watched the NBA when he was a dominant player but I do remember him being a beast in NBA 2K11.

Hard to say if he's HOF or not... he does have a 72% chance of a nomination in his HOF probability:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... _prob.html

Then again I don't know how much that is taken into consideration when the nominations are actually decided.
Last edited by PeacemanNOT on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby mp3 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:20 am

He may get to the HOF but he's no one's first, second or third choice for maybe the next 10-15 years.
mp3

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:09 am

He must be still salty about them not wanting to give him a max deal after both of his knees and his retina were injured because he didn't really do much in NY

On another note, damn I am getting old when guys I remember getting drafted in the 2000s are starting to retire
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

I don't know about Amar'e being a first ballot Hall of Famer, but I could see him at least getting consideration when the time comes. He had some good numbers in his prime, was on several teams that had a good run even if they fell short of the ultimate goal, and he's a high school to the pros success story.

[Q] wrote:On another note, damn I am getting old when guys I remember getting drafted in the 2000s are starting to retire

This is what your 30s feel like, for those of us born in the early to mid 80s. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Stress Fracture on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Andrew wrote:The Suns also had a decent shot at the Finals in 2010. If not for the bounce of a couple of balls, they could've potentially knocked off the Lakers, and would've probably at least had a respectable chance against the Celtics.

Ron Artest was at the right place at the right time after that Kobe airball. Just damn lucky
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby mp3 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:08 pm

[Q] wrote:He must be still salty about them not wanting to give him a max deal after both of his knees and his retina were injured because he didn't really do much in NY

On another note, damn I am getting old when guys I remember getting drafted in the 2000s are starting to retire

Yeah I feel it when iam watching players I used to watch from the 90's kids playing in the league now.
mp3

Postby stereoxide on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:34 am

Andrew wrote:The Suns also had a decent shot at the Finals in 2010. If not for the bounce of a couple of balls, they could've potentially knocked off the Lakers, and would've probably at least had a respectable chance against the Celtics.

I was rooting for them to win it that season especially after they swept the Spurs. Then that Ron Artest game winner and that Kobe-lit Game 6 happened. :(
stereoxide

Postby PeacemanNOT on Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:33 am

It was also the last real chance for Nash to win a ring too.

Discount the Lakers Big 4 hype.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby benji on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Regarding feeling old, Amare was 20 when he came out of high school.

This always gets forgotten when people talk about him vs. the other high schoolers and how much more NBA-ready he was lol
benji

Postby Andrew on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:16 am

Looks like it's only a retirement from the NBA: Report: Stoudemire slated to play in Israel

Days after hanging up his rec-specs following a 15-year NBA career, Amar'e Stoudemire has scratched a basketball itch, reportedly agreeing to join Israeli side Hapoel Jerusalem.

Stoudemire, 33, is part of an ownership group that bought a 90 percent share of the team in 2013, and since then, the Ligat HaAl side has emerged as one of the league's better clubs.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:41 pm

He could be the new Marbury of the middle east!

Iam kind of glad that he's not totally hanging them up and has a chance to really raise the profile of basketball in Israel not that it needs it but it's still cool.
mp3

Postby iamSamke on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:29 am

Just to remind you, he signed for same team Nate Robinson signed few months ago. Pretty excited to see him playing in Europe.
Last edited by iamSamke on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
iamSamke

Postby mp3 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Is Nate even coming back?
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Sounds like football didn't pan out, and he's giving the NBA one more shot, last article I read.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:45 pm

mp3 wrote:I know Amare was done when he left the knicks but I have to take my hat off to the guy for back in 2010 when he was still a star he came straight out and said he wanted to be a knick when big name would give us the time of day and he kind of made NY a place that players wanted to come and play for again.

Thanks for the memories Amare you tried!

The cynic in me says he came here because the Knicks were the only team stupid enough to give him that ridiculous contract.
Jeffx

Postby mp3 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:55 am

Well yeah we were "stupid" enough as the Suns didn't want to respect him enough with offering the same type of deal but him coming to NY did put us back on the map enough to bring Melo and other quality players after that how wouldn't of given us the time of day, it make not of worked out but I respect him for coming here first tho.
mp3

Postby iamSamke on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:06 am

Andrew wrote:Sounds like football didn't pan out, and he's giving the NBA one more shot, last article I read.

Correct.
iamSamke

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:26 am

Amar'e was having an MVP-type season until Carmelo Anthony arrived. Injuries derailed his career for good after that first season, but when he did play, he was still pretty solid. Unfortunately, "solid" isn't quite good enough for the money he was being paid.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA & Basketball