End of an Era

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

End of an Era

Postby Jackal on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:32 am

I know we have the video thread but I felt this deserves its own topic. A lot of guys around here who still post were around when some of these guys were just starting out in the league and now about 15 or so years later a lot of them are transitioning out of the league.

Some have left, some are leaving. Some have transitioned, some are transitioning & some are just sad to watch. I just wanted to share how much I appreciate what these bunch of guys have provided me and others with; countless hours of entertainment.

phpBB [video]

Man, I fucking love the NBA.

Seems this will be a 12 part highlight reel.
Last edited by Jackal on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jackal

Re: End of an Era

Postby JaoSming on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:26 am

sooo good :applaud: ya beat me to posting it
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby NovU on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:51 am

I was all tingly inside watching this vid. Great, looks exciting can't wait for the next one.

Still can't stand Paul Pierce tho.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Sauru on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

ok now make 2 teams of 5 to play each other. balance it best you can. who gets left out?
Sauru

Postby Jackal on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:07 pm

C - Duncan vs Garnett
F - Dirk vs T-Mac
F - Pierce vs Carter
G - AI vs Bryant
G - Kidd vs Nash

I'd rather a mix about Kidd than Ray Allen, but that's just because I don't like Ray Allen. Basically Allen & Ginobili get left off, those other guys are tier 1 imo.

Imagine Carter & T-Mac stayed together, Duncan went to Orlando or the handshake deal of Garnett to LA went through. Oh what an era.
Jackal

Postby Stress Fracture on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:12 am

What is that Garnett to LA scenario? Care to tell about it?
benji wrote:LeBron is such a choker. And people were talking about him as an all-time great. As having possibly surpassed Kobe. What a joke.

velvet bliss wrote:Andrew, you the real MVP.

Andrew wrote:He who flops and flails to the Finals and a title, flops and flails best.
Stress Fracture

Postby Jackal on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:21 am

Source 01
Source 02
Source 03

Basically had a handshake deal between owners (Taylor & the late Dr. Buss) but Taylor was hesitant to trade Garnett to a western conference rival and McHale and Ainge were butt-buddies from their Boston days.

Odom & Bynum to the Wolves for KG. Memphis never gets Marc Gasol and LA never gets Pau but stays with Marc Gasol/KG.
Jackal

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:34 am

That's awesome, definitely worth spinning off from the catch-all video thread. Stuff like this should be in its own thread. (Y)

For me, it's the second "End of an Era" transition period in the NBA that I've experienced as a fan. Well, I was around as Bird and Magic were concluding their careers, but there was overlap with the stars who came along from around the mid 80s onwards, and I didn't become a diehard fan until around 1995, 1996, so its the second one that I'm fully aware of, and truly appreciate the magnitude of as it's happening. This era's lasted a little longer as we're seeing more big names stick around for about 20 years, but it's spanned significant periods of change and distinct mini eras (for lack of a better term) along the way.

For me personally, it spans high school, my entire 20s, and now into my early 30s. They're sort of in the latter stages of the "players I grew up with" category, while also being the players who were the big names when I was entering adulthood and becoming a 20-something. They're the players I remember seeing come into the league, and become stars. While I obviously have a great deal of admiration for the players of the Jordan/Magic/Bird era, they were established (or in some cases, on the verge of retirement or already retired) when I really got into basketball and the NBA. This is the first era I've seen from start to finish, and it's been a great era in its own right.

It'll be fun to check out these retrospectives as they're posted. Some definite all-time greats in this era.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Jackal on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:09 pm

phpBB [video]

This gon' be good.
Jackal

Postby Kevin on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 pm

Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Retroswald13 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:05 am

Cool concept! Yet, man, time flies so fast.
Retroswald13
Oswald. Legend Mods Creator. 256 Project Starter. Real Cheerleaders. Kawaii Leonard.

Return to NBA & Basketball