2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

What's gonna happen?

Celtics in 4
No votes
Celtics in 5
No votes
Celtics in 6
7%
Celtics in 7
20%
Cavaliers in 4
20%
Cavaliers in 5
7%
Cavaliers in 6
27%
Cavaliers in 7
7%
To fill the week-long gap between the conference finals and NBA Finals, Boston and Houston play a series for third place
No votes
Isaiah Thomas on LeBron's title chances: "I don't know who the fuck that is."
13%

Total votes : 15

Re: 2018 PLAYOFFS: (2) Boston vs. (4) Cleveland

Postby Jackie Kong on Mon May 28, 2018 11:03 am

Loving Tatum so far. Doesn't look like a rookie at all out there.
Jackie Kong

Postby Andrew on Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 am

He's going to be a great player. Makes you wonder what'll happen with Hayward moving forward.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Mon May 28, 2018 11:08 am

Sauru wrote:
NovU wrote:What is rather ridiculous is a lot of nostalgia making MJ virtually god like status. They would get personally offended by just having MJ being mentioned along in current era player discussion as if someone insulted their moms. Objectivity is non existent to them. Jordan is a religion.

this will happen with anyone who is a fanboy of a player. imo jordan becomes untouchable simply because the rules of the game make it easier for players today. when people measure greatness they measure offensive numbers. well in todays game offensive number are much easier to get. cant even look at a player without sending him to the line. jordan played when the rules made scoring harder and he is still the top scorer in the history of the game (not total points of course). same logic goes into why no one will ever touch kareem in the ncaa. they literally changed the rules to make life harder for him and he still shit on everyone.

of course there is a flip side to this. jordan and pippen are remembered a lot for their defense and people use it a lot as the deciding factor but they were given the benefit of the hand check, you telling me kobe or lebron would not be better defensively (maybe nor jordan/pippen level but still much better) if they could push people around the court?

It's not as if the past rules did not favor Michael Jordan. It's just an excuse, you sauru in deep heart realize this. Superstars back then had a lot of favoritism going on as well, especially Jordan(he was an icon of favoritism). But as a starting point, you and I probably realize Jordan religion is stupid as much as any extreme fanboism of particular player like Kobe or LBJ.

It's also funny how fully grown up adults constantly get into arguments who is really better in hypothetical cross era discussion as if it's a matter of life and death. Jordan simply accomplished more. LBJ is the closest thing to the Jordan and rightfully so these two guys deserve to be considered tier above rest of the league(unless your name is Wilt or Bill but that is completely different discussion/era). But that's not to say Michael >>> LeBron entirely. There are some aspects that LBJ was better and has accomplished more. This is not me speaking driven by emotions or with "I know more than you" 9 year old attitude like some idiots out there. But it's an assessment of most analytics that I come to agree to.

Verdict is that who the fuck really cares. Jordan could or can't, LBJ could or can't. At the end of the day it's something that can never happen in this universe. This is why you look at only the facts and avoid discussion with bunch of "OH OH I KNOW" people with only idiotic things to say.

Most old forum guys including you already know I am not even a LBJ fan. I dumped that bitch when he left Wade, remember? More so than me being in defense of LBJ, it's usually me being protective of analytics. We all have something to believe in, some idiots invest only in emotions, some in experience and wisdom, some in math. I will say this much that I don't believe you fall into first or third category. Now let's go back to shit talking that's more fun.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Dee4Three on Mon May 28, 2018 11:13 am

Your words give me headaches.

And yes Jackie Kong, Tatum has shown so much maturity all season/playoffs long. He's wise beyond his years.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Mon May 28, 2018 11:14 am

Jackie Kong wrote:Loving Tatum so far. Doesn't look like a rookie at all out there.

I been saying he's the real deal and Donovan Mitchell was not even close for the season.

His experience against LeGoat will be valuable going forward. Hope he leaves the Celtics tho and join the real team.

Dee4Three wrote:Your words give me headaches.

Stay on topic and stop provoking unless you'd like to be called an idiot again. Thanks, bye.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Mon May 28, 2018 11:18 am

NovU wrote:
Jackie Kong wrote:Loving Tatum so far. Doesn't look like a rookie at all out there.

I been saying he's the real deal and Donovan Mitchell was not even close for the season.

His experience against LeGoat will be valuable going forward. Hope he leaves the Celtics tho and join the real team.

Dee4Three wrote:Your words give me headaches.

Stay on topic and stop provoking unless you'd like to be called an idiot again. Thanks, bye.

You calling me an idiot is actually a compliment, I'm really glad you don't agree with me. Trust me.

I also find it quite entertaining when you respond to me when you don't really want to. It's a great feeling every time.

But yes, let's stay on topic. Nice job so far by the Cs.

Go Celtics.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Mon May 28, 2018 11:21 am

My message is simple. If you have nothing to add to the discussion, just stay off.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Andrew on Mon May 28, 2018 11:22 am

If you like three-point shooting, this isn't the game for you.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon May 28, 2018 11:23 am

Andrew wrote:If you like three-point shooting, this isn't the game for you.

That's fine. I said before that if it turned into a 3 point shootout, I felt the Celtics might lose.

Pretty pumped about the pace. LeBron with 0 assists up to this point, cool. Hopefully everybody stays out of rhythm.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon May 28, 2018 11:27 am

The problem is that they're still taking them. It's evening out with both teams missing, though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon May 28, 2018 11:29 am

Andrew wrote:The problem is that they're still taking them. It's evening out with both teams missing, though.

It's an ugly brand of basketball, but the Celtics are getting it done in other ways.

Cleveland cutting it to 5 now... Celtics need a strong push yo end this half.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackie Kong on Mon May 28, 2018 11:32 am

Smart in full "Josh Smith" mode,..
Last edited by Jackie Kong on Mon May 28, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Kong

Postby Andrew on Mon May 28, 2018 11:33 am

Cavs are right back in it. Celtics need to force a few more turnovers for some transition buckets, get that momentum back, if they want to remain in control.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon May 28, 2018 11:39 am

Definitely ugly right now. Celtics are shooting themselves out of the game.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 am

NovU wrote:
Sauru wrote:
NovU wrote:What is rather ridiculous is a lot of nostalgia making MJ virtually god like status. They would get personally offended by just having MJ being mentioned along in current era player discussion as if someone insulted their moms. Objectivity is non existent to them. Jordan is a religion.

this will happen with anyone who is a fanboy of a player. imo jordan becomes untouchable simply because the rules of the game make it easier for players today. when people measure greatness they measure offensive numbers. well in todays game offensive number are much easier to get. cant even look at a player without sending him to the line. jordan played when the rules made scoring harder and he is still the top scorer in the history of the game (not total points of course). same logic goes into why no one will ever touch kareem in the ncaa. they literally changed the rules to make life harder for him and he still shit on everyone.

of course there is a flip side to this. jordan and pippen are remembered a lot for their defense and people use it a lot as the deciding factor but they were given the benefit of the hand check, you telling me kobe or lebron would not be better defensively (maybe nor jordan/pippen level but still much better) if they could push people around the court?

It's not as if the past rules did not favor Michael Jordan. It's just an excuse, you sauru in deep heart realize this. Superstars back then had a lot of favoritism going on as well, especially Jordan(he was an icon of favoritism). But as a starting point, you and I probably realize Jordan religion is stupid as much as any extreme fanboism of particular player like Kobe or LBJ.

It's also funny how fully grown up adults constantly get into arguments who is really better in hypothetical cross era discussion as if it's a matter of life and death. Jordan simply accomplished more. LBJ is the closest thing to the Jordan and rightfully so these two guys deserve to be considered tier above rest of the league(unless your name is Wilt or Bill but that is completely different discussion/era). But that's not to say Michael >>> LeBron entirely. There are some aspects that LBJ was better and has accomplished more. This is not me speaking driven by emotions or with "I know more than you" 9 year old attitude like some idiots out there. But it's an assessment of most analytics that I come to agree to.

Verdict is that who the fuck really cares. Jordan could or can't, LBJ could or can't. At the end of the day it's something that can never happen in this universe. This is why you look at only the facts and avoid discussion with bunch of "OH OH I KNOW" people with only idiotic things to say.

Most old forum guys including you already know I am not even a LBJ fan. I dumped that bitch when he left Wade, remember? More so than me being in defense of LBJ, it's usually me being protective of analytics. We all have something to believe in, some idiots invest only in emotions, some in experience and wisdom, some in math. I will say this much that I don't believe you fall into first or third category. Now let's go back to shit talking that's more fun.

i am just saying rules make all the difference when comparing players. honestly its why the best discussion is pointless. you can can a player from today would destroy the nba if they played in the 60's but if you were to drop any player today into a game back then they would get called for traveling every play. jordan had to face harder defense because of the rules but those rules allowed jordan to be better defensively. if curry played in the 80's he would be a specialty shooter off the bench and nothing more. yeah i said it

i also think people should spend more time enjoying great players instead of debating them. kobe may have played for the lakers but i loved watching him play the game
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Mon May 28, 2018 11:41 am

Andrew wrote:Cavs are right back in it. Celtics need to force a few more turnovers for some transition buckets, get that momentum back, if they want to remain in control.

Dissapointed being up by only 4. We should have capitalized a bit more on offense, considering we held the Cavs to 39 points. LeBron had 5 turnovers in the first half, hopefully that trend stays for the rest of the game.

Overall still cool with the pace... but the Celtics should be up by 10+ right now.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sauru on Mon May 28, 2018 11:43 am

thank god we have horford
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon May 28, 2018 11:43 am

Brown's missed some really good looks. He needs to knock those down if they're still there for him in the second half.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby NovU on Mon May 28, 2018 11:46 am

Smart defensively is playing smart.

Before he came into the league, I was hoping he'd someday become Wade v2.0. Well... that's obviously not gonna happen.
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

Postby Dee4Three on Mon May 28, 2018 11:47 am

Both teams combined for 6-36 on threes in the first half.

Christ, pretty sure Andrew and myself could hit a few more, that's ugly. Didnt realize that they took that many.

Smarts flopping pisses me off even when he gets the calls, that's how ridiculous it is sometimes. He is a good defender though, and hes playing good defense tonight.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon May 28, 2018 11:48 am

Smart's kept the ill-advised attempts to a minimum so far. The better shooters just need to step up. Cavs are doing the right thing in getting to the basket and moving the ball for a couple of open looks.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Mon May 28, 2018 11:50 am

this game is gonna give me another damn heart attack
Sauru

Postby Andrew on Mon May 28, 2018 11:54 am

Terrible foul to start the third quarter. You can't give up three freebies like that, especially with Smith not shooting well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon May 28, 2018 11:54 am

Celtics with only 1 turnover at the half. LeBron with 5.

I doubt the Celtics play that clean in the second half. That means more shots need to go in. Jaylen Brown took 8 threes in the first half, but missed 3 great looks during that Cleveland run. Hopefully shots start falling.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby NovU on Mon May 28, 2018 11:57 am

It feels like whenever Brown takes a shot, it would go in. Give that kid open looks.

Celtics are the most versatile defensive team in the league proven by top defense rating in the league. LBJ somehow has been putting up monstrous numbers against them in wins. Seems like it's entirely up to him once again against the league's top defense this season(not counting Gobert-on UTH).
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU

PreviousNext

Return to NBA & Basketball