2017-18 Daily Discussion

Like real basketball, as well as basketball video games? Talk about the NBA, NCAA, and other professional and amateur basketball leagues here.

Re: 2017-18 Daily Discussion

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Livingston initiated the head tap, ref could have thought of it as a deliberate headbutt.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby air gordon on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 pm

NLSC favorite Dwight broke Len's ankles yesterday. Wow
During opening introductions, Jordan Bell made curious gestures with his hands, which he admitted after the game were meant to symbolize rubbing money together. "I wanted to see how cash considerations was doing over there," Bell said.
air gordon

Postby volsey on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:25 am

Can somebody explain the Jahil Okafor situation for me? I feel like the 76ers really shot themselves in the foot, and dropped his value tremendously with the way he was dealt.

I really feel like Brooklyn got a steal.
volsey

Postby Lamrock on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:42 am

Okafor is a poor fit on the team because he doesn't shoot, defend or rebound well. With Embiid emerging as a star, and Richaun Holmes passing Okafor on the depth chart, there was no reason to keep him on the team. While Okafor has seemingly been a good sport about the whole thing (unlike another young Center the Sixers had to give away) and shown that he can at least put up points, his skillset is not valued in today's NBA.

While it's gotta burn knowing that they could have had Porzingis or Devin Booker, in a vacuum it's a solid deal for the Sixers. They give up a 2019 2nd, and two fringe NBA players for a serviceable backup big in Trevor Booker, and also move on from that off-court distraction.

Jahlil Okafor is still young, and could develop into a serviceable role player. But he'll have to really put in the work because he's currently unplayable against most lineups.
Lamrock

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:55 am

It's a situation that they could have perhaps handled better, but Okafor had become the odd man out. Good to see that he'll get a fresh start.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Postby shadowgrin on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 pm

volsey wrote:Can somebody explain the Jahil Okafor situation for me? I feel like the 76ers really shot themselves in the foot, and dropped his value tremendously with the way he was dealt.

I really feel like Brooklyn got a steal.

Think Greg Monroe with worse defense, that's Okafor.

Noel was a better fit and did more for the Sixers than Okafor ever did but Noel wanted a max contract with his current skillset so he had to go.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby air gordon on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:20 am

Ha does okafor have a fit on any team from the way lamrock shit on him?

Stupid Duke program and their crappy coaching

Yeah why not for the nets. Bookers not in the future plans. I'd like to see Allen get more minutes too but worth a flier on the once highly regarded prospect
During opening introductions, Jordan Bell made curious gestures with his hands, which he admitted after the game were meant to symbolize rubbing money together. "I wanted to see how cash considerations was doing over there," Bell said.
air gordon

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:58 am

Didn't okafor lead the team in scoring? I remember him playing well back then
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Jackal on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:18 am

From what I've understood through podcasts and few articles out of the Sixers it's just that he doesn't try. He is slow, doesn't shoot threes and is a liability on defense. The NBA basically wants stretch bigs or defensive ones. Okafor is neither.

I hope he does well in Brooklyn, I was on the koolaid that year going off scouting reports. Learned my lesson. Who would've thought Okafor and D'Lo would be on the same team...in Brooklyn.
Jackal

Postby air gordon on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:49 am

[Q] wrote:Didn't okafor lead the team in scoring? I remember him playing well back then

Was one of the few rookies in league history to average 17 & 9
air gordon

Postby shadowgrin on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:48 am

[Q] wrote:Didn't okafor lead the team in scoring? I remember him playing well back then

Mike James (the retired black one, not the current white one) once led the Raptors in scoring, was still a shit player.

Okafor isn't that shit but something's up when Noel with his limited offense has double the win shares Okafor had for the Sixers.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby [Q] on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:22 am

[Q] wrote:I think rockets have put themselves ahead of the warriors with the cp3 trade.

1St in west, 9-0 with cp3 in the lineup
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:56 am

Meanwhile, Spurs are 17-8 without Kawhi. Quietly achieving, as per usual.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby NovU on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:29 am

Jahlil seems to have not yet figured out how to play the modern era ball. Defenders know what he exactly is going to do which is drive to the basket/bodying up. That neutralizes otherwise great post move skillset of his. Embiid on the other hand is much harder to predict and is better at everything else. Jahlil perhaps in different era could have been a better player but he just doesn't seem to be a good fit for fast paced today's games. You don't want wasting 10 seconds of shot clock to get him the ball in the paint only to watch him palming the ball against well prepared defense.

Really surprising to see the 76ers being in the playoffs picture and still looking up so far in the season. Embiid and Simmons, real deals? Can't wait to see them in their prime, wonder if 76ers could build a superteam like Rockets and Cavs of today with that duo.

CP3 should have left the Clippers sooner. Now finally at age of 32, he is part of a real good team whereas in LA he was the lone force that had to do everything to make the team good. Blake Griffin also never seems to be healthy. Not that he could have the Clippers this season but it's kinda big let down each and every season only to see him missing significant time with injuries.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby deihatein on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:16 am

shadowgrin wrote:Noel wanted a max contract with his current skillset so he had to go.

And now can't get playing time on a supposedly "tanking" Mavericks team starting a 50 year old Dirk at Center :lol:
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Yo Rockets finally gonna be the team that challenges Warriors in the West? CP3 Harden combo god level. And no way Harden missing the MVP this year
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Rockets gonna stink it up in the playoffs like all D'Antoni teams.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Jackal on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 am

shadowgrin wrote:Rockets gonna stink it up in the playoffs like all D'Antoni teams.

Fully agree with this. They will be a good team in-season but don't stand a chance against the Warriors. Agree with Chuck in that aspect, Steph/Klay > Paul/Harden and then you add bitch-ass KD & Donkey? They aren't winning in a 7 game series.

Also OKC stinking it up bad. They have 0 movement on the offensive side of the floor. It's basically take your turn iso-ball. Westbrook needs a more established/assertive coach who won't take his shit. Not many of those out there though.
Jackal

Postby Axel. on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 am

shadowgrin wrote:Rockets gonna stink it up in the playoffs like all D'Antoni teams.

As much as this hurts to read it is absolutely true. Couldn't even make it to the Warriors meeting last year. This is why I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic, at best.
Axel.
Jermaine Avocado Toast

Postby air gordon on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:56 am

if the playoffs started today, what team stands a chance against the Warriors in the West? it's the Rockets. still only 30 games in anyway. Cavs were stinking it up early too
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:53 am

A healthy Spurs team might have a shot.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 am

Agreed. I think a healthy Spurs team can compete with the Warriors.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Lamrock on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:44 am

Not if Zaza has anything to say about it
Lamrock

Postby air gordon on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:30 pm

May as well add OKC since we're saying "might". They might put it together by the playoffs. If Roberson can stay hot in a series they're a tough team to beat
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:27 pm

I'd say they're more of a long shot compared to the Rockets or Spurs, the latter of whom have had a pretty strong start even without Kawhi.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby deihatein on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:37 am

Spurs couldn't even beat the Mavericks with Kawhi today. Blow it up.

On a serious note, JJ Barea is having a career year for whatever reason.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby air gordon on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:22 am

Andrew wrote:I'd say they're more of a long shot compared to the Rockets or Spurs, the latter of whom have had a pretty strong start even without Kawhi.

spurs though are almost thibs like coached team where they have regular season success but are handicapped in playoffs as they can't bring their game up even further, even with hall of fame coach and "great" system.

kawaii was in full robot mode vs the grizz and still that was a close series. and then there's the gasol & aldridge frontcourt which are terrible in space on defense. maybe Pop has something up his sleeve for the playoffs but really it's no sure thing the spurs are a mega power come playoff time
air gordon

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:36 am

They still made it to the Western Conference Finals last year. Things might've been a little different, if not for Zaza.

Meanwhile, Paul George is getting booed in his return to Indiana; seems a little much, given the years he gave them, and what he came back from. I guess he is the opposition now, and did indicate that he intended to leave one way or another, but I'd have expected a slightly warmer reception.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Tough night for George shooting the ball, but he gets the win in his return to Indiana. The boos lost some steam towards the end there, too.

Speaking of returns and reunions: Many happy — and sometimes unhappy — returns of NBA stars

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:45 pm

OKC has time to figure it out if they actually want to and if they do they can be dangerous to anyone. being said i dont think they will figure it out as they all seem to be at odds with each other already. of course winning cures all wounds but i dont see it happening
Sauru

Postby shadowgrin on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Seeing Sam Presti fuck things up is always a beautiful sight.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Sauru wrote:OKC has time to figure it out if they actually want to and if they do they can be dangerous to anyone. being said i dont think they will figure it out as they all seem to be at odds with each other already. of course winning cures all wounds but i dont see it happening

Yeah, despite the victory over the Pacers, they looked really sloppy and ill-fitting. It may be trite to say that they didn't so much beat the Pacers as survive them, or that the Pacers lost the game more than the Thunder won it, but I feel the sentiment is accurate nevertheless.

I can't fault the Thunder for rolling the dice on trading for PG13 and Melo. It's all about stacking your team as much as possible right now, and George and Westbrook are in their prime. Melo is past his, but he's still more than serviceable. Unfortunately, all three are players who need the ball in their hands, and I'm not sure Billy Donovan is the guy to figure out how to make it work on the court, or manage their egos and personalities. They took a chance that most teams probably would under the same circumstances, but that's a lineup that works a lot better in video games than real life.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:07 am

Andrew wrote:
Sauru wrote:OKC has time to figure it out if they actually want to and if they do they can be dangerous to anyone. being said i dont think they will figure it out as they all seem to be at odds with each other already. of course winning cures all wounds but i dont see it happening

Yeah, despite the victory over the Pacers, they looked really sloppy and ill-fitting. It may be trite to say that they didn't so much beat the Pacers as survive them, or that the Pacers lost the game more than the Thunder won it, but I feel the sentiment is accurate nevertheless.

I can't fault the Thunder for rolling the dice on trading for PG13 and Melo. It's all about stacking your team as much as possible right now, and George and Westbrook are in their prime. Melo is past his, but he's still more than serviceable. Unfortunately, all three are players who need the ball in their hands, and I'm not sure Billy Donovan is the guy to figure out how to make it work on the court, or manage their egos and personalities. They took a chance that most teams probably would under the same circumstances, but that's a lineup that works a lot better in video games than real life.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/12/12 ... lo-anthony
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:56 am

Yeah, it doesn't sound like Melo's at all open to playing off the bench. Obviously it's a point of pride for him, but it limits their options for trying to make it work.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:16 am

Andrew wrote:Yeah, it doesn't sound like Melo's at all open to playing off the bench. Obviously it's a point of pride for him, but it limits their options for trying to make it work.

Being a 6th man would actually let him do what he does best....score at will. But it will never happen.

Carmelo is an overrated "superstar". It would bother me if Knick fans gave him a standing 'O' tomorrow night.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:54 am

I guess he isn't as about winning as he professes.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby air gordon on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:02 pm

impressive they beat the pacers really. poor shooting and a nice stretch of the pacers picking on Anthony on the pick and roll game.

having that trump card of putting George on big time perimeter scorers like 'dipo will be huge in the playoffs.

if he gets back to being healthy-patterson would be a nice fit with the starters
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:27 pm

I don't see Lebron really leaving Cleveland next year, but if he did the Rockets would make so much sense.
Jackal

Postby Jeffx on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:27 am

Andrew wrote:I guess he isn't as about winning as he professes.

I've always felt that way about him. To me, Carmelo's more about his "brand" than doing what it takes to win.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 am

Everyone has their ego and pride, I suppose. I remember even Toni Kukoc quipped about preferring to start when he won the Sixth Man award some 20 years ago.

I'm sure Melo doesn't like losing and would prefer to win, but he obviously can't see the wisdom and benefit in sacrificing for the team. It's strange, because he seems to have been able to do so while playing for Team USA, at least to some extent.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby SoF'nAwesome on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Why doesn't anyone talk about Westbrook? He is the biggest problem.

PG13 & LeBron to Lakers next year
SoF'nAwesome
MVP

Postby air gordon on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:21 am

crazy OT game for PHI & OKC. i suppose the pitch forks/Carmelo lynch mob can rest for now

Jeffx wrote:I've always felt that way about him. To me, Carmelo's more about his "brand" than doing what it takes to win.

sounds like Kyrie Irving
air gordon

Postby Jackal on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:03 am

Watching the Pistons and Magic is brutal. There is 0 defense. Basically just dribbling drills to allow a basket.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like Eastern conferences basketball.

I'd rather watch Spurs/Warriors but even Pelicans/Kings over teams in the East besides Boston or Cleveland I guess.
Jackal

Previous

Return to NBA & Basketball