Brien i have a big problem in FshEd

All issues regarding FshEd and the EA Graphics Editor. This section has been locked as support for EAGE and FshEd has basically been discontinued.

Brien i have a big problem in FshEd

Postby BIG GREEN on Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:16 am

I clicked on "use global pal" when importing a number into a num fsh file. Now all numbers when imported have two diagonal lines running across them. Even when i try it with a whole new num file..i've tried restarting my pc...deleting fshed and replacing it..but no matter what i do..when i import a number it has 2 lines. Here's a pic of it...

Can you help me out?

Also A suggestion for FshEd :

Could you somehow make it import gif files also? I mean..i could make a number in photoshop with the transparencies ...and save it as a gif. It would then be cool if fshEd could import that gif file with the transparency already present. That would save days of time.
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Re: Brien i have a big problem in FshEd

Postby Brien on Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:26 pm

I clicked on "use global pal" when importing a number into a num fsh file. Now all numbers when imported have two diagonal lines running across them. Even when i try it with a whole new num file..i've tried restarting my pc...deleting fshed and replacing it..but no matter what i do..when i import a number it has 2 lines. Here's a pic of it...

Hmmm.... The file you are editing does not have a global palette. The toggle (global / local) will have no effect. The "use global palette" button has nothing to do with how data is imported or saved to the file. It is only an internal routine to FshEd that picks which palette will be used to display the image.

I tried importing a bmp with the button depressed (just to be safe). It worked fine.

Could you:

1. send me a copy of the number file (bmp) that you are trying to import (bsmith2@bsu.edu)
2. step by step (click by click) instructions on how to recreate the problem.

if I can recreate the same thing on my computer I can fix it.

Can you help me out?

Yes, I hope so. My hunch is that it has something to do with the external import file (bmp).

Also A suggestion for FshEd :

Could you somehow make it import gif files also? I mean..i could make a number in photoshop with the transparencies ...and save it as a gif. It would then be cool if fshEd could import that gif file with the transparency already present. That would save days of time.

I would be glad to add GIF support, if it is necessary. Some time ago I a posted a question to this forum concerning how patchers handled transparency. The typical answer was " 24 bit bmp with a separate 8 bit bmp transparecny mask". I then designed FshEd around this supposed common practice.

So, FshEd will automatically create 8 bit images with the correct transparency palette. All you need to supply is either

1. a 32 bit bitmap with transparency data
2. a 24 bit bitmap with a separate 8 bit bmp transparency mask.

FshEd with do all the converstions, and possibly do it with higher quality than the GIF. GIFs can only store one transparent color. Those numbers ideally need many levels of transparecy.
Brien
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Brien on Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:54 am

Yohance Bailey wrote:Can you help me out?

The bmps you are trying to import do not match the dimensions of the original fsh. :cry:

the original was 40 x 48 (both divisible by 4), your number 3 bitmap was 29 by 48. I am not sure how much it matters but 29 is not divisible by 4 (28 is) and that could make a difference as well. :wink:
Brien
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby DANet on Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:47 am

Having the option to import GIF's would be a bonus...but transparency masks are definitely the way to go...they are so much more powerful.

Awesome tool Brien...and your "tech support" is always helpful (and appreciated)...keep up the good work.
DANet

Return to FshEd & EA Graphics Editor