Jersey Names the blet.fsh in the jersey file.

All issues regarding FshEd and the EA Graphics Editor. This section has been locked as support for EAGE and FshEd has basically been discontinued.

Jersey Names the blet.fsh in the jersey file.

Postby LegoSHAQ on Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:01 am

I have been making some jerseys for 2003 and have everything working except for getting new lettering on the jersey to work. this is the blet part of the jersey file. I have tried importing using EAGRAPH 1.02b and using FSHTool... neither of these tools import the lettering correctly... that I can see. If anyone has gotten new lettering to work can you let me know what settings you used/image types etc.. I know the lettering was a pain for patching 2001 and you had to do it a certain way... so if one of you clever guys out there has figured it out for 2003 can you please let me know.

Brien if you have time can you please look into this area of EAGRAPH... it has something to do with it having a "Global Pallete" I think? anyway when you import the pic for the blet it imports all distorted... :(

Thanks
LegoSHAQ

Re: Jersey Names the blet.fsh in the jersey file.

Postby Brien on Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:38 pm

ĐrεamSPeaker wrote:
Brien if you have time can you please look into this area of EAGRAPH... it has something to do with it having a "Global Pallete" I think? anyway when you import the pic for the blet it imports all distorted... :(
Thanks

These numbers are 16 bit images, so there is no "Pallete" involved. These sub images are unique in that the image bit information is LZ compressed (usually the whole image will be compressed, not just parts of it). In the next day or so, I will take a look and see how EAGE is attempting to import to these files.

Thanks for the report.
Brien
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby nba2kstuff on Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:37 pm

hello Brien!

i hope your holidays have went well!

but i have also been investigating these issues as well with regards to jersey lettering and transparencies. my analysis has also revealed certain bmp type ids (such as those used in blet) employ a multiscale 16 bit with multi-scale apha channel transparency mask. as Brien has described, the complete contiguous byte padded image is compressed as opposed to each individual object. this leads to additional complications as lengths are more complex to determine within a compressed stream.

but i have put together an example prototype graphic patch, DT8889 retro example patch, that illustrates the succesful construction of this form of graphics sub-object.

here is the example snap:

i have decided to post the first release of this patch at nbalive.org to commemorate its re-opening. please visit them there for now. i will post for Andrew at Nlsc tomorrow this and additional materials for anyone interested, as well as some other updates and fixes.

thanks again Brien for your superlative works with EAGraph! once i get settled in a little more i may have some additional suggestions and issues we can work on regarding some of the new ea formats and file systems!

peace Brien and best wishes for you this new year!
dondaily

and see you at nbalive.org David!
Last edited by nba2kstuff on Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
nba2kstuff

Postby LegoSHAQ on Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:39 am

ohh... I just saw this post... thanks for the reply guys... :) If you need any further information or any testing let me know but it sounds like you are on top of the issue.... :D

Don is going to nbalive.org... Oh yeah!!! See you there ... ;)
LegoSHAQ

Postby Brien on Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:34 am

nba2kstuff wrote:i hope your holidays have went well! i also have just moved into new state, and very very tired and sore.

Ouch..I hate moving. It wrecks my stuff too. I am trusting your holidays were otherwise memorable.

but i have put together an example prototype graphic patch, DT8889 retro example patch, that illustrates the succesful construction of this form of graphics sub-object.

Outstanding job. EAGE normally automatically handles this kind of compression. I suspect that EAGE is "confused" somehow because some of the sub-graphics are DXT compressed and others are LZ-bit compressed.

thanks again Brien for your superlative works with EAGraph! once i get settled in a little more i may have some additional suggestions and issues we can work on regarding some of the new ea formats and file systems!

I am all ears. We should try a joint project.
Brien
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby nba2kstuff on Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:09 pm

hello brien!

glad to see you are doing well!

this year, EA looks like they did a pretty good job. i enjoy very much the play, but miss the historic rosters lol! in anycase i wanted to share with you some small technical informations i discovered in my recent experiments with trying to convert the old jerseys. i , as many here, had difficulty with both EAGE and FSHTOOL for trying to make the letters on the names show up.
what seemed to be happening is that the letters would appear fine at certain reslutions but not at others. this led to believe it was a multi-scale bitmap. also these objects use transpacrencys, so they must also have alpha transparancy mask (also muti-scale). to top that off, the
bitmap seemed dtx compressed as you said, and then the whole graphics
object are then 10fb compressed! very comlpex format for these graphics!

the modifications to fshtool that were made, reveal these subobject types
more clearly. perhaps it may help you or others!

(INDEX.FSH DT88-jersery example)
Code: Select all
blet 0001-%d.BMP
MBQ+3 ED x1 128 64 {0 0 0 4096}
alpha 0001-%da.BMP

here the subtle difference that is revealed is for type ED for object blet, is muti-scale with multi-scale alpha MBQ compressed. you can see here the extracted images that show lower scale resolution images compressed within the sub-object.

i know your EAGE does decode most all compressed and multi-scales
automatically! EAGE is a very impressive technolgy, and over the years
have seen it grow in its huge feature base! but i know also the complexities of varying formats that EA has changed from version to version. and i know you had to add many exceptions and specifics for each upgrades. it is very complex and expert work! i hope everyone really appreciates it as i do!

and, i also appreciate very much (as i have been moving from old 2000 version to 2003 version) that this latest EAGE 102b worked much better for compatiblity between the 2! not sure anyone else would have noticed lol!

anyway i hope this info of these last experimentations helps you for EAGE! i will release soon this Nfshtool with nba customizations for friends here if they wish! and i will post here at nlsc and other friends more information about these and other tools and techniques that may help in patching for this 2003 great game!

peace Brien!
and i look forward also to working with you in the future (when time) on perhaps some utils for gfx patching!
Last edited by nba2kstuff on Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
nba2kstuff

Postby f.t.w. on Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:50 pm

I wanna second, third and fourth the compliments made to those of you who create and maintain the technology that helps those of us who aren't technically inclined do our graphic editing work. On that note, I would like to add that I don't have a fucking clue of what you're talking about, not a fucking clue. Am I correct in surmising that, in the near future, the techniques for editing blet.fsh will be dumbed down for people like me, who just like to pop open a cold photoshop and draw some purty uniforms?
I've been NBA Living since 2K, and have seen graphic editing become more user friendly in some areas (the render folder, jersey select screen) and a bit trickier in other areas (muti-scale alpha transparancy mask, sub-graphics are DXT compressed and LZ-bit compressed.) I know the following comment should be in the wishlist, but with the popularity of this game with graphics editors, could't they make the uniform graphics more modular? like, have jersey.viv A with numbers in a certain place seperate from blet.fsh A and number.viv A and so on? Does that make any sense? I guess they got my $50 and what do they care. Damn Canadians!
f.t.w.

Postby kidd4mvp on Tue May 20, 2003 8:16 am

That's great info, because I had problems with lettering on jerseys too. I recently had to re-create my xxhome and xxaway.fsh files, so I opened up my .fsh files and the .fsh file of the Timberwolves using FSHTool (since I wanted to use their lettering), copied the lettering file into the directory for my jersey, and FSHTooled it back up.

Now the letters look horrible unless you get close-up, as you can see here, first zoomed out, then zoomed in.

ImageImage

So if it's some alpha-mask compression issue, how can we fix it?

I'm using NFSHTool 1.22 to import and export from the .fsh files, and using GFXPak to add the sshome.fsh and ssaway.fsh back to the xteam.viv
kidd4mvp

Postby LegoSHAQ on Tue May 20, 2003 8:57 am

um... kidd4mvp... it was fixed a long time ago... just use NFSHTool with the -x option... and your lettering will not have this problem...

Thanks
LegoSHAQ

Postby BodyBump on Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:08 am

LegoSHAQ wrote:um... kidd4mvp... it was fixed a long time ago... just use NFSHTool with the -x option... and your lettering will not have this problem...

Thanks

how do i do that? can u post some example plZ.. tnx
BodyBump

Return to FshEd & EA Graphics Editor