Problem with Franchise mode and new season

Talk about NBA Live 95-2002 here.

Problem with Franchise mode and new season

Postby shortfin on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi.
I've just finished my 10th season (a winning one!) in my Franchise mode (NBA Live 2000 on Windows XP). Now, after the celebrations videos and screen, the program continuously crash. It seems unable to start the new season, particularly to generate new files like players, stats, rookie, etc.
I tried everything but I can't fix that one. I tried to re-install everything apart my "saves", I tried to delete all the files (players etc.) in order to let the program generate new ones, I've also bought a new CD, but it didn't work.

Has anyone suggestions/solutions?

Thank you

Marco (Italy)
shortfin

Re: Problem with Franchise mode and new season

Postby hentzman on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:46 pm

You didn't win any of the other seasons?

Well, the problem is very likely caused by a conflict with the cyberfaces. After the celebration video the starting line up shows up to celebrate the victory, and in this sequence, the game needs the large textured cyberfaces. However, I found out, that even if those textures are in the cyberface patch, the game crashes. So, to solve the problem, you have to save the game before the celebrations, go into the players.dbf and change the following columns - ISCREATED (T to F), ISROM (F to T), PLAYERPKG (cyberface to AAAA or whatever). When the new season is created, you can save the game and change the values back. You have to change only the starters and if you're quick and press Enter, it's only the PF you have to change. He shows up first.

Oh, you can use cdbf. Good program. (Y)
hentzman

Postby shortfin on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:08 am

hentzman wrote:You didn't win any of the other seasons?

Well, the problem is very likely caused by a conflict with the cyberfaces. After the celebration video the starting line up shows up to celebrate the victory, and in this sequence, the game needs the large textured cyberfaces. However, I found out, that even if those textures are in the cyberface patch, the game crashes. So, to solve the problem, you have to save the game before the celebrations, go into the players.dbf and change the following columns - ISCREATED (T to F), ISROM (F to T), PLAYERPKG (cyberface to AAAA or whatever). When the new season is created, you can save the game and change the values back. You have to change only the starters and if you're quick and press Enter, it's only the PF you have to change. He shows up first.

Yes, I won other three, any problems with those ones. And I don't have any problems also with celebration of the victory, I can see the starting line up showing up to celebrate the victory, and all the rest. After that, when I move forward, the message "generating the new season" appears and then, after 4-5 seconds, the game crashes.
shortfin

Postby hentzman on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 am

shortfin wrote:
hentzman wrote:You didn't win any of the other seasons?

Yes, I won other three, any problems with those ones. And I don't have any problems also with celebration of the victory, I can see the starting line up showing up to celebrate the victory, and all the rest. After that, when I move forward, the message "generating the new season" appears and then, after 4-5 seconds, the game crashes.

I haven't played 10 seasons so far, so I can't help more with this. Sorry!
hentzman

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Sounds like an error has occurred somewhere in the databases. However, unless there's a specific error message when the game crashes that might point us in the right direction, locating such an error is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hentzman on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Andrew wrote:Sounds like an error has occurred somewhere in the databases. However, unless there's a specific error message when the game crashes that might point us in the right direction, locating such an error is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Indeed, an error in a database could be possible. Sometimes saving the game causes a file corruption. If one is aware with dbf editing, it might be a way to check the dbf files, especially the players.dfb, for untypical values.

Anyway, a specific error message (I recommend a screenshot) could help us to narrow the problem.
hentzman

Postby shortfin on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 pm

hentzman wrote:Anyway, a specific error message (I recommend a screenshot) could help us to narrow the problem.

This is the screenshot. Please note that this time the error is, randomly, in the "schools2.cdx" file. Other times it could be in "players.cbx" or in "teams.cbx" or in other files.

Hope this can helps. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shortfin

Postby hentzman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:08 am

shortfin wrote:
hentzman wrote:Anyway, a specific error message (I recommend a screenshot) could help us to narrow the problem.

This is the screenshot. Please note that this time the error is, randomly, in the "schools2.cdx" file. Other times it could be in "players.cbx" or in "teams.cbx" or in other files.

Hope this can helps. Thank you.

All those files are in the "dbdata" folder. Did you rename it? I need more time for this. So long!
hentzman

Postby shortfin on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:19 am

hentzman wrote:All those files are in the "dbdata" folder. Did you rename it?

No

I need more time for this. So long!

Thank you!
shortfin

Postby hentzman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:23 am

Sorry, I racked my brain, but the only I can say is that any of that savegame's dbf files is corrupt, especially the players.dbf.

Maybe I come up with an idea in the next few days. Or Andrew has a clue. :wink:
hentzman

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:31 am

Removing the files so that the game refreshes them or copying the original ones from the disc to the dbdata folder might resolve the problem. An error in one of those folders may indicate the save file itself is still in working order. It's worth a shot.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shortfin on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Andrew wrote:Removing the files so that the game refreshes them or copying the original ones from the disc to the dbdata folder might resolve the problem. An error in one of those folders may indicate the save file itself is still in working order. It's worth a shot.

You mean remove all the .cdx files? I think I've done it, but I can try again. Only the .cbx files or I can empty the entire DBDATA folder?
shortfin

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:22 pm

The entire contents of the dbdata folder (though you might want to make a backup first). If that doesn't work, try copying the original dbdata files from the NBA Live 2000 disc.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby hentzman on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Andrew wrote:The entire contents of the dbdata folder (though you might want to make a backup first). If that doesn't work, try copying the original dbdata files from the NBA Live 2000 disc.

He should do the latter. I tried some things out yesterday and without the schools.dbf the game crashed.
hentzman

Postby hentzman on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 am

Ciao, signore!

Did our advice work?
hentzman

Postby shortfin on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:31 am

hentzman wrote:Ciao, signore!
Did our advice work?

I didn't try, i'm out for job, i'll try saturday. Thank you in advance.
shortfin

Postby Andrew on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:29 am

hentzman wrote:
Andrew wrote:The entire contents of the dbdata folder (though you might want to make a backup first). If that doesn't work, try copying the original dbdata files from the NBA Live 2000 disc.

He should do the latter. I tried some things out yesterday and without the schools.dbf the game crashed.

Ah, good point. I'm thinking of later games where clearing out certain temporary database folders resolves various crashes; copying the original files from the NBA Live 2000 disc is definitely the way to go here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shortfin on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:39 am

shortfin wrote:
hentzman wrote:Ciao, signore!
Did our advice work?

I didn't try, i'm out for job, i'll try saturday. Thank you in advance.

Ok, i tried: it didn't work. BUT, i'm sorry I forgot to say that, after the first message error, it appears a second one. Maybe THIS can help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shortfin

Postby hentzman on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:00 am

shortfin wrote: Maybe THIS can help?

Unfortunately, it helps not much. The problem is, you've played several seasons with no bugs and after the tenth the game crashes. It's quite difficult to say what exactly the problem is. Have you changed anything with your computer's configuration? Hardware, drivers, software?

Sorry Marco! Maybe Andrew or someone else can help or has experienced this error.
hentzman

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Yeah, I'm out of ideas sorry. Sounds like the save file has become glitched or corrupted somewhere along the line, there isn't anything else that I can suggest at this point.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby shortfin on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Andrew wrote:Yeah, I'm out of ideas sorry. Sounds like the save file has become glitched or corrupted somewhere along the line, there isn't anything else that I can suggest at this point.

Thank you anyway, Andrew and Hentzman. If something new happens, I'll let you know.
shortfin

Return to NBA Live Vintage