Official NBA 2K16 Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA 2K16 here.

Official NBA 2K16 Impressions Thread

Postby buzzy on Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:39 pm

We've always had a thread like this.

Overall I like some of the changes made in this year's installments while still experiencing some of the same old frustrating things that have been there for years.

But first the good stuff. I love jump shooting this year. Smoother releases and a great new way of stepping into shots, adding some nice animations for pull up and running jumpers. Add to that authentic feeling rim and ball physics and you're gonna want to jack up shots all day, especially with players that super smooth jumpers like Lillard, Curry, Durant etc.
The ball really feels like it's own entity more than ever before. It gets knocked loose, it bounces off the rim for long rebounds and it rolls around the rim on layups.

I haven't noticed that big of a difference with the new supposed foot planting technique, it does look nice in some instances for example a player coming off a screen to catch a pass and either going up for a shot or looking to drive.

What's also nice is how quick players are now able to react after getting a rebound. Players are basically now able to pull down a board and in the same animation fire up a full court heave. It really improved the speed at which you can start a fast break. I've also seen some really quick after basket inbounds which is nice, but I'd still like to see players be quicker more regularly in that regard.

The defense in 2k16 is better. Individual AI player defense can be smothering and frustrating if you're trying to do much in isolation. What, to me, is actual frustration is how bad I am at staying in front of opponents. My defensive assists is still at zero, but at this point it feels like opponents have a much quicker first step than you. This could just be a matter of learning offensive moves as well as getting better at reacting on defense.

Two infuriating things that still exist is, number one, terrible off ball defense - for example when the CPU is bringing the ball up court. Your big man is overplaying so much and is not able to stay between his man and the hoop for his life. Your opponent big man is just casually strolling to the basket and gets a long pass from the PG for a hoop. You're not even thinking at what happens down there because you're just trying to guard the PG while your center doesn't give a shit on defense.

Number two, which I have to admit has gotten a lot better as opposed to 2k15, is still in it to an extent. You're guarding your opposite player who's pulling up for a jump shot at the top of the key while your rim protector out of nowhere forgets all his obligations and tries to super jump from the paint to all of a sudden block your guy's jump shot - which he obviously can't do because he's 10 feet away. What happens next? His guy get's an offensive rebound.

I'm also still skeptical all the pass buttons are needed. I remember having resentments to control changes in past games and I usually always come around to it, but I'm really not sure this time. It just doesn't feel very intuitive to have three pass buttons. Modifiers with one pass button like last year worked just fine.

Smart Play on the Up button on the D-Pad is weird as well. If you're bringing the ball up court you're using your left thumb to move your player so using the same thumb to call a play doesn't feel natural.

While I'm glad the quick subs menu are usable again by adding stamina stats, they way it's layed out on the right stick directions to make subs feels terrible. It feels like another change just for the sake of changing it. Using a directional pad to switch out players is much more intuitive than having to flicking and pressing it for certain actions.

Replay mode seems a little buggy. Right stick movement tends to not be recognized at all sometimes.

I like the addition of individual colorways for both home and away shoes.

Stance socks don't seem to be in the game yet.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Re: Official 2k16 Impressions Thread

Postby maumau78 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Game is huge (Y) got it early on PC/Steam.....play on low settings on my Quad i7 + 640M

Some nice stuff I saw:

PRO:
- Rim Ball Physics is insane,,,ball now seems to have weight and you'll see some nice long rebounds......
- Got some huuuge blocks and some spectacular Contact Dunks
- I love the pace / speed of the game
- Rim Sounds are almoust new and nice....still some old SFX 2K need to remove
- Animations are stellar
- Defense Matters and you can protect paint
- CPU put Wilson Chandler on Lebron instead of suing Gallinari during a Cleveland Nuggets game... :applaud:
- Home & Away Shoes is dope!

CONS:
- Net Physics is bad not updated IMHO
- Main Menù / Intro was great on 2k15.....I personally don't like them in 2k16
- They must allow us to edit body types....too many players with wrong / inaccurate BT

QUESTIONS:
- I heard that player intro (with arena announce) for both teams are in 2k16 did someone saw them?
- I play on low settings so maybe this is the couse....why so much light in playing at Staples Center or MSG? Do I have to play in Highest settings?
- Sometimes play by play is stopped...it did happen at the end of the 4th period is this a bug? (EDIT: reported by many users it's a bug)
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

You like my works? Support me! Donations Link Below:
https://paypal.me/maumau78mods
https://twitter.com/MauroAnceschi
https://www.youtube.com/user/anceschmau78/videos
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby buzzy on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:41 pm

maumau78 wrote:- I heard that player intro (with arena announce) for both teams are in 2k16 did someone saw them?

Yeah. You get the monotonous announcing from the PA with regular light for the away team, then they dim the lights and do the regular announcing we know from last year.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby maumau78 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:57 pm

buzzy wrote:
maumau78 wrote:- I heard that player intro (with arena announce) for both teams are in 2k16 did someone saw them?

Yeah. You get the monotonous announcing from the PA with regular light for the away team, then they dim the lights and do the regular announcing we know from last year.

http://imgur.com/AHZIGg0

mmmm that's curious maybe PS4 only?
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby buzzy on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:03 pm

No I told you, I saw them. And I'm on PC.
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby maumau78 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:27 pm

buzzy wrote:No I told you, I saw them. And I'm on PC.

Sorry I didn't get it :-/ my bad

Was that a exhibition / season / or playoff game?

Thx in advance
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maumau78 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:03 pm

2k15

2k16

Sorry but I have to ask...it's only me or "light out effect" is turned off this year? I noticed on MSG and Staples Center.....even If I turn quality to high and all effects lights seems off in respect to 2k15
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Slim5050 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:36 pm

Can you guys view player of the game highlights or box score highlights? Cause i cant.
Slim5050

Postby Vlad2010 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:36 pm

maumau78, here viewtopic.php?f=163&t=99656#p1814275 too it was notice, however, compared to 2k14. So it probably is the case
Vlad2010

Postby PoundedChicken on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:46 pm

My impressions below (after only 15 hours):

Pros
  1. Graphics - they look fantastic incl. additional animations, crowds, body types etc
  2. 5 v 5 Gameplay is great with good variety and better player behaviour
  3. MyCareer - In-Game Performance Score system and Coach satisfaction both improved BUT still frustrating the penalty for allowing an offensive rebound - especially after you've just either blocked their shot or given a good defensive contest. I blocked a shot with 30 sec to go which got me an A+, then the offensive rebound penalty dropped me back to an A...
  4. MyCareer - the ability to skip the unbearably boring "movies" and be able to PLAY the game - I should NOT be able to compare an NBA 2K game to Metal Gear Solid in the same sentence.
  5. MyLeague - NBA Draft process
  6. Gameplay - Moving post-ups back to left-trigger (though it'll take getting used to again)
  7. Gameplay - Making players behave as they do in real life - ie, no Centers hanging at the 3pt all game whilst stretch 4s never stretch... well almost
There is this:
bismack.jpg

Cons
  1. Loading indicator - apparently all of the big things load between 97% and 99%, because that 2% takes 4x as long as the previous 97%
  2. Graphics - constant stuttering, doesn't utilise SLI, doesn't properly support ultra-wide (2560x1080)
  3. MyCareer Story - it's just a case of watching a Spike Lee movie, there is no MY story, just HIS story. I feel like gameplay was forgotten in this mode.
  4. MyCareer Gameplay - Doesn't feel like your own team's AI is really doing anything offensively. I've seen Brandon Knight once or twice a game - without moving at all - dribble out about 18 seconds of the clock just inside the 3 point line and throw up a contested 2.
  5. MyCareer - Rookie season lack of flexibility. You play a fixed number of games and can't even go see your stats anywhere! No pathing in terms of story line, just watching.
  6. Gameplay - Game still does not seem to recognise that some fouls aren't in the act of shooting. Ie. it's clear what the AI intended to do (shoot), but the foul occurred before the animation reached anything resembling a shooting motion.
  7. MyLeague - Nice feature being able to adjust the salary cap and its growth, but, like last year there is not future projections available vs committed salary. This was a great screen they took out in 2K14 (I think?), but more useful now than ever.
  8. MyGM - I guess I still don't feel at all "invested" in this mode. The training mini-game is still more of a distraction than anything and the change to staffing doesn't feel like an "improvement" as such yet. Maybe in a few years... In the meantime, at least there's MyLeague.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PoundedChicken on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PoundedChicken

Postby karposter on Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:01 am

my 5 year laptop is running the game on medium-low (but still working) will be a new desktop
the menu are nice
the xbox controller's are a little bit annoying (PASS WITH A/Y/B)
good work on the jersey and court

any I didn't get the VC yet (pre order from steam) it will be possible on the 29 maybe ?
karposter

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:13 am

maumau78 wrote:Game is huge (Y) got it early on PC/Steam.....play on low settings on my Quad i7 + 640M

Some nice stuff I saw:

PRO:
- Rim Ball Physics is insane,,,ball now seems to have weight and you'll see some nice long rebounds......
- Animations are stellar
- CPU put Wilson Chandler on Lebron instead of suing Gallinari during a Cleveland Nuggets game... :applaud:

CONS:
- They must allow us to edit body types....too many players with wrong / inaccurate BT

QUESTIONS:
- I heard that player intro (with arena announce) for both teams are in 2k16 did someone saw them?
- I play on low settings so maybe this is the couse....why so much light in playing at Staples Center or MSG? Do I have to play in Highest settings?
- Sometimes play by play is stopped...it did happen at the end of the 4th period is this a bug? (EDIT: reported by many users it's a bug)

Question...why are you playing on low settings with a I-7 processor? You more than have enough juice to run the game at max settings don't you?
Uncle Drew

Postby maumau78 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:41 am

Uncle Drew wrote:
maumau78 wrote:Game is huge (Y) got it early on PC/Steam.....play on low settings on my Quad i7 + 640M

Some nice stuff I saw:

PRO:
- Animations are stellar

CONS:

QUESTIONS:

Question...why are you playing on low settings with a I-7 processor? You more than have enough juice to run the game at max settings don't you?

Bro It's a laptop.....I can't get decent FPS on med/high.....
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Uncle Drew on Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:32 am

maumau78 wrote:
Uncle Drew wrote:

Some nice stuff I saw:

PRO:
- Animations are stellar

CONS:

QUESTIONS:

Bro It's a laptop.....I can't get decent FPS on med/high.....

NP bruh....just asking. Desktop would probably be a better choice for gaming.
Uncle Drew

Postby maumau78 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:55 am

Vlad2010 wrote:maumau78, here viewtopic.php?f=163&t=99656#p1814275 too it was notice, however, compared to 2k14. So it probably is the case

It should be a bug....euroleage arena still have "lights out effects" while now in 2k16 every NBA arena look the same..... (N) (N) (N)
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jxc on Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:01 am

I don't want to start a new thread, so I might just ask it here. Can anyone edit their team's shorts while relocationg in MyLeague? Jerseys work fine, but when I want to change anything about shorts, there is no effect. Is it just me, or is it common issue?
jxc

Postby cramsiaca on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Look at Kyle Lowry though hahaha
"He who controls the rebound, controls the game."
cramsiaca

Postby RazberyBandit on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:00 pm

^
MyGM, starring Kyle Lowry as trainer Fred Tedeschi.

Anyone notice during their MyCareer High School games that there's a player on the Fairview Tornadoes named Leftos? He wears number 4, and I think he's the PF.
Last edited by RazberyBandit on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RazberyBandit

Postby PoundedChicken on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:10 pm

They recycle a lot of the faces, same thing last year too
PoundedChicken

Postby Nick on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:43 am

MyLeague - I love it. But I simmed a few years ahead in MyLeague to see how the NBA landscape changes aswell as player development, and I realized that there's a fundamental problem with the franchise modes that are gonna be quite hard to fix: even though young player ratings improve, their averages don't necessarily improve, particularly PPG, because a lot of the PPG has to do with player tendencies, such as 'touches' and 'shots', but as far as i can tell tendencies don't change from year to year, they're static.

It isn't so much of a problem for MyLeague as it is for MyGM, because in MyLeague you can just edit players' tendencies yourself to match up with their current abilities. But it's definitely a little bit of a let down, as i was so hyped for MyLeague & MyGM this year.

I'd like to see more change in the yearly player progression and regression. Often times, you sim 3 years later and the landscape is basically the same. Players only improve or decrease 1 or 2 pts overall in a year, if at all, sometimes 3... if they're 19 or 20 then it can be up to 5 pts. But I'd like to see more random jumps. I wanna see a player or two randomly improve 10 pts in one offseason (like Jimmy Butler did, etc). And some 33 yr old decrease like 5 pts, stuff like that. Not too much, but more distribution would be more realistic and exciting.

Also, i miss staff badges.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby JaoSming on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:53 am

RazberyBandit wrote:Anyone notice during their MyCareer High School games that there's a player on the Fairview Tornadoes named Leftos? He wears number 4, and I think he's the PF.

http://gfycat.com/BoilingFrenchEuropeanfiresalamander
phpBB [video]
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Lamrock on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 am

I've only played the game for a few hours, and am thus still in the honeymoon period, but I like what I've seen so far!

MyLeague is my main mode, as always, and they've added a lot of little things I appreciate. The relocation tool is awesome. While I've had a hard time designing a jersey that isn't hideous (bringing back the Sonics of course), it's a blast designing the arena. After over a decade of PS2-era create a team feature, this is a revelation. Can't wait to upload my own ads! Also cool is the pro-rated stats feature. Now I can play 6 minute quarters AND have a (reasonably) realistic NBA landscape.

In my old age, I've come to accept that I'm not patient or skilled enough to be a sim player, and so I'm able to let more things slide with the gameplay. So far I'm enjoying it - I haven't figured out all the new controls yet, but shooting and post play have improved. My only gripe is that they ruined on-the-fly subs. I can't seem to get the right analog stick subs to work, and it feels unnatural.

Graphics are good - about the same as last year, soundtrack is a mixed bag as always, but there are more songs to get sick of, so that's good. They went off the deep end with the presentation - the player interviews and halftime show are awkward, but I love all the bells and whistles. Makes Madden seem so bare bones. Menus are fine - a little gaudy, but I didn't like 2K15's for whatever reason.

myCareer is silly. I have to pretend my 5'11" white guy was adopted, and the dialogue is kinda cringeworthy at times. Starting in high school, then playing in college is a good idea, I liked this mode a lot better on last gen to be honest.

Thus far, I don't regret caving and buying this. Feels like I got a lot of game for my money.
Lamrock

Postby NastyGT on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:11 am

My opinion for PC version:

PRO: Everything...

CONS: ...exept ONE ENORMOUSLY HUGE MISTAKE - lack of keyboard mapping. For someone who hate gamepads and play everything on keyboard this is dealbreaking enough to think about refund.
NastyGT

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:25 am

Well, now that I have 20+ hours under the belt, I think I can share some of my impressions...

General: Defense is challenging. Shooting is sometimes frustrating. Passing controls are great. Post moves are pretty good.

MyCareer: Didn't get too far yet (start of the first season), so not much there. The high school and college looks like a great way for new players to get into the game.

MyLeague: Basically started it to try out the relocation... And that is amazing. Especially the custom arena. Jerseys could use more designs.

MyTeam: Finally got into it this year. Pretty much grind in the beginning (no bonus packs yet), but I'm starting to have an interesting team now. Doing mainly Domination with 2K Beats sound setup.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby JaoSming on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:33 am

How far into Domination are you? Just beat the Celtics..... its been rough but I just got IT as my first gold player.

Finally bringing the game home has been great though....put in a 10 hour session yesterday going through the MyCAREER story and starting the endorsement train.

Played a couple of Play Now Online games, 2-0 (plus I think 1-1 on PS4) with a +1 for knocking off some guy running a constant full-court press with the Spurs and trying to cheese Kawhi dunks with me as the Celtics.

And setup my arcade MyLEAGUE for when I just want to blow off some steam and for whatever reason don't want Blacktop.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Next

Return to NBA 2K16