Take-Two Sued Over Unauthorized Use of Tattoos

Talk about NBA 2K16 here.

Take-Two Sued Over Unauthorized Use of Tattoos

Postby TBM on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:47 am

The realism you see in NBA 2K16 could lead to a big-time payment for a tattoo studio. Solid Oak Sketches filed a lawsuit in New York federal court over the unauthorized use of their artwork by Take-Two Interactive, the company that makes NBA 2K16. The artwork in question: Tattoos, or more specifically, LeBron James' and Kobe Bryant's tattoos.

Solid Oak Sketches lists eight designs that were infringed upon by putting them in the game. Most notably are the child's portrait on LeBron's forearm and butterflies on Kobe's arm. Initially the company offered Take-Two the ability to license the tattoos for $1.1 million, but the designer did not pay and instead put them in the game anyway.

This isn't the first time tattoos in sports video games have led to lawsuits. In 2010 THQ, former publishers of UFC Undisputed, were forced to pay $22,500 of a $4.1 million suit leveled against the company for the unauthorized use of fighter Carlos Condit's tattoos.

The extent of the misuse of the art is up to the courts to decide -- but it's a little creepy that art on your own body can be claimed as the property of someone else.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/2/2 ... obe-bryant
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Take-Two Sued Over Unauthorized Use of Tattoos

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:53 am

phpBB [video]

No seriously. I hope 2K will win this stupid trial and avoid becoming a game like Pro Evolution Soccer. For the people who don't know what I am talking about, they have 0 Tattoo licenses on their players. Actually, this year they won the tattoo rights for their cover athlete Neymar and the whole thing was presented on the market like it was a whoooleeee new game mode or something. It was the kind of stuff they wanted to print on the back of their video game disk case. It was overrated and pathetic imo.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:58 am

While it may come across as petty, if 2K (or any company) uses a trademarked property without licensing it first, then problems like this will arise. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for an issue to crop up, considering how many players have visible tattoos.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby TBM on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:19 am

Carmelo Anthony has the Warner Brothers logo on his shoulder, but I guess WB hasn't noticed or they might sue also.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:21 am

Assuming an agreement hasn't been reached, most definitely.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby TBM on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:27 am

They do take out some stuff, though. For example, Derrick Rose's "Sweet Home Chicago" tattoo just says "Sweet Home", probably because "Sweet Home Chicago" is the name of a song. CM Punk's Pepsi tattoo isn't in the WWE 2K games, also.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:30 am

Exactly. So in those instances where a trademarked logo or image does appear in-game, they've either secured the rights, or they're hoping that the owner of the trademark doesn't notice or care.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K16