Face Scanning coming to PC?

Talk about NBA 2K16 here.

Face Scanning coming to PC?

Postby joosegoose on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:19 am

If you check the depots for 2k16 (https://steamdb.info/app/370240/history/), you can see that the devs have been busy, making 6 updates since the most recent patch. Among these was an update on the 17th, a new branch titled "Intel Face Scan." I'm not particularly knowledgeable or anything, but I saw this and it caught my attention, wondered if anyone else had ideas or theories.
joosegoose

Re: Face Scanning coming to PC?

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:16 am

I guess it's possible. I'd be a little surprised though, since the reason it hasn't been available in the PC version thus far is the lack of standard PC camera hardware that has the necessary capabilities for face scanning.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby joosegoose on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:57 am

Andrew wrote:I guess it's possible. I'd be a little surprised though, since the reason it hasn't been available in the PC version thus far is the lack of standard PC camera hardware that has the necessary capabilities for face scanning.

Yeah I'm not expecting anything and I didn't mean for the title to be so clickbaity, but I saw that and didn't really have any idea what it could be. Dedicating a whole new branch to it though would make it seem that it's likely a relatively big (or experimental) feature, so I was mainly posting here to get insight from anyone more familiar with game development. I'm not even someone who cares about MyCareer/face scanning...though, if scanning were made available for franchise modes and draft classes one day... :D
joosegoose

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:18 am

It looks like whomever is working on the pc builds may be doing just that. The last 3 builds may indicate that it is going through the qa process. I think this is a great idea, and may actually improve the scanning on the consoles.

I don't truly understand why 2K tries to automate the process so much. They could involve the user a bit more in the process, by moving and assigning points to certain parts of the head and face before attempting to render after scanning. In theory, this would give us feedback as to how well our scan and lighting worked. On top of that, some hue, gamma, brightness, contrast, and saturation options could help blend the generated texture with the base skin tones.

Andrew wrote:I guess it's possible. I'd be a little surprised though, since the reason it hasn't been available in the PC version thus far is the lack of standard PC camera hardware that has the necessary capabilities for face scanning.

I'm not entirely sure the camera is a big factor(other than quality to produce a more accurate model and high resolution texture. The 2K face scan feature seems to take multiple pictures and use sophisticated programming to generate the points/model. I don't think they use the second camera, but I am not completely positive. I guess someone would have to block one of the cameras of the ps4 cam or kinect while scanning to find out.

With experience in using facegen, they did something similar. Select a front, and two side pictures of a face, assign points to certain facial features, and a face model and texture is generated. I looked at the EA mobile app files on android and it appears that it takes around 14 photos, and each photo has a couple files with similar naming schemes that contain data for use in the scan. So, it's quite possible like you said. I would have to disagree with you on the "standards" from a PC compatible camera, since the software appears to need a well lit image with a recognizable face so it can calculate the facial features for a model and match sections across images to blend a texture map together. I almost make it sound easy, but of course it's not. I'm sure it's just something we would all like for the PC version. Especially since most cameras on PC allow you to modify things like brightness, contrast, and saturation! As long as the 2K programming reads that information while scanning, it might even allow for better scans than the consoles.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby TBM on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:24 am

This is very interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:14 am

Pdub wrote:I'm not entirely sure the camera is a big factor(other than quality to produce a more accurate model and high resolution texture. The 2K face scan feature seems to take multiple pictures and use sophisticated programming to generate the points/model. I don't think they use the second camera, but I am not completely positive. I guess someone would have to block one of the cameras of the ps4 cam or kinect while scanning to find out.

With experience in using facegen, they did something similar. Select a front, and two side pictures of a face, assign points to certain facial features, and a face model and texture is generated. I looked at the EA mobile app files on android and it appears that it takes around 14 photos, and each photo has a couple files with similar naming schemes that contain data for use in the scan. So, it's quite possible like you said. I would have to disagree with you on the "standards" from a PC compatible camera, since the software appears to need a well lit image with a recognizable face so it can calculate the facial features for a model and match sections across images to blend a texture map together. I almost make it sound easy, but of course it's not. I'm sure it's just something we would all like for the PC version. Especially since most cameras on PC allow you to modify things like brightness, contrast, and saturation! As long as the 2K programming reads that information while scanning, it might even allow for better scans than the consoles.

I seem to recall 2K mentioning it as a reason face scanning isn't available on the PC, but I could be mistaken. It might not have been that it's impossible to do, just that it would rely on everyone having a good enough webcam for it to turn out alright and be worth implementing. I'd say that's a valid concern; consider the amount of people we've seen complain that they can't run the latest releases on dual core systems from around 2006/2007. Not everyone is going to have sufficient rigs or the necessary peripherals, and since there's no standard hardware/peripherals - as with the consoles - people are going to go out and buy the wrong things, or at the very least, it's going to be difficult to support all the different models. But hopefully, there's progress being made here and it's something that can come to PC at some point.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Absolutely. And with the amount of people having phones with cameras, it would make more sense to integrate face scanning into their MyNBA2K app. Any lighting issues can be solved by going outside or scanning in another room. Even then, they could possibly connect the app to the pc version similar to the pipboy appi fallout 4.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:39 pm

Seeing how well EA's GameFace HD app has worked, I'd love to see 2K do something similar. If it worked as well as the Pip-Boy app as far as connecting to the game, even better.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby TBM on Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:05 am

I googled Intel Face Scan and found this:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/realsense-3d
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:07 am

Certainly sounds promising.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:18 am

Nice find. The description sounds exactly like the 2k face scanning process. That Intel camera has three lenses, though. I'm guessing the software can be adapted for use with other cameras.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby andreu24 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:21 am

An update of Intel's face scan technology from CES running on Fallout 4.

phpBB [video]

Bit weird though. While it's perfectly recognizable and looks legit at 0:30, it seems to be just a texture at 0:43 and ingame. Maybe it is due to Fallout importation. Anyways, it would make sense to implement it in other games such as 2K, but if it was the case, as stated before you'd still need the proper hardware.
andreu24

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:28 am

Definitely not just a texture as they move the head model a bit backwards. It's definitely going to look weird for anyone with longer hair, I think. It looks like it is just a part of his model. Lighting looks to be an issue as well.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby TBM on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:20 am

phpBB [video]

The major downside to this is that you can't buy a RealSense camera from what I can tell. You literally have to buy a dedicated PC that comes with the camera built-in. So 99% of people can't use this feature.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:24 am

Well, I was completely wrong. I didn't think they used the depth camera for consoles. So much for thinking they could generate a face from photos.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby andreu24 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:50 am

TBM wrote:The major downside to this is that You literally have to buy a dedicated PC that comes with the camera built-in.

Just to get a mediocre result that won't look close to you at all.

I've never understood how 2K constantly puts efforts in nonsense (wasting money on Jay-Z destroying its interface, on Spike Lee doing the same with MyPlayer, on Pharrell Williams with its sountrack, on this so far useless feature, 2KTV etc.) while they constantly release their games with the same old problems, including poor optimization, bugs or online issues; something that could perfectly be adressed if only they did the right prioritizations.
andreu24

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:44 am

So, the comments on the YouTube video aren't particularly positive. A little strange that some console users are complaining about it only benefiting PC users when the PS4 and X1 versions already have it, but there you go.

I guess that confirms the reason the PC version has lacked face scanning is that most webcams don't have the necessary tech to do the job. It's just a shame that the one that does isn't a peripheral that you can purchase separately. Maybe something to consider if you're getting a new system, I suppose, but that's not really an option for everyone.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:55 pm

I doubt it was delayed because of lack of capable hardware. Cams are just cams, the magic is software. This was just a partnership deal, they knew they could get a sponsor out of it and they did. Unfortunately no one will benefit from it.
jmmontoro

Postby TBM on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:02 pm

jmmontoro wrote:Cams are just cams, the magic is software.

Wrong. These cameras have special sensors in them that make them detect depth.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:07 pm

Ok, it was an exaggeration, but it's no different from phone front cams, they have similar if not the same sensors. The point is that you don't need a special camera to take a particular set of screenshots and build a model. EA has a browser extension for their games.
jmmontoro

Postby I Hate Mondays on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm

TBM wrote:

So the special cameras detect the depth, but it doesn't matter because we have to build the headshape from scratch ?
I Hate Mondays

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:24 pm

I hate Mondays wrote:
TBM wrote:

So the special cameras detect the depth, but it doesn't matter because we have to build the headshape from scratch ?

Nope,
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Smaug on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:19 pm

My commentary cuts out after this face scan update :? :?
Smaug

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:40 pm

I hate Mondays wrote:
TBM wrote:

No, you can make additional adjustments following a scan, the same as the console versions.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:58 pm

I see this as a partnership between Intel and 2K - players wanted face scan on PC and Intel needs new usages for it's tech.

I'm not going to shell out $99 for a camera with one use (for me) though.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Next

Return to NBA 2K16