Administrator

Re: A few videos (Shacknews)

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 am

Very happy with everything so far (Y)
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Don't like the hand-holding in the rookie game. Hopefully they treat that as like a tutorial mode for you to learn how to play in career mode. The clock telling you to get across half court shouldn't be there (c'mon even if you don't play basketball, that should happen like once and then you figure it out. you don't need to be reminded every time down the floor). Also, the meter for each shot is too much. I understand the need to show percentages and reasoning after last year's debacle but hopefully that's not in every game by default.

Hope they have the game face app done by the demo release on Tuesday. I assume they'll want you to make a player and try the app in the demo
Also don't like that they're sorting teams by team name as opposed to city name as theyve done in the past (N)
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:20 pm

You can turn off those notifications if you don't want them. Ditto the defensive line.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby miki_92 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:41 pm

They brag all summer long and then they serve this :roll:

Still looks like players are sliding, that lay up at 3:05 where player just teleports himself to hoop without any contest :roll: ,
KAT hook shot almost ended up on shot clock and somehow still went through the hoop + other weird around the hoop animations

But yeah it's so cool that ppl can dress up nicely and put on some fancy tattoos, that will beat 2k
miki_92

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:09 pm

miki_92 wrote:They brag all summer long and then they serve this :roll:

Still looks like players are sliding, that lay up at 3:05 where player just teleports himself to hoop without any contest :roll: ,
KAT hook shot almost ended up on shot clock and somehow still went through the hoop + other weird around the hoop animations

But yeah it's so cool that ppl can dress up nicely and put on some fancy tattoos, that will beat 2k

There are still some awkward animations, yes. But it's night and day as far as how it feels on the sticks, compared to NBA Live 15.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:44 pm

Oh and was it just me or was the crowd noise a bit low? I get that they want to show off the new player chatter but you should be able to hear that in a pickup game, not an nba game in an arena
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Sorry to sound like a broken record but what I really want to see is raw unedited nba teams gameplay and at least a good 5-10 minutes of it too!
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby zzcoolj21 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:36 am

mp3 wrote:Sorry to sound like a broken record but what I really want to see is raw unedited nba teams gameplay and at least a good 5-10 minutes of it too!

http://www.pastapadre.com/2015/09/14/le ... ive-stream
Watch the 2nd video
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby mp3 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:09 am

zzcoolj21 wrote:
mp3 wrote:Sorry to sound like a broken record but what I really want to see is raw unedited nba teams gameplay and at least a good 5-10 minutes of it too!

http://www.pastapadre.com/2015/09/14/le ... ive-stream
Watch the 2nd video

Thank you sir!

Really enjoyed watching that, I would say the cpu is in love with the 3 ball but thankfully we have sliders for that now and I am looking forward to when Andrew can tell us how in depth they are.....

Game play and player movement look solid and I can't wait to play it.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:50 am

The cpu vs cpu game from the live stream looked good. The rookie game looked a bit raw.

Animations look responsive and smooth, but the choice of animation needs to be improved so it fits the context better.
A couple of examples are when a post player pivots towards the defender instead of away.
The rebounding animations seemed to be slowed down in some way and players look like they are floating sometimes.
There does look like a bit of sliding, but if I can have the response that it looks like the game has, I'll live with it.
Some of the layups look like the player is being pulled to the rim, or somehow jumped farther than his momentum and speed should have allowed.
Passing speed looks to be nice and variable, but players are making cross-court and cross-key passes through traffic

Play by play commentary needs to be more proactive with what is happening on the court instead of just waiting for a player to shoot before saying anything. Lots of lulls when they aren't telling stories, they just wait until a shot or possession change before speaking. This hurts the intensity and atmosphere.
Crowd noise sounds pretty good for the live stream videos, but the rookie game had some kind of constant cheer going on like a soccer game. Basketball has lots of "hills and valleys" when it comes to crowd noise.
I'm loving the on-court chatter.

In the end cpu vs cpu doesn't really matter, the controls, visuals and atmosphere need to be tailored to the users experience. The game still seems to be stale in a way. I just don't feel excited by it. It could be the presentation, atmosphere, or just little parts of everything. EA Sports needs to find a way to wow us.

I'll try the demo, but after watching the other game's footage gameplay......
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:37 am

Andrew wrote:
miki_92 wrote:They brag all summer long and then they serve this :roll:

There are still some awkward animations, yes. But it's night and day as far as how it feels on the sticks, compared to NBA Live 15.

Night and day huh? Well we'll see ourselves with the demo gameplay I guess.

Visually though, those funky animations are not going to convert the sceptics at all. They were horrible in 15 and even worse now.
Phreak50

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 am

I think you will. Having played NBA Live 15 immediately before and in the weeks after the NBA Live 16 community event, the improvement in responsiveness and fluidity on the sticks is very, very noticeable. I'd also disagree that the animations are worse, as there are some nice new ones in there. Unfortunately, the awkward ones do remain, but there are longer stretches, whole plays where the game looks good.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mlp111 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:57 pm

my impression on demo is yes its better than live 15, with that being said it still has ton of work to be done. Live run is incredible fun, will purchase game for that alone. However, the cheese-fest has already began, centers are unstoppable handles and all. Game just doesn't justify a $60 price tag at all IMO. Will pick it up for about 20-25 dollars tops when the price drops. Animations and transitions are a nightmare at time, and the passing is horridly floaty. I'm just not sure how to really take this game honestly, but demo is enough for me to know it will not be a day one purchase for sure.
mlp111

Postby Yo1 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:13 am

meh... can't believe they came up with same engine over and over again... NBA Live franchise NEEEEED new engine BADLY!!! (N) (N) (N)
Pure SICKNESS!!!!
Yo1

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:40 am

mlp111 wrote:my impression on demo is yes its better than live 15, with that being said it still has ton of work to be done. Live run is incredible fun, will purchase game for that alone. However, the cheese-fest has already began, centers are unstoppable handles and all. Game just doesn't justify a $60 price tag at all IMO. Will pick it up for about 20-25 dollars tops when the price drops. Animations and transitions are a nightmare at time, and the passing is horridly floaty. I'm just not sure how to really take this game honestly, but demo is enough for me to know it will not be a day one purchase for sure.

the demo is up already??
Yo1 wrote:meh... can't believe they came up with same engine over and over again... NBA Live franchise NEEEEED new engine BADLY!!! (N) (N) (N)

So they spend the year completely rebuilding the game like they did for elite 12/live 13 and are unable to release a playable game next year?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA Live 16