Freestyle Control and Movement Blog

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

Freestyle Control and Movement Blog

Postby Andrew on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:46 am

Check it out here: https://www.easports.com/nba-live/news/ ... ay-details

A summary of the key points...

• In addition to improved dribbling animations, there is a greater sense of control and responsiveness when performing crossovers and other dribbling moves, as well as chaining moves together.
  • Signature moves and size-ups are no longer automated with the right stick; instead, the user can perform the moves as desired by moving the right stick with one-to-one control. In other words, the user has a choice of moves and the speed at which they are performed.
  • Users no longer have to wait for a shot animation to play out before releasing a jumpshot, so early releases to beat the defense are possible. The new shot meter will provide more information on the quality of the release, teaching you how to shoot the perfect jumper.
  • New inside shots have also been added, including signature dunks and layups. Signature moves such as Jamal Crawford's stepback jumper are also in NBA Live 16.
  • We can select which teammate comes over for dribble handoffs, which are performed by the B/Circle button. It's also possible to queue up touch passes to move the ball around more quickly, by pressing the pass button again before a player catches a pass.
  • A new "Catch to Score" system increases responsiveness in NBA Live 16, allowing users to get off shots quicker after receiving the pass, as well as go to the hoop more swiftly and in stride after a catch or cut.
  • Passing animations have been added and improved upon (notably alley-oops). More contextually appropriate passes are also in the game, along with better passes on pick-and-rolls.
  • Speaking of the pick-and-roll, when you call for a pick, screeners actively set themselves up to screen defenders, and adjust themselves to any pre-screen movement. Continuing to hold the LT/L2 button calls for a re-screen, and quickly releasing LT/L2 and pressing it again gets your teammate to set their pick on the other side.
  • Users can also easily switch between a roll and a pop by pressing down on the left stick.

Definitely sounds good to me. Kind of nice to hear the term "Freestyle Control" being used again...makes me feel nostalgic.

The proof will be in the pudding as far as animation improvements and responsiveness are concerned, but it's definitely encouraging to hear that it was a focus as far as improving the gameplay this year. I do really like the sound of the increased control over dribbling, as that should eliminate some of the stiffness of NBA Live 14 and NBA Live 15. Hopefully, it won't mess up the good work they've done with footplanting. As I've said before, the new shot meter and increased feedback is also very welcome; I liked what they did in NBA Live 15, but it was still lacking.

New signature moves...thumbs up for that. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: Freestyle Control and Movement Blog

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:10 pm

Sounds great. Glad they took my (and I'm sure many others) suggestion of the touch passing.

Responsiveness in general needing polishing so this all sounds good.

Just hope the handful of dodgy animations are replaced this year.
Phreak50

Return to NBA Live 16