NBA Live 16 Gameplay Demo (IGN)

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

NBA Live 16 Gameplay Demo (IGN)

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:40 am

IGN have posted a gameplay demo of NBA Live 16, which includes a chat with producers Connor Dougan and Ryan Santos.

Check it out here: http://ign.com/videos/2015/06/17/nba-li ... ve-e3-2015

EDIT: YouTube version.

phpBB [video]

https://youtu.be/CaaH70bymN4
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator

Re: NBA Live 16 Gameplay Demo (IGN)

Postby Manni Live on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:55 am

I see alot of improvements in this game,i cant wait to get my hands on a copy

For all my patches for NBA 2K16 & NBA 2K14 Visit http://mannipatches.blogspot.ca/

Flickr Page https://www.flickr.com/photos/99620982@N03/

If your willing to support feel free to donate :)

Manni Live
Y'all spinning around like ballers. Seething with jealousy, I am.
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:26 am

A few thoughts:

- Definitely some familiar animations, a few that don't look so great, but also some really nice ones as well. The hand-offs are looking good, and I liked that floater by Curry.
- Overall, I'm fine with the aesthetics and visual style. As with the animations, that's not to say there can't be further improvement, but I feel they're quite satisfactory at worst.
- Really liking the off-ball movement, players trying to get open, coming over to set screens, and getting into position. Definitely an improvement on NBA Live 16.
- I'm kind of torn on using in-game faces as portraits. The faces are at a point where it's not a bad idea, but I still kind of like real photographs there. At least this way, the jerseys will change in Dynasty.
- I'm liking that new shot meter, with more feedback on the optimal release point. Very glad to see it on free throws, too; in the absence of the old T-Meter or something new entirely, that's good to see.

The other thing I'm hearing from people who have hands-on time with the game is that it's more responsive and whatnot, so even if there are some things that don't look so good, the game feels good in your hands. That's very encouraging; while NBA Live 15 was a big step up on NBA Live 14 in that regard, and once you got used to the foot planting and momentum the game did feel better yet again, there was still room for improvement. The game's looking pretty good, sounding pretty good, and appears to still be on the right track. I'm excited. (Y)
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Onegreatrace on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:55 am

pc or bust
Onegreatrace

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:58 am

I guess it'll be bust for you then, as it's PS4 and X1 only.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:28 pm

Just added the YouTube version to the first post.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:24 pm

The sweat texture used looks like from 2k11
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Kevin on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:49 pm

My thoughts:
- I already see that dreaded animation that I hate about Live when you try to go to the right or left wing and he just walks casually without even trying to protect the ball.
- The in-game portraits is a big no for me. Why can't they just use the ESPN ones and edit it so that it looks like the players are wearing t-shirts and not their current jerseys?
- Was that even a shot meter? It looks weird but I'll probably get used to it.
- Really love the way they did the courts and jerseys. Detailed af.
- Love the dribble hand-off kind of pass. I wonder if they had that in Live 15.
- Thompson shoots the ball with a 29% success rate. Luck?
- I don't know if I've seen that black line that indicates who you're guarding in Live 15. Is that a new feature?

I just hope the controls are now responsive and that they fixed the MyCareer Mode of Live 16.
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Dribble hand-offs and that black line weren't in NBA Live 15. That does appear to be the new shot meter. As I said, I like the fact it gives us more information this year. I expect good shooters will make low percentage attempts on bad releases, as they should from time to time. I also imagine that the return of gameplay sliders will give us some measure of control over that...I certainly hope so, as that would be a key area to tweak, in terms of both realism and difficulty adjustments.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby JBulls on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:14 pm

What exactly does live motion supposedly do? I Still see a lot of those old unnatural/awkward looking animations.
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:19 pm

It also incorporates physics/collisions, and off-ball AI.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Murat on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:20 pm

The gameplay looks nice. Graphics are awesome.

If I buy PS4, this will be probably my first game.
this year, again...
Murat
I wanted you so bad, dear custom title
Contributor

Postby mp3 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 pm

As a roster guy I like the fact that they appear to show a virtual face of the player instead of a real life portrait like last year so I am hoping that if you make a custom roster you won't end up with loads of players with that faceless portrait.
mp3

Postby big-shot-ROB on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:45 am

The gameplay still leaves a lot to desire. Player movement is awfull, they look like they were on an ice rink. The animations continue to look bad and not realistc. On the other hand 2K seems to continue his methods of "give me your money bitches" and not give a fuck about the community, so even though live is still far away from 2k when it comes to gameplay, I think in 1 or 2 years I'll be on his bandwagon list.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:09 am

big-shot-ROB wrote:The gameplay still leaves a lot to desire. Player movement is awfull, they look like they were on an ice rink. The animations continue to look bad and not realistc.

This is a typical comment from Live haters who just won't give the game a chance. The video clearly shows good foot planting, new cutting and dribble hand-off animations and it's "awfull" even though it's an improvement over Live 15.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:16 pm

I loathe player portraits. CFs for the win.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:25 pm

I definitely do see the value in them, especially now that the faces do look far more realistic than they did ten years ago (despite all the cries of Live having "PS2 graphics"). I guess what I'd really like is the 2D/3D portrait option we had in NBA Live 99-2001. ;)

Andrew
Administrator

Postby big-shot-ROB on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:07 pm

Qballer wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:The gameplay still leaves a lot to desire. Player movement is awfull, they look like they were on an ice rink. The animations continue to look bad and not realistc.

This is a typical comment from Live haters who just won't give the game a chance. The video clearly shows good foot planting, new cutting and dribble hand-off animations and it's "awfull" even though it's an improvement over Live 15.

I give them a chance, all Im saying is this still looks live 09 when it comes to gameplay. I understand you really like Live, but you have to be able to see the bad things in i.
big-shot-ROB

Postby mp3 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:04 pm

I can see the point the Big-Shot-Rob is trying to make, I noticed a couple of glitches from the game play I saw but the devs do still have 3 months to get it straight and it is really a very early version of the game as well.
mp3

Postby big-shot-ROB on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:21 pm

The thing they clearly need to do is import the view of replay into the actual game. The graphics look amazing, but we only get to see them half of the game on cut scenes, because it seems that in the camera view the graphics get lowered, maybe because they want to make the game sustaintable when it comes to RAM?
big-shot-ROB

Postby Cpt(K) on Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:52 am

They need to fix clipping with the Jerseys before release, but I didn't notice any clipping with the jackets on. They also definitely need to do away with some of those recycled animations - I will probably by the game, but I don't want to feel remorse after playing it.

I suppose skipping 14 and going to 15 was good because it was almost a fresh experience from EA Sports, but I really would hate it if they reused almost all the animations from their last release. Especially that awful sprinting animation the ball-handler used at full-speed. There had better be more variation between running animations too, or in general - emphasis on animation categories that we'll see constantly in gameplay.

Nothing disappoints me more than seeing the same animation again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again . . . without a single variation to mix things up. Live isn't only guilty of that - 2k Sports is too but at least they appear to change each year in some relatively good capacity.

Those pause menu shots looked awful, and need a different look than Live 15 - or I may vomit from repeat-withdrawal.
Cpt(K)

Postby IRoCats on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:25 pm

NBA Live Presentation is the Best!
IRoCats

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:29 pm

For what it's worth, I'm reliably informed that an older build was on display at E3. Take that however you will, but on top of having a couple of months left to polish, what was at E3 wasn't as new as what's being worked on in the studio right now. Granted, I'd be surprised if all the animations were replaced, but again, that wasn't close to the final build.

Cpt(K) wrote:Those pause menu shots looked awful, and need a different look than Live 15 - or I may vomit from repeat-withdrawal.

Really? I quite liked NBA Live 15's menus. I didn't find anything about them to be particularly ugly, and they're easy to navigate.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:19 pm

Andrew wrote:
Cpt(K) wrote:Those pause menu shots looked awful, and need a different look than Live 15 - or I may vomit from repeat-withdrawal.

Really? I quite liked NBA Live 15's menus. I didn't find anything about them to be particularly ugly, and they're easy to navigate.

It's the same menu system as FIFA, not sure about Madden. It's very visual which is nice compared to your traditional list style menu
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cpt(K) on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:19 am

Well it is not a horrible display, and it is certainly easy to navigate, but I'm just anticipating something different - to catch up they should really focus on bringing their next release as a literally different game than their last. Aesthetic-wise anyway, I mean they have a good start - I just think changing their menus each release would be a good thing. Don't get me wrong the gameplay is more essential, but I'd like to see a different or variant design - not just the cover player.
Cpt(K)

Postby [Q] on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:48 am

Cpt(K) wrote:They need to fix clipping with the Jerseys before release, but I didn't notice any clipping with the jackets on. They also definitely need to do away with some of those recycled animations - I will probably by the game, but I don't want to feel remorse after playing it.

so you expect only all new animations every year? If that were the case, then people would complain about seeing the same animations over and over again
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:10 am

I don't mind them sticking with the same menus as long as they're working. That's what they did for most of the last two generations, it's also what 2K's done (barring a couple of re-designs). As long as they're functioning well, there's no need for major overhauls, in my opinion.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:24 pm

The menu screens were easy to use imo there was no time delay once hitting the button.

I'd rather they put more time into the actual game itself than spend time putting in a whole new menu system.
mp3

Postby JBulls on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Is it just me or has the brightness in the stadium been dimmed? It seems as dark as 2K15 to me :/
JBulls

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:41 am

Menus are great. Dedicate the time, manpower, and resources to gameplay. Excited to see more previews.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Anybody noticed the spot-on Klay sig shot?
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Maverick on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:56 am

Don't know whether to hate 2K for raising the bar too high or hate EA for being incompetent. I guess they tried. I really want Live to strive and meet 2K on top. I was a BIG fan of Live when I was a kid. From Live 98 (PS1) to Live 2008 (PC) and met 2K9 (PS3/PC). After that, the game's over. I went all-in for 2K.
Maverick
for Life

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:05 am

Did a noticeable game play comparison video with the IGN footage and Live 15 footage. You can see the game is being improved.

Video:

phpBB [video]
Youtube.com/ThaLiveKing
Twitter: @ThaLiveKing
Facebook.com/ThaLiveKing
ThaLiveKing

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:06 am

JBulls wrote:Is it just me or has the brightness in the stadium been dimmed? It seems as dark as 2K15 to me :/

Yeah, they fully went 2K lighting, and made the lighting a bit softer
Youtube.com/ThaLiveKing
Twitter: @ThaLiveKing
Facebook.com/ThaLiveKing
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:50 am

Maverick wrote:Don't know whether to hate 2K for raising the bar too high or hate EA for being incompetent. I guess they tried. I really want Live to strive and meet 2K on top.

Not going to happen overnight, and they are improving.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Maverick on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:07 pm

Andrew wrote:
Maverick wrote:Don't know whether to hate 2K for raising the bar too high or hate EA for being incompetent. I guess they tried. I really want Live to strive and meet 2K on top.

Not going to happen overnight, and they are improving.

Yes, I know. I'm faithful. It's just frustrating though. Can't wait for the time when we can't decide which one's better anymore.
Maverick
for Life

Postby skoadam on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:51 am

I still dont like EA animations, just dont...i still see stick in player ass.
But to be fair we must agree that improvement is there and im happy because of this, 2k must be under pressure all the time.
ImageImage

URB WHERE SIM HAPPENS [34 Complete Seasons Mods] DOWNLOAD HERE

2017/2018 2016/2017 2015/2016
2014/2015 2013/2014 2012/2013 2011/2012 2010/2011
2009/2010 2008/2009 2007/2008 2006/2007 2005/2006
2004/2005 2003/2004 2002/2003 2001/2002 2000/2001
1999/2000 1998/1999 1997/1998 1996/1997 1995/1996
1994/1995 1993/1994 1992/1993 1991/1992 1990/1991
1989/1990 1988/1989 1987/1988 1986/1987 1985/1986
1984/1985

ImageLike it? Motivate me for more
skoadam
U R Basketball - Where Sim Happens
Contributor

Postby Cpt(K) on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:43 pm

[Q] wrote:
Cpt(K) wrote:They need to fix clipping with the Jerseys before release, but I didn't notice any clipping with the jackets on. They also definitely need to do away with some of those recycled animations - I will probably by the game, but I don't want to feel remorse after playing it.

so you expect only all new animations every year? If that were the case, then people would complain about seeing the same animations over and over again

I don't expect a complete revamp of animations, but I would hope developers are going to keep improving the variety of fluid animations.
Cpt(K)

Postby Lagoa on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:53 am

Give a chance??

So guys, Faces are great, menus are great, but it´s about the MAIN game right? GAMEPLAY"

...it´s terrible! Be real, look Curry movements, its TERRIBLE, looks like old NBA Live 08 for PC. It´s bad if we compare with old 2k´s like 2k10/2k11...compare with actual gen 2k its just a JOKE.

I hope EA back to make nice basketball games some day. :(
Sorry my Bad English
Lagoa

Postby JBulls on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:42 am

I honestly don't think the animations problem is going to be fixed any time soon.

Especially now that they've essentially claimed that it's no longer a problem.
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:23 am

When did they say that?

Andrew
Administrator

Postby JBulls on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:37 am

Their official live 16 page says "best in class animation" somewhere.
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:46 am

It does, but that's not to say they won't look to keep improving it. I imagine they'll keep phasing out animations in favour of new and better ones.

Of course, while the look is important, it's also about the feel. While NBA Live 15 has some awkward looking animations, it also has some really good footplanting and feels quite good once you get used to the physics and movement. If NBA Live 16 is smoother, as advertised, it'll feel even better.

Andrew
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 16