What do you want to see in NBA Live 16's Rising Star?

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

What do you want to see in NBA Live 16's Rising Star?

Postby Andrew on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:53 pm

Since we have a thread for Dynasty Mode, I figured we should have one for some Rising Star ideas, too.

My main hope for Rising Star is that it takes a slightly different approach from NBA 2K...probably something more along the lines of what 2K was doing with MyCAREER in the previous generation. I'd prefer a mode that is deep and immersive as far as offering the experience of being an NBA player, but provides an alternative to a heavily story-driven mode with interactive and non-interactive cutscenes, 2K's current direction.

I like the current option of being able to select where you want to go, if you don't want to just accept going to the team you're drafted by. That's a nice feature for anyone who really would prefer to play for their favourite team, rather than taking the mode as it comes.

The "bounce back" games feature that was in the cards for Become Legendary in NBA Elite 11 is a nice idea that I'd like to see implemented, as a way of earning some bigger boosts. The milestones would give us something to shoot for, as well. I'd also like to have the option of different career paths; role player or superstar should both be viable options.

Immersion features I'd like to see include endorsements, fake social media, interviews, training sessions, coach/GM meetings, and the like. I'd also want to be able to keep full tabs on what's going on in the rest of the league, see whether I'm in contention for any awards, check in on transactions and league leaders, and so on.
This topic was moved from NBA Live 15 by Andrew on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:05 am.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator

Re: What do you want to see in NBA Live 16's Rising Star?

Postby Pdub on Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:25 am

I'd like to see options for your play and decision making that can impact your teammates, coaches, your fans and the NBA in either a positive or negative way.

An option to discuss or argue calls or call the officials out at a press conference or with social media. It could lead to a fine, and/or increase some chemistry or trust between coaches, teammates and your star. Or even get you a few extra calls if you are emerging, or some technicals in the future if you gain a reputation of arguing everything. MVP Baseball allowed the manager to argue balls and strikes calmly or emphatically depending on how quickly you pressed a button in sequence. If you got thrown out, you can no longer make substitutions, if you don't, your team gets a momentum boost.

Being able to ask for more playing time could alienate your teammates because it would cause players at the same position to receive less playing time, or the coach could lose trust if you are not at the level to receive that time, or he could give you the time on the court, and then bench you if you don't perform at his expectations.

Asking for a trade could lose you some chemistry with your teammates, and coaches, and front office, especially if they want to keep you there. Maybe some kind of mood setting for emotions like frustrated, irritated, anxious, calm, content, optimistic, happy. Maybe other players in the league are asked by the media if they want to play with your star, combined with asking for a trade could create rumors and chemistry effects.

Allow you the option to play the game normally(non-player lock) when you are on the bench instead of simulating until you are on the court. This way you can get to know your team a bit if you aren't that familiar with them, and even see what the other team is doing as if you are watching from the bench so you have a good idea on how you want to approach the game once you are subbed back in.

Instead of just dumping points into attributes, let our play dictate the ratings as if synergy is tracking our games. Have a base rating and an effective rating, with the effective rating being a temporary adjusted version of our base rating, based on our current play in that game or a series of several games, like a hot and cold streak.

Give us "training time" to work with assistant coaches on certain areas by performing in drills and short scrimmages to boost our effective rating and allow the player to increase their base rating by playing at a level maintaining that effective rating in games over a certain period of time. This could be a good opportunity to learn the teams playbook, how any branches or options in those plays work, and what plays will be called as the bread and butter for your star and your teammates.

Contextual commentary that can be applied to the rising star for greater immersion to their "rise."

Basically I want to see the culture of being a rising star in the NBA and the little things that can have a great affect on the path of a young NBA player.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cdj on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:24 am

I like a lot of the points already mentioned!

• Photo GameFace
  • Ability to use Rising Star online/competitively; Crew knock-off
  • Addition of NBDL, FIBA, Olympics, etc.
  • Ability to edit/select dribbling, shot, dunk, movement packages
  • Full NBA stats and records (game, season, career) for user to attempt to surpass
  • Ability to play for and earn shoe & other sponsorships
  • Ability to use current or edited roster
  • Ability to have starting roster with rookies on proper team
  • Ability/option to play as any player. For team-oriented users vs. stat-based users
  • Ability to compare stats, record, etc. vs. friends' Rising Stars and others
  • Ability to import Rising Stars of other users to compete against as secondary goal(s) in mode. (Perhaps option to ping server to always get their latest ratings & look?)
  • 'Choose Your Own Adventure' - Help user take path they want. Some want to be bench player, some instant star, etc. NBDL, FIBA, Olympics, etc. would aid in this greatly. Basically make each experience unique and customizable; no need for scripted experience. [Along with what Andrew said, if users tire of current path/locale, let them select or give a 'nudge' toward where they want to go or do next.]

- Personally, I don't think Rising Star needs to follow the scripted route of NBA 2K. The script is simply the vehicle used by 2K to make your created player the center of attention. Making the Rising Star the 'COA' should be goal in Live. There are plenty of ways to do this without a scripted experience.
cdj

Postby [Q] on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:40 pm

I normally don't play this type of game mode but I did play it in Live 15 to check it out. I really liked becoming a free agent and the ability to choose your next team but you should have the choice to re-sign if you don't like the offers. Also, when teams are making offers, you should be able to look at their roster. A few times I switched teams to become "the man" (after quickly winning a title with the Rockets in year 2 with Harden & Dwight) and was offered a "star" role, but the team already had 2 80+ rated PGs on the team and my numbers suffered.

PDub talks about fines, but should the game keep track of your current or career earnings? Should you use that to buy stuff like a crib/cars/parties/hookers/blow? :lol:
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Pdub on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:43 pm

GTA live 16. :lol:
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am

cdj wrote:- Personally, I don't think Rising Star needs to follow the scripted route of NBA 2K. The script is simply the vehicle used by 2K to make your created player the center of attention. Making the Rising Star the 'COA' should be goal in Live. There are plenty of ways to do this without a scripted experience.

I definitely don't want it to. I can appreciate the work that's gone into the new approach to MyCAREER, but I'm not keen on having basically the same experience as everyone else. I also found the personality of the MyPLAYER in NBA 2K15 very off-putting, which breaks the immersion and RPG aspect of the mode.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby 22cedric on Thu May 07, 2015 8:10 am

NBA LIVE 16 Rising Star Wishlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52dVcoe661E
22cedric

Postby [Q] on Thu May 07, 2015 10:36 am

There should be more contract options: player/team options, restricted/unrestricted, signing for midlevel or biannual exception, signing for minimum. Also, if you choose to test free agency, you should have your old team as an option if they want you back
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Cpt(K) on Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Rising star should have a regular practice mode. Where you don't have to leave Rising star just to figure something out. Also there should definitely be more unique sets of signature animations to choose from, and not solely dribbles animations. Provide more variety with player movement - no more duplicates, no number of duplicate animations should be playing at the same time on the court.
Cpt(K)

Postby Andrew on Thu May 21, 2015 12:56 pm

Agreed, customisation is key, as much as any other mode. That also includes better facial creation features (in addition to face scanning, if possible); I like the idea of shootaround/practice as well.

Andrew
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 16