Player Heads/Faces Video

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

Player Heads/Faces Video

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:16 am

Here's something that was recently posted: a sample reel of player faces that an artist (Charles Woods) worked on for NBA Live 16.

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZCVr-OWQ50

This is a sample reel of some of the players I worked on for NBA Live 16.

These show LOD0 (game resolution) viewport tumbles in Maya Viewport 2.0 using the DirectX11 Ubershader with albedo, normal and specular maps on the geo.

All these guys started out in ZBrush using photo reference for sculpting and painting before extracting maps for further refinement in Photoshop.

Average time per head from base mesh to the game-ready geo in the video was usually 3 days unless they needed hair cards/styling, which can add another 2 days.

It should be stressed that these are the assets as I delivered them, and further refinement and adjustments always take place prior to shipping the final version of the game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Player Heads/Faces Video

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:18 am

Still amazed how crazy those look. Listening to the podcast, and you guys said what I've been saying about getting the camera angles to really showcase the detail in the game, one of the reasons I love making these videos. People really don't appreciate Live's graphics.

Here's a screen cap of Lillard from my West playoff video in full detail. Would be nice to get a better close up of them. Maybe getting rid of the depth of field would enhance the detail?? Maybe

ThaLiveKing

Re: Player Heads/Faces Video

Postby Andrew on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:55 am

Exactly. Those are far from "PS2 graphics", but during gameplay, the detail on the players just isn't done justice.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 16