What's the easiest way to get free for a 3 pointer?

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

What's the easiest way to get free for a 3 pointer?

Postby romraptor on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:17 am

I've played the demo for a while now and I win most games on normal difficulty, but I do so mainly by hop stepping to the basket.

I assume some kind of screens would be the best to get open for a 3 pointer? Or is there some play that I should run?
romraptor

Re: What's the easiest way to get free for a 3 pointer?

Postby Andrew on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:11 am

Screens are definitely effective, but getting your opponent off-balance with hesitation dribbles and step-backs can also create space for a good look.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:13 pm

I have found driving around a screen set at the top of the key to be effective for getting sideline players open for 3 since their defender will leave to play help defense.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:21 pm

For me it's drive and kick or have a screen set/run a play to allow the ball handler to draw the defence in then pass to the open man.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby romraptor on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:59 am

Pdubs tip worked really well. I made 13-16 3 pointers. Played with Golden State though.

It didn't look as if my shooter was that much more free, but apparently the game thinks so. I even made two 3 pointers when I released the button halfway through the shot meter.
romraptor

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:11 am

Good shooters don't always need to be wide, wide open. Just look at some of the threes that Curry has made in real life this season.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby romraptor on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:27 am

Is there a way to force team mates to move behind the three point line when you drive towards the basket e.g. if it's a team that normally doesn't shoot that many threes?
romraptor

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:13 am

I expect that it comes down to the plays you're running. I usually notice at least one of my players getting into position at the three point line, facilitating some drive and dish attempts, so I've never felt the need to manually force a player behind the arc.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby romraptor on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:34 pm

By the way, where's the optimal release point on the shot meter? Should it be below the top dot or should it touch it?
romraptor

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:39 pm

Within the circle at the top is the optimal release point.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby romraptor on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Hm... but maybe releasing it just before the top in general would lead to a higher percentage than holding slightly too long at the top in general? Granted I haven't played the game that much yet, but the shot meter seems somewhat inconsistent.
romraptor

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:28 am

Nope. The optimal release point is in that circle. Check the in-game tutorial, and the percentage in the shot feedback. ;)

The thing is, the optimal release point does not mean a guaranteed basket. It means you're taking the highest percentage shot possible, given the timing of your release, the player's ratings, and situational factors such as how well you're guarded, whether you're shooting off the dribble, or so on. If you want to give yourself the best possible chance of making any given shot, make sure you're letting go of the shoot button when the meter is in that circle. Increase the odds by making sure you're open and set for the shot, and are using a good shooter.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:36 am

Actually, it could be possible for an early release to have a better chance of going in during certain scenarios.

It's a slim chance, but I am willing to bet, an uncontested early release will have a better chance of going in than a contested perfect release.

Of course, this is only something a developer would know if it were the case.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:03 pm

That's true, you can actually see that in the shot feedback. The percentages will drop the more closely guarded you are, so a perfect release with a defender right in your face may not be as good an attempt as a slightly early or late release when you're wide open. But generally speaking, you should be aiming to get the best possible release, as well as create space for yourself.

Running quick plays, I've noticed a couple that seem to be effective at opening up three-point shooters. Next time I play, I'll make a note of a few of them as they're definitely worth a try.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 16