Is NBA Live too "Light" ???

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

Is NBA Live too "Light" ???

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:25 am

Maybe it's me, but when I'm playing NBA Live 16 I feel like there's no force, you see the contact, but you don't feel the contact. I think this is something I think they should look into for future games. Maybe have the controller rumble or something. Pro Am is the perfect example also, a little man and go in and dunk over a 7ft player sometimes, and you can see the imbalance in that part of the game play.

How do you guys like the overall feel of the collision system in NBA Live?
ThaLiveKing

Re: Is NBA Live too "Light" ???

Postby TBM on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:34 am

It might be the weight of the players. In 2K, the contact feels good because of the foot planting and everything, so it doesn't have that floaty feel like it used to. And rumble would help also. Would be easy enough to implement.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:55 pm

Yes there are plenty of overpowering offensive animations that don't have countering collision animations with defenders in the animations path. You can see defenders just get pushed back or to the side. This was quite prevalent before the patches, but it has been improved throughout the year. I have gotten used to dunking past defenders and now notice that they get interrupted quite a bit.

It's still not where it should be. I think the devs don't want to have animations warp or snap into a collision animation just to give the illusion of contact like they did in the past, because they could easily do so by adding a bunch of bad animations in there. Contact animations are probably the toughest to implement as it requires two(or more) animating characters colliding from a large amount of context with regards to their position on the floor, and what action they are making at the moment. But yeah, physical defensive play needs to be addressed for 17.

The worst collision animation they have is one where the ballhandler travels. He goes up for a layup or dunk, hits a defender in the chest on the way up, bounces back down to the ground and puts up a wild shot.

As for feeling light? I think the game feels heavy, with an exception to those collision animations. Once you get your player moving it feels a bit lighter. In Pro-Am I have a ~90 speed player and am often the last person to get back on defense, all the while holding the sprint button. That's heavy to me. But once you are moving and you have a path for a layup or dunk animation, there is a good chance it can feel light as you fly past anything that ends up in your path.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:54 am

I agree Pdub. That contact foul makes me laugh every time, and sometimes a foul doesn't get called.

I just want to the game to have some kind of force, like if the game is an intense, physical game, it should have that feel, if its an up and down free for all type game, it should have that feel also. They gotta figure out how to balance that

I'm going to make a video talking about the player speed. They need speed, acceleration, and super acceleration for the speedy guys. 2K has an acceleration rating but you don't feel the acceleration in the game. Guys like Isiah Thomas have quicker speeds than most, I think its time these games try to get it in. It'll take work and more collisions animations, but its necessary
ThaLiveKing

Postby Beavis_5000 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:16 am

Pdub wrote:Yes there are plenty of overpowering offensive animations that don't have countering collision animations with defenders in the animations path. You can see defenders just get pushed back or to the side. This was quite prevalent before the patches, but it has been improved throughout the year. I have gotten used to dunking past defenders and now notice that they get interrupted quite a bit.

It's still not where it should be. I think the devs don't want to have animations warp or snap into a collision animation just to give the illusion of contact like they did in the past, because they could easily do so by adding a bunch of bad animations in there. Contact animations are probably the toughest to implement as it requires two(or more) animating characters colliding from a large amount of context with regards to their position on the floor, and what action they are making at the moment. But yeah, physical defensive play needs to be addressed for 17.

The worst collision animation they have is one where the ballhandler travels. He goes up for a layup or dunk, hits a defender in the chest on the way up, bounces back down to the ground and puts up a wild shot.

As for feeling light? I think the game feels heavy, with an exception to those collision animations. Once you get your player moving it feels a bit lighter. In Pro-Am I have a ~90 speed player and am often the last person to get back on defense, all the while holding the sprint button. That's heavy to me. But once you are moving and you have a path for a layup or dunk animation, there is a good chance it can feel light as you fly past anything that ends up in your path.

Just a thought but maybe your issue with being the last back on defense is a stamina issue? My stamina right now is a 90 and if I dont pace myself with the sprint button my dude will slow down especially in the second half of the game (Live Run).
Beavis_5000

Postby Beavis_5000 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:43 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:Maybe it's me, but when I'm playing NBA Live 16 I feel like there's no force, you see the contact, but you don't feel the contact. I think this is something I think they should look into for future games. Maybe have the controller rumble or something. Pro Am is the perfect example also, a little man and go in and dunk over a 7ft player sometimes, and you can see the imbalance in that part of the game play.

How do you guys like the overall feel of the collision system in NBA Live?

I dont think it is unbalanced that a little dude dunks overt a 7 footer in itself, however I think I do know what you are talking about. I think it is an issue with contested vs uncontested shots. This is probably the number one thing that needs fixed in Live right now. I mentioned in another thread that taking CPU's out of Live run is the number one thing that needs fixed but that is just my personal want. Contested vs uncontested shots are the number one thing that needs fixed as far as gameplay.

For example, I can close out on a dude taking a shot to the point where my face is in his nut$ (sorry to have to explain it like this) and I am actually making contact with him. The dude will make the shot and it will give me a minus one for my man making an uncontested shot. It doesnt make sense because there is no way I could have guarder that better realistically.

On the other hand, I have had times where I have been in the paint and a dude from out at three point territory shoots a three and some how I get a plus 1 for contesting a shot.

It seems like a lot of times if your line that points to the man you are supposed to be guarding is not pointing to the open guy you closed out on then it will be a uncontested shot pretty much no matter what and no matter how well you contest the shot. This needs to go.

I do believe these issues seem to be an issue with animations. It is almost like a certain animation has to occur to contest the shot and no matter how well you play d the shot will be uncontested if this certain animation does not occur.

Another cont3ested shot animation that really erks me.... Say i am guarding someone who is behind the three point line in the corner. Say the ball is on the other side of the court and I am kind of just outside the paint in a help side position and the other team does a cross court pass to my guy. Of course I will sprint to close out but a lot of time I will lose control of my character. It is almost like as soon as the guy I am guarding touches the ball I will go into this real slow, close out animation where he jumps and puts his hand in the air and he is not even close to the guy he is guarding. For one, anyone who knows basketball knows that this is not how you close out. I would understand if my guy was a little closer before he went into this animation (which sometimes he is) but sometimes it just does not make sense for him to go into that animation that early and that far away.
Beavis_5000

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:24 am

You are damn right about shot contests. Before the patches I could early get a shot contest in pro am. Now, proximity doesn't seem to be a factor if you time the button correctly. It definitely needs fixing. Contesting shots has been an issue since at least Live 15, because when they improved it, just being near the shooter could cause a miss. It could be anything from a proximity issue, to a timing or even rating issue.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try increasing my stamina and see if it helps.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 16