21 years of Live under my belt and here is my opinion of Live 16

Talk about NBA Live 16 here.

21 years of Live under my belt and here is my opinion of Live 16

Postby Beavis_5000 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09 pm

First off, Live's gameplay is 100% better than 2k. Year after year I give 2k a shot and here is the best way I can think to describe the difference.... In 2k, I feel like I really am in "The Park" but with cartoon like scrub players and sloppy play that is not even really basketball. In Live I feel like I am in an organized game where real life basketball IQ really makes a difference. This now especially applies to "My Park" vs "Live Run". Someone with a low real life basketball IQ can manage to be decent in 2k far before they could in Live.

I play these games for the best basketball gameplay simulation. And even now that 2k gave us an option to use the pro stick to dribble instead of shoot, I still cant play 2k over Live. And, believe me I have tried.

25 years of basketball, 21 years of Live and many attempts at 2k and I just don't see how any real life basketball player that wants to play simulation on a video game could go with 2k.

I am not saying 2k takes any less skill than Live, I am just saying 2k feels generic compared to Live. Especially when it comes to a basketball simulation.

If someone reads this and they are a real life baller but prefer 2k. Take no offense to what I say but imo you are just misguided.

NUMBER 1 thing that need improved imo:

1) Eliminate CPU from Live Run. Maybe a ready up feature similar to how Call of Duty Zombies used to do? Nonetheless, CPU players need to go in Live Run. Live Run totally blow My Park out of the water as far as basketball simulation and this would be even more true if we eliminated CPU players. This would simply add a bit more realism. There are many players I would take a CPU player over but having a full team of 5 is much more realistic, even if one or two of those players are bad. Whether I go to a real life park tomorrow or play in a league game, who has not played with one or two players who just make bad things happen? Anyway, since about 05 or 06 I have played mainly the4 "Head to Head" game mode and now Live Run has me addicted. But it would be soo much better if I did not have to worry about playing against or with a CPU.
Beavis_5000

Re: 21 years of Live under my belt and here is my opinion of Live 16

Postby Kevin on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:34 am

Funny. We have the exact opposite of how I feel with Live.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby TBM on Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:52 pm

This has to be a troll. I mean, you can like Live, that's fine. Plenty of people have nostalgia for Live and want to see it improve for the betterment of the basketball game community. There's nothing wrong with that. What makes your post absurd is when you say things like "Live's gameplay is 100x better than 2K." That opinion can't be taken seriously to me.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Beavis_5000 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:53 am

2k seriously reminds me of NBA Jam, especially My Park.
Beavis_5000

Postby TBM on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:35 am

My Park is sort of meant to be like NBA Jam. You are aware of that, right? That's why they let you pick all the wacky dunks and whatnot.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Beavis_5000 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:08 am

TBM wrote:My Park is sort of meant to be like NBA Jam. You are aware of that, right? That's why they let you pick all the wacky dunks and whatnot.

Then why would you say my opinion cant be taken seriously? My opinion is that Live is more realistic. NBA Live is more realistic to basketball right down to the dribbling control, the post moves and ect. It is not "wacky and what not". Live is far closer to a basketball simulation and always has been imo. I have no idea how anyone could ever play Live and then be satisfied with 2K. Mind boggling to me. I have feel this way every time I try 2K. 2K16 will be the last 2K I ever waste money on again!

NBA jam is arcade like and generic compared to Live. Just like 2K is arcade like and generic compared to Live imo. And not just bexause of wacky dunks but because of the overall feel of the game.
Beavis_5000

Postby TBM on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:54 pm

You seem to be basing your opinion based on My Park. Those wacky dunks aren't in the regular game.

And I say I don't take your opinion seriously because it sounds ludicrous. You're free to have that opinion, but yeah. It sounds crazy to me. Even 99% of hardcore Live fans would likely say that your opinion sounds bizarre. Andrew, for example, is a big Live fan, but even he admits that the game isn't on 2K's level.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Beavis_5000 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:03 am

TBM wrote:You seem to be basing your opinion based on My Park. Those wacky dunks aren't in the regular game.

And I say I don't take your opinion seriously because it sounds ludicrous. You're free to have that opinion, but yeah. It sounds crazy to me. Even 99% of hardcore Live fans would likely say that your opinion sounds bizarre. Andrew, for example, is a big Live fan, but even he admits that the game isn't on 2K's level.

Ive talked to a lot of 2K fans that switched over to Live this year. Several have went as far to sale 2K back.

imo the best 2K I have played so far is 2K15 but it still did not take the reigns from Live as far as gameplay imo. 2K just seems to be missing things as far as gameplay. Live just seems to flow more like a basketball game than 2K. It seems like you can actually use dribble moves and post moves effectively in Live.

I feel like 2K restricts me in the creativity department. In Live I feel like I am really on the court and I can make things happen in many different ways. In 2K I feel like it is just try to get an open jump shot.Fast breaks even seem bland in 2K.

I've watched many YouTube videos of prominent 2K YouTubers to see if it is just me and I have just not fully learned 2K but even when I watch it looks like the same thing.... Try to get as close as you can to an open shot but there is no ability to really create that open shot.

Live makes me feel like I am really on a court and I have the ability to make things happen. 2K does not bring this to the table in any of its game modes.

Feel free to correct and/or explain to me anywhere I am wrong.
Beavis_5000

Postby Kdre on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 am

Did this dude say Live is better than 2k based on the Park?

Kdre

Postby StyxTx on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:56 am

Kdre wrote:Did this dude say Live is better than 2k based on the Park?

[ Image ]

I'll go as far as saying Live is better than 2k, PERIOD. 2k is way too scripted and the developers keep adjusting things resulting in the consumers not being allowed to play their way (certain real life moves being taken out, for example). And they call themselves a simulation. Maybe they mean they are trying to emulate The Sims because the basketball part of the game sure seems secondary to clothes, shoes, jewelry, SOCKS, SOCKS AGAIN, and tattoos. It's really a sorry excuse for a basketball game.
StyxTx

Postby Beavis_5000 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:03 am

Kdre wrote:Did this dude say Live is better than 2k based on the Park?

[ Image ]

No, I did not say that. I said Live is better based on gameplay in general.
Beavis_5000

Postby StyxTx on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:11 am

I'm convinced that a majority of people prefer 2k because in Live you can't use VC or whatever to build a super duper star before stepping on the floor and that's the only reason. I love the gradual progression and the many different individual ratings you have to choose from. 2k's idea of lumping all the attributes into 6 category is ridiculous but it makes it a lot better for those who would rather pay to build their stud player (with good socks, of course).
StyxTx

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:59 am

I been playing a lot more 2K than Live over the last two months, mainly MyPlayer and I kind of get what you mean with that. A lot of people out there say Live is trash, but if you look at the majority of the plays called in Live, like the quick plays, you can see teams run the exact same play over and over again. Live's spacing to me is also better than 2K's. I used to play 2K for a lot of the 5v5 game play, but I'm doing that with Live this year. I just find it more enjoyable, especially with the sliders I put in. I'm not saying Live is better than 2K, at the end of the day it comes down to preference anyways, but if anyone claims that Live doesn't play like real basketball is fooling themselves.

The MyPlayer in 2K is better than Live, but I just find myself playing it because I put so much time in it, and I want to see how far I can take the Lakers lol. MyPark, I could never get into a game for some reason, so I usually do a walk in Pro Am game, which is hit or miss. But with Pro Am, you could be playing with idiots, and with it being up to only 21, you don't have to tolerate 4 quarters of BS to add stats to your record.

But for overall game play, 2K isn't light years ahead of Live anymore. If Live could get their game more precise and on point, and free up the ball, give us more control over sliders, clean up/remove a lot of animations, they could end up being neck and neck with 2K in terms of game play. Also, I've been seeing new animations lately in Live that I haven't seen before, so they're adding to improve everything. People just need to be patient

**Note, in 2K's MyPlayer, I didn't spend any VC on attributes, I built them from straight playing**
ThaLiveKing

Postby StyxTx on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:11 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:I been playing a lot more 2K than Live over the last two months, mainly MyPlayer and I kind of get what you mean with that. A lot of people out there say Live is trash, but if you look at the majority of the plays called in Live, like the quick plays, you can see teams run the exact same play over and over again. Live's spacing to me is also better than 2K's. I used to play 2K for a lot of the 5v5 game play, but I'm doing that with Live this year. I just find it more enjoyable, especially with the sliders I put in. I'm not saying Live is better than 2K, at the end of the day it comes down to preference anyways, but if anyone claims that Live doesn't play like real basketball is fooling themselves.

The MyPlayer in 2K is better than Live, but I just find myself playing it because I put so much time in it, and I want to see how far I can take the Lakers lol. MyPark, I could never get into a game for some reason, so I usually do a walk in Pro Am game, which is hit or miss. But with Pro Am, you could be playing with idiots, and with it being up to only 21, you don't have to tolerate 4 quarters of BS to add stats to your record.

But for overall game play, 2K isn't light years ahead of Live anymore. If Live could get their game more precise and on point, and free up the ball, give us more control over sliders, clean up/remove a lot of animations, they could end up being neck and neck with 2K in terms of game play. Also, I've been seeing new animations lately in Live that I haven't seen before, so they're adding to improve everything. People just need to be patient

**Note, in 2K's MyPlayer, I didn't spend any VC on attributes, I built them from straight playing**

Patience is the thing. The difference between Live and 2k, in my opinion, is Live is steadily progressing while 2k is regressing in some ways or at the very least are wandering around aimlessly not knowing exactly which direction they want to go with it.
StyxTx

Postby TBM on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:37 am

If you think 2K is regressing, there's no way you've played it extensively. Go play 2K14 and then play 2K16. It's light years ahead of what it was gameplay wise.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby StyxTx on Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:56 pm

TBM wrote:If you think 2K is regressing, there's no way you've played it extensively. Go play 2K14 and then play 2K16. It's light years ahead of what it was gameplay wise.

Believe what you want but I've been playing it since 13 and it is worse now. They have no idea what direction to go in. They spend most of their time putting out "fixes" to satisfy the whiners who can't play.
StyxTx

Postby TBM on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Okay, I'm done here.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Beavis_5000 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:27 am

TBM wrote:If you think 2K is regressing, there's no way you've played it extensively. Go play 2K14 and then play 2K16. It's light years ahead of what it was gameplay wise.

I think 2k15 is way better than 2k16 in every way. Looks and game play.

2k15 is the only 2k that even remotely took a decent amount of my play time away from Live.

In 2k15, I could go into a game and actually finish. 2k16 I go into a game and think "Why am I playing this when I could be playing Live". And then I quit and go play Live.
Beavis_5000

Postby mp3 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:31 am

I think 2k16 is the most complete game the team has put together but I also think that the nba live 16 is gameplay is the best EA has every put together, if only we could take certain parts of both games and try make the "perfect" game...

#nba2KLive17
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby [Q] on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:28 am

Regressing isn't the best word to use... I'd say they've reached the top of the mountain with no competition in sight so they've been able to build on and tweak a very good system (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) while adding in a ton of bells and whistles and cool stuff for hardcore NBA fans to add to the authenticity of the game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:31 am

[Q] wrote:

Regressing isn't the best word to use... I'd say they've reached the top of the mountain with no competition in sight so they've been able to build on and tweak a very good system (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) while adding in a ton of bells and whistles and cool stuff for hardcore NBA fans to add to the authenticity of the game

Except they are breaking things that aren't broken. Go try to do a spin move in or around the paint and see what happens.
StyxTx

Return to NBA Live 16