Player heights ... real height vs "NBA height" - feature idea

Talk about NBA 2K15 here.

Player heights ... real height vs "NBA height" - feature idea

Postby wombatvvv on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:38 am

Okay, so most people realise that most players are not as tall as what they're listed as (some are taller, most are shorter).

Charles Barkley was listed as 6'6 despite being very open about actually being 6'4, Alonzo Mourning with 6'9, listed as 6'11, Blake Griffin is 6'8, not 6'10, I even reckon 5'9 is generous for Isiah Thomas ... he looks more like 5'7 to me. Even the great Micheal Jordan was originally listed as 6'4 and 6'5 as a relative unknown before 6'6 (he may have actually grown though, who knows?). In the first Clippers v Spurs playoff game, Reggie Miller mentioned that Big Baby Davis was playing center at "6'5, maybe 6'6", despite the official listing of 6'9. There's been other, but much rarer cases of player's insisting on being listed as shorter than what they are, I suppose because they don't want to play in the middle (I understand Kevin Garnett refuses to be listed as 7' and Kevin Durant is more like 6'10 or 6'11 than his listed 6'9).

Anyway, we can be sure it applies to pretty much every player as that's just how it is in the cut-throat scouting world - trying to get every possible edge whatever way they go.

(NY Times article on this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/sport ... .html?_r=0).

I don't expect anyone to care much, just posting about it for fun.

The thing is, the game uses "NBA listed" heights. Even journalists are prevented from using player's real heights. For the most part this is okay because it's all relative. But in some cases the exaggeration can be pretty extreme.

I know detail like this will never happen as most people just don't care, but it would be a really cool feature (although taking the realism to an extreme), to be able to create/edit players with a "listed height" which determines their over-all height, but then in the player creation screen have a slider labelled something subtle like "height adjustment" or "perceived height" or something to allow player's who want extreme realism to tweak their height despite what is listed in the overlays etc.
wombatvvv

Re: Player heights ... real height vs "NBA height" - feature idea

Postby iamSamke on Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 pm

What connects this with 2K15?
iamSamke

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon May 11, 2015 11:50 pm

2k15 uses fake heights and it takes away realism I guess.
I Hate Mondays

Postby TBM on Mon May 11, 2015 11:51 pm

But the developers can't use real heights because the NBA wouldn't allow that.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Solaris Phase Two on Fri May 15, 2015 1:30 am

Dont basketball shoes give you those extra two inches? You want nba 2k with no shoes
Solaris Phase Two

Postby ThePointForward on Fri May 15, 2015 5:12 am

Some players get their listed height actually smaller than they really are. It isn't in the shoes ;)

Besides I really don't feel being 5cm higher than when I don't wear my bball shoes.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Fri May 15, 2015 10:32 am

It's an interesting idea, but I think just stick with the listed heights. Custom body models, wingspans and the like should be sufficient for the appropriate differentiation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K15