NBA Live 15 Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

NBA Live 15 Impressions Thread

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Please feel free to post any impressions of NBA Live 15 here. Please note that you don't have to keep your impressions solely to this thread; you can obviously create new threads to post your own reviews, or discuss certain aspects of the game in detail. However, if you're looking for a central impressions thread, or a place to just post some quick thoughts on the game...well, here you go.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Re: NBA Live 15 Impressions Thread

Postby Arcane on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:51 pm

Early impressions after playing today:

Solid game so far playable and enjoyable.

One mistake I keep making is pressing the O button on the DS4 controller so instead of setting a screen it lobs up the alleyoop pass which will lead to turnovers most the time.

Some typical "EA" animations but there are some nice ones in the mix

Menu can take some time to get used to trying to find settings you are looking for

ESPN camera looks real nice on some courts

Rising Star is OK, obviously not the depth as myCareer in 2K but still enjoyable for something different *(Please note only 1 NBA game in to the career so far)

Jersey details are nice with proper material look on numbers NBA logo still on front of Hardwood Classics like I think they should be

More to come over coming days
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby Lamrock on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:23 am

I hope the forum doesn't go down from all the excitement surrounding this release.
Lamrock

Postby Onegreatrace on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:01 am

Really enjoying the game right now, I like it better than 2k15. *braces for hate*
Onegreatrace

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:52 am

Lamrock wrote:I hope the forum doesn't go down from all the excitement surrounding this release.

Kind of the way it goes for a console only release, in a community that's traditionally been PC-oriented.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby fjccommish on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Remember when this community was EA dominated? After all, it is NBA-LIVE.com (The NBA Live Series Center) for a reason.
fjccommish

Postby The X on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Onegreatrace wrote:Really enjoying the game right now, I like it better than 2k15. *braces for hate*

As long as you're happy it doesn't really matter what others think. If you do want to provide game comparisons then I'm sure others would like to hear then please do so in the Virtual Hardwood forum (and not in the Live or 2K forums).
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby bigh0rt on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:49 pm

Hoping we can get some good thoughts in here. I'm considering buying it for PS4.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:31 am

how are you guys experiencing the day 1 patch ?
what did it fix ? did it tone down the unrealistic scoring, especially in the paint ??
because from my access trial the game played like arcade, FG percentages were through the roof as well as final scores were in the 120-130 range every single game.

no sliders obviously is the main culprit, if they at least gave us a game speed slider so we could smooth out the players speed that would have gone a long way to help out
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Played the demo on PS4.
Scoring inside was easier than I expected. I went 8-8 in the 1st quarter but was only up 1 because it was impossible to stop Westbrook inside.
I liked this cool animation where Lebron closed out on KD but pushed him and KD got pushed out of bounds but kept watching his shot to see if it would go in.
I don't know why everyone was complaining about how quickly they needed to release for a great shot release. It seems like the right amount of time in comparison to the animation so you guys must suck at this game. I consistently got a great release with occasional "slightly late"s which still went in most of the time. I got a few bad releases but those shots were not good shots, were out of rhythm, or out of desperation
Defensive rebounding was pretty hard. Gave up a lot of second chance points
The onboarding tutorial was really helpful too. It gave me a good basic set of moves I knew I could pull off in-game.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:29 am

I also played PS4 demo. Interestingly enough a 1.01 patch was installed to fix bugs. Is this what the full version got also? Would be good to know. I'm assuming this is the case as the bug with no half time show or quarter time highlights has hit.

Game plays alright at times, there's parts I like and some I don't. Post game is non-existent. Controls feel more responsive although animations are lacking still which takes away from simulation. In some ways it feels like what I would have expected Live '12 to feel like if they'd stuck with course during Live '10 but with better graphics. On the note of graphics, looks good in pre-game and cut scenes but not as good in broadcast cameras with exception for court which is top notch).

I've had some fun moments. Game seems more arcadish & looks to be a solid multiplayer option but I probably wouldn't use it for say a dynasty mode. Still no closer to deciding whether to buy yet. I need to play more of demo then switch up to 2K to compare to see if it'll be worth spending my hard earned dosh. At the very least the game is headed in the right direcion & if they continue to support it and have the same trajectory as they're working on, I'm thinking Live '16 will be a definite buy next year.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:11 am

Alley oops op. Unblockable on the demo. otherwise great so far.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby GeneralNuTron on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:34 am

1..when i come down the court smoothly or on a break an try to pull up for a jump shot instead of shooting in that rhythm they take a extra step to shoot which throws my timing off on the shot... that an, on fast breaks when i pass to a open man who running with me does the same thing that extra step before the shoot, it doesn't feel natural ...

2..where is the bounce pass on fast breaks to set up players or while driving into the lane...

3...also the jab step doesn't work, the players doesn't go for it, to create space.. and when i try to explode out the jab it freezes ( does a slow dribble move first) before going...

4... dribble moves work well to get around defender but not creating space for a jump shot...i be doing quick dribbles but none is effective for creating space...

5... on the pick an roll the weak side defender steps in on the play all the time...yes they don't steal the ball all the time, but they should be late on rotation some time or/and it feels like when they do step in why can't i pass it to the guy he left instead of the roll man..another option, the screen and roll play, the weak side defender who steps in all the time should be penalized by my teammate who should make a cut to the basket for a lob pass on weak side defender who leaves him

6..the defense recovers to fast, it's like i can't do a great play an set up a teammate with a wide open jump shot.. make the rotating defense make a mistake by over anticipating or badly timed double team...hints on where this should be (for screen plays an off the dribble drive help defense).....

7......when i do a dribble move an try an go pass a defender and they cut me off, i hit the dribble stick to go behind the back to change direction but instead it makes me run away instead of the behind the back move do other things entirely.

8......the release point for jump shots seems to fast i get a slightly late most of the time an i miss most the time..granted my guy isn't always on green while shooting, but creating space for a shot off the dribble doesn't happen...only when your a star player like s.curry timing feels right but non star players doesn't..it feels a little fast...i like the bucks, oj mayo, parker, bayless all there shots feel to fast an all of them have pretty decent shooting ability...

9......seems like a delay when i try to steal a pass in air or no reaction..

10...my counter to complaint number 7....when defense stops me from entering the lane i'll stop pushin the left stick toward the basket,then i'll try to do a couple of dribbles again but alot of times the animation makes me face toward the basline as i do dribble moves, instead of facing the defender.i have to back out to reface the defender again..hope that can be fixed..

11....signature moves with superstar players are too effective...which bringings me back to creating shot space with regular players it's very uneven they have no signatures plus signatures shouldn't be the only thing to create shot space...

12...i don't see the halftime show no more...
GeneralNuTron

Postby The X on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Played the demo a bit more. There is some stuff I like, quite a bit I don't. It does some stuff better than 2K & is okay for pick up & play. I'm thinking I might give it a miss again but definitely look to pick up for Live '16 if they make necessary improvements. I'll play demo a bit more but I think game is a little too arcadish for my liking. I really wish the game had even basic sliders as I think with them I probably would've bought as I could tinker it slightly to tone down steals and blocks. For the former you can use Kendrick Perkins to steal from Kyrie. May look at foul sliders & maybe it will help. I'm assuming EA will eventually patch to help that.

Anyone else notice that you can't run out of bounds even if you deliberately try?
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby GeneralNuTron on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:21 am

yea i tried an you can't run out of balance an they won't let you, i've brought the game an the blocks shots aren't that bad i score pretty good against hibbert,j.noah or s.ibaka when they in they in the lane area but it's not easy every time i think the balance is ok to me....

what i have a problem with is the players on a break don't fill the lanes... like they should want or expect a lob pass like b.griffin would do in real life.. an i have the tempo on fast they will run with you but won't expect the lob..

on pick an slip the player who slips to the basket calls for the ball as they slip i hit the lob button when there wide open and they don't attempt the lob dunk they just catch the ball an i have to press the shot button to dunk the ball..whats that about????

another thing guys miss to much for me on superstar level i have j.parker an it be yellow to green every time i put up a shot with great release most of the time an still miss his three is 76 ratin thats not great but to miss every time is crazy to me, especially when your using the shot system correctly...i'm in dynasty mode this is my fg percentage overall .513...102/199 shots so far but my 3 is .243...9 for 37....an oj mayo who is rated lower on the 3 pointer at 75..... an is .340.....16/47...

the players slide on passes while on a fast break when you trying to hit them for a three pointer they catch an slide a few feet, that throws doesn't feel natural needs to be fixed, that an stopping on the dime while coming up to pull up for a 3 it's a extra step or hop before shooting while your holding turbo,some might say let go of turbo but thats not realistic plus they do it in the mid range game all day even when you try and go in for a lay up or dunk they pull up on the dime give me that for the three as well... i think on the break they should catch passes an shot like they do when you call for motion..motion catch an shoot feels good... the footing is smooth and in rhythm, but on the break they slide or has a little hop before they shoot which some players do but thats kind of rare for decent to good 3point shooters to do cause they practice more on quick smooth footing before they shoot.. fix that plz

last thing there is a delay in the rebound button at times and on blocks...also when i go to steal a pass thats in the air the person i am jumps like he's going for a block intead of a steal....

an halftime show isn't work for me not sure why..........
GeneralNuTron

Postby Pdub on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:09 am

I noticed a general delay to everything. It's quite off-putting. It reminds me of NBA Live 10, and I couldn't be very creative because defenses recover too fast since the actions don't kick in fast enough. I thought they said they improved that for 15.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby GeneralNuTron on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:57 pm

PDUB==== do u have da full game or demo?....after i installed it, there was a lot of delay in the okc vs cavs game, but once i finished that game the responsive-ness was good on all the other games i played this b4 the day 1 patch.....

if u mean da dribble responsive-ness after the defender bumps you while your driving to the basket after you did a few dribble moves??..if so then yea i knw wut u mean i thought the same thing as far as ea talkin about the responsive-ness an havin the ability to not lock players into animations that gets u stuck...but i guess they just meant responsive-ness toward the dribble moves, hitting the dribble stick an the ball moves around fluidly but i guess not when the defender bumps u the fluid dribble goes away.

this what i do.... do ur dribble moves then try to burst pass him, once they bump u, u can't respond right away with another move... u have to come to a complete stop bust a couple of more dribbles then try an burst pass him again..once u get the hang of it u'll be crossing them up...i be killing them with jabari parker...it was even easier when i used a superstar kind of player....if you got the full game go to practice mode and do the one on one and pick a good on ball defender like tony allen to practice on...an do like i said after about 10 to 20 mins you should see what i'm talkin about...
GeneralNuTron

Postby zzcoolj21 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:40 am

I'll be picking up the full game in an hour or so. Will be able to give a better review after that.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Thistle11 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:37 am

Played my first Dynasty game and played as the Knicks against the Bulls. No timeouts or substitutions by the CPU. Pau Gasol fouled out in the middle of the second quarter. Am I missing something in the settings?

Anyone else had this? It's quite a good game but this would ruin it. Are there any injuries?
Thistle11

Postby Pdub on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:46 am

Just got the full game and it downloaded the two updates. Played a couple of challenges, and a game of Lakers-Warriors from last night, even though it showed up as today's game.

I'm still frustrated with the response and heavy momentum. At one point I tried to stop while moving forward, a behind the back dribble took me forward, but I guess I did that with the right stick instead of a step back.

There are many shot animation selections that could be improved. No reason for a four foot jump shot. There is a shot animation where your player only elevates . A few inches off the ground and it looks like a pull up animation but it happens in any direction, making it easy to block.

I'm streaming on twitch if anyone wants check it out. Name is P_Dub_
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:03 am

Thistle11 wrote:Played my first Dynasty game and played as the Knicks against the Bulls. No timeouts or substitutions by the CPU. Pau Gasol fouled out in the middle of the second quarter. Am I missing something in the settings?

Anyone else had this? It's quite a good game but this would ruin it. Are there any injuries?

I've noticed it too, seems to be a bug. Hopefully they can resolve that.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Pdub on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:52 am

After playing a few games I am getting used to the controls and overall timing. Here are a few impressions.

Freestyle passing responds quicker and the passes are faster than normal passing.
Playing a live seasons game I was unable to change the camera because the game settings are locked. Forced to play with the EA action camera. It's difficult to gauge depth and angles when the ball is on the far side.
My game crashed when I tried to play a ultimate team game.
I played an online game and my opponent quit with a one point lead after I grabbed a rebound and called timeout. I had a message on the screen waiting for my opponent to unpause the game, probably thinking I would quit, but I waited until it said "peer disconnected"
Baseline overhead camera cuts a lot off the front court when you are in the back court.
Espn and EA broadcast cams are the best, imo.
Shot timing is not as quick as some people think it is. It was very easy to learn and I had success online because I was able to time off memory rather than visually.
Shot animation selection needs to be improved. 4 foot jumpshots, no way to do a floater or runner, off balance jumpshot results in the shooter only getting a few inches off the ground.
Inbound receiver logic needs to be improved. They don't make any attempt to get open. I've forced timeouts denying the receiver(which means the devs put that in, knowing it can happen.
Pro hop and eurostep results in taken shots in certain situations. They need collision animations or something instead of forced shots.
Players may unnecessarily go for a reverse layup when attacking the basket at an angle with a defender in front instead of a collision animation.
Paint collisions still need to be improved (or just plain added)to deter under basket cheese buckets.
Layup collisions don't normally affect a shooters momentum, instead causing an animation adjustment, while the defenders and their arms just get pushed out of the way.
Play diagrams are turned off for live seasons with no way to turn them back on.
Freethrow timing is very odd for certain players, and the release point is when the ball is in front of their face and not at the pinnacle of their shot. I still got great releases with DeAndre Jordan.
Dribbling is less responsive than in NBA Live 14.
Alley oops are defended better than last year, and you can toss one to a player who is stationary at the 3 point line if they have a lane.
Post moves and shots are basic. I've seen a few up and under pivot type shots but haven't figured out how to trigger them or control them. Controller response in the post is very poor.
Athletic authenticity isn't represented well, imo. It still feels like you are driving a car that has to switch gears to get any speed and momentum is very heavy and will carry players and some animations, unless you wait for them to actually change direction, but then you have to build up speed again to get anywhere.
Visually the game is amazing. It animates much better than previous games, but the choice of sine of these animations needs to be improved. It's mostly contextual animations.
Hopefully they can improve controller response in a patch like they did in Live 14.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The X on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Andrew wrote:
Thistle11 wrote:Played my first Dynasty game and played as the Knicks against the Bulls. No timeouts or substitutions by the CPU. Pau Gasol fouled out in the middle of the second quarter. Am I missing something in the settings?

I've noticed it too, seems to be a bug. Hopefully they can resolve that.

Don't know if it will work but have you tried keeping subs as AUTO. Think I read that bug is caused only in dynasty mode when subs are MANUAL because it turns both human & CPU subs to manual, hence no subbing by CPU.

Hope it works for you in meantime until they patch it.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Pretty sure I did have subs set to auto, but I'll doublecheck.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Is there a way to bring up a menu to make subs on the fly? I played a game tonight and could not get Kevin Martin in on key offensive possessions down the stretch. Somehow I missed a free throw badly with Martin (an excellent FT shooter) with a great release :lol:

Also, played the Black Mamba Big Moment and subs don't seem to be working correctly. I even called timeout and the game just ignored all changes that i wanted to make in my lineup. and they also gave me 2 Jordan Hills when all I wanted was 0 Hills and 1 Ed Davis. noticed the people in the crowd all stood up with 2 minutes left in the game, which was cool.

I think the biggest thing they can do at this point to improve the game is to reduce the ability to score in traffic when driving from the perimeter.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Pdub on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:41 pm

The coaching menu is brought up by holding down on the d-pad.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maumau78 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:59 am

Got the game today for PS4:

GOOD
- Graphics is a very nice update from Nba Live 14, Accessories & Shoes Textures are insane
- Atmosphere
- Sounds & Music
- Net Design & Movement is great
- ESPN Camera for every Team
- ESPN Presentation
- Players models are good not great but good

BAD
- Animations are a Hit & Miss
- Passing while improved still looks bad
- All players seems to have same speed running styles
- Collisions while improved aro not even close to NBA 2k15
- Poor Spacing

Final Grade: C-

With a very good patch this could become a C+ or B- but EA should work hard on this game expecially on passing and some animations
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:13 pm

I posted some initial impressions here:
http://www.nba-live.com/the-friday-five ... a-live-15/

I'm still intending to write up a proper review but for the moment, here are some additional thoughts in point form, after a few weeks with the game (and some updates from EA's end):

PROS:

• Overall, huge improvement on NBA Live 14. Very welcome, very pleasing to see.
  • Game feels a lot smoother and more responsive. Has gotten even better since launch, in my opinion. Much less stiffness in the controls, for the most part.
  • Animations look a lot better than last year, and there are some really nice ones in there. When something looks good, it looks really good.
  • Visually speaking, a huge step up from NBA Live 14.
  • Player movement on offense is good. The Quick Action button is helpful, too.
  • Dynasty and Rising Star are pretty solid, more so Dynasty. Definitely worth playing.
  • The improvements to sim/trade logic in Dynasty are good to see. Stats are looking pretty good. Great to see the CPU teams give reasons for turning down trades!
  • The option to be traded to the team of your choice in Rising Star is a nice touch. I like the way the grading system is shaping up.
  • I like the expansion of BIG Moments. A wider variety of challenges, more depth to some of the challenges.
  • ESPN presentation is fantastic once again. Commentary is better, still some dead spots, but improved.
  • Some nice enhancements to AI; the CPU will sometimes reset the offense after crashing the offensive glass, instead of always going straight up for the shot.
  • When denying the CPU on an inbounds pass, a teammate will come to help out and avoid the interception/five second violation.
  • The right players tend to score the most amount of points.
  • Roster updates have been pretty on-point and comprehensive so far.
  • Freestyle Passing is very slick. Passes look great, and it's effective at moving the ball quickly.
  • Still a fan of NBA Live's general approach to the controls. It's great to have the on-boarding as well, and the shootaround/scrimmage options are very welcome.
  • Shot feedback/quality indicators are great additions. I'm OK with the jumpshot timing, but wouldn't object to it being slowed down a little.
  • I really like the collisions in the paint. Occasionally some clipping, but it's usually on the body/legs. Great to see the arms wrapping around the body, reaching for the block, and connecting with the ball. Hand/rim collisions are very well done.
  • Love some of the new animations in the paint, the wider variety of shots around the basket. The running hook may be my favourite.
  • Noticed that clear path fouls are properly accounted for. Can't remember if that was the case in NBA Live 14, but either way, I was glad to see that.

CONS:

• Still some room for improvement with animations, though again, they've made a huge leap forward.
  • Shooting percentages could stand to be tweaked. Layups are close to being a guaranteed basket for users and AI, open threes are a little too easy as well (for both sides).
  • Teammate AI is a bit lacking in Rising Star. Easier to call for the ball and make things happen yourself.
  • While Dynasty Mode and Rising Star are solid, more depth is definitely needed when compared to 2K's modes. Glad to hear it's in the cards for Live 16, though!
  • The removal of manual control over bank shots, bounce passes, and floaters is disappointing. It'd be great if they could be patched back in.
  • There are still moments where teammate AI breaks down, even with motion offense set to auto. Again, Quick Action does help though.
  • Still some occasional lapses in opponent AI, where they'll dribble out the clock instead of attempting a shot at the buzzer/end of the shot clock, even though they're in position to do so.
  • I love having the accelerated clock option, but it's a bit too fast (which doesn't help in some BIG Moments challenges). It'd be great if we could adjust the speed, or have a couple of setting options.
  • Blocks and steals are a little too easy; numbers aren't ridiculous, but a bit high. A bit of tuning might help here, sliders in the future would be fantastic.
  • Some "bump" interactions feel a bit exaggerated, and there are times when the CPU can stick to you a little too easily when playing a full court press. Not too bad, but can result in some cheap turnovers.
  • Although the game feels a lot smoother, sometimes there's a bit of a delay on crossovers and spin moves. Could just be a rhythm thing on my part, though.
  • I've run into a few random crashes, but not very often. I've submitted a crash report through PSN each time, so hopefully that all helps.
  • Customisation features are definitely missed, but again, it's good to hear that they're on the list for Live 16.
  • Phantom shooting fouls on jumpshots are a bit of an annoyance. Well, more so when the CPU seems to bail itself out with one. ;)
  • CPU seems to draw offensive fouls outside the restricted area. Can't seem to pay them back at the other end all that easily.

While there's still room for improvement next year and beyond, and a few issues that I hope can be patched, it's a really pleasing step forward from NBA Live 14 and I'm enjoying playing the game. I'd definitely recommend giving the trial a look, if you haven't already.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Pdub on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:30 am

On the inbounds plays, please mention that the receiver doesn't try to get open, and the passer will also call timeout to avoid the violation. Also picks get set contextually when the point guard is pressured in the back court while bringing the ball up.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:14 am

That's true. I noticed that picks would be set contextually in those situations in NBA Live 14 as well.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:58 pm

So EA improved the graphics and ruined the responsiveness.

Seriously, Live 14 was more fluid. You could dribble at will, change direction, interrupt moves and chain together others.

This year, they've created a slow, clunky game.

It actually makes me laugh the amount of new owners/players saying how much of an improvement the game is over the so called disaster last year. 14 played better. Simple as that. Those commenting on the improvement are blinded by the much improved graphics.

Yeah the collisions and physics are nice and have huge potential but it's all pointless when the game is sluggish and feels like every action plays out half a second after you've pressed the button.

(Late impression, but just reinstalled 14 to compare)
Phreak50

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:03 pm

I think it feels smoother, but there are still some issues with responsiveness. Spin moves in particular.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Pdub on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Phreak50 wrote:So EA improved the graphics and ruined the responsiveness.

Seriously, Live 14 was more fluid. You could dribble at will, change direction, interrupt moves and chain together others.

This year, they've created a slow, clunky game.

It actually makes me laugh the amount of new owners/players saying how much of an improvement the game is over the so called disaster last year. 14 played better. Simple as that. Those commenting on the improvement are blinded by the much improved graphics.

Yeah the collisions and physics are nice and have huge potential but it's all pointless when the game is sluggish and feels like every action plays out half a second after you've pressed the button.

(Late impression, but just reinstalled 14 to compare)

I'm right there with you. I dont believe 14 was much more responsive, though. Only when dribbling. You can tell it's an animation design issue because when you shoot it happens immediately and you have very little time to hit the good release point.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby aguifs on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:22 am

This game is sliders away from being great! If we had sliders to control tempo, offensive boards, field goal %...

Why the hell EA didn't include sliders for Nba live 15? They were so close from start challenging 2k15... Damn!!! I can't believe...

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun playing nba live 15!!!

Way to go EA!!!
aguifs

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:49 am

Sean O'Brien did explain why they've held off on customisation features (such as sliders and CAP) in our first interview with him:
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-ep ... interview/

Basically, they need to make some major upgrades to ensure that sliders are effective, and making some other improvements were a higher priority (hence no roster editing functionality). Fortunately, they're on the road map and planned for NBA Live 16 (as per the interview), so for now, we'll have to wait and see.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:30 am

Back in the day (live 02 or 03) time before sliders were introduced to the game we could at least edit the gameplay but editing players ratings.

For example -30 to all players speed to control the flow of the game, -20 to all shooting fields to lower fg%'s.

I spent many an hour doing that lol

At least the chance of players or being able to edit players is on the live 16 cards.
mp3

Postby mp3 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:19 pm

I know I am late to the party but here is my opinion at first glance of the game.

I've being playing live 15 on the ps4 for a few days and think the game has a lot of potential to develop into something that could really challenge 2k in a couple of years if they stick with some of the basics and just work on making them better.

A lot of the games I have played this week have being before the patch so some of the game play issues may have fixed as I only played a quick game last night but straight away I was able to hit a couple of jumpers and a 3 pointer.

The only problem I have with game play is that if I want to hit 3's I have to play on all star or lower, superstar is out of the question which is annoying because you may be able to hit 3's on the lower levels but the inside game is way to easy.

Clearly this is where sliders comes into play but overall the game play is ok for "pick up and play"

When you talk about rosters yes I would like to have the option to edit them myself which I know is coming next year but my biggest gripe about he rosters is that EA controls them fully but yet they still don't have all the player portraits for players that have being on the team all year for example Cleanthony Early and Travis Wear.

I only played one game online and the guy used back to the basket spin move cheese the entire game which sucked but the game wasn't lagging in any way and apart from the person I was playing against I think online works well.

Dynasty mode is pretty basic which I do hope to start one after the trade deadline roster update.

Stats look ok there but really don't know why they left out a Transactions and Injuries page for you to look at.

I simmed through a season to see how it panned out and played a few and players just popped up on new teams without any details of the trade.

Overall nba live is a solid game for EA to build on.
mp3

Postby mp3 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:00 pm

I'd also like to add that nba live wins in the controls battle.

Having the hop and euro step on a separate button away from the dribble stick works better imo.

With 2k when trying to pull off a dribble move or floater in the lane alot of the time this results in an awkward pull up jumper 5 feet from the basket.
mp3

Postby mp3 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:45 am

I've played a few full games since the patch update and I really enjoy the game play now that you can hit a guarded or contested 3 point shot.

Stats look good for players too playing on superstar.
mp3

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:37 am

I played last night and noticed a bunch of new animations. I gotta say, the block sequences are really, really good. I've stopped a few times to check them out on instant replay. There's some new putback dunk animations that are really cool too where the player hangs on the rim a bit.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:12 am

Yeah I noticed that too, didn't know if it was new with patch or that I just hadn't seen it my first week of playing.

They could of done with taking out some of the awkward animations like the almost horizontal rebounds or the same animation for shooting when level with the backboard.

I had a lot of them my first week playing with centers like Marc Gasol where it looked so unnatural and almost back breaking but I really think there putting together a decent game again.

I would like to see for the rest of the year better roster updates and in a timely manner too like the Mo Williams trade still waiting on while 2k has it on there official roster the next day.

Also not having portraits for so many players that have being there all year.

KD McDaniels... really EA?
mp3

Postby mp3 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:24 am

I can't wait till EA hands some sort of sliders back to us.

I was enjoying to game to a certain point but now I can't hit a jumpshot to save my life, even using the screen method I can get a great release on an open shot and miss with a good shooter.

The most annoying thing is that 99% of scoring has to come on drives which is just far too easy but when it comes to shooting it's near damm impossible to get open jumpshot or to even hit a guarded or contested.
mp3

Postby Pdub on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:13 am

It's crazy how the game went from one extreme to the next. When it came out, you could knock down jumpers in defender's faces shot after shot. When people complained, they did a complete 180. The shooting game reminds me of Live 14 when it was first released. It was difficult to hit jumpers unless you were completely stationary, and any off balance shot was a very low percentage.

They could use a slider to modify the shot probability between the user release timing or the simulation. I think it would be better than an option like they have for freethrows.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:15 am

Heh every drive to the hoop or fast break ends with me tapping triangle twice to automatically get myself a layup attempt to nullify that whole deal. usually goes in if I don't get bumped
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:24 am

That's it guys it's all drives and double tapping triangle.

It's taken all enjoyment out of the game.
mp3

Postby Pdub on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:16 am

And that right there is a huge factor that affected the entire way the game plays. Not enough deterring defense on inside plays creates no reason to take outside shots that won't go in anyways. I really hope they improve the inside defense for 16. Not just in the paint or with blocks and steals, but with positioning, forced adjustments, collisions, and help defense via collapsing, rotating/pre-rotating, and closing out.

That should open the outside game up, provided we can hit those shots once we take them. From there they need to make sure that isn't the only way to score either, by getting the defenders to rotate and close out. If that ball movement is created, the defense has to react, which puts you in the position on offense to make basketball decisions to find the best possible way to score, and we get to play organized team basketball with reads and reactions. That level of strategy makes you work for your points and defensive stops. Including sliders should help with the variable user base skill level as well.
Pdub
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:56 am

Inside shots are impossible to make but layups aren't subjected to all that contested/open logic so they usually go in despite being even more contested than a jumper in the lane
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Tue May 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Wish ea would make up there minds on game play, played my first game in a couple of weeks last night and couldnt miss jumpers or 3's I hit 8-12 in the 1st half alone.

Finished the game (on superstar) hitting 22-30
Last edited by mp3 on Wed May 20, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue May 19, 2015 9:41 pm

Sliders. We definitely need 'em in NBA Live 16.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri May 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Played a couple of games and some BIG Moments this evening, and I too found jumpshots a little easier than a few weeks back. While we do need sliders, and animations and responsiveness do need to get better, I did have fun.

Andrew
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA Live 15