NBA Live 15 Impressions Thread

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

Re: NBA Live 15 Impressions Thread

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:41 pm

The coaching menu is brought up by holding down on the d-pad.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby maumau78 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:59 am

Got the game today for PS4:

GOOD
- Graphics is a very nice update from Nba Live 14, Accessories & Shoes Textures are insane
- Atmosphere
- Sounds & Music
- Net Design & Movement is great
- ESPN Camera for every Team
- ESPN Presentation
- Players models are good not great but good

BAD
- Animations are a Hit & Miss
- Passing while improved still looks bad
- All players seems to have same speed running styles
- Collisions while improved aro not even close to NBA 2k15
- Poor Spacing

Final Grade: C-

With a very good patch this could become a C+ or B- but EA should work hard on this game expecially on passing and some animations
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

You like my works? Support me! Donations Link Below:
https://paypal.me/maumau78mods
https://twitter.com/MauroAnceschi
https://www.youtube.com/user/anceschmau78/videos
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:13 pm

I posted some initial impressions here:
http://www.nba-live.com/the-friday-five ... a-live-15/

I'm still intending to write up a proper review but for the moment, here are some additional thoughts in point form, after a few weeks with the game (and some updates from EA's end):

PROS:

• Overall, huge improvement on NBA Live 14. Very welcome, very pleasing to see.
  • Game feels a lot smoother and more responsive. Has gotten even better since launch, in my opinion. Much less stiffness in the controls, for the most part.
  • Animations look a lot better than last year, and there are some really nice ones in there. When something looks good, it looks really good.
  • Visually speaking, a huge step up from NBA Live 14.
  • Player movement on offense is good. The Quick Action button is helpful, too.
  • Dynasty and Rising Star are pretty solid, more so Dynasty. Definitely worth playing.
  • The improvements to sim/trade logic in Dynasty are good to see. Stats are looking pretty good. Great to see the CPU teams give reasons for turning down trades!
  • The option to be traded to the team of your choice in Rising Star is a nice touch. I like the way the grading system is shaping up.
  • I like the expansion of BIG Moments. A wider variety of challenges, more depth to some of the challenges.
  • ESPN presentation is fantastic once again. Commentary is better, still some dead spots, but improved.
  • Some nice enhancements to AI; the CPU will sometimes reset the offense after crashing the offensive glass, instead of always going straight up for the shot.
  • When denying the CPU on an inbounds pass, a teammate will come to help out and avoid the interception/five second violation.
  • The right players tend to score the most amount of points.
  • Roster updates have been pretty on-point and comprehensive so far.
  • Freestyle Passing is very slick. Passes look great, and it's effective at moving the ball quickly.
  • Still a fan of NBA Live's general approach to the controls. It's great to have the on-boarding as well, and the shootaround/scrimmage options are very welcome.
  • Shot feedback/quality indicators are great additions. I'm OK with the jumpshot timing, but wouldn't object to it being slowed down a little.
  • I really like the collisions in the paint. Occasionally some clipping, but it's usually on the body/legs. Great to see the arms wrapping around the body, reaching for the block, and connecting with the ball. Hand/rim collisions are very well done.
  • Love some of the new animations in the paint, the wider variety of shots around the basket. The running hook may be my favourite.
  • Noticed that clear path fouls are properly accounted for. Can't remember if that was the case in NBA Live 14, but either way, I was glad to see that.

CONS:

• Still some room for improvement with animations, though again, they've made a huge leap forward.
  • Shooting percentages could stand to be tweaked. Layups are close to being a guaranteed basket for users and AI, open threes are a little too easy as well (for both sides).
  • Teammate AI is a bit lacking in Rising Star. Easier to call for the ball and make things happen yourself.
  • While Dynasty Mode and Rising Star are solid, more depth is definitely needed when compared to 2K's modes. Glad to hear it's in the cards for Live 16, though!
  • The removal of manual control over bank shots, bounce passes, and floaters is disappointing. It'd be great if they could be patched back in.
  • There are still moments where teammate AI breaks down, even with motion offense set to auto. Again, Quick Action does help though.
  • Still some occasional lapses in opponent AI, where they'll dribble out the clock instead of attempting a shot at the buzzer/end of the shot clock, even though they're in position to do so.
  • I love having the accelerated clock option, but it's a bit too fast (which doesn't help in some BIG Moments challenges). It'd be great if we could adjust the speed, or have a couple of setting options.
  • Blocks and steals are a little too easy; numbers aren't ridiculous, but a bit high. A bit of tuning might help here, sliders in the future would be fantastic.
  • Some "bump" interactions feel a bit exaggerated, and there are times when the CPU can stick to you a little too easily when playing a full court press. Not too bad, but can result in some cheap turnovers.
  • Although the game feels a lot smoother, sometimes there's a bit of a delay on crossovers and spin moves. Could just be a rhythm thing on my part, though.
  • I've run into a few random crashes, but not very often. I've submitted a crash report through PSN each time, so hopefully that all helps.
  • Customisation features are definitely missed, but again, it's good to hear that they're on the list for Live 16.
  • Phantom shooting fouls on jumpshots are a bit of an annoyance. Well, more so when the CPU seems to bail itself out with one. ;)
  • CPU seems to draw offensive fouls outside the restricted area. Can't seem to pay them back at the other end all that easily.

While there's still room for improvement next year and beyond, and a few issues that I hope can be patched, it's a really pleasing step forward from NBA Live 14 and I'm enjoying playing the game. I'd definitely recommend giving the trial a look, if you haven't already.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:30 am

On the inbounds plays, please mention that the receiver doesn't try to get open, and the passer will also call timeout to avoid the violation. Also picks get set contextually when the point guard is pressured in the back court while bringing the ball up.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:14 am

That's true. I noticed that picks would be set contextually in those situations in NBA Live 14 as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:58 pm

So EA improved the graphics and ruined the responsiveness.

Seriously, Live 14 was more fluid. You could dribble at will, change direction, interrupt moves and chain together others.

This year, they've created a slow, clunky game.

It actually makes me laugh the amount of new owners/players saying how much of an improvement the game is over the so called disaster last year. 14 played better. Simple as that. Those commenting on the improvement are blinded by the much improved graphics.

Yeah the collisions and physics are nice and have huge potential but it's all pointless when the game is sluggish and feels like every action plays out half a second after you've pressed the button.

(Late impression, but just reinstalled 14 to compare)
Phreak50

Postby Andrew on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:03 pm

I think it feels smoother, but there are still some issues with responsiveness. Spin moves in particular.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Phreak50 wrote:So EA improved the graphics and ruined the responsiveness.

Seriously, Live 14 was more fluid. You could dribble at will, change direction, interrupt moves and chain together others.

This year, they've created a slow, clunky game.

It actually makes me laugh the amount of new owners/players saying how much of an improvement the game is over the so called disaster last year. 14 played better. Simple as that. Those commenting on the improvement are blinded by the much improved graphics.

Yeah the collisions and physics are nice and have huge potential but it's all pointless when the game is sluggish and feels like every action plays out half a second after you've pressed the button.

(Late impression, but just reinstalled 14 to compare)

I'm right there with you. I dont believe 14 was much more responsive, though. Only when dribbling. You can tell it's an animation design issue because when you shoot it happens immediately and you have very little time to hit the good release point.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby aguifs on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:22 am

This game is sliders away from being great! If we had sliders to control tempo, offensive boards, field goal %...

Why the hell EA didn't include sliders for Nba live 15? They were so close from start challenging 2k15... Damn!!! I can't believe...

Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun playing nba live 15!!!

Way to go EA!!!
aguifs

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:49 am

Sean O'Brien did explain why they've held off on customisation features (such as sliders and CAP) in our first interview with him:
http://www.nba-live.com/nlsc-podcast-ep ... interview/

Basically, they need to make some major upgrades to ensure that sliders are effective, and making some other improvements were a higher priority (hence no roster editing functionality). Fortunately, they're on the road map and planned for NBA Live 16 (as per the interview), so for now, we'll have to wait and see.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:30 am

Back in the day (live 02 or 03) time before sliders were introduced to the game we could at least edit the gameplay but editing players ratings.

For example -30 to all players speed to control the flow of the game, -20 to all shooting fields to lower fg%'s.

I spent many an hour doing that lol

At least the chance of players or being able to edit players is on the live 16 cards.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby mp3 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:19 pm

I know I am late to the party but here is my opinion at first glance of the game.

I've being playing live 15 on the ps4 for a few days and think the game has a lot of potential to develop into something that could really challenge 2k in a couple of years if they stick with some of the basics and just work on making them better.

A lot of the games I have played this week have being before the patch so some of the game play issues may have fixed as I only played a quick game last night but straight away I was able to hit a couple of jumpers and a 3 pointer.

The only problem I have with game play is that if I want to hit 3's I have to play on all star or lower, superstar is out of the question which is annoying because you may be able to hit 3's on the lower levels but the inside game is way to easy.

Clearly this is where sliders comes into play but overall the game play is ok for "pick up and play"

When you talk about rosters yes I would like to have the option to edit them myself which I know is coming next year but my biggest gripe about he rosters is that EA controls them fully but yet they still don't have all the player portraits for players that have being on the team all year for example Cleanthony Early and Travis Wear.

I only played one game online and the guy used back to the basket spin move cheese the entire game which sucked but the game wasn't lagging in any way and apart from the person I was playing against I think online works well.

Dynasty mode is pretty basic which I do hope to start one after the trade deadline roster update.

Stats look ok there but really don't know why they left out a Transactions and Injuries page for you to look at.

I simmed through a season to see how it panned out and played a few and players just popped up on new teams without any details of the trade.

Overall nba live is a solid game for EA to build on.
mp3

Postby mp3 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:00 pm

I'd also like to add that nba live wins in the controls battle.

Having the hop and euro step on a separate button away from the dribble stick works better imo.

With 2k when trying to pull off a dribble move or floater in the lane alot of the time this results in an awkward pull up jumper 5 feet from the basket.
mp3

Postby mp3 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:45 am

I've played a few full games since the patch update and I really enjoy the game play now that you can hit a guarded or contested 3 point shot.

Stats look good for players too playing on superstar.
mp3

Postby [Q] on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:37 am

I played last night and noticed a bunch of new animations. I gotta say, the block sequences are really, really good. I've stopped a few times to check them out on instant replay. There's some new putback dunk animations that are really cool too where the player hangs on the rim a bit.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:12 am

Yeah I noticed that too, didn't know if it was new with patch or that I just hadn't seen it my first week of playing.

They could of done with taking out some of the awkward animations like the almost horizontal rebounds or the same animation for shooting when level with the backboard.

I had a lot of them my first week playing with centers like Marc Gasol where it looked so unnatural and almost back breaking but I really think there putting together a decent game again.

I would like to see for the rest of the year better roster updates and in a timely manner too like the Mo Williams trade still waiting on while 2k has it on there official roster the next day.

Also not having portraits for so many players that have being there all year.

KD McDaniels... really EA?
mp3

Postby mp3 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:24 am

I can't wait till EA hands some sort of sliders back to us.

I was enjoying to game to a certain point but now I can't hit a jumpshot to save my life, even using the screen method I can get a great release on an open shot and miss with a good shooter.

The most annoying thing is that 99% of scoring has to come on drives which is just far too easy but when it comes to shooting it's near damm impossible to get open jumpshot or to even hit a guarded or contested.
mp3

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:13 am

It's crazy how the game went from one extreme to the next. When it came out, you could knock down jumpers in defender's faces shot after shot. When people complained, they did a complete 180. The shooting game reminds me of Live 14 when it was first released. It was difficult to hit jumpers unless you were completely stationary, and any off balance shot was a very low percentage.

They could use a slider to modify the shot probability between the user release timing or the simulation. I think it would be better than an option like they have for freethrows.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:15 am

Heh every drive to the hoop or fast break ends with me tapping triangle twice to automatically get myself a layup attempt to nullify that whole deal. usually goes in if I don't get bumped
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:24 am

That's it guys it's all drives and double tapping triangle.

It's taken all enjoyment out of the game.
mp3

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:16 am

And that right there is a huge factor that affected the entire way the game plays. Not enough deterring defense on inside plays creates no reason to take outside shots that won't go in anyways. I really hope they improve the inside defense for 16. Not just in the paint or with blocks and steals, but with positioning, forced adjustments, collisions, and help defense via collapsing, rotating/pre-rotating, and closing out.

That should open the outside game up, provided we can hit those shots once we take them. From there they need to make sure that isn't the only way to score either, by getting the defenders to rotate and close out. If that ball movement is created, the defense has to react, which puts you in the position on offense to make basketball decisions to find the best possible way to score, and we get to play organized team basketball with reads and reactions. That level of strategy makes you work for your points and defensive stops. Including sliders should help with the variable user base skill level as well.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:56 am

Inside shots are impossible to make but layups aren't subjected to all that contested/open logic so they usually go in despite being even more contested than a jumper in the lane
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Tue May 19, 2015 9:25 pm

Wish ea would make up there minds on game play, played my first game in a couple of weeks last night and couldnt miss jumpers or 3's I hit 8-12 in the 1st half alone.

Finished the game (on superstar) hitting 22-30
Last edited by mp3 on Wed May 20, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue May 19, 2015 9:41 pm

Sliders. We definitely need 'em in NBA Live 16.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Fri May 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Played a couple of games and some BIG Moments this evening, and I too found jumpshots a little easier than a few weeks back. While we do need sliders, and animations and responsiveness do need to get better, I did have fun.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 15