NBA LIve 15 Xbox One impressions

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

NBA LIve 15 Xbox One impressions

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:15 pm

Since I'm playing the game right now, I figure I'd give some random impressions

- Overall good experience. Beat the Bulls in my first game with the Pacers, with YG Trece in the line up lol. Overall flow of the game is good, game needs some fine tuning still though, especially with the passing, and contact animations. You don't get a sense of weight on the players.

- I had two suspect foul calls on me, 2 offensive fouls that really weren't. CPU intentionally fouled me, and there was no call, ball went out of bounds, and they got the ball.

- Off ball movement is way better than last year, with auto motion turned on

- Dunked on somebody with Paul George and that ish looked crazy in real time

- Calling plays is the same, but to call the sets, you just hold the D-pad and it brings up the plays, tap for quick plays

- Graphics are amazing

- Menus aren't slow, nice and fluid

- Timing is a lot different from Live 14 in every aspect of the game, from shooting, driving,

- Players switching speeds needs to be a bit better, when players get a breakaway in real life, they jet down the court, right now, you don't feel that sense of speed differential

- Under the basket moves, there's one where a player under the basket can extend his arm and some how score from behind the basket, it's kind of annoying.

- I wonder what the day one patch holds for this game, hopefully more improvements.
ThaLiveKing

Re: NBA LIve 15 Xbox One impressions

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm only playing scrimmage right now as the game is 80% installed, quick answer is this is what Live 14 should have been, I have no idea how they thought 14 was good enough for release, Elite 11 was probably better than 14 lol...

but Live 15 so far my immediate impressions are... sorry for the brief 2K comparisons but I just wanted to note what Live 15 does better than 2K

GOOD

- Player control is pretty tight, very Live 10 ish which is a very good thing (this doesn't mean all 10 players move on the court the way they're supposed to however)
- Graphics are very slick, much better than last year plastic glowy monsters
- Body types are amazing, a lot of players actually look like themselves unlike 2K15 where almost everyone is identical
- I love the simple animations like when your point guard gets the ball inbounded to him, a very natural animation takes place also while dribbling up court, looks extremely realistic... in 2K, your PG gets the ball does this extremely awkward animated 180 turn literally looks like a glitch, then pretty much sprints
- You can tell they really went HAM on minimizing the awkward animations around the rim, most of the layups and shots look very fluid and realistic
- Playing defense feels real nice, you can nudge up against your guy and feel like you're making a difference as opposed to 2K where you're just constantly hoping your guy doesnt animate in the wrong direction
- Passes are a lot more realistic and not awkward like last year
- There are times where it literally looks like there's real physics in the way the ball interacts with the hoop

BAD

- Absolutely no chance of making this a simulation, it's full blown arcade, the only thing that makes it look like a simulation is that it looks real at times, but no sliders to be seen just difficulty settings which dictate seemingly only 1 thing... how good the CPU can cheat
- You can easily tell there are no physics involved by the way players interact with one another (Ignite?? lol) and this is basically the most important aspect of the game, and they fail at this... Like I said earlier, singe player control is nice and tight, but when you watch 10 guys on the court running around I mean everyone is still for the most part sling shotting from place to place, (Ice Skating which has plagued Live since it turned 3D) at least the around the basket type slingshotting has been greatly reduced, the dunks and rebounds, but if you beat your man off the dribble it just simply feels like you got lucky because your defender will stick to you like glue.. I'm assuming the CPU is reading your controller input so he knows the split second which direction you're pressing so its how you're basically being shadowed by the CPU, once again nothing to do with real life nor physics
- Game/Player speed still very arcade like and unrealistic.... if they only included working sliders we could have tweaked this one major issue
I'm literally sprinting turbo with Lillard while Ibaka is calmly shuffling sideways while standing up completely straight and staying in front of me without breaking a sweat...
- As nice as the rim and net looks, it sounds like they have 2 maybe 3 swish sounds, very deep sounding unrealistic one, as if they captured it in closed cramped gym with a lot of echo then put the microphone at half court, very very strange as a swish is a very important part of the game

anyway that's it for now I'll be back to edit further tomorrow after I've played more than just a simple scrimmage
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby goh on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Gotta go with my man Charles on this one.

CP3 already touched on the major issues. (Which is good 'cause the 2 people that know me around here would reply with "that's just ol' goh and he don't like nuthin'" :lol: )

No sliders is the biggest one. There's foul sliders but they don't seem to matter. You can choose shot and FT release as skill & stats, stats only and skill only. That's about it. Who makes a sports game in 2014 with no sliders?

The lack of physics issue and I guess that's the best way to put it, results in terrible rebounding. I also think the passing feels terrible because of this.

I remember turning off NBA 2K7 for good when Wang Zhi outran Lebron James on fastbreak. This game has a similar issue. Almost every should've been fastbreak steal has resulted in a contested layup because the PG, SG and SF all manage to run back in front of my players.

The AI in rising star (and consequently Big Moments mode because it works the same) is laughable. You don't get to pick a shot type for your player either. I made it through the pre-draft game and one actual game and couldn't stand to play it anymore. Especially since it froze up during the post game recap in the actual game. Have fun with that Damian Lillard moment. :lol: :P

Fouls don't matter because as he said the AI cheats. It's NHL 13 bad. I couldn't even really tell a difference in the difficulties. They just score when and however they want. Only get the foul if they want you to no matter how bad you get mugged. Unless they're behind late and then they entirely collapse. So far they've choked more than Latrell Sprewell and Tony Romo combined. Choke AI seems to have replaced rubberbanding here. I guess that's better?

It does look good and the controls are decent enough (sig dribbles in particular are fantastic) but the gameplay isn't there, not as bad as the last two efforts but it comes up way short. Which of course we could normally "we'll fix it with sliders!" but nope.
goh

Postby deihatein on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:27 pm

I remember turning off NBA 2K7 for good when Wang Zhi outran Lebron James on fastbreak. This game has a similar issue. Almost every should've been fastbreak steal has resulted in a contested layup because the PG, SG and SF all manage to run back in front of my players.

I don't know if it's fixed in 2k15 but 2k also has same issue with fastbreak speed for years.
shadowgrin wrote:Quick question: who is better in basketball, a black dude or a pinoy dude. If you thought or considered for a moment that it's the black dude then you're also a little bit racist.

End of any racist discussion.

Pinoy > Dallas Mavericks
deihatein
Like he never left!

Postby chicagoRAW on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:49 am

Decided to give in and get EA Access for a month so I can get the trial.

The game is definitely better than last year by miles.
Player bodies feel more proportional to the court, as opposed to 2k, where i feel they are a little too big.
Courts look amazing. Great reflections, textures, and the scuff marks are a nice touch.
Very happy with the baseline high camera, otherwise I don't know how the hell people play with the broadcast camera.
The game is fairly responsive, only thing I can think of, is that it's a little more delayed than I'd want using the right stick, but just slightly.
I like the speed of the ball on passes.

The lack of ball physics is really noticeable.
The shooting is not logical at all. It's basically a quick press, there's no build up. It doesn't make sense, but its' easy to get the timing on the release down, just release it really fast.
Transitional animations are really robotic. From dribbling to a shot is not fluid at all. Overall animation fluidity is robotic.
Too often I can't tell the difference between when a foul occurs and a regular play.
The jumping for a rebound animation is another one that I noticed. I don't like how they go straight up, as if they are on an elevator. Does not look natural.

Biggest negative things are the lack of fluidity and ball physics. If those 2 things get addressed the way I envision them, I think it would be really fun to play.
Like ChrisCP3Paul said, this is what Live 14 should've been. But, the game isn't terrible. I would actually buy this for the right price. Definitely optimistic for the future of Live, lets just hope they keep improving animations, fluidity, and physics.
chicagoRAW

Postby Mr LostSoul on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:12 pm

pros: Graphics. Presentation, crowd is back on track. Commentary is better. Defense is more apparent. Movement seems tighter knitted.

cons: Defense is still very weak. Often staying in front of a relentless driver will lead you into odd looking collisions that place you well--WELL--out of position, turning good defense into nonexistent. Physics seem to reward offense in 80% of the scenarios. Offensive options haven't improved much at all from last year. Stationary hookshots are unstoppable. Minimal variety in dunk/layup animations between players---like about 3 sets I've noticed: basic, big, flashy. While the crowd is back on track, it's a bit annoying how freethrows during the first possessions of the game seem like murder every time one is made to them. Needs more booing.

7.8 ova.
Mr LostSoul

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:23 am

This game is leaps and bounds better than last year's. EA gets an A+ in the improvement category. When I started playing it last night, I actually thought Live 16 can compete with 2K16 next year. Basically everything has been improved, but as always, I get frustrated by the semi-robotic gameplay and return to 2K.

7/10.

My sample size was demoing a bit of the Cavs VS. Thunder and playing ranked matches online with the Lakers and Spurs.

Pros

The substitution logic seems to be on point.

It lists your shot release ('too early', 'great', 'late', etc.) onscreen, for both jump shots and free throws.

The net is nice.

When you're dribbling the ball up the court with your PG he will just randomly do behind-the-back dribbles and the like. It is very cool and feels very realisitc/fluid/natural.

The graphics are nice.

Cons

The shot releases are WAY TOO FAST. Unbelievable they let this get into the game. You literally have to tap X to have a 'Great' free throw release. Same with the jump shot releases. They are insanely quick. It feels so unnatural. Methinks there will be a patch coming to fix this.

LeBron has demon eyes. He just doesn't look or play like himself. You can't do this to the best player in the game.

Agree with ThaLiveKing on the suspect foul calls. I've never really felt this before in a Live game. A couple of scenarios where I didn't think I touched the guy and they called a foul, kind of like in real-life. It doesn't happen that often though.

ChrisCP3Paul wrote:- Absolutely no chance of making this a simulation, it's full blown arcade, the only thing that makes it look like a simulation is that it looks real at times, but no sliders to be seen just difficulty settings which dictate seemingly only 1 thing... how good the CPU can cheat

I disagree. All of the ranked matches I played so far were sim.
[Hyperize]

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:29 am

cavs4872 wrote:
ChrisCP3Paul wrote:- Absolutely no chance of making this a simulation, it's full blown arcade, the only thing that makes it look like a simulation is that it looks real at times, but no sliders to be seen just difficulty settings which dictate seemingly only 1 thing... how good the CPU can cheat

I disagree. All of the ranked matches I played so far were sim.

Well if you're talking about playing ranked online matches where if the other guy is playing a simulation style game that's the closest anyone will ever get, so I see that point you're making, but even then due to problematic player movement it would still feel like an arcade game you'd have to be blind not to see and feel it. And if you really think a game... any game WITHOUT SLIDERS can be a simulation you're not seeing things right sorry....

If you notice nobody from EA is bragging about simulation this n that, only yappin they're doing is buzzwords like "bouncetek" and "ignite" and to make matters worse, they really don't mean anything, because bouncetek is just personalized dribble moves, (and a far cry from what they lied it was going to be which was ball physics) and ignite is absolutely nothing at all, it's non existent.

They seem to be marketing to teenagers and younger kids, they KNOW they screwed us loyal Live fans who been playing it since the game's inception in the 90's, and we are mad about it... it's a lot harder to get us back than it is to lie to a new generation of people who are a lot more gullible than we are...
it's business 101, which is why I ain't even butthurt because EA is in the business of making money and returns on investments, to us it's something we are passionate about and to some a lifestyle even, to them it's simply a business model
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby xevangz on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Pros
Game is fluid
Crowd atmosphere is amazing
Very simple like actual basketball
Nice graphics
Presentation

Cons
Shot success is too high
Animations aren't fluid (but they're much better)
Jersey numbers look kinda weird and over sized
Jerseys have a weird shape
Too fast paced (75 points with 4 5-min quarters gotdayum)

Overall Rating: 7.5/10
xevangz

Postby Vlad2010 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Live15 vs 2k15 graphics comparison (X1). Guess the from the first time who is the "winner" :mrgreen:
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/nba-live ... 0-6422028/
Vlad2010

Postby TBM on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:16 am

2K15 wins clearly to me, but both are great. 2K needs to step up their court game. The courts aren't even close.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lukek27 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Just finished playing my first game in the trial (in Europe we got it today), Cavs vs Thunder game 7. My quick first impressions:

- Graphics are great. The court looks much better than in 2K15.
- Animations are still quite weird, but way better than Live 14.
- I didn't get how to decently play in the post. It may be my fault, but I didn't feel the ability to properly play post defense either. And since my game heavily relies on post players, I wasn't able to fully enjoy the game I played.
- Shot release time is WAY too quick. You can get used to it, but as others have said, it feels like you're just tapping the X button.
- I liked perimeter defense, I thought it was more natural than in 2K15.
- The tutorial is great. So are the dribble moves.

In general a great step forward compared with Live 14, but the gameplay still needs a lot of work. Since the graphics are great, I think the devs could mostly focus on the gameplay and animations for Live 16. This game made me feel like the Live franchise has the potential to fully compete with 2K once again. A feel that I absolutely didn't have last year. So props to the devs for the great work they've done!
lukek27

Return to NBA Live 15