On the possibility of the PC version's return: Origin Integration?

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

Could you get on board with a digital-only, Origin-integrated PC release of NBA Live in the future?

Yes
74%
No
14%
Unsure; would need more information, or to see it happen first.
11%

Total votes : 35

On the possibility of the PC version's return: Origin Integration?

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:43 pm

We know that NBA Live 15 won't be coming out on PC, and we also know from talking to Sean O'Brien that a return isn't imminent. Sean gave us an honest answer to that question when we chatted to him in Episode #90 of the Podcast, and it basically comes down to rebuilding the brand and making it successful, then exploring what other platforms it can support. Right now, the target audience is on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with PC being a niche of a niche as we've discussed in other threads, but hopefully there can be a return to the PC platform one day.

Looking at NBA 2K15 PC, I think we can conclude a few things about basketball gaming on the PC.

• First of all, people do want to play basketball games on the PC. The interest is definitely there, though again, we're a smaller group compared to the console gamers.

• People do have the systems to run a port of a PS4/X1 game, or are willing to upgrade. Optimisation is another issue altogether, but thankfully, it doesn't seem like we have too many people wanting to run the game on Pentium 3 1.1 GHz rigs or anything like that. ;)

• PC gamers will still buy a digital-only release, even if they aren't particularly thrilled about a 40-50 GB download. I think most would agree that it's better than a previous gen port, a stripped down release, or indeed, no PC version at all.

So if a time comes where a PC version of NBA Live is feasible, what does everyone think about the possibility of it being digital-only, with Origin integration? Unless EA has scrapped Origin by that point, I'd suggest that a Steam release is not going to happen.

For my part, it wouldn't be ideal - I prefer Steam, and a disc version would be nice for those whose connections/download limits would struggle with such a large download - but if that's what it took to have a PC release, then so be it. With my interest in seeing a PC release of NBA Live again, I would prefer that situation to no release at all. I could get on board with it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: On the possibility of the PC version's return: Origin Integration?

Postby fjccommish on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:32 am

Unless they improve the game, I don't think it matters. I wouldn't buy NBA Live 15 on PC. The game isn't very good. It has good elements, but it looks rushed and unfinished.
fjccommish

Postby chicagoRAW on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:23 am

I think all games should be available on as many platforms as possible.

I have no problems with Origin. Wish I could have all my games on one client, since that's not a possibility, Origin would not deter me from purchasing a game. The game being good or not would be the deciding factor.
chicagoRAW

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:17 am

fjccommish wrote:The game isn't very good. It has good elements, but it looks rushed and unfinished.

2K15
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby TBM on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:27 am

On what planet does 2K15 look rushed and unfinished?
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:28 am

TBM wrote:On what planet does 2K15 look rushed and unfinished?

You must not live on a planet with an internet connection :wink:
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby TBM on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:31 am

Yet I'm on the internet typing to you. :shock:
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 am

I think it goes without saying that to want to buy the game on any platform, it needs to impress. To rephrase the question: If you were interested in buying NBA Live in the future, and you wanted to do so on PC, would Origin integration be a deal-breaker?

For the sake of transparency, I should also note that I'm not asking the question on behalf of EA Sports; I haven't been contacted about gauging the community's interest and feelings on this. It's simply a thought that's occurred to me when we've discussed a desire for a PC release of NBA Live, and I thought it might benefit the PC movement to have the discussion out in the open.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:02 am

Andrew, excuse my ignorance here, but why would Origin Integration be a deal-breaker? The only EA game I've ever bought for PC is FIFA, which I use Origin to run, and is fully customizable. So, what would make it a deal breaker? Maybe I'm mis-interpreting what Origin Integration is?

Anyway, from the videos I see, I would definitely buy it, as it looks to provide a better Arcade experience, and historically is an easier game to mod than 2K.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:05 am

I have seen people express frustration/dissatisfaction with Origin before, so I thought it might be an angle worth covering. A digital only release is also something worth discussing, since not everyone was keen on that approach with NBA 2K15.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby TBM on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:17 pm

I don't think for any NBA Live fan that wanted a PC release, that Origin integration would be a deal-breaker for a single one of them. Origin is bad, but if there's a game on Origin that people wanna play, they're gonna deal with the suckiness of Origin to play the game.

I voted yes, of course. Imagine DBF editing on next-gen. Mmmm.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nesa24 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:48 am

Hard copy is a Hard copy
Would love to play live on pc again but ONLY hard copy

Digital only make users less private
All men dream: but not equally.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
This I did.
nesa24

Postby TBM on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:25 am

How does digital make users less private? And private from what?
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nesa24 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:35 am

TBM wrote:How does digital make users less private? And private from what?

from all mate
if friend stops by to play with me we dont have to use services that origin/steam offer
insert disc and play is something special.. not gaming catalog that you use only connected

maybe in england-france-italy there is internet on every corner but not here

we are gamers but not catalog gamers but core ones
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
This I did.
nesa24

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:36 am

nesa24 wrote:
TBM wrote:How does digital make users less private? And private from what?

from all mate
if friend stops by to play with me we dont have to use services that origin/steam offer
insert disc and play is something special.. not gaming catalog that you use only connected

maybe in england-france-italy there is internet on every corner but not here

we are gamers but not catalog gamers but core ones

Where do you live, nesa24??

I know I certainly take having wireless internet everywhere humanly possible here in the US for granted.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby nesa24 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:40 am

bigh0rt wrote:Where do you live, nesa24??

I know I certainly take having wireless internet everywhere humanly possible here in the US for granted.

Serbia mate
This I did.
nesa24

Postby chicagoRAW on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 am

One of the main reasons for not releasing on PC, true or not, is that the market is not big enough for certain games, so it's not worth the manufacturing cost. This is where digital content should, in theory, compensate for that. If you want games on PC, you should be happy that there is a way for the developers to get a game out without incurring those costs. Whatever issues you have with digital content, I think it certainly is better than the alternative of no game at all.
chicagoRAW

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:55 am

chicagoRAW wrote:One of the main reasons for not releasing on PC, true or not, is that the market is not big enough for certain games, so it's not worth the manufacturing cost. This is where digital content should, in theory, compensate for that. If you want games on PC, you should be happy that there is a way for the developers to get a game out without incurring those costs. Whatever issues you have with digital content, I think it certainly is better than the alternative of no game at all.

Agreed. I actually find myself preferring to buy digitally these days, now that I have a better Internet connection and larger download limit than I used to.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 am

Origin is fine. Too many people whinge simply because they want all of their games in the one place but that is not a valid argument as to why Origin sucks.

It loads quicker and runs smoother than Steam, friends lists are easier to use and don't require a separate pop up window, it has a game guarantee where if you aren't happy for any reason you can get a refund within 24hrs of purchase.

Now in terms of Live wanting to establish itself again, I think 15 will have accomplished a big step towards this.

What Sean O'Brien didn't seem to acknowledge is that having the product on more platforms helps achieve that automatically. Plus, with the large modding community and general popularity of any PC game with great modding support, the brand would receive a huge boost from a PC release.

So in saying that, if Live 16 doesn't release on PC, I'd be pretty shocked and very disappointed with EA. Especially with FIFA being huge on Origin and now having the next gen version. It's a no-brainer.
Phreak50

Postby TGsoGood on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:02 pm

I would like to see live on pc, as I have not purchased a console since getting ps2, xbox, and gamecube. I love basketball gaming and I love what you can do with games on the PC. I haven't used origin before so I'm not sure how I would feel in that regard. I was disappointed about live only being released on Steam and no disc version.

Now that I am an established adult with a good job, I can afford to spend the money on NBA Live so I hope they do consider a PC release when they are ready.
Follow me on PATREON https://www.patreon.com/TGsoGood
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ

NBA 2K21 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=267&t=110608
NBA 2K17 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=225&t=102251#p1860681
NBA 2K14 TGsoGood Mods and releases - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=96056
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rise on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Don't know if Live is any good anymore, as it'll be very hard to top what 2k's been doing, but having a PC version is better than not having a PC version, Origin or otherwise.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Taddis on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:56 pm

I buy games on pc digitally only anyways, so thats no problem if nba live would be releason on origin only.
Porting games from newest consoles to pc is much easier than on previous generation consoles, so I think even small pc fanbase would be an extra for the franchise.
Taddis

Postby TBM on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:25 am

TheTud wrote:I buy games on pc digitally only anyways, so thats no problem if nba live would be releason on origin only.
Porting games from newest consoles to pc is much easier than on previous generation consoles, so I think even small pc fanbase would be an extra for the franchise.

Except you have to pay PC developers, so it's not like you turn a profit even if you only sell a few copies.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby atlwarrior on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:44 pm

How could anyone possible vote no? All of you who voted no are jerks :lol:
atlwarrior

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:19 am

atlwarrior wrote:How could anyone possible vote no? All of you who voted no are jerks :lol:

Probably because some people just don't have the internet connection to support downloading the game. Either that or they just don't like Origin.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA Live 15