Upcoming Developer Chat (NLSC Podcast)

Talk about NBA Live 15 here.

Upcoming Developer Chat (NLSC Podcast)

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:14 pm

If you caught our interview with NBA Live 15 Executive Producer Sean O'Brien in Episode #90 of the NLSC Podcast, you may recall that he offered to chat with us again and bring along his gameplay producer, Connor Dougan. We're currently looking to set that up later this month.

We've got plenty of topics and questions in mind, but since we've got some time before the record, I wanted to give the community an opportunity to submit their questions. So, if there's anything specific you'd like us to ask about, please let us know ASAP!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Upcoming Developer Chat (NLSC Podcast)

Postby JBulls on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Is there a new animation system in the works to entirely replace the one currently employed?
Is there a concrete plan for one in the future?
Is every single animation (new and old) in Live 15 motion captured, or are some of them manually animated?
Do you code aspects of the gameplay yourself or do you just manage people who do?
Why is there an enable/disable player movement (automotion) option in the game?
- Why is it disabled by default?
Last edited by JBulls on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JBulls

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:41 pm

When are we FINALLY getting a TRUE next gen game with a completely new physics engine built from the ground up, and not recycled bits and pieces spit shined dating back to the Playstation 2 era

That's the one thing holding the game and many many of it's features back, including most notably the horrible animation and feel of the players in pretty much everything they do....
ChrisCP3Paul

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I asked Sean this question on Twitter & I'm not sure he'll reply.

Will broadcast cam low/high be in the game and will it run in 60fps vs in 14 where it was at points, not even 30fps?

How many camera options are there?

With Ultimate Team, will Auction House work similarly like in MUT15? If so, then that would be a plus.

Dynasty I know won't have online unless they add that. Will they let you skip years like in Madden 15?

Gameplay wise, will there be individual player playcalling similar to how it was in Live 10?

Thanks for doing this NLSC!
Izzy Snow

Postby JBulls on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:02 pm

You guys should ask him questions relevant to his discipline. I'm assuming gameplay producers are only involved in on-the-court action? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I think you have a better chance of getting a clear (or at least less vague) answer if you ask questions that are as specific as possible.
JBulls

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:05 pm

It is going to be gameplay focused, but we'll see if we can get some more info on modes, too.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby 22cedric on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Regarding Steals in NBA Live

When you’re reaching for a steal if you’re using the left stick to move your player that’s when your player should really lunge or move to try to actually steal it. If you’re not using the left analog stick it should be more of a stationary attempt at a steal. I miss in NBA Live being able to use the right stick to steal with the left of right hand. I feel the right analog stick should be where you want your hands to go using the degree of angle on that you can sort of reach your hand out from like the straight up to moving it all the way down to the ground reaction and trying to disrupt the pass of the ball in that sense for a pass or shot etc. It should simulate better where your hand placement is if you switch to the left it should reach to the left if you switch it to the right it should reach to the right that makes sense to me in being able to play if NBA Live gets to that aspect then two thumbs up.
22cedric

Postby 22cedric on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Will NBA All Star Weekend return in NBA Live in the future along with the Skills Challenge ?
22cedric

Postby real on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:19 am

Does the game feel like and look like I'm controlling close to realistic humans?

Is this the best nba live ever gameplay wise?

How good does the arena and on court atmosphere feel?

Are the animations on par with next gen?

Can there be updates and patches to make modes and features more deep?

Will we see a patch for create a team?

Is create a player only for RS?

How confident is the team about this game creating a unique niche and regaining ground in the gaming community?
real

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:51 am

Based on the leaked footage, how much of that was the final product?

How long did you determine the game needed to be pushed back? Why not release the game on the 7th and have a day one patch

All the other EA Sports titles have in game sliders, why has NBA Live neglected to put them in? The tech is definitely there.

When Will we be able to save our own rosters locally? You guys have added pressure to build the game to a certain standard, let the fans be able to do that, so you can focus on game play and modes. If you want fans to follow your EA updates have a separate feature for that or put it in Live Seasons.

FIFA 15 is just amazing, the animations and controls and overall physics should be the standard for EA Sports games, how far away is NBA live from that plateau?

How much of the three weeks of push back is actual work time? Is the game being pushed back due to lack on staff or budget?

If the game isn't up to par at the later date, what will you tell fans then?

Is NBA Live on Extinction Level?
ThaLiveKing

Postby rayshawm1 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:48 am

Will we be able to upload our own faces to our rising stars like Madden allows for their connected career creations ?
rayshawm1

Postby Jaysavage95 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:22 am

Will the skills challenge be in this year ? And will there be a accurate bbva rising stars game with team jerseys and team shaq and etc
Jaysavage95

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks for all the submissions so far. Still plenty of time, so keep the questions coming; I am making sure that I note them all.

There will be some overlap in the submissions (indeed, there is already) so in some cases I'll be combining questions, or leaving them out if someone else already asked it (but then, you're still technically getting an answer to your question anyway), but we'll do our best to make sure that we get the info that everyone - or most everyone, can't please everyone after all - wants to hear about.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Sean O'Brien mentioned recently that the separate gather animations for footwork were removed and the original gathers for motion captured layups and dunks were preserved. Will we still be able to pass out of those animations?

Has there been any changes to the mechanics of shooting freethrows? More signature freethrow shots?

By extending the release date, are you cutting short NBA Live 16's development time, your time off between games, or both?

Can you now throw an alleyoop to a rollman on a pick and roll? In Live 14 it didn't work.

Do perimeter players make an attempt to get open or pop out on passes when the passing lane is being denied by a defender? This was cheese for steals in NBA Live 14.

Has inbound logic been improved so players come to the ball or do they still run on scripted paths that can be patterned and timed?

Can we choose different type of defensive contests for shot attempts? Like a stretching contest or a swatting contest?

Are layups finally getting banked off the backboard this year?
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Diandre3000 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:48 pm

When will we get the demo and also will there be in game interactive rivalries in future NBA live games to make it feel more alive. It could be players interacting with the crowd and players during the game or a taunt system of some sort.
Diandre3000

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:24 am

Have you guys thought about getting rid of the "Thunder Dunk" sound effects. It makes the game sound too arcadey. Powerful dunks sound like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uRN7iJ5CqQ) along with the roar from the crowd, overall will sound more authentic. Time to get rid of it!!

Has there been any type of quicker inbounding animations? The game would flow much better if the ball can be in-bounded quicker after a basket
ThaLiveKing

Postby 22cedric on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:43 am

Questions for Sean O' Brien & Connor Dougan

How far is NBA Live from reaching the plateau of commentary quality that NBA 2K has ? Is there a new animation and physics engine being invested for NBA Live to replace the old engine animations has been a real crucial issue for NBA Live for years I want this game to excel and have smooth , organic, and authentic animations. How is the animation variety, signature style, and emotion quality this year ?

Direct Statements from Cedric @youngced7 for Sean O' Brien & Connor Dougan regarding NBA Live

Thoughts on why EA Sports doesn't market NBA Live like they do with their other sports franchises. The obvious answer to me is money. NBA Live 15 is in a rebuilding phase which means the game isn't where EA Sports nor the Development team want it to be. Couple that with the poor sales of last years game NBA Live 14 and a well established competitor NBA 2K and it makes perfect sense why they don't spend the marketing dollars that they do for other games. I think EA Sports knows it's an uphill climb and truth be told, they have all the attention they need without advertising. Pretty much every single NBA gamer is well aware of NBA Live and are waiting anxiously to see what they have. I think when NBA Live gets to where it wants to be, either NBA Live 16 or NBA Live 17, we will see them compete more actively.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: Would you abandon your favorite sports team after a losing season? Would you cast them aside while they were rebuilding a championship team? Well this is a call out to all the NBA Live fans that have cast EA Sports aside during this rebuilding phase. Be A true fan and support your game.
22cedric

Postby JBulls on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:11 pm

With all my criticism about their gameplay and animations, I would like for them know that their graphics this year is the best of any sports game out there. Hands down, technically superior to ALL other sports games. Don't worry about what other people saying it's not as good as 2K14, that's just a preference, not a fact. From the stadiums to the to the uniqueness of character models and faces down to the shoes and laces. The most accurate representation.
JBulls

Postby DIRK41NOWITZKI on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:05 am

Does the freestyle practice take place in the same gym as Learn Live?
DIRK41NOWITZKI

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:36 am

JBulls wrote:With all my criticism about their gameplay and animations, I would like for them know that their graphics this year is the best of any sports game out there. Hands down, technically superior to ALL other sports games. Don't worry about what other people saying it's not as good as 2K14, that's just a preference, not a fact. From the stadiums to the to the uniqueness of character models and faces down to the shoes and laces. The most accurate representation.

Absolutely!!!
ThaLiveKing

Postby 22cedric on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:50 am

What does the NBA Live development team think about real player voices being implemented in a NBA videogame ? I think this would be a good idea from a immersion aspect but it shouldn't be taken into effect until EA Sports has the accurate technology to invest and make the best authentic representation of this aspect from a presentation standpoint.
22cedric

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:53 am

Can you guys add better transitions effects from the cut scenes, because it's kind of annoying, especially when the players freeze in an awkward position, It just takes away from the authenticity of the game
ThaLiveKing

Postby Patr1ck on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:11 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:Can you guys add better transitions effects from the cut scenes, because it's kind of annoying, especially when the players freeze in an awkward position, It just takes away from the authenticity of the game

I agree with this. There is no organic flow when a whistle is blown or a quarter ends. All AI and animations abruptly stop as a new script is being run, and the players either walk or warp to the next position on the court. I think it's fine for people who want to skip the ambient stuff and play the game, but people would like to see a more realistic atmosphere and that definitely plays a part.

Personally, I am ok with it right now because I want them to continue concentrating on the gameplay itself, but I would definitely like to see it improved in the future.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JBulls on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:27 am

If it's not too late, you should make them aware of this company if they aren't already: http://www.naturalmotion.com/

This is the direction animations should be heading.

https://www.ted.com/talks/torsten_reil_ ... anguage=en

I am curious if they have been experimenting with this sort of thing.
JBulls

Postby 22cedric on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:25 am

JBulls wrote:If it's not too late, you should make them aware of this company if they aren't already: http://www.naturalmotion.com/

This is the direction animations should be heading.

https://www.ted.com/talks/torsten_reil_ ... anguage=en

I am curious if they have been experimenting with this sort of thing.

Great observation JBulls
22cedric

Next

Return to NBA Live 15