Editing Game Textures - .iff files

Patchmaking tutorials for NBA 2K14.

Editing Game Textures - .iff files

Postby Stephen on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Editing Game Textures

When editing game textures, it's not that easy. Sometimes when you edit game textures, it matters to how many pixels your texture that you edited will look in the game. Sometimes random textures that reach the possible limit can affect your game, especially if the textures is a size of 150x150(Limit is 2048x2048) and it goes WAY over that size, the game will either close out nowhere, or it will ended up looking like a pixelated image(a lot of squares and random colors that you won't be able to see the texture you've imported to the file). So when you edit these textures, make sure your texture isn't over 2048x2048, because if you don't, you will have to restart again and re-enter a lower resolution texture.

Now, onto the tutorial to edit texture in the .iff file. The .iff file that you would most likely to edit is the global.iff. The reason why it's the most likely to be edited because the whole game almost runs with the global. Without the global, the game won't work. It will stop after the title screen disappears. So make a backup before attempting to edit the global, or any other .iff file you will be editing, because if you don't well, I won't be providing you a backup/your NBA2K14 will be like trash. So let's get to it!

REQUIRED TOOLS TO USE FOR IMPORTING, EXPORTING & EDITING THE TEXTURE
- 3DM Modding Tool(Recommended)/NBA2kxM Tool(For Decompressing, but not necessary at the time)
- Photoshop, GIMP 2(Latest version or any version as long as it's 2.), paint.net (I will be using paint.net for this tutorial)
- Confidence
- Great editing skills(If you do not know how to edit, don't start because I don't want to you have your game files end up being broken or something).

I'll be editing the global.iff file because there's more textures in that file and it appears a lot in-game.

1) Open up your 3DM Modding Tool, and navigate through your NBA2K14 game folder and look for " global.iff "
Local Disk(C:) > Program Files (x86) > 2KSports
If you placed your NBA2K14 game folder somewhere else besides the Program Files, just navigate once more but not in the Program Files. Go to where your NBA2K14 game folder is. For example: Desktop > NBA2K14 <--- Like that.

2) Once you've open up the global.iff file from your 3DM Modding Tool, look for any texture you would like to edit (besides skin texture, gear/accessories, body parts). I'll be editing the logo " NBA2K14 " which appears in the titlescreen and team selection. (How-To extract/export it from the tool and start editing it, it will appear in the photo below this)

3) Now open up your editing software. I'll being using paint.net because it's easier and simpler and you don't need to download a .dds plugin to make the editing software open the texture. It will automatically open the texture right away without confirming anything. (How-To edit the texture, it will appear in the photo below this)

4) Now I want to change " NBA2K14 ". What do I want to change it in to? Let's say I'll be changing into a " NBA2K15 " logo. (Sorry for being such a wannabe) To find the image, go through [url]images.google.com[/url] and type down anything you want to change the texture into. Click the image and save it to wherever you'd like and then open it in your editing software. (Screenshot of the texture I'll be editing " NBA2K14 " will appear in the photo below this) Make sure you save the .dds file as a DXT5 format!

5) Once you're done editing, import it back to the .iff file. (How-To import it back to the .iff file will appear on the photo below this)

VOILA! You've just edited your first game texture!

Make sure when you do mod your global.iff file/any other .iff file that contains game textures, please give credit/thank you when you mod! Just to show that you've actually learned from my tutorial. I will be a happy man! :mrgreen: (Y)
Remember, there is more .iff files with game textures you can edit. You just gotta scroll down a lot and find a game texture. Editing game textures took me like an hour to figure out. Once I got bored and told myself, I want to make a name for myself and be a great modder, I stepped up and started navigating the .iff files and figuring out what are they for in the game. So once I've started editing a lot of textures, a lot of things has changed in my NBA2K14. When you start modding textures in the .iff files, you'll be a great modder! Trust me! You'd most likely feel that you're an official NBA2K Dev. :lol:

So thanks for viewing this tutorial. I hope you enjoyed and learned! Now you know my modding secrets, well now it's not. Hope you guys get even better in the future than me! It actually feels great to share something that you've experienced modding to others. :)

SCREENSHOTS OF THE OUTCOME OF MY TEXTURE EDITING

This topic was moved from NBA 2K14 Modding by Andrew on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:13 pm.
Stephen

Return to NBA 2K14 Tutorials & FAQs