[TUTORIAL] HD FLoor A - Z

Patchmaking tutorials for NBA 2K14.

[TUTORIAL] HD FLoor A - Z

Postby stoeck on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:43 am

HOW TO CREATE A HIGH-REZ FLOOR

As you are plenty asking me how to do the court i’m making this tutorial. More people do, better will be the result as I think we can inspire each other and doing some great thinks. This tutorial assume you have some knowledge in Photoshop, modtool, blender as I won’t make a design lesson about how to get proper logos, etc etc.In a next tutorial i will show you how to generate a convincing wood texture but this is not the purpose here
This tutorial is mainly based on exrxixxx method to increase texture resolution, he is the one to credit for all those hi rez texure import I just follow his method.

You gonna need :

Photoshop or Gimp
Hex workshop
Mod tools
exrixxx's beginner calculation file

in order to make everything work please read the excellent tutorials on how to install & use blender, modtool made JaoSming

1 - Hexaedit the texture dimensions
<h3MODTOOL</h3
This tutorial assume you have some knowledge in Photoshop as I won’t make a design lesson about how to get proper logos, and also some skills in blender to reproduce the exemple.
This tutorial is mainly based on exrixxx method to increase texture resolution, he is the one to credit for all those hi rez texure import I just follow his method.I’m not pro neither in hexediting, neither in 3D, just confortable with photoshop as it is my pro work tool.An important thing is to get organized and note down tons of stuff.
First take an original floor file (for exemple as I’m currently doing Memphis I’ll show you on that one)
Open it with Modtool to decompress it. There are a few step here :

BUMP MAP

note down this offset as we gonna scale it to 1024 to match the parquet size.

PARQUET
Floor is the dds 1 texture (it can depend on court, always check out witch dds it is)

CENTER LOGO

This is the main texture we gonna use. We gonna strech this on the whole court to be able to draw whatever we want on the court. Note down the dd4 texture.

So far we have all infos we need to start hexaediting the court. close modtool

<h3HEXAEDIT</h3

Open the file in the hexa editor and follow exrxixxx method

WOOD FLOOR TEXTURE
this is what it looks like. We are looking for the dds1 texture (wood floor) (often the only dxt1 but not all)

Change the value in the red area by <span class="red"0004 0004</span and the second zone <span class="red"65</span

This works approx well on all court but to really understand go to exrixxx's tutorial as i'm just doing a working exemple and won't cover the whole tutorial he done.
Now it should look like that

CENTER LOGO TEXTURE

do the same with the center logo texture. remember it was dds4 (so it show be the fifth instance as it start at 0)
Image Enter those values 0010 00008 & 8A

So far we increased the place the texture are allowed to take in the file.

BUMP MAP

Searh now through the file (ctrl + g) the offset of the bump map location.
remeber we wrote down the offset value : 210A0

This should lead you there, just increase the value as the screen shows.

Save of course and close hexaeditor

Reopen the file with modtool and import your texture
They don't need to be accurate for now just need to have the final size to adjust the file with hexa editing.
We need to import :

a 1024*1024 bmp 32 bits in the bump map
a 1024*1024 dxt1 texture in the woodfloor slot
a 4096*2048 dxt5 texture in the center logo slot

To gain some time i suggest you to import a grided model in the 4096 2048 texture
psd template
a few hints why this texture

It will allow you to easily see what you gonna do with blender
The letter will give you the place the texture is occupying when it comes to wide or to small compared to the court size
the center circle will show you if you texture is correctly scaled and if you have the good ratio and not a streched texture (convert it to dxt5 or make your own)
The grid will allow you to place the color outbound zone (i think there is two method. Either you keep the texture file intact and scale over precisly in blender, either you adjust in photoshop) I will adjust in photoshop as a 50px loss up or down & left, right won't damage the texture definition in game.

<h3BACK TO YOUR HEXAEDITOR</h3
Again this is just the application of exrixxx's tutorial and you definitly should go there to understand what you are doing.
scroll the very down off the file and wrote down the last offset and not it down cf next screen

go back to the top of the file and copy it down here

Open the exrixxx's beginner calculation file and follow the step as it is written

BLENDER - SCALE THE COURT
so far launch the game you should have something looking like that

Now reopen modtool and export the 3d model (model0), select all part and export to a directory.
Import the file in blender

<h3preparing the work space</h3

In object mode scale everything down by 0.1
set the view in "front" would make easier to work on
still in object mode rotate everything by 90 degree and again by 180 along x to have the court in front of you on the good side

zoom out and you should see something like that

Now clean the model in edit mode and move away all the part you don't need. Just keep lines, center court & playoff logo area. You need to switch to edit mode (report to JaoSming for how to use blender)
your model must look something like that

<h3LET'S GO SCALE</h3
First off all as you see on the pic of the ingame render, we import a 1/2 ratio texture over a 1/1. So we need to scale it up by 2 along x to match the correct ratio. If the original texture is 1/2 you don't need to do it (clippers has, jazz also etc, all the center court logo that are not round or approx scared) You see it when hexaedit the value as an unssquare looks like "0002" 0001 or "0004 0002" (need to be verified i'm no more sure of that)

If you wanna be sure export the model & import it to the file with modtool & launch the game !

here we go, watch the green dot, it is a right circle so your texture has the good ratio now !

Now we need to center and scale the texture. i suggest you to scale before center. As the texture are often unsquared, the center will move. so basically if is easier to fist scale approx and then adjust

tips watch approx in game where the texture is placed. texture often dont affect the whole area in blender so it give you a notion how much you have to scale the global mesh in blender
All the parquet area you see are the the area the texture don't get affected if we compare :<br
Image<br
The red area is approx the area you need to place over the whole court.
So let"s clean a bit the model, move a bit in the area you don't need to have a better overview

Now we can scale it over the whole court !

I usually scale the whole mesh by a value between 3 or 4 it depends on the model.
here i did by 3.4

here i did by 3.4, let's check in game how it looks like (export & import the model with modtool)

In game :
As you can see this was not enough. you can still see wood texture on the side. Watch the 4 square of the court to be sure you overlap everything.
so let's scale up again. i scale it up again by 1.2 lets see in game !(export & import with mod tool but i won't say it everytime i assume you have get that point !)(you gonna launch the game tons of time get ready !)

Now it overlaps the whole court
i'm loosing a bit too much texture (watch the letter are too much outside the court - this is why you should put some markers on the texture you work with to have visual spot to watch on) so i scale it again by 0.95 (scale works with ratio, scale by 1.2 increase by 20% as scale by 0.8 decrease 20%)
It is good now we can center it
as you see on the below pic there is still a bit wood texture in the far left of the screen but this is not a problem as you can see with white line the texture is too much on right. (watch at the bottom of the backboard) (top of the blender model is on the white number side)

so let's go center !
To center the texture you need to work with screenshots. one from the bottom of the backboard to center it along z axis. one from the center regarding to top to center the x axis. be carefull to always know what is bottom & top, left or right, you can easily mix direction in blender so i recommand you to always do the same process and keep the same direction of the screenshot. (here for exemple it is reversed compared to blender. the top of the court would instinctively being put to the left. I could also work with another camera that would probably help more like broadcast or so but i'm used to that now)but no In the blender view it is right side of the screen - white letters are top, black bottom - 1 text number is left as 9 is right - reading orientation) this is why in the texture.

You will find out when moving and it gets the wrong way in case.
So let's make those srcreenshots

In blender just move the center area till you get the virtual texture line matching with the center of the court. The grid tells me approx 1 in blender is 10 pixel in game. But this is not reliable as it depends on the scale, on the screen resolution you have. you gonna need to find this ratio by yourself
So for me i should move approx 2.5 on x axis to match and -4.5 on the z axis. let's try that
As you see it is ok on the z(y) axis but need a bit more on the x axis
Repeat this operation until you get your texture centered

when you have that then it is ok !

So far so good. save your project in blender you don't need it for a time now.
We gonna need to scale the wood texture later but for now let's go to photoshop

PHOTOSHOP - DRAW THE COURT

<h3Place the sidelines</h3

Again here use the grid and the screenshot to make the colored out of bound texture match with the lines

make a vertical screen shot from the top left and the bottom right of the court.
Open the psd and move the sidelines along the grid you just screenshoted
Just count the number of lines you need to adjust and place the photoshop bloc at the good spot.

Export as dxt5 and import with modtool
Go back to game and check if the colored area matches the lines

Here we are
As you see it fit nicely with the lines. Now just do that for other parts you want to put in the court as the paint for exemple or use math. As you have now approx the size of the court and you know x pixel will be 50 feet height.

For exemple :

court is 1500px height line to line for exemple
nba court height is 50 feet, paint height is 16 feet so 1500px = 50 feet
1500px (court height in photoshop) x 16 feet (paint real height) / 50 (nba total height)
This technque is more fast but also less precise as sometimes you got 5 px or so missing because your outbound is not exactly exctly at the border of the in game lines but it help to place quickly and the adjust with screenshot for more precise position

Now just draw your court, place your logo everywhere, remove the markers (letters, grid, black background etc and reimport your clean texture with mod tool and there you are your court must be approx good !

SCALE THE TEXTURE OF THE WOODFLOOR - Blender
As you put a higher resolution texture 4096*2048 - in a 512*512 slot) you gonna need to scale up the uV(make texture smaller).
This pics shows you how to much big is the texture for now

So reopen blender and open or import your model
Go to the uv window you can show up with the menu

Make sure you are in edit mode and that the area you wanna UV scale up is selected
Scale it up approx as much as you scale the main texture +/- 4 is a good value i think depend on the size you wanna the tiles have
Export it from blender, import model with modtool

Open game and test
maybe you need to redo this operation for the playoff area to match the same wood tile width.
Adjust stuff be creative, be inspired, share you knowledge and your tips so we all together gonna make this game better
There are tutorials on how to change the lines colors i won't discuss that here, this is just an exemple i try to keep it as simple as possible. If you have trouble do not hesitate to ask if i can help i willMaybe other court makers will also shares tips & hints, this is maybe not the best way, you probably have other techniques that might work but it is a good basic to start i think and it performs a pretty good result.
Last edited by stoeck on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
-----------
My work is free to use. Feel free to use it just give back credits on what you took and tell me what you did with plz !
stoeck
Somethimes shit becomes awesome !

Re: [TUTORIAL] HD FLoor A - Z

Postby Bliss on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:05 am

Great Tutorial. (Y) Can I try your method for court patching?
Bliss

Postby stoeck on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:13 am

Bliss wrote:Great Tutorial. (Y) Can I try your method for court patching?

of course it is here to be used and maybe even improved !
-----------
My work is free to use. Feel free to use it just give back credits on what you took and tell me what you did with plz !
stoeck

Postby JaoSming on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 am

thank you stoeck, (Y) (Y)
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby exrxixxx on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:12 am

Awesome! 10/10.
This tut and latest floors definetelly are raising you to elite :)
exrxixxx
Please do not write me PM if you can ask the same in Soreboards thread

Postby stoeck on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:15 pm

lol thank you !
-----------
stoeck

Postby Bliss on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:27 am

Why is the court turns to black after I ckeck it i game? I use default 2k floor then resize all 512x512 textures to 1024x1024? I'm not really good in Hex :x
Bliss

Postby stoeck on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 am

reimport the texture? black means texture missing somehow
-----------
stoeck

Postby Bliss on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 am

I did make it to 1024x1024 then Import a new logo texture but other dds are corrupted (baseline wordmark, alternate logo, side line logo) and in game court turns all black. How if I just want to resize all in the dds(parquet, center logo, wordmark, etc..) to 1024x1024 and not stretching just the center logo. Do I just need to replace "00 02 00 02" to "00 04 00 04"?
Bliss

Postby stoeck on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Bliss wrote:I did make it to 1024x1024 then Import a new logo texture but other dds are corrupted (baseline wordmark, alternate logo, side line logo) and in game court turns all black. How if I just want to resize all in the dds(parquet, center logo, wordmark, etc..) to 1024x1024 and not stretching just the center logo. Do I just need to replace "00 02 00 02" to "00 04 00 04"?

no you need to increase the header size so texture don't overlap each other in the file. You gonna need to read in deep exrixxx tutorial on size increase texture.
-----------
stoeck

Postby exrxixxx on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:29 am

stoeck wrote:
Bliss wrote:I did make it to 1024x1024 then Import a new logo texture but other dds are corrupted (baseline wordmark, alternate logo, side line logo) and in game court turns all black. How if I just want to resize all in the dds(parquet, center logo, wordmark, etc..) to 1024x1024 and not stretching just the center logo. Do I just need to replace "00 02 00 02" to "00 04 00 04"?

no you need to increase the header size so texture don't overlap each other in the file. You gonna need to read in deep exrixxx tutorial on size increase texture.

Yes, header size is incorrect.
You can only import your larger textures if you have moved your object enough below all other possible elements in the file.
Green area in my tutorial (in pictures)

Advise:
- Increase header value with hex editor (green area) as well as red area for image size, save the file.
- Open the file with NBA2kx mod tool
- If you see at least a pixel in the screen of previous image, this mean you have moved your item not enough
- Open the file again with hex editor and increase 'green area for some more'
- Open the file with NBA 2kx mod tool. If all screen is blank here - OK. Now you can import your larger texture.
- Then go back to hex editor and recalculate BLUE and YELLOW areas as in my tutorial

BTW, if you experienced ALL BLACK COURT, delete that file, It is damaged and can not be fixed as 3D models that are somewhere between DDS (DXT) are overwrited with data from your texture (reason - header value "Green area in exrxixxx tutorial" was too low)
exrxixxx

Postby Bliss on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:15 am

I got different header size for every dds( 00, 02, 08, 0e) Should I always start wit 60? How do I increase for example if it's 0e? I try to change all header size to 60 but it messed up the floor in game. :lol:
Bliss

Postby stoeck on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:50 am

use windows calculator in hexadecimal mode
-----------
stoeck

Postby exrxixxx on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:01 am

Bliss wrote:I got different header size for every dds( 00, 02, 08, 0e) Should I always start wit 60? How do I increase for example if it's 0e? I try to change all header size to 60 but it messed up the floor in game. :lol:

It does not matter is it 02, 08 or 0e.
These are all very small values that are very near to 0 (zero)
So if you start your own with big jump to 60 it will be safe for every floor file.

To be honnest it is not necessary to start with 60, maybe 40 or 50 would be enough.
After you change header value, just open file with NBA2kxmod tool and check if your subfile does not have any images on screen.
If you see completely empty screen, it means the value is enough big to import your texture and it will not overwrite anything in the file.
exrxixxx

Postby Greatest N-G Maker on Sun May 18, 2014 10:41 am

Exrixxx i need your help please answer me I want to Hex edit my Next gen scoreboard Here looks like this Image but I dont know what file to hex please answer me Thx. :)
Greatest N-G Maker

Postby wilson27 on Fri May 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Will this method work for cyberfaces? I want to increase the texture size for a cf's cap texture & hair textures.
Your Tip Here :D
wilson27

Postby JohnnyTest on Fri May 23, 2014 12:19 pm

I don't think it will. but I can be wrong
JohnnyTest

Postby Kevin on Fri May 23, 2014 5:40 pm

wilson27 wrote:Will this method work for cyberfaces? I want to increase the texture size for a cf's cap texture & hair textures.

It should be if the new version of RedMC is released
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Return to NBA 2K14 Tutorials & FAQs