How to find anims within nba_animations.iff and siganims_generic.iff files

Patchmaking tutorials for NBA 2K14.

How to find anims within nba_animations.iff and siganims_generic.iff files

Postby CarolusXCI on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:50 pm

EDIT Jan 29th, 2017:

I recently installed the NBA 2k13 in another PC of mine. When I tried to edit the exe though, I realized that the original exe file doesn't allow any hex editing. I am assuming the same thing happens to the NBA 2k14, which I didn't check yet. When I wrote the tutorial about replacing some anims by hex editing the exe file, I was probably actually editing a exe I got from a mod elsewhere. But it doesn't matter. Because such a thing isn't allowed here, I was going to be removing the tutorial completely.

But because I saw Seushiro making good use of it in his wonderful animation editing (which didn't involve anything regarding the exe file), I will keep some parts (the ones not related to exe, of course).

I'm sorry about it.

1) Using RED MC, open the file nba_animations.iff. As far as I know it has to be a default version, without being decompressed by programs such the Mod Tool. What we want here is a list with animation names and their respective 4-byte data numbers. If you manage to get this list on an excel or txt file, you do not need to repeat this step again next time.
2) Then you search for the animation you want. They are named.
3) Get their 4-byte data numbers and reverse it. How? https://youtu.be/uRQoGihDycI?t=1m39s (thanks Jao).
4) Now open the anim file using a hex editor (HxD is the one use).
5) Search for the reversed data of the animation

Following the 4-byte data related to the animation you chose, several parameters can be found and modified, such as amimation speed and type. Check the posts in this thread for more info.
Last edited by CarolusXCI on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K14 by Andrew on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:53 am.
CarolusXCI

Re: How to replace animations by exe Hex editing

Postby Kevin on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Woah this came out of nowhere. Great tutorial (Y)
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby robfields89 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:00 am

this reminds me of the animation patch thread that never amounted into anything being released but was pretty amazing.
robfields89

Postby JEDL on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:09 am

Great tutorial. I might give this one a go if I have time.
JEDL
LuDirk Doncitzki

Postby Seushir0 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:49 am

@CarolusXCI: I just want to say thank you for sharing this. I have successfully replaced a lot of animations with the RedMC .iff importer and export, but there were animations that would not copy over well. This method of yours to manually copying the animation you need and placing it over the existing one (with correct parameters) might just help me with the stubborn animations that did not work via my method.

I always wondered how to find the animation data in Hex since I had a hard time understanding Jao's initial discovery before. I will definitely try this, Thanks again!
ImageImageImage

Seushir0

Postby CarolusXCI on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Seushir0 wrote:@CarolusXCI: I just want to say thank you for sharing this. I have successfully replaced a lot of animations with the RedMC .iff importer and export, but there were animations that would not copy over well. This method of yours to manually copying the animation you need and placing it over the existing one (with correct parameters) might just help me with the stubborn animations that did not work via my method.

I always wondered how to find the animation data in Hex since I had a hard time understanding Jao's initial discovery before. I will definitely try this, Thanks again!

You're welcome, man. I've been following your progress with tweaking animations to implement halfcourt jumpshots and that's nice because it has been helping me to figure out things as well. Unfortunately I didn't purchase the iff license for RED MC, so previously I was replacing animations by copying and pasting whole sections of bites, which is much harder and restrained by the size of animations. Then I somehow figured out this exe method and it was way easier. Of course I had to share it with you guys because who knows what the community would be able to find/do with this.

The method I presented here is good for changing animations which are found within nba_animations.iff, but to be honest I haven't tried to search for signature animations to see if it works as well. An interesting thing is that you can find pretty much any SingleMoCap block anim within nba2k13.exe, but there's none inside nba2k14.exe, which kind of annoys me since I hate the blocking system from 2k14.

I'll keep trying to find things and surely I will be letting you guys know if I find anything interesting enough.

PS: @Seushir0: are you the same guy who released a bunch of awesome aiact patches for nba live? I am still playing NBA Live 2005 using them :applaud:
CarolusXCI

Postby slimm44 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:52 am

Man, this is a GREAT thread. Do you have any idea if any other coding can be edited in this manner? I might give it a whirl if I can edit freelance data, play data, and spacing.
Image Image Image

URB WHERE SIM HAPPENS [38 Complete Seasons Mods]

2019/2020 2018/2019 2017/2018 2016/2017 2015/2016 2014/2015 2013/2014 2012/2013 2011/2012 2010/2011
2009/2010 2008/2009 2007/2008 2006/2007 2005/2006 2004/2005 2003/2004 2002/2003 2001/2002 2000/2001
1999/2000 1998/1999 1997/1998 1996/1997 1995/1996 1994/1995 1993/1994 1992/1993 1991/1992 1990/1991
1989/1990 1988/1989 1987/1988 1986/1987 1985/1986 1984/1985 1969/1970 1961/1962

What makes this mod “sim”? Here are a few of the features that set this project apart from all others:

- Every art file (jerseys, arenas, cyberfaces, accessories, courts, dornas (advertisement at half court), etc is realistic and none will crash game play
- There is no missing art file in the entire project

Every player in every roster has:
- Accurate statistical ratings and tendencies to work with 2k's simulation engine while still providing realistic game play
- Realistic ratings and tendencies that affect game play but not the simulation engine ie dribbling, athletic ratings, post tendencies, etc.
- Realistic physical attributes that decrease after major injuries or as the player gets older
- Accurate play types
- Accurate contracts

- Accurately updated Coaching profiles and playbooks

- Draft classes that have realistic player information for every player

- A few slider sets designed to be a base for realistic game play
slimm44
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Seushir0 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:51 am

CarolusXCI wrote:
Seushir0 wrote:PS: @Seushir0: are you the same guy who released a bunch of awesome aiact patches for nba live? I am still playing NBA Live 2005 using them :applaud:

One and the same but I used to go by Seushiro back then. I just changed to escape all those questions about AI ACT editing ahaha. Yeah the Titan, Integra, and Ultima are my AI Act patches.

(Y) But looks like now im gonna try the same with NBA 2k14 thanks to your help.

I never had this much progress until you helped me find out about the reverse headers and mirror files.

Between the legs dunk (need to work on the mirror so right handed can use this in actual game):

Full court shots that go in:

I also slowly learning the parameters that can be edited within the animation file without touching the .exe file like speed of animation (good for more fluid cross overs) and changing shot types to lay ups, alley oops, runners, dunks and regular jump shots. (Y)
ImageImageImage

Seushir0

Postby CarolusXCI on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 pm

slimm44 wrote:Man, this is a GREAT thread. Do you have any idea if any other coding can be edited in this manner? I might give it a whirl if I can edit freelance data, play data, and spacing.

I am not sure yet.

I just tried this: grab the 4-byte number of any play, reverse it, search inside the executable file. Nothing was found. Then I tried the same, but searching for the reversed 4-byte number within the file "playdata.iff" (after decompression). I was searching for "7D3EF5BE", which is the reversed 4-byte of the play called "SLICE DBL SCREEN".

This was found:

7D3EF5BE 451F84382948FE1946024702CB02EB0402FE0904EAFF170347016004C1B70200 CB7D56BF 0000000028489A0F0200F1...........

"CB7D56BF" is the reversed 4-byte of "DELAY MID SCREEN", another play. Therefore, all parameters used by the play "SLICE DBL SCREEN", I suppose, are underlined above. Now, what each one actually does, I have no idea. Those have to be tested.

I am not sure about other things such as spacing and freelance data yet.
CarolusXCI

Postby CarolusXCI on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Seushir0, which parameters do you change to speed up or slow down animations?
CarolusXCI

Postby Seushir0 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:41 pm

I dunno how to point it out since I use the Red MC Method but here let me share what I learned so far...

Main FIle (Bigger size):

Woooh!

Animation Types:
10 10 - Shot (If it is a shot and you take out the second 10 you will not launch ball and get travelling)
21 00 - Scene Animation (Can be the automatic animation for a collision, Referee, animation, basically anything with no parameters.)
40 00 - Dunks
00 21 - Hopstep Lay Up
00 20 - Lay Up and Runners

Shot Modifier:
00 Deafult
01 Makes game think its a Pull Up shot
08 Makes game think its a free throw shot (What I do to make the full court shots as Free Throws not affected by the sliders, only problem is they box
out all shots with these once you have even one real free throw done. My current problem)
09,0A,0C, and 0F same as Free Throw

Everything from line 00000020 is the animation data itself.

Mirror Files:

Pretty much the same. and you can play around with the animation it is linked into. Example I want the left Handed Kobe shot to be different animation. I change the 45 94 5A 51 part into the animation I want to copy.. BUT! Must copy the code in blue from the animation I want. Remember you cannot link to an animation in Sig_anims if you are doing this inside the NBA_Anim files. If you really need to do so. Copy the animation you want first (Big File) then move it over to Sig_anims or NBA_anims (Where it does not exist) and fix the Animation code to the one you want to overwrite.
ImageImageImage

Seushir0

Postby bigh0rt on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:09 am

This. Is. Awesome.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby CarolusXCI on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Good stuff, Seushir0. Those parameters work with the old copy and paste method as well. The only thing is that one needs to decompress the file first (either nba_animations or siganims). I remember that in one of my research sessions I found out some parameters responsible for changing stuff like the angle on which the animation occurs. Those are altered inside the executable file if I recall correctly. I saved the instructions as an image file and now I cannot find it. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I will be trying to tweak blocking animations in the near future.

I always wondered what that 3F, which normally comes alongside 80, stands for..
CarolusXCI

Postby Seushir0 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Yeah I always thought those 3F XX XX XX 3F would be the angles but I'm not sure my testing with them so far just brings in crashes. Sometimes the other 3F would even be 40 (As if one increase would change anything but I do wonder why).....

I will get back to testing later on I have devoted myself to identifying which Animations go together first then I will try to dissect how the game reads the release and the bases from the data so we can make our own shots. I dunno how long this will take but I think it will be worth the research since we know what lousy shots we can eliminate and replace with better ones.

Gamez was definitely right as other shots are related. (If gonna update Curry's shot we must consider Bargnani as they share the same release) reserach is tough because some players have dual jump shots in one file (Lets make LeBron as the example he has a Normal Throw and one with a Lean depending on your release but can be seen both being played after the other in Roster Player Editor Preview mode the are two separate shot files which the game has both under L. James release)...

I will upload the file when I am done to give life to animations research but so far here is the screen shot.

As you can see Shot Name is the Animation File Name, Release is well the Jumper release, and Base is the Jump itself. Now what is parts? As explained above L. James can play 1 part which is ANM_2K13_SIG_JUMPER_LEBRON and ANM_2K14_SIG_JUMPER_LEBRON_LEAN depending on your release. I want to identify properly who else has these types since Curry and Kobe needs something like this as they have more than one type of basic jumpshot similar to the lebron style where Curry can just shoot the ball and run back or Shoot and raise his arms for a bit to show opponents it will go in... (Pull ups, Runners and Fades not even included yet these are all the regular jumpshots)
ImageImageImage

Seushir0

Postby Seushir0 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:20 am

Sharing the list of Jump shots I found and connected to which release and Base.

L. James and H. Barnes are unique.

L. James uses the same base of the main animation but has two releases under his name. H. Barnes is so far supreme... He has two full sets of animation under his name with using its own releases and bases.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage

Seushir0

Postby padong15 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Where can I get the complete list of this file?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
padong15

Postby Seushiro on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:08 am

That is pretty much the completed list. I replaced the animations one by one to see who it belongs to inside player edit thus making that. For the missing releases I do not know where the game hides it I cleanly went through each Animation name for jumpers for two straight weeks.
Seushiro

Re: How to find anims within nba_animations.iff and siganims_generic.iff files

Postby Nitram2419 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi sir seushiro..how do you replace the jumpshots?
Nitram2419

Postby miss_o36 on Fri May 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Can anybody help me on the list of NBA 2k14 siganims_generic.iff? I tried to use the Red MC tool but there is nothing.. Please help me
miss_o36

Postby broadsun on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:42 am

Seushir0 wrote:Sharing the list of Jump shots I found and connected to which release and Base.

L. James and H. Barnes are unique.

L. James uses the same base of the main animation but has two releases under his name. H. Barnes is so far supreme... He has two full sets of animation under his name with using its own releases and bases.

Hello,Seushir0. I have some questions. I can't find animations that you listed in the Sig_Shots.zip in nba_animations.iff. Such as "ANM_2K13_SIG_JUMPER_LEBRON", I can't find it in nba_animations.iff. I don't know what went wrong. I just open nba_animations.iff by RED MC.Can you help me?
broadsun

Postby DiamondDust132 on Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:34 am

Sorry for necro posting. Though this info might be useful for anyone with the same question as the above poster. ANM_2K13_SIG_JUMPER_LEBRON and other jump shots are in siganims_generic.iff. Anything else is in nba_animations.iff. Should be the same for both 2K13 and 2K14.

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is to thank CarolusXCI and Seushiro for the easy to understand tutorial. I'm playing with the animations in 2K13 now just to see what I can do. Should be a lot of fun. I'm wondering if I can edit some of the generic Get Backs as well as jump shots.
DiamondDust132

Return to NBA 2K14 Tutorials & FAQs