IGN - NBA 2K14 Doesn't Try to Fix What Ain't Broke

Talk about NBA 2K14 here.

IGN - NBA 2K14 Doesn't Try to Fix What Ain't Broke

Postby Arcane on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:41 pm

I'll admit that it's difficult to get excited about the current-generation version of NBA 2K14 when the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 editions are looming just a month or so after the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions ship on October 1. But then I only have to remind myself that this is a phenomenal hoops series for many years now -- and it's only gotten better.

Of course, it helps that the 2K team handed me the controller and said, "Go ahead, just play."

Current-gen 2K14's big new addition is dribble controls. Various inputs on the right thumbstick will allow you to pull off dribble moves or shots. Like an idiot I immediately tried to figure it out on my own without heeding any instructions, and ended up throwing wild passes. It turns out that holding LT (on Xbox 360) now triggers an assist pass based on whatever direction you nudge on the right stick. It's wild fun on fast breaks or for driving the lane and kicking out to a spot-up shooter behind the three-point line.

Once I got some advice from longtime series director Rob Jones, the dribble-stick controls made a lot more sense. As he simply stated, "Dribbles are taps [on the right thumbstick], shots are holds."

Soon I was feeling locked-in and, playing the Heat, able to do some very LeBron-like things both at the rim and out on the perimeter.

"We started dabbling with [the dribble stick] during development on 2K13," Jones said. "It was one of our proposed control schemes coming out of that year."

Otherwise, online Crews are back, along with the new inclusion of 14 Euroleague teams.

Current-gen NBA 2K14 seems to be a pretty safe bet this year. As for next-gen? We'll have the first info and footage for you as soon as humanly possible. Stay tuned.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/08/19/n ... aint-broke
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Re: IGN - NBA 2K14 Doesn't Try to Fix What Ain't Broke

Postby JaoSming on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:42 pm

beat me to it,

I dont know how I like the idea of taps on the right stick being dribble moves and holds being shots....
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:37 am

Yeah, I thought the scheme they implemented last year worked just fine as far as dribbling controls are concerned, but let's see how it plays I guess.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby CharlesAdams3rd on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:12 am

I'm interested in seeing how it turns out. I'm honestly excited to try the new mechanics.
CharlesAdams3rd

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:31 am

What about spin moves vs spin shots? They could both be considered holds.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K14