NBA 2K14 Will be released for PC!

Talk about NBA 2K14 here.

NBA 2K14 Will be released for PC!

Postby Pooh on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:48 pm

http://www.nba-live.com/nba-2k14-will-b ... sed-on-pc/

Hells Yea!

Original Post Below

It seems 2K Sports decided to cancel the PC version of Major League Baseball 2K13. Although MLB 2K10, 2K11 and 2K12 were released for PC MLB 2K13 will be only available for X360 and PS3. NBA 2K13 was released for PC but many of the features present in consoles were not available in PC version ( All Star Weekend, etc ). Will 2K Sports continue to develop their #1 selling basketball franchise for PC ?

Via: Moddingway.com/news/5485.html
Pooh

Re: NBA 2K14 : Will it be released for PC ?

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:56 pm

It's a possibility we can't rule out but I'm not too concerned just yet. The NBA games have a larger worldwide appeal, so they're more likely to appear on additional platforms. The PC version will never be a priority, but until we hear otherwise I'm assuming it will continue to come out.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:05 pm

something Leftos and I have been discussing since 2K13 came out so limited. I'm 50/50 on it. I of course want 2K14 on PC, but with the next generation coming out and the limitations.....I really would not be surprised if 2K13 was the end of it.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't see a disaster in 2k13 like Live 08 had for the PC. 2K can still make some easy money off an easy port, it should continue to be released this year, imo.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:35 pm

I don't think MLB 2K13 can be used as a measurement bar, this game is a last minute attempt by the MLB to have a game on the Xbox, it is exactly the same game as 2K12 minus the 2 and plus a 3.
The next generation still has an estimate release date of Q4 and still no official date, plus theres still the price question. If they raise their prices from the previous generation then it can still fail. People are not stupid regardless of what they seem, they're not going to buy into a console that's overpriced, that it's games come at half the power at twice the price and that they are forced to buy into some kind of subscription, dlc, or whatever to get the other half of the game, and above all into a console that still worse than a PC.
Well, maybe they are that stupid.
jmmontoro

Postby intruda on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:57 am

I believe its pure profit(even if its very little). Direct port from console versions and any feature with issues just get removed. I dont see why not. 2k also needs to bring the big guns next year with Live/Elite being released.
intruda

Postby benji on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:55 pm

MLB 2K is a dead franchise, they put out the bare minimum in the largest single segment of the market (360/PS3, no Wii, no DS, no PS2, nothing else) because they are done with that albatross of a license.
benji

Postby BLaZiNgSPEED on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:48 pm

I honestly think it will (at least 70% certain)!

Let's be honest, MLB is a sport mainly popular in North America. It is quite normal that Baseball as a sport won't sell well on the PC when majority of the users worldwide don't play Baseball. Baseball is only traditional in NA. That means the sales for the PC version as well as the console version won't be that high compared to a Basketball game.

While NBA 2K/Basketball is played worldwide just like FIFA 13 PC is played worldwide. So it is far more likely to give us better sales on the PC than MLB 2K would. If MLB 2K13 was released on PC only PC Users from NA would buy it which will ofcourse mean the sales being very poor. But the same cannot be said about NBA 2K13 or NBA 2K14, etc on PC.

Considering also that NBA 2K10, 11, 12, 13 have all been very successful PC ports. It's one of those few PC Sports title that are very well optimized for the PC version and run extremely well with no crash/freeze issues from my experience. They have a minimum CPU requirement of a Pentium 4. I have yet to experience a crash to desktop for NBA 2K13 PC or any other serious problem. This proves how well optimized this game is on PC! So this will help encourage 2K to release NBA 2K14 on PC seeing that the console ports aren't problematic on PC.

MLB 2K12 PC had a lot of bugs and problems. Like for example needing to change the date to an earlier time to be able to play the game as it was freezing in the main menu screen, stats sometimes resetting, etc. Issues like that may be the reason why 2K aren't bothering to release MLB 2K13 for PC.
BLaZiNgSPEED

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Nba 2k is not optimized as well as you think. It is processor heavy as opposed to using the graphics card for most of the rendering. The main menu actually uses more graphics processing than when in-game, which is ridiculous.

What that means to me is that the next gen version of 2k should be able to run on modern pc's. Although, another possibility is that they chose to use the processor more since high performance graphics cards cost more and they could get the game playable on more systems with the lower processor specs.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benji on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:45 pm

The current consoles could crunch a lot of crap on the CPUs through many threads (remember the 360 can do six threads and Cell can theoretically manage like seven or eight) and the GPUs were actually underpowered compared to PCs. That's why as we're moving to quad-cores and stuff as standards (especially with the i5 and i7's) they've been chewing up 2K while even an 8800GT has basically been starved since 2K9. You see this in other "low priority" PC ports as well, way more CPU usage than expected. And these games are designed for DX9 bases so that's a big inefficiency.

2K seems well-optimized because we're all brute-forcing through so much of it with way more powerful and capable hardware.

Next gen is going to change as they move to more PC-like designs. It should all scale better. (Plus DX11 compliant GPU expectations.)
Let's be honest, MLB is a sport mainly popular in North America. It is quite normal that Baseball as a sport won't sell well on the PC when majority of the users worldwide don't play Baseball. Baseball is only traditional in NA. That means the sales for the PC version as well as the console version won't be that high compared to a Basketball game.
MLB 2K12 PC had a lot of bugs and problems. Like for example needing to change the date to an earlier time to be able to play the game as it was freezing in the main menu screen, stats sometimes resetting, etc. Issues like that may be the reason why 2K aren't bothering to release MLB 2K13 for PC.

Nothing about MLB 2K has to do with actual sales or anything really, 2K panicked back when the NFL went exclusive and gave out a contract for the license they could never hope to make money on. It's why they basically gave up on the series years ago and I figure the only reason it's coming out on 360/PS3 is because the contract requires it to come out on the largest platforms. This is a game they were still producing PS2 versions of, not to mention Wii and PSP. That's all savings they're getting this year as they kick the franchise out the door.
benji

Postby BLaZiNgSPEED on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:32 am

This may be true to an extend.
However, from a PC Gaming perspective it is quite well optimized, compared to many other console ports. I know we have much more powerful hardwares now compared to before. But I want to ask what is your definition of well optimized? If you mean that the game doesn't run well on CPUs such as a Celeron processor. Then yes that will be considered unoptimized. But the game is well optimized at least for it to run on a Pentium 4.

Just take a look at the NBA 2K13 System Requirements

OS : Windows XP Service Pack III, Vista Service Pack II, Windows 7
CPU : Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz Single Core processor or equivalent (2.8 Ghz for Vista/Win 7)
RAM : 512 MB or more (1 GB for Vista/Win 7)
Graphic Card : Video card with 512 MB or more memory Nvidia Geforce 6800 or ATI Radeon HD 2400
SOUND: Any sound card which supports DirectX 9.0
DIRECT X : Direct X 9.0 or more
Input: Keyboard or dual-analog gamepad

This is very, very low. That's what I'm talking about. How many latest PC Console ports even have those system requirements? Considering that this is no longer classed as a gaming rig. 2K have done well to make this game run on such system. I only have a Quad Core Q8400, GTX 560 Ti, 3 GB RAM DDR2 and max the game out with everything at 1920x1200 with 60 constant frames per second with V-Sync on. Now apart from my GPU and OS everything else is pretty old and even my friends say it is not even mid range anymore. The recommended is even very low, only at dual core!!

Compare that to FIFA Soccer 13. Minimum CPU requirement is Dual Core and Recommended is a Quad Core.

Now I understand that we may have our concerns set on 2K14 due to the release of the PS4. But most of us PC Gamers know well that PC hardware is very quick to develop. I remember when the PS3 came out. Only a year later with the release of the first Quad Cores, the PC still surpassed the consoles. The same saga is going to repeat again.

A lot of PC Gamers nowadays have DX11 graphics cards. So even if it takes a minimum requirement of a DX11 graphics card and people don't own one. They can buy it, since it's going to still be way cheaper than the PS4!
Just take a look at the PS4 system specs

Official Tech Specs CPU
Single-chip custom processor.
Low power x86-64 AMD "Jaguar" 8 cores.
Graphics 1.84 TFlops, AMD Radeon Graphics Core Next engine
Memory 8GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage Built-in.
Unconfirmed size.
Optical Drive Blu-Ray drive 6xCAV.
DVD drive 8xCAV.
Input/Output Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0).
AUX.
Comms Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000-BASE-T).
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n.
Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR).
Audio/Visual HDMI.
Analog-AV out.
Digital output (optical).

They aren't all that impressive either, let's be honest. Personally speaking, im not so worried. You can consider me an optimist. :)
BLaZiNgSPEED

Postby benji on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:34 am

Personally, I'd like to see how well it runs on a P4 with 1GB of RAM and a 6800 GT. I suspect not very well, especially at a sane resolution.
benji

Postby jjhill23 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:44 am

The reason it runs so well is because you only need to match the Xbox 360 as far as system specs, and to be honest the 360 came out a long time ago, just like all of the components listed on that requirements list.
jjhill23

Postby maumau78 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:57 pm

"I open at the close"

Dumbledore

You like my works? Support me! Donations Link Below:
https://paypal.me/maumau78mods
https://twitter.com/MauroAnceschi
https://www.youtube.com/user/anceschmau78/videos
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Nowhere close to being official, nor is it an atual announcement. It's common for sites like Amazon to put up those listings ahead of time and while it's not impossible that it will be released on October 1st, it's a convenient placeholder date in a listing for a game that will be coming out sometime in October.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 pm

which also happens to be a Tuesday

as always year after year, I wont believe the PC version until I see it in a press release or trailer
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby jiplatino on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 pm

I have a Pentium 4 3.0GHZ HT 1GB RAM Nvidia 220 GT 1GB DDR2 and I'm able to play NBA 2K13 on at 1440x900 all high exept player detail at low with 30 fps average. :P I find it playable. :)
jiplatino

Postby jk31 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 am

jiplatino wrote:...with 30 fps average. :P I find it playable. :)

Well, I hope you don't play the game online...
jk31

Postby xzisted on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:36 am

I want a PC version. I bought 2k13 for the PC through Steam and you can really see how much better it is than the console version with mods. I bought 2k10-2k12 for the ps3 and this year is the first time I bought the game for PC and it is a bit disappointing that a lot of content is absent in the PC version. Maybe piracy is a part of the problem. The game is already pretty cheap compared to others and it is saddening to see how little the support is. If you enjoy the game, why not buy it? It's cheaper than a full tank of gas and you get about at least a year's worth of enjoyment out of it before the next game comes out.

Also, I play the game with a low-mid range GPU and I average 60 frames even with almost 3gb worth of mods. I might have to upgrade if 2k14 is a huge improvement over 2k13 and my current PC can't play it well.
xzisted

Postby MJALLDAY on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:37 am

I could see 2k13 being the swan song for PC considering how hard it was to find. I've never been an online shopper and I got 2k11 & 12 for PC quite easily from the big chain stores (Best Buy, Walmart, etc.). I had to look everywhere for 2k13 before finally finding it at a small store specializing in pc software. All the big stores stopped carrying the pc version in my neck of the woods.
MJALLDAY

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:39 am

MJALLDAY wrote:I could see 2k13 being the swan song for PC considering how hard it was to find. I've never been an online shopper and I got 2k11 & 12 for PC quite easily from the big chain stores (Best Buy, Walmart, etc.). I had to look everywhere for 2k13 before finally finding it at a small store specializing in pc software. All the big stores stopped carrying the pc version in my neck of the woods.

It's very hard to find any retail PC game because PC games are now distributed digitally. NBA 2K13 was available worldwide since day one on Steam. You just don't go and buy a retail game anymore, Origin and Steam are the two main distributors, download their clients and shop online, download the game and play instantly.
jmmontoro

Postby Andrew on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:13 am

jmmontoro wrote:NBA 2K13 was available worldwide since day one on Steam.

Not so. It was actually made available on October 30th, well after the retail release.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby jmmontoro on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 am

Andrew wrote:

Not so. It was actually made available on October 30th, well after the retail release.

Ok, I forgot about that, the delay was never made clear but the point still stands. You don't buy retail PC games anymore. I don't know why 2K decided to release a very limited retail copy, specially in the US where the PC market is very slim for sports titles.
jmmontoro

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:01 pm

jmmontoro wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Ok, I forgot about that, the delay was never made clear but the point still stands. You don't buy retail PC games anymore. I don't know why 2K decided to release a very limited retail copy, specially in the US where the PC market is very slim for sports titles.

I'm sure they limited retail DVD copies based on a projection of those sales. I didn't get my PC copy on release day because I preordered at the last minute and they had to order the physical copy. It also cuts down on manufacturing costs with the skim PC sports market. I'm sure most copies were sold digitally.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Many PC copies were also sold when it was on sale. Just from anecdotes I know a lot of people who buy consoles at release play online for a few months, until they hate the game, then around the Christmas to all-star weekend period there's lots of sales on the PC version and people double dip to try out mods. Especially Hawk's work the last couple years.
benji

Next

Return to NBA 2K14