NBA2K13 - Music Tool - Song Skipping Fix Example

A hub for everything related to NBA 2K13 modding. Releases, previews, requests, and other modding discussion belongs here.

Re: NBA2K13 - Music Tool - Song Skipping Fix Example

Postby nesa24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:18 am

R4zoR wrote:Meh is it so hard to just put it on mediafire or somewhere, it will take you like a minute or so, i want to release the soundtracks with the names and covers like today or tomorrow.

lol no it isnt hard mate but i have work to do and wont be at home
i will post it when i can
All men dream: but not equally.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
This I did.
nesa24

Postby R4zoR on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:24 am

nesa24 wrote:
R4zoR wrote:Meh is it so hard to just put it on mediafire or somewhere, it will take you like a minute or so, i want to release the soundtracks with the names and covers like today or tomorrow.

lol no it isnt hard mate but i have work to do and wont be at home
i will post it when i can

It's okay, just thought u could upload it.
R4zoR has been modding video games for 10 years now, if you want to help me out in the process financially. You can do so by clicking on this link https://www.paypal.me/modderr4zor I will be more than grateful, for the support.
R4zoR
10 years of modding
Contributor

Postby Leftos on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:41 am

nesa24, if you can't hear the skipping I'm hearing, I don't know what to tell you. Just a few seconds after the start of the song there's a skip. I even replaced file 0 with another song, it skipped at the same point.

However, I tested out my theory, and copying the adjusted dpds table from the xWMA file to each chunk's header fixes all skipping. I'll upload the latest version soon.

EDIT: Upload your fixed jukeboxmusic.bin of mine when you can and I'll tell you exactly where I can hear the skipping, because when I fix my jukeboxmusic.bin file with your tool it still skips.

EDIT 2: Your fix's theory that says that the Int32 at ChunkStart + 0x14 must be the same as the Int32 at ChunkStart + 0x5C (it's not just 2 bytes (0x15-0x16), those are Int32s, so 4 bytes (0x14-0x17)) stands, this should be done along with my theory of copying the dpds table to ChunkStart + 0x38 to 0x5F (10 packets x 4 bytes per Int32 = 40bytes). Our two fixes combined not only fix the skipping, but make sure that the songs play continuously, without music stopping after one song.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby nesa24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:06 am

R4zoR wrote:
nesa24 wrote:i dont get it mate
i have tried on your and R4zor jukebox and didnt have skipping after fix

realy dont get it how it isnt working with you

Ahh can u send me through PM the fixed version of my released soundtrack, want to test it out.

here
http://www.mediafire.com/?mgtm6o84wly942x
played it and litestned with my brother
tryied i aint no joke and mercy <<< your song versions

Leftos wrote:EDIT 2: Your fix's theory that says that the Int32 at ChunkStart + 0x14 must be the same as the Int32 at ChunkStart + 0x5C (it's not just 2 bytes (0x15-0x16), those are Int32s, so 4 bytes (0x14-0x17)) stands, this should be done along with my theory of copying the dpds table to ChunkStart + 0x38 to 0x5F (10 packets x 4 bytes per Int32 = 40bytes). Our two fixes combined not only fix the skipping, but make sure that the songs play continuously, without music stopping after one song.

i know it works
it has to
we are doing about same thing on two ways
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
This I did.
nesa24

Postby Leftos on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 am

No, we're not doing the same thing two different ways. Here's the full explanation of what the final solution comprises of:

Each full chunk is comprised of 10 packets. So, at each chunk, at offset 0x38, there's 10 Int32s. A 40-byte (10x4) table that tells the XAudio2 engine how much information in bytes each packet corresponds to after it is decoded (the WMAv2 information needs to be decoded to PCM or something else before it's fed into the DirectSound output). When you encode an audio file into xWMA, it's essentially a RIFF-type file comprised of three areas:

"fmt " - Header containing some information about the file format
"dpds" - Int32 table containing the accumulated data length after each packet is decoded (so, say each packet was 40 bytes after decoding, this table looks like {40, 80, 120, 160, 200, 240, etc.}.
"data" - The WMAv2 encoded data.

The dpds table is important, because it is essential for seeking. You can't properly seek inside an xWMA file without that information, nor do you know how big the file is after it is decoded.

So, how does that translate to each chunk inside the BIN files? There's two important areas.

As we said, each chunk contains 10 packets. So the 40-byte area between 0x38 and 0x5F is always the partial dpds table. The Int32 at 0x14 is the total bytes after decoding, essentially how many bytes of PCM this chunk will correspond to after it is decoded. This should ALWAYS be the same as the last (10th) entry of the dpds table for that chunk. This is actually redundant information. If we know how much data we have after decoding the 10 packets of the chunk, we know its total decoded size. That's why 0x14-0x17 and 0x5C-0x5F is always the same Int32 in the default files.

So, here's what I'm doing each time I encode an MP3 or WAV to an xWMA:

Code: Select all
_dpdsTable = new List<Int32>();
var dpdsPos = findArrayInStream(userSongData, XwmaDpdsHeader, 0) + 8;
userSongData.Position = dpdsPos;
var buf = new byte[4];
while (true)
{
   userSongData.Read(buf, 0, 4);
   var dec = BitConverter.ToInt32(buf, 0);
   if (dec == 1635017060) // buf == data
   {
      break;
   }
   _dpdsTable.Add(dec);
}

Essentially, I read the whole dpds table from the xWMA file. So, we need to copy that table to the BIN file for each chunk. First of all, the song the user has selected will probably be shorter than the original song. So, it's dpds table will be shorter than the one inside the BIN file for that song. What I do to overcome that is copy the last entry of the dpds table enough times to match the ChunkCount*10 of the original song. So if the user's song had 438 packets while the song inside the BIN file is 58 chunks long (so 580 packets), I add enough entries to the dpds table of the user's song to get it up to 580 packets. However, all entries I add are the same as the last one, so the game essentially sees that all packets after 438 hold NO DATA. This means that the game skips instantly to the next song, since it realizes there's no more data to decode even though there is some in the data section (but it's dummy zeros.

Similarly to how each song resets the Chunk ID to 0, each chunk resets its first dpds entry. So, let's say that the 10th packet of the Chunk 0 had 4000 in the dpds table, which means that essentially, after the 10th packet is decoded, we'll have 4000 bytes of PCM data. In the xWMA file, the 11th packet will have something bigger in the entry of the dpds table, for example 4385. However, since we've started a new chunk in the BIN file, we need to start from 0. Not really 0, but count how many bytes will have been decoded since the last chunk's last packet. So 4385 - 4000 = 385, so we copy that into Chunk 1 Packet 0 in the dpds table inside the BIN file, and continue likewise.

Here's the code that copies the xWMA file inside the BIN file properly, using my trick to copy the DPDS table and your trick to make sure the chunk's total decoded size matches the chunk's 10th packet accumulated decoded size:

var songToReplace = (Song) dgSongs.SelectedItem;
bw.BaseStream.Position = _curChunkOffsets[songToReplace.FirstChunkID];
var lastDpdsEntry = _dpdsTable.Last();
for (var i = _dpdsTable.Count; i < songToReplace.ChunkCount * 10; i++)
{
   _dpdsTable.Add(lastDpdsEntry);
}

var bytesWritten = 0;
for (var i = songToReplace.FirstChunkID; i <= songToReplace.LastChunkID; i++)
{
   var buf = new byte[ChunkBufferSize];
   Array.Clear(buf, 0, buf.Length);

bw.BaseStream.Position += 56;
   for (var j = 0; j < 10; j++)
   {
      var curIndex = (i - songToReplace.FirstChunkID) * 10 + j;
      var toWrite = _dpdsTable[curIndex];
      if (curIndex > 9)
      {
         toWrite -= _dpdsTable[(curIndex / 10) * 10 - 1];
      }
      bw.Write(toWrite);
      if (curIndex % 10 == 9)
      {
         bw.BaseStream.Position -= 76;
         bw.Write(toWrite);
         bw.BaseStream.Position += 72;
      }
   }

var chunkLength = (int) getChunkLength(i);

if (bytesWritten == lengthToWrite)
   {
      bw.Write(buf, 0, chunkLength);
      bw.Flush();
      continue;
   }

if (bytesWritten + chunkLength > lengthToWrite)
   {
      var newChunkLength = (int)(lengthToWrite - bytesWritten);
      ms.Read(buf, 0, newChunkLength);
      bytesWritten += newChunkLength;
   }
   else
   {
      ms.Read(buf, 0, chunkLength);
      bytesWritten += chunkLength;
   }
   bw.Write(buf, 0, chunkLength);
   bw.Flush();
}

Example:
In the below image there's the values in the xWMA's DPDS tables and how they should be copied in the 40-byte BIN DPDS tables per chunk. The highlighted value which is each chunk's 10th packet accumulated decoded data size needs to be also copied to the chunk's total accumulated decoded data size at offset 0x14.

What your solution lacked: You're just copying the chunk's total decoded size (and part of it, just 2 bytes instead of 4) into the 10th packet's accumulated decoded size. This is not enough, since the original chunk when decoded doesn't have the same amount of data as the chunk of the user's file when decoded. We need the user's chunk's 10th packet accumulated data to replace the chunk's full decoded size like I explained above. So, after copying part of the dpds table to 0x38-0x5F, we then need to copy 0x5C-0x5F to 0x14-0x17, not the other way around.

What this means for the future: With this theory in place, we can essentially rebuild the jukeboxmusic.bin from scratch with any kind of song and length we want, hopefully. This is going to be my next project, and I hope my theory works.

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby nesa24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:21 am

same thing = trying to solve mistery (issue) with
what meters is that it works

i have managed to extend song (mercy) 2 days ago but that method isnt working now...
that is i cant manage to do same thing again....

i know i am missing something
i dont know as much as you do about it as you do
This I did.
nesa24

Postby Leftos on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:22 am

Well, read through my explanation. I don't think it should be too hard to understand with your programming knowledge and all that you've worked on so far.

By copying the ACTUAL, correct DPDS table over from the user's song to the BIN file, we tell the game exactly how to seek through the audio file and when the song ends. You can have chunks that have their data filled with 0s or whatever you want, but as long as the DPDS table of that chunk says that the chunk has no data, then the game will completely ignore the data inside the chunk.

If we apply the reverse and add more chunks with appropriate dpds tables, the game will keep playing those chunks until WE tell it there's no more data to be decoded. And that's how you shorten or extend a song. You need proper DPDS data in each chunk, and proper decoded chunk size at 0x14 in each chunk as well.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Postby nesa24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:21 am

yea
and i like this kind of talk [public]
becouse others can learn by reading and writing notes

many forums are conservative and noone share anything

cheers orthodox brother
This I did.
nesa24

Postby Leftos on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:45 am

CORRECTION: Not all chunks have 10 packets, after all. 10 seems to be the max, but packets have different packet counts. To find how many packets are in a given chunk in the BIN file, just go to ChunkStart + 0xC.

Chunk Format:
0x0: 69A1BED2 (magic string)
0xC: Packet count
0x14: Total decoded data length
0x38: Partial DPDS table (Size: PacketCount * 4 bytes)
0x38 + (4 * PacketCount): Data

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Re: NBA2K Music Format - need help

Postby nesa24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:09 am

Leftos wrote:CORRECTION: Not all chunks have 10 packets, after all. 10 seems to be the max, but packets have different packet counts. To find how many packets are in a given chunk in the BIN file, just go to ChunkStart + 0xC.
Chunk Format:
0x0: 69A1BED2 (magic string)

69A1BED2
D2BEA169

http://rulus.com/tool/hash/WMA

nesa24 wrote:- The header of each of the 4K chunks starts with the sequence 69 a1 be
d2. Interpreted as a little endian value, this is actually the CRC32
checksum of the string "WMA"
. This might indicate that further research
into WMA decompression should be in order.[/code]

and second one

No problem, I did really not explain it further: The file is organized
in blocks (or "chunks") of 4 kilobytes size, where only part of the 4
kilobytes seem to actually be used for audio data. The rest is just
padded. That's essentially the same observation the guy named PDub made
in the third post here: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5234

His observations about file sizes and compression ratios in the thread
on forums.nba-live.com also support the theory that the data is not just
regular ADPCM.

As I said, don't rule out the possibility that the data might be encoded
in some WMA variation. I'm no expert in that department, however. The
CRC32 finding I mentioned in my last email is a bit too interesting to
be a coincidence in my eyes ...

hope that someone can make it right
I dont have time
sry
This I did.
nesa24

Postby nesa24 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:14 am

have we got it all covered mate in audio section?

so i can focus on video issue
This I did.
nesa24

Postby Leftos on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Only issue would be to figure out why songs stop playing after one is done instead of going to the next one, but feel free to work on other stuff. I may think of something to fix that.

Leftos
NBA 2K Developer

Previous

Return to NBA 2K13 Modding