The Friday Five: 5 Secret Courts Unlocked by Cheats

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Silly Things I’ve Done in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Glad to know I'm not the only one. It's a bit of extra amusement when you're blowing out the CPU, and the benchwarmer comes into the game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Just did it to Mozgov & Steven Adams in my current MyGM. :lol:
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby [Q] on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:00 pm

Andrew wrote:Glad to know I'm not the only one. It's a bit of extra amusement when you're blowing out the CPU, and the benchwarmer comes into the game.

It wasn't fun to do it for a 12th man who would never play, but a "favorite" bench player that gets occasional minutes
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:31 pm

When it's two players vs the CPU, as my cousin and I usually played, you tend to get a lot of blowouts. So, Gary Grant got his fair share of minutes, even as a 12th man. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:59 am

I always wanted to keep it realistic so I never did that to any current nba players but the generated players that I would draft
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:15 am

Ah, see that's where I was sillier!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: My Birthday Five

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:49 am

October 16th, 2015: My Birthday Five

Yes, October 16th is my birthday. Today, I’m no longer an old man of 30, but an older man of 31. Appropriately enough, I’m eating cake as I write this Five; Boston Mudcake, despite the fact I’m a Chicago Bulls fan. All in all, I’ve had a pretty relaxed day today, not quite as productive as I’d normally like to be, but hey, I had the opportunity to take a day off, and it’s my birthday.

I hadn’t really prepared a topic for this week’s Five, beyond the fact that I knew that I was going to call it my Birthday Five, and talk about something that was somehow related to my birthday, while still tying it in to the stuff we cover here at the NLSC. So, what I’ve decided to do is talk about some of the ways I feel that we change as we get older, as it pertains to being a basketball fan, and a player of basketball video games. These are my reflections, on my 31st birthday, about growing up. Well, growing older, at any rate.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Predictions for the 2016 NBA Season

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:20 pm

October 23rd, 2015: 5 Predictions for the 2016 NBA Season

Have you grown impatient waiting for the 2016 NBA season to begin? Fortunately, the wait is almost over, as we’re less than a week away from opening night! The NBA’s 70th season tips off on October 27th, with the Chicago Bulls hosting the Cleveland Cavaliers and the defending champion Golden State Warriors taking on the New Orleans Pelicans at the Oracle Arena. Another year of exciting basketball, dazzling highlights, and intriguing stories all around the league; if you’re a hoops fan, chances are you’re feeling pretty pumped right now.

With the offseason behind us and the pre-season drawing to a close, the time has come to start making some predictions about what’s going to happen in the NBA this year. Earlier this week, the GMs of all 30 teams chimed in with some of their predictions for the season, along with their ratings and rankings. Since this is the last Friday before the new season tips off, I thought I’d use this week’s Five to join in the fun, and offer up five predictions for the 2016 NBA season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:52 pm

Nice read Andrew, I feared you were going to put your neck on the line and predict actual teams records and playoff runs lol

It's crazy to think about the Bulls 72 win season was that long ago!

I still have that Bucks game on vhs somewhere though no longer have a vhs player to watch that or my many knicks pontels.

Not sure that record will ever be beaten now with so many more good teams in the league (mainly out west) not taking anything away from that great Bulls run because they were beating everyone.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:58 am

I suppose I should have at least thrown a prediction out there for who would win the championship, but everyone does that and I wanted to be a maverick...while not actually mentioning the Mavericks. ;)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Things NBA Live 17 Absolutely Has To Do

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:35 pm

October 30th, 2015: 5 Things NBA Live 17 Absolutely Has To Do

Normally, this is the type of article that I would write after the most recent release has been out a little longer, but with NBA Live 16 selling a disappointing amount of copies, and NBA Live 17 really having to move the needle and make an impact, I figured I’d start early on some constructive feedback. While I do feel that NBA Live 16 is an improvement over NBA Live 15 and has some good elements and concepts, there is much that needs to be done with NBA Live 17, especially in terms of making it a deep and fully featured NBA sim.

Now, this is all stuff that I’ll be discussing in further detail in future editions of The Friday Five, as well as other articles and of course, the NLSC Podcast. This isn’t intended to be a comprehensive Wishlist article, covering every point in-depth, and listing absolutely every improvement that needs to be made in NBA Live 17. Rather, it’s meant to highlight some of the key improvements and additions that I believe need to be made next year. With that said, let’s take a look at the five things that in my opinion, NBA Live 17 absolutely has to do.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Questions after Week 1 of the 2016 NBA Season

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:46 pm

November 6th, 2015: 5 Questions after Week 1 of the 2016 NBA Season

While there’s still much to discuss on the NBA Live and NBA 2K front, I wanted to talk about some real basketball in this edition of The Friday Five, as we’re just over a week into the 2016 NBA season. There are some interesting stories developing through the first four to six games of the new season, and as a result, a few questions spring to mind. Since a few of them relate back to the predictions I made before the season tipped off, I thought I’d throw them out there, and perhaps make a few more predictions.

Now, it should be acknowledged that it’s still early days, with teams having between 76 and 78 games left to play in the regular season. What happens in November doesn’t always matter come April, or indeed, June. All the same, it’s interesting to take a look at the early trends and noteworthy statistics, and wonder about what’s going to happen next. As such, here are five questions I’d like to put out there after the first week (and a bit) of the 2016 NBA season.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Unlucky Moments in Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:37 pm

November 13th, 2015: 5 Unlucky Moments in Basketball Video Games

Another Friday the 13th is upon us! For those of us who aren’t superstitious, it’s just a day like any other, perhaps even a day of good fortune since the weekend is right around the corner. For those who suffer paraskevidekatriaphobia, however, it’s a day of bad omens and misfortune, and we’ve had three of them in 2015. And yes, despite what my spell checker claims, that is in fact a real word that describes a fear of Friday the 13th. I Googled it.

In previous editions of the Five that have fallen on a Friday the 13th, I’ve discussed unlucky moments in NBA history, and some of my favourite players to have worn the number thirteen. This time, I’m going back to the theme of bad luck, as I examine some of the unluckiest things can happen to us when playing basketball video games. Of course, these things don’t require a supposedly cursed day to occur; unfortunately, they can strike at any time, on any given day.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:00 am

As a Story thread guy, it's one of my scariest nightmares to lose my saves. Also agree with the CPU glitch where the AI is just throwing these crazy three-pointers that go in no matter what and meanwhile you can't even make an easy layup.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:12 am

Yeah, the increased cpu difficulty of just increased ratings and smaller probability windows for users needs to change. They have to do something with the AI instructions so that they adapt to situations quicker or better. I don't call it unlucky, but more unfair momentum swings and predetermined outcomes.

I hated back in the day of cartridges that had batteries. Your saves would be completely gone once it failed.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:16 am

Agreed. Battery backup was the next step up from lengthy passwords, but unfortunately not as robust as the saved game methods that would come after it. As I understand it though, it is actually possible to replace the batteries in those cartridges...not that it helps retrieve a lost save.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Things Every NBA Video Game Must Have

Postby Andrew on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:52 pm

November 20th, 2015: 5 Things Every NBA Video Game Must Have

Since NBA Live 16 and NBA 2K16 have been out for about a couple of months now, there’s been plenty of talk about the good and bad in each game, and what each series should look to do in the next release. While that’s a subject we can (and no doubt will) continue to discuss in great detail with lengthy Wishlists, there are some common themes in our feedback which can be summarised in a short list of must-haves. That’s what this week’s Five is all about: an overview of the things an NBA game must have, to be a great release. In my opinion, at any rate.

Before I begin, I should mention that I’m focusing more on core features than core mechanics, or presentation. Things such as life-like animations and player models, realistic performance and strategy, appealing presentation, good controls and so on…I’m taking that as read, because those are fundamental elements of a basketball video game’s foundation. These are the things that I believe NBA games must have on top of all that; I hope that explains where I’m coming from with my list. With that said, let’s tip things off with item number one…
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: Top 5 Best Trades & Signings I’ve Made in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:10 am

I was away this weekend, so I'm catching up on Forum posts and bulletins. The latest Friday Five, for those who haven't caught it yet...

November 27th, 2015: Top 5 Best Trades & Signings I’ve Made in Basketball Games

By this point in the season, I’m guessing that a lot of basketball gamers have gotten stuck into one of the franchise modes in NBA Live 16, NBA 2K16, or perhaps even one of the older basketball games. I don’t have a Dynasty, MyLEAGUE, or MyGM game going at the moment, but hopefully I’ll get into one before the year is out. As I’ve mentioned many times before in the Friday Five, I’ve been a big fan of franchise modes for many years, and have a lot of fond memories of playing through seasons, messing around with my roster, and winning virtual championships.

Making a great trade or signing is something that can really help create a special franchise experience. It’s adding that final piece of the puzzle, or acquiring a new superstar that gives your team an entirely new look. It’s finding a bargain, or creatively wheeling and dealing to maximise the value that the CPU gives you in return. It’s a deal that makes you better, and increases the “fun factor”. With that in mind, I’m counting down the top five trades and signings that I’ve made in basketball games over the years. Let’s get started with number five…
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: Top 5 Worst Trades & Signings I’ve Made in Basketball Games

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:41 am

December 4th, 2015: Top 5 Worst Trades & Signings I’ve Made in Basketball Games

Last week, I counted down the top five best trades and signings that I’ve made in the franchise modes of basketball games. It was fun to reminisce about some of the deals that really made the games more fun for me, even if a few of them were correcting earlier mistakes. And speaking of mistakes, that’s what I’m taking a look at this week: the trades and signings that didn’t pan out nearly as well as I hoped they would.

Just as a great trade or signing can make a franchise game even more enjoyable, a bad move can greatly detract from the overall experience. A series of bad deals often leads to frustration and boredom, with a roster that’s too thin, too stacked, or just too strangely put together. To paraphrase a certain animated ski instructor, if you make a lot of questionable moves, you’re gonna have a bad time. In that spirit, I’m counting down what I feel are the top five worst trades and signings that I’ve made when playing through the franchise modes of basketball games. Let’s tip things off with number five…
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Mistakes We Make in Basketball Video Games

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:20 am

December 11th, 2015: 5 Mistakes We Make in Basketball Video Games

In this community, we know basketball, and we know basketball video games. When it comes to virtual hoops, I think it’s fair to suggest that we have some people in our community who are pretty good on the sticks. Nevertheless, as much as we know about basketball – the real thing, and its virtual equivalent, be it NBA Live or NBA 2K – there are some mistakes that we’re prone to making. As those mistakes add up, so too do our losses, whether it’s to the CPU in one of the franchise modes, or to other users online.

So, in this week’s Friday Five, I thought I’d list some of the mistakes that we’re prone to making, and offer up some advice on how to avoid them. These are the things that I try to keep in mind when I’m playing NBA Live or NBA 2K; both the pitfalls I’d prefer to avoid, and the strategies I employ to try and do so. Without any further ado, here are five mistakes that we make when we play basketball video games…and a few ways that we can avoid them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 2015 Year In Review

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:30 pm

December 18th, 2015: 2015 Year In Review

Since next Friday is Christmas Day, and then we’re out of Fridays for the year 2015, I thought I’d write my year in review column this week. Scary as it may be to think about, I’d say we’re close enough to the end of the year for a retrospective. It’s been another fun and successful year here at the NLSC, and I’m intending to do my best to ensure that trend continues into 2016. For now though, I’d like to take a look back at the year that was.

For this retrospective, I’ll be listing some of my favourite editions of The Friday Five and episodes of the NLSC Podcast from 2015, and reminiscing about some of the other big moments we’ve had here at the NLSC during the past 12 months. I hope you’ll find it an appropriate way to cap off the year – even if we do still have a little less than two weeks left of it – and that you’ll enjoy my editor’s picks as far as the Five and Podcast are concerned. With that said, here’s my 2015 Year In Review!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: Christmas Day Game Predictions

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:39 pm

December 25th, 2015: Christmas Day Game Predictions

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Seasons Greetings, everyone! Christmas Day is almost over here in Australia, but if you’re on the other side of the world, you might just be waking up to a day that’s hopefully filled with lots of good food, thoughtful gifts, and good times with family and friends. There are also five games on the NBA schedule today, so for the final Friday Five of 2015, I’m posting an abbreviated column with my predictions for this year’s Christmas Day games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:12 pm

Agree with almost all of them.

Kyrie's coming back from an injury and is playing against Stephen Curry. No way anyone in the Cavs roster is capable of shutting down the Splash brothers. 81-1 all the way, I guess.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:20 am

They didn't do too bad a job in last year's Finals, despite a depleted roster.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: The Friday Five: 5 Things I Want To Do with The NLSC in 2016

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:06 pm

January 1st, 2016: 5 Things I Want To Do with The NLSC in 2016

Happy New Year, and welcome to 2016, everyone! I hope you’ve all had a great holiday season, and safely made it through all your celebrations. While New Year’s resolutions aren’t for everyone, I’ve always found the beginning of a new year to be an excellent opportunity to hit the reset button as it were, and set some goals while making a fresh start. After taking a bit of a break towards the end of December, it feels good to get back to work with renewed energy in January.

2015 was another fine year for us here at the NLSC, and I’m pleased with the content that we were able to provide. However, I’m always aiming to make things bigger and better, week by week, month by month, year by year, and to that end, I’m looking forward to striving for that goal in 2016. Since this is the first time New Year’s Day has fallen on a Friday since I started writing The Friday Five, I thought I’d use today’s column to outline a few goals that I have for the site this year.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard