NLSC Podcast - Episode #16

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

NLSC Podcast - Episode #16

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 am

We're a day later than usual, but we're back this week with Episode #16 of the NLSC Podcast.

Episode #16 (February 5th, 2013)

Hosts: Leftos, Andrew, Arcane

Leftos, Ben and I are back this week with the sixteenth episode of the NLSC Podcast, where as always we discuss a couple of our favourite subjects: basketball, and basketball video games. There hasn't been much in the way of news regarding basketball video games this week, so once again we indulge in a little speculation and "Wishlisting", along with giving our thoughts on the most recent happenings in the NBA. Want a quick overview of this week's episode? Here it is:

• There isn't a lot of noteworthy basketball video game news this week, but our modding community has continued to do excellent work, so once again we feel compelled to give some well earned recognition.
  • We offer our thoughts on the Rudy Gay trade and whether or not he's a franchise player.
  • As Leftos is a Pistons fan, we make a point of noting that the last player from the 2004 championship team is now gone.
  • Talk about dependable franchise players leads to a conversation about players with attitude problems and whether or not longer stints in college would make a difference, as we touch on the subject of the NBA's age restriction.
  • We discuss other recent NBA news and rumours including the announcement of the Rising Stars rosters, Brook Lopez being named a replacement for Rajon Rondo in the All-Star Game, rumoured trades and the return of Andrew Bogut.
  • As the conversation turns back to basketball video games, we talk about the things we want to see improved in Dynasty, Association and MyCAREER mode, and read out some of the community's thoughts on the matter.
  • What else do we think is important for the future of basketball video games, especially as we approach the next generation of consoles?

Click here to listen to the show!

As always we welcome your feedback, so please give us your thoughts on this week's episode and any of the topics that we discussed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #16

Postby Pitar on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Well done with the podcast.

Since listening and struggling a bit with my association, I've actually completely reversed on my opinion on features to support stories. I think it would be great if the game straight-up supported exporting your game to html, complete with pages for players, teams, and boxscores. Not too dissimilar to how the baseball sim OOTP has done it.

At the moment in my association story, it's like there are simply too many story lines happening for me to present them all to readers, and it's too much to take care of all the teams, so I've been pondering a lot about a multiplayer association. An export to html would be particularly awesome for multiplayer associations, with everyone being able to observe the league in the detail they want, where they want.

I would be interested to hear exactly how the online association works, and where it is lacking, in 2k13.

This is basically a pipe dream though, since I don't know how such a feature would make sense outside of PC, and I can't imagine them making features for PC when they're usually stripping features out of it!
Pitar

Postby Leftos on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Yeah, don't see it happening any time soon. For offline Associations, that's what you have REDitor and NST for.

Still, we do our wishlists every year, and who knows? Maybe one company (hint hint... no? okay) will listen.
Eleftherios "Leftos" Aslanoglou
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer
Visual Concepts Entertainment / 2K Sports

Used to be "That Tools Guy" around here during the good ol' days. Although you probably remember me as your favorite Podcast host.
Leftos
I'm The Pipeline, The Pipeline Is Me
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for checking out the podcast. :)

That's an interesting idea but I also have my doubts that it'll happen. It'd be pretty cool if 2K's community site supported some story features with the ability to export stats and media along with a blog for news posts and the like, but it seems a long shot. Consider how long it took for them to re-launch their official site for the release of the game the last couple of years. Although they're getting better, online support and integration isn't their forte.

However, if we can dump stats to text files and easily export high quality screenshots and videos to our hard drives, there are plenty of hosting facilities that will allow us to easily utilise that content in story threads.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard