NLSC Podcast - Episode #9

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

NLSC Podcast - Episode #9

Postby Andrew on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm

The podcast is back this week for Episode #9!

Episode #9 (December 4th)

Hosts: Leftos, Andrew

The ninth episode of the NLSC Podcast is out now! Leftos and I are your hosts once again and despite anticipating a shorter episode with fewer topics to discuss, we ended up recording our longest episode to date, as we discussed the latest NBA 2K13 news, the future of the NBA Live series once again and our thoughts on the latest happenings in the real NBA. Topics include:

• The official patch v1.02 is out for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of NBA 2K13; what is the reaction?
  • What do we think of the laundry list of fixes outlined in the patch notes?
  • We speculate briefly on when the patch might come out for the PC version
  • The latest news from the modding community for both NBA 2K and NBA Live is also discussed
  • A disgruntled former Madden developer has let loose on Twitter, prompting a little discussion
  • The aforementioned Twitter rant also contained a couple of NBA Live tidbits, so we once again discuss the future of the series
  • We discuss the controversy between the Spurs and the league last week, and declare whether we're on Team Stern or Team Popovich
  • A few other NBA related topics are pondered and commented upon

Click here to listen to the show!

We hope you enjoy the show as much we enjoyed recording it!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #9

Postby Kenny on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:44 am

Another great podcast again guys (y)

About the autosave feature, I actually like the fact that they're enforcing it. It's not something I do, but I could see a lot of people having a mulligan if they lose a game they really want to win. Personally, I wouldn't want it fixed, because I think it creates an even playing field for everyone. There was one instance in my dynasty where I wished I didn't have an auto-save (I accidentally waived a player), but overall it's been a positive thing I think.

As for last week's question (I know I'm late, but my internet was down for a while), I think there's room for both the level of realism that NBA Live 10 had and what 2k has. Admittedly, I'm pretty inept when it comes to different contract clauses. I have a basic knowledge of Unrestricted Free Agency, Team and Player Options and what not, but sometimes I think it's better to just have a simple system, so you can assemble your team and get the most out of the game play (for me that's always the focus). I agree that trades should be based on form, as opposed to player ratings. Currently in my dynasty, I have a player rated 78, but he's been benched for the system because he doesn't fit into my system (he has awful shooting mechanics that I can't time for the life of me). He has a massive Villanueva-style contract as well. When I put him on the trade block, he's attracted trades of players who are top 10 in their position, so in this instance, I've had to use some discretion.

I'd also like a player's progression to be based on form as well. If you get 20-10 stats with a mid-sixties player, I think their rating should change dramatically on that form. This would mean you'd have to pay them more in free agency and it'd add another element of realism. And perhaps even a player rating that alters depending on what type of system your team plays.

Anyway, I look forward to the next podcast :)
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Re: NLSC Podcast - Episode #9

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks for checking it out, glad to hear you enjoyed it!

QotW hasn't taken off as much as we were hoping it would, at least so far, which is why we didn't throw out another one this week. As such, we'd definitely welcome any answers to last week's question, so that we can hopefully incorporate them into next week's episode.

Interesting insight into Dynasty/Association. For my part, I want to see as much depth and realism as possible. I think the first couple of years should resemble what's likely to happen in the NBA (based on current projections), albeit with generated rookies if you're not using a custom Draft Class (2K only for now, but Live should do that too). After that a bit of fantasy needs to take over, but I want to see a realistic amount of trades, logical trades (for the most part, a few out-of-left-field deals adds a bit of realism in its own right) and players posting the kind of numbers you'd expect.

Having players' trade value and progression based on form is another interesting situation. I'd like to see it happen, but it has to be handled in such a way that it isn't too easy to take a 65 overall player and make them a star player or much sought after by other teams in trade talks. Some kind of hot/cold value on top of a player's abilities would be good to represent fluctuating trade value (not to mention taking things like contract amount and length into account), while there could be some kind of cap on just how much you could boost a player's ratings by playing well with them. There's also the question of how to handle player decline; I'd hate to have my players' three point ratings drop too steeply because of a bad run of three point shooting, for example.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard