NLSC Appreciation

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Monday Tip-Off, Wayback Wednesday, The Friday Five, Top 10 Plays of the Week, and our Parsec Tournaments! This is also a section for NLSC and community announcements, and other site-related topics.

NLSC Appreciation

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:52 am

Hi all,

I've been messaged by several people telling me to show my videos on Reddit and Operation Sports so people can be exposed to the capabilities of PC Modding, and just to draw people to my channel in general. However, both sites are really restrictive. Once a member on Reddit, you have to wait 3 months in order to "Promote" a channel, meaning post my youtube channel. So, the site blocked me when I tried to post the link.

Operation Sports doesn't allow you to create new threads unless you have enough time/posts on the site. The PC section has no thread for videos, and it is hardly ever used. I can't post it on the console portion of the forum, because it will be removed.

This makes me truly appreciate the NLSC and how it runs. A new user can create an account, and immediately access all areas of the forums. It's the definition of posting with freedom.

Thank you, NLSC.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NLSC Appreciation

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:07 am

The downside of our approach is that it leaves the door open for spambots to post garbage when they get past the security settings during registration, but apart from that, it seems to work fairly well for us. Good to know it works for the community and is appreciated. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:26 am

Andrew wrote:The downside of our approach is that it leaves the door open for spambots to post garbage when they get past the security settings during registration, but apart from that, it seems to work fairly well for us. Good to know it works for the community and is appreciated. :)

Yeah, I think the positives outweigh the negatives.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:57 am

There was a time many years ago when we had account activation set to admin only, due to some issues we were having at the time. We've also been able to fine tune our rules and whatnot, and I think we've come up with policies and arrangements that suit our community and keep things running as smoothly as possible.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BPDHoplite on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 am

I made a post about my NCAA mod on MODDB and they archived it within 2 hours :roll:
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Kevin on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Damn, I missed an NLSC Appreciation thread. Don't know if I'll ever love basketball video games if it wasn't for this site. Thanks for making this site awesome, Andrew. Seriously. You made this a "safe haven" for modding and gave creative people the outlet to share their works.

PS: Also thanks for bearing with me, Andrew and bighort. Said a lot of nasty things and did a ton of stupid shit here so it's a miracle I wasn't banned back then.
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words! I think a lot of people say the same thing about their early days posting here, and for my part, it's important that people are given a chance to find their place in the community and grow as posters and contributors. Obviously we're not perfect and we do make mistakes, but we can usually tell when someone deserves a chance to become a better member, and when someone is just here to cause trouble. It's important to set some house rules, but still be a gracious and understanding host.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BPDHoplite on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:52 am

Kevin wrote:Damn, I missed an NLSC Appreciation thread. Don't know if I'll ever love basketball video games if it wasn't for this site. Thanks for making this site awesome, Andrew. Seriously. You made this a "safe haven" for modding and gave creative people the outlet to share their works.

PS: Also thanks for bearing with me, Andrew and bighort. Said a lot of nasty things and did a ton of stupid shit here so it's a miracle I wasn't banned back then.

I just love it when people take the words straight out if your mouth :applaud: :D
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:23 am

This site is pure gold.

I just looked back at your work on the NBA Live Domain, Andrew. I checked out the Wiki as well.

Must have been tough to drop that site in the early 2000's for NLSC, but I am glad you did. Amazing to see that your communication skills were so good back at that time, as teenagers/young adults are normally not that mature, especially when it comes to talking about video games/entertainment. The way you conduct yourself on here professionally goes a long way.

This site opened me up to the UBR, and I traded my Xbox One for a gaming PC because of it in 2014. If it wasn't for this site, I'd still be playing console only. My brother had a ton of anxiety regarding my decision to do the trade at the time, but after he saw the amazing mods gathered off of this site, his perception completely changed. Before I did that trade, I hooked my laptop up to my TV via a VGA cable, and played the game in poor quality just to play the mod on a 50 inch screen. My first ever mod was actually the Charles Barkley and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar mod. which I found on an alternative site. I couldn't believe we could get them into the game, and than when I found the UBR and found out that we could play almost every season in NBA history, I almost fainted. My excitement was off the charts.

We played two full seasons on NBA 2K14 using the UBR mod, 82 games and 12 minute quarters. The memories from those seasons will never go away, we had a ton of fun. Getting into modding myself helped me be more creative, the icing on the cake was the ability to be creative with a sport that I love. Basketball has always been a major part of my life, and the NLSC allowed me to take that part and make it even bigger, it allowed me to take it to the next level.

This forum is vastly underrated, it's a shame that more people don't know more about it.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I've basically always tried to follow the example that Tim, Lutz, and Brien set, from the time I was running the NBA Live Domain to when I took over here and beyond. I can't say that I've never made mistakes because I certainly have, but I've tried to learn from the times that I have erred.

Giving up the NLD was tough because it was something that I'd built from scratch, but it was definitely the right thing to do. In a way it lives on, not only with the tribute subsite that I set up a while back, but also through some of the content I now produce for the NLSC.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Maxie the Miner on Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:55 am

Late to the party but I agree that this is a great site with a great sense of professionalism. Well done!
Hoops gaming favorites: Lakers vs Celtics (SEGA), NBA Live 95 (SNES), NBA Live 97 (PSOne) College Hoops 2K8 (XBOX 360), NBA 2K11 (PC), NBA 2K13 Vintage Mod (PC)
Maxie the Miner

Postby Andrew on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 am

Appreciate you back. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Kevin on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:26 am

Maxie the Miner wrote:Late to the party but I agree that this is a great site with a great sense of professionalism. Well done!

Seriosuky tho, this is more profesionally run than the r.mba reddot. Great staff and an amazing commnurty! Cheers to Andrew, bighort, and stafft!
Rest In Peace Kobe
Kevin
Fuck the Celtics

Postby Andrew on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:18 am

We do our best. :)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Featured Content & Community Noticeboard