Monday Tip-Off: Battlefront II Events in NBA Live 18

Talk about the NLSC Podcast, Wiki and other site related issues and content here. Site and community announcements are also posted in this section.

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Planning a Return to Franchise Modes

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 pm

October 23rd, 2017: Planning a Return to Franchise Modes

My recent Wayback Wednesday series on franchise modes in NBA Live and NBA 2K served to remind me of just how much fun I've had with them over the years. I've wanted to return to franchise gaming for a while now, and writing those articles only added to my enthusiasm. I've gravitated towards MyCAREER and other modes in recent years, which is funny given that in MyLEAGUE and MyGM, we now have some of the deepest franchise experiences in the history of basketball video games. There are reasons why my habits have changed, of course, but I do feel like it's time to make a return to franchise modes.

Now that NBA Live 18 and NBA 2K18 have been out for over a month, receiving multiple official patches and roster updates, it's an opportune time to dive into the franchise experience. With the 2018 season tipping off, my interest in creating a fictional reality on the virtual hardwood has also been piqued. I do still have an interest in the card collecting modes, online team play experience, and MyCAREER, so I'll have to ration my basketball gaming time accordingly. Beyond that, however, I do have a few other matters to consider as I plan a return to the franchise experience that I enjoyed so much as a younger basketball gamer.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: A Call For More Nicknames

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 pm

October 30th, 2017: A Call For More Nicknames

When I finally succeeded in getting my face scanned into NBA 2K18 - or more specifically, The Prelude - it didn't turn out anywhere near as good as my NBA Live 18 scan. As I noted on my Twitter at the time, it ended up looking a little like a combination of young Adam Sandler circa Billy Madison, and young Alan Ruck from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Once the full game came out and I was able to visit Doc's barbershop - expensive haircuts and all - I was able to add a beard. While it still isn't a great likeness, at least it looks a little less like a Sandler-Ruck mash-up.

A few weeks back, I ended up giving my MyPLAYER longish hair, in the process making him look a little like Jaime Lannister from the early seasons of Game of Thrones. I briefly reconsidered renaming him, and even went so far as to outfit him with some yellow wrist tape, in an effort to imitate Jaime's golden hand (uh, spoilers for anyone who still hasn't gotten into GoT yet). I also looked at changing the audio nickname, but the most appropriate choice was probably "Cold Hands". It got me thinking that the selection of nicknames for MyPLAYERs in NBA 2K could definitely stand to be much larger, and more varied.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:59 am

I think it's a good idea to have the option to do 2 initials and their jersey number as that's the formula for most nicknames nowadays (PG13 & CP3 come to mind)
It wouldn't require a lot, just recording all 26 letters and all the numbers should already be in the game
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:50 am

That's what I was thinking, too. As generic as I find those nicknames, they'd be better than Freq, Pres, and D.J. (unless of course, your initials are D.J...but then, you still might not want that backstory).

Andrew
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: The Value of Virtual Currency in The Neighborhood

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 pm

November 6th, 2017: The Value of Virtual Currency in The Neighborhood

Yes, I'm writing about Virtual Currency and NBA 2K18 again. I guess I'm a hater, a biased NBA Live fanboy looking to bash 2K at every turn. According to at least one disgruntled former reader, that's exactly what I am. Or maybe, just maybe, I'm simply a dissatisfied consumer who believes that all of us who play NBA 2K18 deserve to be treated more fairly. Whether it's NBA 2K, NBA Live, NBA Playgrounds, or any other game that we play, we do ourselves a disservice by not speaking up when there are issues. There's no guarantee that we'll get the result we want, but if we don't speak up, we can pretty much guarantee that we won't see the changes we desire.

Frankly, I'm still talking about Virtual Currency because it's an on-going issue. After dropping the prices of hairstyles, facial hair, and hair colours in an early patch, Visual Concepts haven't made further adjustments to VC earnings and in-game prices. Well, that's not entirely true. They've reduced the reward for Player of the Half and Player of the Game in 2K Pro-Am. What they haven't done is increase the VC rewards, bring back the difficulty multiplier, or reduce the prices of clothing and consumables. This is particularly infuriating when you consider the actual in-universe value of Virtual Currency. Thanks to our MyPLAYER card, that's something we can easily figure out.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 am

No difficulty multiplier? So does that lean you play everything on rookie difficulty?

Honestly the prices for gear and haircuts wouldn't be that bad if that's the only thing to spend VC on but when you have to choose between that or improving ratings or the tons of other stuff to spend it on, it's a bit ridiculous.
Capcom has the same model for Street Fighter V where the in game currency is nowhere near enough to get stuff or at least the full game experience without paying. They give you an opportunity to earn 6000 points once every week but there's a dozen new DLC characters at 100000 each plus new stages for 40000 or 70000 and even new costumes for like 30000. If you only want new characters you would have to wait 14 weeks and do the challenges every week to get the points.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:23 am

The lowest difficulty level available in MyCAREER is now Pro, but yeah, it seems to have discouraged people from playing on higher difficulty levels while grinding for Badges.

Yeah, you could possibly ignore the absurd in-universe prices if there was a separate currency for upgrading attributes, but as it stands, it just compounds the frustration.

Andrew
Administrator

Re: Monday Tip-Off: Battlefront II Events in NBA Live 18

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm

November 13th, 2017: Battlefront II Events in NBA Live 18

As you may know, EA Sports recently introduced some crossover content in its sports titles, promoting the upcoming release of Star Wars: Battlefront II. For NBA Live 18, this took the form of Live Events challenges, all of which take place on a fictional Star Wars-themed court (located in Orlando, of course), with various Battlefront II-inspired gear and accessories available in the reward crates. As it stands, there's currently a last call for the Battlefront II Challenge, giving gamers one final chance to earn some Inferno Squad-themed gear for their players to wear in The Streets.

I must admit that with all the grinding I've been doing to improve my NBA 2K18 MyPLAYER for 2K Pro-Am, I haven't taken part in as many Live Events in NBA Live 18 as I'd like. However, having caught the trailer for the Battlefront II events, I wanted to make sure that I at least played a game or two before the promotion was over. The fictional court certainly looked cool, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to stock up on some extra gear for my player to wear in The Streets. As such, I jumped online in NBA Live 18 last week, and managed to take part in a few games.

Andrew
Administrator

Previous

Return to NLSC Hub